What got you into Cyberpunk first.

+
I had played once cyberpunk 2020 and it had been a total disaster so I didn't wanted to have anything with it for years. The book snow crash changed my opinion.

Well, I've read the word "cyberpunk" in the nineties, in one of the articles in "Secret Service" or "Top Secret" polish gaming magazines, but I've never associated it with anything at that time. Then during my high school days, my pal introduced me to PnP Warhammer group. The GM told us about his CP2020 game and hearing about that I instantly got hyped. Unfortunately, nobody had any handbooks which I could borrow, and only later someone sold me a gun sourcebook and this got me extremely hyped and frustrated. Hyped, because I wanted to play that and frustrated, because I still didn't knew how the game look like. There were no Internet at that time and I had no money to buy anything, so I've made a reverse-engineering process and written my own, S-F PnP. Which is extremely naive / crazy, when you think about that now. Nonetheless, I was even able to gather some poor souls and test-run this thing over a few sessions.

So yeah. Since then, after all those years, reading most of the books from CP genre and seeing plenty of CP related movies, CP is one of the topics I find fascinating and I cannot wait to get my hands on CP2077.

Akira was the first anime and the first cyberpunk-ish movie I ever saw. Loaned it as a VHS and it blew my mind. My world was never the same again, as until that point the only animated movies I had seen were Disney movies.

The Neuromancer trilogy as books followed close, along with Masamune Shirow mangas Appleseed and Ghost in the shell.

ps. In fact just the Manga video intro at the beginning of the VHS blew my mind
Yeah I can get that infact the music video that opened Bublegum crisis episode 1 really blew me away

Hard to tell or rather hard to pinpoint to an initial product like a movie. I also grew up with movies like Escape from LA, Ghost in the Shell and other probably forgotten (to the modern or younger consumer) gems. Over time interest in the genre simply manifested, but I never dabbed in any of the classic cyberpunk (I mean this franchise now, like 2020) related games, books or whatever.

Later on, I think game-wise the Deus Ex games and even a bit of Half-Life 2 (with the transhumanist occupying force, modifying anything including people) and the story of the Syndicate game helped cement this modern version of "cyberpunk" in me as a hard genre or setting.

And now we literally get it as a modern game bearing the name (dat rhyme). Even online in open world sandbox games (with voxel-type crafting) there is an acute interest in this and many aim to have such architecture or even whole cities based on this dystopian or modern cyberpunk look. I do look forward to playing games like Dual Universe who then likely offer you the possibilities to build such cities or worlds online almost in an empire-building type fashion - once it's completed. And of course I look forward to playing CP77's very own multiplayer and see more of Night City and maybe beyond it from another perspective not tied to a main protagonist the story revolves around.

Anyway, at this point I wouldn't ask what got me into the cyberpunk genre, but if anything can get me out of it again.

I think I always liked the setting in movies like Blade Runner and scifi movies settings in general but it was when a buddy of mine asked me to fill in for a no show in a session of Cyberpunk 2020 he was running that I fell in love with it.

Initially, I read William Gibson's "Artificial Kid." But what got me really into it was playing the Cyberpunk 2020 pnp back in 1990. I ran a Nomad named "Iron Mike" Greerson. In our campaign and despite the GM's every effort to waste his butt, He became a legend....The Vagabond Messiah.

When I was in middle school in the early 90's I played Shadowrun and it really spoke to me. After that I've had to try just about anything and everything in the genre, hands down it is my favorite genre for any kind of media.

As the one who only waits for an occasion to state BLADE RUNNER IS NOT CYBERPUNK, it was Blade Runner that got me hooked up :) Then came Neuromancer, BG Crisis but I did't really realize what it was, then came CP 2020.

It was Hackers... just kidding :LOL: (not shaming anyone that enjoys it, mind you, I did too back then.) What got me into cyberpunk/neon-noir was two movies: Blade Runner and Strange Days. Both films that I was too young to watch when I did, by the way, but found amazing regardless. The Fifth Element as well, although that one is not too cyberpunk/neon-noir per se.

Summer of '99, a mangy hand-me-down copy of Cyberpunk 2020 with half the pages missing, me and my teenage buddies in the attic of a shed/garage, that's where it started.

Syndicate (1993), Shadowrun (1994), CP 2020 rulebook and Night City book, Hardware (1980s movie).
The setting looked so alien visually yet so familiar thematically, like a crooked mirror it grabbed my attention instantly.

The first book i read as a kid was an old version of neuromancer i picked out of my older brothers shelf (mainly because i liked the cover art - i was 8 years old,very early 90s). Even though i didn´t get the plot and everything write, i was absolutely hooked of the world and augmentations. Besides that i was a big fan of anime and all in all into comic books and animated movies and series

One of my friends introduced it to me when I was kid. I also remember watching Tetsuo: The Iron Man its said to be one of the first Cyberpunk movies ever created. Oh damn, Tetsuo is 89, and Bladerunner 82.

Saw Blade Runner and Akira first but didn't understand them at the time as I was eleven or twelve.
Few years after that I saw Johnny Mnemonic on VHS at my uncles and liked it but didn't know it was Cyberpunk, just thought of it as Sci-Fi.

Later then after seeing the first Matrix in cinemas I got wind of Ghost in the shell and from that point on I learned more about the genre.
Also the internet became more and more of what it is today so information on such things was more available.

I actually only played the PnP game a couple of times. (Was always into D&D and GURPS, myself. :) ) So, pretty much everything I learned about the Cyberpunk universe, I learned by researching stuff about CP2077.

Have to say, if I could go back and get into it earlier, I probably would. Great stuff!

Top Bottom