What got you into Cyberpunk first.

+
I have always had a liking to reading books on robots and AI like Asimov's books and then films like Blade Runner, Kira, Ghost in the shell so not really sure what the beginning was that started it.

loved stuff like Star Wars, Terminator, and Blade Runner when I was a kid (and later Judge Dredd and 5th Element). Most of my friends were into Dungeons and Dragons but I always had this Sci-Fi itch and I would sneak away to read choose your own adventure books or play some Warhammer 40k or tabletop Mechwarrior. I couldn't afford the armies so I never got into like I wanted to. Started high school in 1990 and my friends were SUPER hardcore into D&D. So I had to get all the books, pewter characters painted, custom dice, etc.

In the game book store, while getting my D&D stuff, I came across the sci-fi section. Just writing this now I can remember the absolute joy I felt in finding it and I picked up several books. Shadowrun, Twilight 2000, Robotech, Battlelords of the 23rd century, Battletech, and of course Cyberpunk 2020. I would stay up all night making characters and making my own single player games. No one really wanted to play it because there was no magic, except for Shadowrun but they kinda scoffed at it, and the rules systems were so different from D&D that they didn't want to learn it.

I was a sad panda for awhile. Then around 1994-1996 video games started getting better and we started playing video games aside from our D&D adventures. Then at the turn of the century MMOs took off and the rest was history. Our paperbacks kinda died off and Ion Storm made Deus Ex (which I just devoured) and we all kinda went our separate ways and different colleges. Always wanted to play a Cyberpunk story adventure and never really got to. After 30 years of dreaming about it and making characters and adventures that never got played I finally get to experience it :)

I still have my original copy of 2020 although its starting to yellow just a bit on the edges. I know it sounds silly but its probably going to take me a minute to press the start button when I finally get the game loaded. I would absolutely love it if I could find a way to get Mike Pondsmith to sign my copy of 2020.

I was first exposed to Cyberpunk by Deus Ex, RoboCop, System Shock and Ridley Scott’s Alien.

Especially the latter two horror examples gave me an acute appreciation for the themes of Cyberpunk; that of vulnerable human beings making their way through a horrorscape of corporate technology gone awry. I mean, Cyberpunk 2077 seems fun and all, but there’s nothing like a good infusion of horror to make the ugly side of a genre press down on your throat like a boot of oppressive atmosphere and make you distinctly aware of its urging.

After playing Alien Isolation, I think I was looking for another tickle: Crawling through a derelict space station, abandoned by the corporations because of socioeconomic depression, stalked by androids, trying to slap together various bits of futuristic technology to make them work for you, and hunted by a chitinous, machine-like creature looking to drive itself into your body to subvert its normal function.
Same I guess with SHODAN from System Shock 2 being an AI dominatrix, making unwanted cybernetic alterations to your organic body and treating you like a gerbil with a circuit board implanted.

One of Cyberpunk 2077’s corporations offering you the Midnight Lady and Mr. Studd augments might make us snicker “why not?” - because the meaning of foreign tech intruding upon our human lives might have been lost on us past the 90s, in the Zeitgeist of iPhones and the potential humour of mechanical dick jokes.

It’s in the threat of Horror Cyberpunk raping you into becoming another entity’s incubator or plaything, that still makes me capable of going “Why, god why?” and invoking the feeling that we’ve really gone wrong somewhere.

As for Cyberpunk 2077? CDPR got me here. I like Cyberpunk, but not enough to follow every release. CDPR did that.

Sild

Ex-moderator
I mean, Cyberpunk 2077 seems fun and all, but there’s nothing like a good infusion of horror to make the ugly side of a genre press down on your throat like a boot of oppressive atmosphere and make you distinctly aware of its urging.

Yes'Sir!

I find the Cyberpunk perfect for a distinct and, in my opinion underutilised type of horror. Urban horror. Condemned: Criminal Origins type. And not only, of course.

A lame answer, I know, but it was this forum. :p In early 2018.
And I'm not super into it like many others but I've gone from zero, or even negative, interest to moderately high interest.

One of the players from a D&D group wanted to start running a game of Cyberpunk 2020 and asked me to join and I was hooked. I loved the setting and the fast and brutal combat and I never looked back.

Deus Ex: HR, it was really cool to see how bio-technology and transhumanism played a role in the future. Being in industrial design and software development too it was just interesting to see how far technology can play a role in human lives. I loved the concepts from here the most and Cyberpunk 2077 seemed like the next stepping stone, I'm just ready to be blown away by the next cyberpunk game created by a great dev team like CDPR.

Blade Runner, Akira and Ghost in the Shell. When I first saw Blade Runner, I thought it was boring because the trailers made it look like a pure action movie, when in fact it is an extremely atmospheric, narrative-driven Noir movie set in a Cyberpunk dystopia. Blade Runner inspired both Akira and Ghost in the Shell, as well as countless other Cyberpunk-themed worlds for other movies, games and books and it finally had it's effect on me, as it is now my favorite film of all time.

It is mainly because of Blade Runner that I'm so excited for Cyberpunk 2077 and I hope that the nighttime in the rain reflects the wonderful ambience and atmosphere that Blade Runner had so very much of🤘🏻:cool:

Last edited:
Snatcher on Sega CD back in the day. The world that I experienced playing that game as a kid blew my mind. While other kids were pretending to be soldiers, cops or Michael Jordan or whatever I walked around in my yellow winter coat imagining I was a Junker searching for androids pretending to be human and I even started referring to my sister as Metal Gear lol. Good times.

Ghost in the Shell (Anime) really got me into Cyberpunk.
Did dive further into this from that point on, although i did not
read any books or got my hands on the PnP.

Can't say I was ever "into" cyberpunk. I loved playing Shadowrun with my friends in the mid 90's but I loved it because of the interaction with my friends.. not because of it being cyberpunk. The first I was probably aware of cyberpunk being a thing would have been from an adventure game called Neuromancer I had on my Apple IIe. ...apple chewy...

Blade Runner whet my appetite, but it wasn't until I read Neuromancer in 1984 that I was completely hooked. After that if it was even remotely connected to cyberpunk I read, watched, or played it.

Cyberpunk as a Cyberpunk game or cyberpunk as a genre?

What got me into the game is CDPR, easy.

What got me into the genre? Nothing. I'm not a fan of it nor I hate it. It's just there, I'm ok with it.

What got me would be day 29
When I realized you'd be able to design not just humans, but other sentient lifeforms I was hooked immediately! I have yet to see any of these exotics in the trailers though

Last edited:
Got into and got into... I like mechanical things and science fiction so when I found the Deus Ex series some years ago (10? 15?) I bought the cheapest and liked what I saw.

Guest 3641302

My teen years had Max Headroom and blade runner.
I found a few novels by Gibson & Sterling, then looked up others (WJW, Jon Shirley, etc) and when it came out in 88, bought the 2013 box set. It was the first p&p rpg I ever bothered to learn (I knew about D&D at school, but I was never into hackenslash fantasy).

Johnny Mnemonic, a child's imagination of being a superhero and all the possibilities the future may hold!
Cyberpunk for life!

What probably got me into Cyberpunk was the unusual nature of it all, Cybernetic limbs, Giant killer robots, Genetic Experiments, Freaky aliens that acted like parasites and viruses, that sort of thing,

It was probably the late 90's to early 2000's when I and my brother watched Terminator when we were very young, (6-7) After that I just kind of grew a love of movies with practical effects in them, The Thing, Alien, Predator (Love the urban setting of 2) Virus, Robocop, Starship Troopers, Death Machine that sort of thing,

Pretty much explains my love of scary movie monsters, and why I grew up so deranged ;D .

Top Bottom