What happened to CDPR?

+
Till today I was thinking that what CD PROJEKT RED were doing was undoubtly shady - but still within some kind of law boundaries. Yes - they stripped down like 50% of content - but demos had that disclaimer (work in progress - migh not reflect the final product). They obviously lied about game state on old gen consoles. They changed the game from RPG to linear quasi shooter - but well what really pissed me on was my today finding. After whole that crap with accusation for false advertising they are still doing it.

Here is a na artcile linked from main page of big polish news/info portal - it is clearly sponsored: https://2077.gazeta.pl/2077_Next/0,177472.html?bo=1#do_w=52&do_v=66&do_a=294&s=BoxBizImg1 (you can google translate it as it in polish) - but c'mon ... still selling that lies? Even now? Please

Anyway its an interview with a Principal Writer - and here are the quotes that really got my attention:

Question:
How important is the story to Cyberpunk 2077? Did you devote comparable time and resources to it as in the case of The Witcher?

Writers Answser:
If not bigger! The plot is the backbone of CD PROJEKT RED games, it couldn't be otherwise. Players will get a bloody, multi-threaded and non-linear story that will take at least several dozen hours to play, not including side missions.

Question:
And what does "open world" mean in Cyberpunk? Because it's one of the most important features of this game?

Writers Answer:
For us, that is for scriptwriters, it meant having to face the biggest challenge, which is always constructing a non-linear plot. This is a real task, because the player must have a sense of agency and the feeling of as much freedom as possible - but all possible storylines must, however, connect somewhere, and the story must make sense in each of (many!) Possible permutations.

Question:
It is like trying to describe realistic events with some "math"

Writers Answer:
There is something about it. Our game scenarios resemble large trees; One must remember about all these ramifications and ensure that they do not contradict each other. A lot of mental gymnastics, and sometimes, to be honest, also a headache. But the end result is worth the job as the player feels they are charting their own path through Night City.

Question:
Can you count the heroes that can be found on the streets of Night City? How much time can you spend on the game?

Writers Answer:
It's hard to count! I'm serious, I'm not sure how much it is, because we've "densified" the game world to the very end. Suffice it to say that completing the main plot alone should take several dozen hours, and getting rid of everything that we have prepared much more.

Question:
Several dozen hours to "briefly" discover the game?

Writers Answer:
We wanted Night City not to give the impression of a model, where, as soon as you leave the main path, it blows with boredom and emptiness. That's why in the world of Cyberpunk 2077, there is something going on at every corner. Sometimes it will be a multi-stage side quest, sometimes a short but juicy story. It pays to explore this city, get to know all its nooks and crannies, listen to what is being said on the streets.

Question:
There is no game without vivid characters. Will they be like that in Cyberpunk?

Writers Answer:
I have no doubt! The ones we created for Cyberpunk will be as remembered as those from the Witcher series. It is also worth mentioning that our work was not limited only to writing story missions. We wanted the player to feel that Night City is a real city, living its own life.

Question:
There is no game without vivid characters. Will they be like that in Cyberpunk?

Writers Answer:
I have no doubt! The ones we created for Cyberpunk will be as remembered as those from the Witcher series. It is also worth mentioning that our work was not limited only to writing story missions. We wanted the player to feel that Night City is a real city, living its own life.

Question:
How did you achieve it?

Writers Answer:
We have created several TV channels, each of which has its own program, character and even political preferences, as well as numerous radio stations, an internal internet with numerous pages, and books. Even without following any specific task, you can lose yourself in this city, sink into it.
Are we playing the same game.. Is that interview was for cyberpunk 2077... Cause the game he Is describing Is not this one lol

Every one of those answers is lie if you are speaking in good faith.

I don't think anyone in their right mind expected "discover what is being said in every nook and cranny of the city" would be icons that some lady named Regina THAT YOU NEVER MET would be calling none stop about while the npcs in the world shambled about like zombies with one line or two.

Every one of those answers is lie if you are speaking in good faith.

I don't think anyone in their right mind expected "discover what is being said in every nook and cranny of the city" would be icons that some lady named Regina THAT YOU NEVER MET would be calling none stop about while the npcs in the world shambled about like zombies with one line or two.
You can meet Regina but she is has nothing to say... barebone in every way.. disappointing.

You can meet Regina but she is has nothing to say... barebone in every way.. disappointing.

You can meet her but she starts call you long before.
When she called I was so confused. And when she didnt stop calling I was seeing red.

Are we playing the same game.. Is that interview was for cyberpunk 2077... Cause the game he Is describing Is not this one lol

Yes - that was exactly my feeling as well when I read the article. I don't know anymore - what to think. Either this is deliberate lie, or it is some kind of dellusion - or I am insane.

Yes - that was exactly my feeling as well when I read the article. I don't know anymore - what to think. Either this is deliberate lie, or it is some kind of dellusion - or I am insane.
Nop.. you are good lol ... watched the night city wire episodes yesterday. They showed everything in the game. I mean everything.. that works and is good. There is nothing more in the game that they didnt showed us and some people actually had commented like - oh my god that is not even 10% of the game hahahah... we are just sad people for believing. But well not anymore. My wallet is gonna be soo happy that i dont have a company i can buy games from anymore xD

So I avoided spoilers from about 2017 onwards, and I don't have a big online footprint - so I never got into the articles and youtube content about it.

It's about what I was expecting, but with a lot more missed opportunities and I'm not a fan of the focus on the main quest. All in all though - I'm very happy and impressed with it. Even more so the longer I play it and the more playthroughs I do.

There were a few promises made in content that I've now gone back and checked - so I get that people are off about that - and rightly so.

As for graphics - no - I won't agree with that at all - some moments are just amazing. The lighting on characters etc is incredible - and night city really comes alive with vibrancy, neon, reflections at night. I am playing with everything cranked including RTX though. I think the game world is stunning.

I'm sorry your experience isn't what mine is, but I do freaking love this game more and more the longer I play.
I’d honestly have to agree with you on that. I’m playing on the Xbox Series X, and I am having a blast with the game currently. I can only imagine that the promises that were made in marketing might have been due to changes in the game’s development, but if these promises were to be fulfilled in say, future expansions, I’d have no major objections to it. But I’m not sure what exactly happened in the 8 years since they announced the game, so I ultimately can’t say for certain why things changed or how things can change in the near future.

I've been in support for cyberpunk since the start. I do feel a bit cheated considering the lies regarding its gameplay and whatnot, but all that aside I still feel it as passable for a decent playing experience. Yes things are buggy and it still feels a bit like a beta at times but it's still decent.

Aside from the multiple things I hope they patch, fix, add and/or change (still really don't like the randomness of the gear system) I'm really starting to worry

CDPR has went from fake transparency to radio silence about the game. Not really communicating with the community anymore about whats going on and plans moving forward other then to just "fix the game" and "earn back trust". Two things that are very broad and vague. Honestly the ladder of which seems funny considering the current circumstances.

I'm just worried that they'll pull a Bethesda and leave it up to the community to fix the game and make it better or at least semi-close to what was promised with mods. Something I really don't wanna see, both because I dread the thought of modding games ever since spending hours upon hours trying to get fallout to work with em, and because it's just all kinds of wrong to leave it up to an unpaid community to fix your game for you. Maybe I'm just worrying to much, but it seems to have become common practice in games nowadays to either let the players fix it themselves or put the game out, fix it a bit then just drop it once the minimum requirements are met. I'm hoping CDPR doesn't go that route but after all that's happening, I can't help but have doubts.

I also hope that this game moves forward alot to what has been advertised in the past since I like this Cyberpunk/Netrunner topic pretty much.

I can understand that CDPR has gone in silent mode now though as there are 2 major lawsuits coming towards them and these will be about alot of money so they rather choose to stay silent to not make it worse until some judge will decide what is going to happen.

When UBI hyped The Division and fooled so many players in the past I was angry back then as I preordered it and supported it also from the start just to see something different and watered down content was released. They polished the graphics for gaming expos and videos to hire an external studio which fixed the game and designed them new content in the end...

I hope this kind of behaviour will be stopped by law soon.

I would have never thought CDPR jump on this train, since the witcher games and GOG plattform I had them as one of the last heroes in gaming scene.

If they have really let down their best and experienced devs they shall get them back.

Lets hope for the best.

The first time I loaded up the original The Witcher 1 - it played the launch trailer then crashed to desktop. When it did eventually launch - the atrocious lip syncing and voice work made me laugh. The bad translations made questing really hard, and had to load frequently to roll back when things broke - which was often.

Fast forward to the release of the enhanced edition and it was worlds apart.

The first time I loaded up The Witcher 2 - it ran so poorly it was unplayable. I'd frequently get stuck on things in spots I couldn't get out of it, and there was no end to issues graphical anomalies - weapons vanishing mid fight and all sorts of quirks. My bombs used to explode when I'd release to throw.

Fast forward to the release of the enhanced edition and it was worlds apart.

The first time I loaded up The Witcher 3 - I spent a large portion of the game riding literally on Roach's arse as he galloped around on his front two hooves.

I could expand on The Witcher 3 issues I had - but that first ones should tell you everything you need to know about how I felt about it.

Fast forward to the release of the Enhanced Edition Complete Edition and it was worlds apart.

I'm not worried.

Aren't these guys Bethesda already?
We just need a guy to sing us "it just works" in polish and we are half way there.

Tbh honest I assume we won't get anything until its back on PSN.. Atm I'd like a patch tonight.

This week.
Today even.

Guys I'm probably exaggerating, but doesn't all this change seem ironic and absurd in a game that constantly criticizes corporations whose only interest is to earn money don't caring about what people think or feel?

Of course the comparison is risky, but this must make us reflect on how much a company can truly be honest and "respectful" with their customers in the longer term, especially when there are investors involved, like in this case.

It's not their fault, they need to earn after all. That's way I think the game will only be fixed for last generations.

I can't lie and say I'm NOT afraid something like that could happen but, I gotta be hopeful.

I think CDPR probably weighed the situation, had more than a couple of meeting about releasing it as they did. They knew, if they dropped a buggy game that showed a LOT of promise, they'd suffer fewer cancelled pre-orders than if they delayed the game AGAIN.

I can't say that was an incorrect assumption considering how much grief CDPR took for the last two delays. Personally, I would rather they'd delayed the release another year but, I am old and I have nearly an infinite supply of patience.

I can't lie and say I'm NOT afraid something like that could happen but, I gotta be hopeful.

I think CDPR probably weighed the situation, had more than a couple of meeting about releasing it as they did. They knew, if they dropped a buggy game that showed a LOT of promise, they'd suffer fewer cancelled pre-orders than if they delayed the game AGAIN.

I can't say that was an incorrect assumption considering how much grief CDPR took for the last two delays. Personally, I would rather they'd delayed the release another year but, I am old and I have nearly an infinite supply of patience.

They decided on the release date. No one else decided that for them

They decided on the release date. No one else decided that for them
And your point is? I think I said that very thing. THEY decided releasing it as it was was better than waiting...thought I was pretty clear.

At this point, whatever they would say would be criticized, so can't blame them for saying nothing.

Actions talk louder then words.

Wait and see.
Oh yeah, their PR ship sailed way back in Nov when they delayed for three more weeks. That fiasco was...a fiasco.

Top Bottom