What happened to CDPR?

+
Ubisoft at least has been trying to innovate on each of their games and take criticism.
Comparing W3 to CP2077 i can't say there is any innovation.
Absolutely agree. I have a love & hate relationship with Ubisoft. I hate AC Odyssey for what Assassin's Creed has become but I also can't deny how massive that game is. They still managed make it relatively polished at launch.
I also have my share of problems about Far Cry 5 & Watch Dogs but those games are enjoyable.
Cyberpunk not only doesn't innovate from Witcher 3, most aspects of the game are worse than W3.
Characters, side quests/gigs, open world, random encounters are a huge downgrade in Cyberpunk.

Ubisoft at least has been trying to innovate on each of their games and take criticism.
Comparing W3 to CP2077 i can't say there is any innovation.

Not true, CP2077 systems are much more refined than TW3, problem is that CP77 has too much cut out of it atm.
Like actually the main/+sidequest design in CP77 is quite nice and organic compared to most previous linear story rpgs and the concept is great - to have sidequests affect the whole thing organically and accumulatively instead of in a binary way. I think that's actually quite interesting and new approach to role-playing in crpgs, but yeah here it is like their first attempt at it so maybe it was not completely successful in it's current state.

1) Overconfidence for sure.
2) Game design leads who have zero creativity or ambition. Upper management became too old, too successful and too lazy. Continuing rising success of CDPR probably led them to believe they know better.
3) It seems their technical department is absolute bloody mess. I don't what's the reason - poor organization, lacking talent, not enough people. Something is terribly wrong there. I vaguely remember someone from CDPR mentioning that they need serious restructuring of tech. side.

Could be some bizarre dynamics between the developers, managers and the top people at the company. There could be a lot of bad communication between teams, and people trying to please their bosses. Or bosses not listening to their subordinates (concerns, ideas etc).

They could be growing too fast as a company, experiencing a high turn-over and just not coping well as an organization.

Last edited:
That's too bad mate, sorry to hear. Perhaps the game just isn't for you. I got what I paid for and it was the first game I decided to pre-order ever. While there are flaws, nothing has been game breaking for me so far. I still haven't finished RDR2 or GTA5 because they are rather daunting after a few hours and not immersive in the slightest. In any case best of luck with that next game
My friend this is the problem ... You didnt buy the game that was promised ... i am talking while i sunk 160+ hours on the game and already on my second run, but still not by far the game that promised and time will prove that i am right. The DLCs will be actually the promised features, the patches will be the promised features and sadly the paid expansions will actually be the things that promised. You know its like i bought a game on Kick strarter - i gave the money to make the game. For me at current state if i was told EXACTLY what i am buying, i would still buy it with the promise of future updates. Sadly our only hope for this game is SONY, to press CDPR not only to release the game optimised at their platform but also at a state of the game that was advertised, because i think that PS4 -PS5 players are not gonna be happy if their game just comes in par with PC version (with the known problems AI,Police etc etc)

2) Game design leads who have zero creativity or ambition. Upper management became too old, too successful and too lazy. Continuing rising success of CDPR probably led them to believe they know better.
3) It seems their technical department is absolute bloody mess. I don't what's the reason - poor organization, lacking talent, not enough people. Something is terribly wrong there. I vaguely remember someone from CDPR mentioning that they need serious restructuring of tech. side.
It only gets worse from here, a lot of people like cyberpunk as is so they have no reason to improve or learn from this.

Not sure about the third point, but your first 2 points are probably right. I started to doubt about their upper management since Thronebreaker.

The idea was in 2012. Production in 2016. 4 years of concepts, ideas, stories, artwork. 4 years of production. That's actually pretty damn good.
If this is pretty damn good, I don't want to see mediocre.

It does not matter if the game looks impressive for 4 years of development, because it was definitely not ready for release. People say the game needs another 6 months.

If you ask me, it needed additional 2 years.

Had my first crash today. CDPR can no longer be defended. I'm playing on a PS4 Slim. Cyberpunk should be able to run on it as advertised. Finally decided to put the game down until it works as intended. Feeling weird about all of this. Bordering on pissed off and confused. What happened CDPR? Never has a the poor state of a videogame got me to feel negative. Perhaps its because I believed it was going to be the game I play all 2021. Perhaps its the years wasted tooting CDPR's horn. I convinced a few friends to pick this game up. They skipped the Witcher series. Jumped right into CP2077. Got their refunds. I was one of the dumbasses that pre-ordered this game. Doing my best not to feel robbed. This game is a fuck up for those of us on the old gen-consoles. I hope it wasn't some kind of ploy to get us to jump up to the newer consoles. Thats just the confused conspiracy theorist talking. I think I am actually hurt. I don't want my money back yet and I don't have to ask nicely, seeing as I paid a considerable amount of money for this game. Millions of us did. Fix this shit. CDPR! I ride your dick no more.

Had my first crash today. CDPR can no longer be defended. I'm playing on a PS4 Slim. Cyberpunk should be able to run on it as advertised. Finally decided to put the game down until it works as intended. Feeling weird about all of this. Bordering on pissed off and confused. What happened CDPR? Never has a the poor state of a videogame got me to feel negative. Perhaps its because I believed it was going to be the game I play all 2021. Perhaps its the years wasted tooting CDPR's horn. I convinced a few friends to pick this game up. They skipped the Witcher series. Jumped right into CP2077. Got their refunds. I was one of the dumbasses that pre-ordered this game. Doing my best not to feel robbed. This game is a fuck up for those of us on the old gen-consoles. I hope it wasn't some kind of ploy to get us to jump up to the newer consoles. Thats just the confused conspiracy theorist talking. I think I am actually hurt. I don't want my money back yet and I don't have to ask nicely, seeing as I paid a considerable amount of money for this game. Millions of us did. Fix this shit. CDPR! I ride your dick no more.
Wait until January patch comes and the game is still broken. February patch comes and the game is still broken. If the game could've been fixed within a month or 2 then CDPR would've delayed it for a spectacular release. They aren't fixing anything bud. They already told everyone that the day 1 patch was going to fix the game and all the early reviews mean nothing, the game is completely different with the day 1 patch. They already lied about fixing the game just so they didn't lose any pre-orders. Now they are lying to people about fixing the game on january/february so it will be too late for you to refund.

Well that is a complete and utter lie.

Actually it´s true to some extend. The classic RPG elements are more present in CP2077 than they are in TW3:
  • Amount and complexitiy of skills
  • Gameplay options/varations/mechanics
  • Items (allthough I think looting is pretty poor in CP2077, item usage in TW3 basicly boils down to crafting witcher armour sets)

That being said, I don´t think that is what people look for in these games. TW3 is brilliant despite the abovementioned points being more or less subpar compared to the classic RPG.
What I and probably most people liked so much about TW3, is the world and story they build in it. You feel the love and attention to detail they put into that game and that´s what makes it such a great experience.

CP2077 on the other hand misses that in most aspects. It feels shallow, unfinished and raw - like an early beta build of a great game in the making. Combined with the massive amount of effort poured into marketing and promises, you kind of feel betrayed.

Actually it´s true to some extend. The classic RPG elements are more present in CP2077 than they are in TW3:
You do realize most of the skills are just "Damage, damage, crit chance, crit damage, damage, damage, more hp, damage, crit chance, does more damage under certain conditions, higher crit chance under certain condition, higher crit dmg under certain conditions" that doesn't make it more refined. As for complexity, what are you referring to? Can't be detected while underwater? Higher carry limit? Very complex indeed. Adding more of essentially the same thing but slightly reworded doesn't add to the complexity or make a game more refined.

Most of the mechanics/options don't even work dude, so how are they more refined? Monowire doesn't work like it should, perks don't work like it should, stats don't work like they should, many many skills don't work like they should but what DOES work is the ability to do damage with a gun or melee weapon. The variations in this game is just which way you want to one hit kill someone? Through a wall? With melee? Or with an aoe.

• Items (allthough I think looting is pretty poor in CP2077, item usage in TW3 basicly boils down to crafting witcher armour sets)
Many items don't work and you admit looting is poor. So you are admitting it's unrefined. Refined would mean having a system that works as intended and is fleshed out and isn't full of bugs.

CP2077 on the other hand misses that in most aspects. It feels shallow, unfinished and raw - like an early beta build of a great game in the making. Combined with the massive amount of effort poured into marketing and promises, you kind of feel betrayed.
So it's unrefined. A refined game would not feel shallow unfinished or raw. That is literally the opposite of refined.

That being said, I don´t think that is what people look for in these games. TW3 is brilliant despite the abovementioned points being more or less subpar compared to the classic RPG.
What I and probably most people liked so much about TW3, is the world and story they build in it. You feel the love and attention to detail they put into that game and that´s what makes it such a great experience.

For me in a nutshell, and I say this with total love for Cyberpunk;

In The Witcher 3 we felt like we knocked down walls in the world and really influenced people and made a mark.

In Cyberpunk I feel like I barely scuffed the paint.

So it's unrefined. A refined game would not feel shallow unfinished or raw. That is literally the opposite of refined.

I didn´t say the RPG elements are good in CP2077, I said they are more present than for example TW3. Yes most of the skills are useless, but there are some nice ideas that change and influence the way you play. CP2077 has hacking, shooting, stealth and melee and you can choose how you want to play.
Does that make it a better game? No ofcourse not. But with all the discussions I feel like we need some perspective.

The game is unrefined and there is so much more potential, but people act like TW3 is the messiah of open world RPGs, which is just not true in some aspects (still one of the best games i´ve ever played, don´t get me wrong).
Post automatically merged:

For me in a nutshell, and I say this with total love for Cyberpunk;

In The Witcher 3 we felt like we knocked down walls in the world and really influenced people and made a mark.

In Cyberpunk I feel like I barely scuffed the paint.

Exactly, TW3 has a very solid concept that was brilliantly excuted. That makes it feel complete and like you have a meaningful impact on your bubble of the world.
The CP2077 world looks great, but is really just a fassade for the main story lines, not much to explore or do.

Last edited:
I feel like I jinxed it before the game released, as I kept on praising CDPR thinking they where one of the last remaining companies to create the specific type of RPG that I enjoy. (Romance, story branching, character bonding/development)
Turns out they have no idea how to create a proper RPG. I literally only have one game company that I can turn to now, sad times...

Anyway I'm going to stick my bet on over confidence and greed, which for a relatively smallish company I'm surprised about. They probably thought they are better than what they are due to the success of The Witcher winning countless awards and getting a Netflix show ha! I mean already we have a show based on Cyberpunk coming soon.

I have to admit I think the The Witcher Netflix show is actually rather good though and Henry Cavill is a great choice for Geralt, really manages to nail the voice too imo. I think if he replaced Keanu Reeves as Johnny I would be much happier and it would certainly tick one box for me in things I want to see improved or removed, despite the fact I dislike celebrities in video games.

Alas though for whatever reason they decided to opt with a mediocre actor who I'm sure will not get removed or replaced, maybe his screen time can be reduced? I guess even then we are pushing it a bit 'sigh'

The game overall is lacking.

The lootgame is poor and even more boring than what 'the division' offered when it was released. Lots of guns behave pretty similar as well.
The lootgame is not even needed to this extent. Mass effect 2 made it better in that regard. A selection of very different but satisfying guns. Add customisation and we are good to go.

Crafting is boring and grindy.

The skill system is just inflated skills with +damage in diversive ways shapes and forms. Only 2 new abilities are added. Odysseys skill trees are small and shallow but at least they offer new abilities and possibilities to tweak gameplay.

Cybernatics were dumbed down big time but at least they help you adjust playstyles.

Customisation is laughable. The who world's concept is based on one premise "style over substance". Clothing is not a question of style but stats. Want neomilitarism? Too bad. Your stuff has the wrong stats.
In addition, I can't even hide the two headslots or the jacket.

And this is just covering the more or less funktioning aspects of the game.

Rushed, unfinished and unsatisfying.

CP2077 got it's cons and pros, but the worst thing for me was that on HARD difficulty from around lvl40 i was running NAKED with only pistol in my hand as a hacker and i was like THANOS. All the fixer jobs, police jobs etc i didn't even have to move just 4 demons ON and that's it, final guy go down after 12 seconds.
It was also bit odd that no one in the whole city noticed that i was running naked...

pretty sure two things happened: first - they wanted to do cash grab, second - game development was very longish, screwed torture for devs with crunch mode on.

you cannot delay game indefinitely, you need to pay bills and rest. Now they just need to move on, rest and create next game better.

Top Bottom