What happened to CDPR?

+
I am playing assassins creed odyssey right now.
It does lots of things better than cyberpunk 2077 and that's a damn shame.
Man do I hate odyssey lol I love the greek mythology and bought the cmplete edition (on sale for like $24) I skipped the story to get to the atlantis dlc (because the story was wack I tried for 10hrs) and then didn't even get to atlantis after skipping to the dlc cause the gameplay sucked still

even tho i have cyberpunk uninstalled cause of the bugs and performance, I still played it for 6x as long as odyssey before the bugs annoyed me. All this game need IMO is stability and performance patches and I will dive back in.

Also odyssey crashed for me like 5 times in one sitting and that was when I refused to play it anymore.

Man do I hate odyssey lol I love the greek mythology and bought the cmplete edition (on sale for like $24) I skipped the story to get to the atlantis dlc (because the story was wack I tried for 10hrs) and then didn't even get to atlantis after skipping to the dlc cause the gameplay sucked still

even tho i have cyberpunk uninstalled cause of the bugs and performance, I still played it for 6x as long as odyssey before the bugs annoyed me. All this game need IMO is stability and performance patches and I will dive back in.

Also odyssey crashed for me like 5 times in one sitting and that was when I refused to play it anymore.

For me the issue of Odyssey is that the item/economy/progression systems are flawed on purpose to make the microtransactions more appealing.

Other Ubisoft games, despite having microtransactions (which is a complete joke) doesn't have a rigged system to force you into it (I'm talking about the ones I played).

Oh, thanks for reminding me! Their stupid shows! These are Night City Wire. Where they lied, lied with smiles, with joyful faces, lied FIVE SERIES IN A ROW!

Revisit Night City Wire now, post-release. Hear how they described Braindans. As if it were going to be an important mechanic that we can immerse ourselves in the lives of other Night City residents through braindance. WHY DID THEY SAY THIS? Why did they talk about things that are not in the game?

Hear how they talk about their quests. They say "we won't have fillers in this game." And then it turns out that ALL THE SIDE QUESTS ARE FILLERS Worse than UBISOFT!

They said it on June 26th. 2020. At that moment, THEY ALREADY KNEW THE TRUTH! Because the game was already in the final stages of development. They told us what we want to hear.
Post automatically merged:

Is this a normal radio? Why did they take away the radio from us and in the final version of the game we talk ON THE DETONATOR? I just don’t understand anything. This is madness. This is me going crazy or the developers.

Attachments

• Desktop Screenshot 2021.01.07 - 00.00.19.92.png
    Desktop Screenshot 2021.01.07 - 00.00.19.92.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 112
  • Desktop Screenshot 2021.01.07 - 00.09.09.50.png
    Desktop Screenshot 2021.01.07 - 00.09.09.50.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 106
Last edited:

Guest 4375874

My friend this is the problem ... You didnt buy the game that was promised ... i am talking while i sunk 160+ hours on the game and already on my second run, but still not by far the game that promised and time will prove that i am right. The DLCs will be actually the promised features, the patches will be the promised features and sadly the paid expansions will actually be the things that promised. You know its like i bought a game on Kick strarter - i gave the money to make the game. For me at current state if i was told EXACTLY what i am buying, i would still buy it with the promise of future updates. Sadly our only hope for this game is SONY, to press CDPR not only to release the game optimised at their platform but also at a state of the game that was advertised, because i think that PS4 -PS5 players are not gonna be happy if their game just comes in par with PC version (with the known problems AI,Police etc etc)
It would help if you indicated what features you were promised that weren't delivered on. The argument that things will be added in DLC is a loaded argument. No matter what they put out you will see ppl scream "see that was supposed to be there" even if it wasn't.

That's the new norm in the gaming community. You can look back decades, things get cut from games or the direction changes. That is not new and several other AAA titles have done the same, what's important is whether they were clear with what was changed before. So with that said I can't point to a single thing that they devs have promised but blatantly removed . If an idea they had couldn't make it into the completed game and they can add it later on I'm all for that so long as the finished product wasn't incomplete without it or it wasn't added with a microtransaction and I got my money's worth.

I didn´t say the RPG elements are good in CP2077, I said they are more present than for example TW3. Yes most of the skills are useless, but there are some nice ideas that change and influence the way you play. CP2077 has hacking, shooting, stealth and melee and you can choose how you want to play.
Does that make it a better game? No ofcourse not. But with all the discussions I feel like we need some perspective.

The game is unrefined and there is so much more potential, but people act like TW3 is the messiah of open world RPGs, which is just not true in some aspects (still one of the best games i´ve ever played, don´t get me wrong).

Exactly, TW3 has a very solid concept that was brilliantly excuted. That makes it feel complete and like you have a meaningful impact on your bubble of the world.
The CP2077 world looks great, but is really just a fassade for the main story lines, not much to explore or do.
LOL do you have any idea how buggy WItcher 3 was at launch? I had main quests that I couldn't complete and had to start over if I didn't have an older save and the inventory system was terrible until they patched it. Geralt kept dying if he stepped off a small ledge...good times. Everyone praised the game after it was polished though. It's like you ppl have memories that don't go past 5 years. [...]

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what happened. I was never a huge CDPR fan, though I really enjoyed Witcher 3. I really enjoy RPG games, by far my favorite genre. I was expecting CP2077 to be a good RPG, on the level of Witcher 3 at the very least. But CP2077 doesn't feel like an RPG most of the time. I mean it has a skill tree and everything. But every upgrade is essentially a numbers bump (3% damage is now increased to 6% damage etc...). I think good RPGs are slowly going extinct. Larian studios is my only hope for a good RPG. Divinity Original sin 2 was perfect, and Baldur's gate in early access is phenomenal. It's sad that I slowly see myself becoming a casual gamer, because there's no good games to become truly invested in anymore. I find myself just playing more and more of Prominence Poker on my PS4 lol.

I remember buying the witcher 1 in 2008.. i was 14 and in the store there was 2 of the developers which btw they left after witcher 3 i think cause they are working on different projects and they were soo happy that people actually like the game and with the money they were making the witcher 2..
To be really honest i played the witcher 1 for the story. I like games with stories but the gameplay was not good. When witcher 2 hit and when i played it i was like wow... For a lot of people witcher 3 was the WOW for CDPR but for me it was witcher 2 because even though i did not like the gameplay i loved the first witcher game.
This CDPR is not the same one and we all knew that or atleast i thought we all knew lol.. but we hoped that atleast they wont lie. Well they did. And a lot actually xD .. I havent seen soo much bait and switch since the days when i was hooking up with 3 girls at the same time. Ahh gotta love kindergarden. Anyway the trust i had its lost and i dont think its gonna be back cause it was obvious that they did not care about the players. And cyberpunk 2077 turned out to be the game that they promised it wont be...

Last edited:
I remember buying the witcher 1 in 2008.. i was 14 and in the store there was 2 of the developers which btw they left after witcher 3 i think cause they are working on different projects and they were soo happy that people actually like the game and with the money they were making the witcher 2..
To be really honest i played the witcher 1 for the story. I like games with stories but the gameplay was not good. When witcher 2 hit and when i played it i was like wow... For a lot of people witcher 3 was the WOW for CDPR but for me it was witcher 2 because even though i did not like the gameplay i loved the first witcher game.
This CDPR is not the same one and we all knew that or atleast i thought we all knew lol.. but we hoped that atleast they wont lie. Well they did. And a lot actually xD .. I havent seen soo much bait and switch since the days when i was hooking up with 3 girls at the same time. Ahh gotta love kindergarden. Anyway the trust i had its lost and i dont think its gonna be back cause it was obvious that they did not care about the players. And cyberpunk 2077 turned out to be the game that they promised it wont be...
I always thought Witcher games were overrated. They had great stories and characters dont get me wrong, but the actual gameplay, RPG mechanics, and things to do in the world were always very poor.

It would help if you indicated what features you were promised that weren't delivered on. The argument that things will be added in DLC is a loaded argument. No matter what they put out you will see ppl scream "see that was supposed to be there" even if it wasn't.

That's the new norm in the gaming community. You can look back decades, things get cut from games or the direction changes. That is not new and several other AAA titles have done the same, what's important is whether they were clear with what was changed before. So with that said I can't point to a single thing that they devs have promised but blatantly removed . If an idea they had couldn't make it into the completed game and they can add it later on I'm all for that so long as the finished product wasn't incomplete without it or it wasn't added with a microtransaction and I got my money's worth.

LOL do you have any idea how buggy WItcher 3 was at launch? I had main quests that I couldn't complete and had to start over if I didn't have an older save. It's like you ppl have memories that don't go past 5 years. [...]
No argue there just look at 5 wires and if you think that the game that you play is the game they presented.... OK then

Those people mocking Ubisoft should try the wonderful 3 games they delivered this end of the year: AC Valhalla (actually the last 3 AC games), Watchdogs legion and specially Immortals fenyx rising, there's definitely no comparison here.

I only bought this because it was CDPR.. In fact, I pre ordered, and thats something I NEVER do! I have no knowledge of Cyberpunk, o its lore, and didnt watch anything prior to release.. Only that it was from CDPR, and was supposed to be an "RPG".. So I played completely blind. Even knowing nothing, and having no preconceived notions, I was shocked at how identifiable cut content was, or missing /unfinished parts.. In everything from story, to mechanics, to performance.. I am shocked! I was actually enjoyiong it for a time, but as it dragged on, I became more and more aware that stuff is missing. It feels incomplete, almost as if it were all patched together in the last few months or something. Very little is cohesive. Police are a joke, theres no gang rep/affiliation, i dont know ANY of these people calling me... Its all been listed to death, so I wont go through it all again. But wtf?!

I have now, regrettably, watched the gameplay demo from 2018, and wow! Wheres THAT game?! I cannot find rpg anywhere in this game, aside from character creation, and progression. Most games have ability trees now. Even 4x games, and such. None of the choices were real, there was no interaction with the world, and it all felt very rushed because of the "youre dying" thing. It felt wrong to do side missions, because if Im dying, Im not doing ANYTHING until Ive solved that.. In spite of that, i did do some side content, trying to force myself to ignore that nagging main plot. Then I decided to meet th Girl at the point of no return.. What a Sh*tshow! A horrible ending! I tried several outcomes, and all were disappointing, as was the lazy way it was handled! (all of these conclusions, I came to on my own, prior to viewing any other footage, or reading online outrage. I want that to be clear. I sought this info out, because i 'FELT' something was off)

I honestly dont know what to say.. I tried to refund it, then canceled my ticket because i felt guilty for having played 80ish hours. The ONLY reason, is that I like cdpr, and want to believe theyll fix this. Even though I know, deep down, that its probably just going to be bug fixes, then some free dlc in the form of hair stylists, and clothing. Im praying for some Witcher level expansions that really expand on much needed features, and cut content. There are factions we never saw, factions we met once and were done, etc. Sop much missing, and wasted potential. Im just, sad. This honestly feels more like a Far Cry, or Assassins creed game, than from the people who lovingly crafted everything in Witcher 3, which Ive spent over 800hrs in, and still play (along with both Witcher 1 and 2, having 150 and 250 hrs in respectively)

Edit: In spite of these criticisms, I did have fun. My game ran relatively fine on an 1070fe, with i5-4690k in 1080. It was some fun, but I played it once, and feel theres no reason to play again. It was very quickly over, with me desperately trying to put off the main missions the entire time. Its fun, but severely lacking.

What was done pretty well: story, graphics, art, atmosphere, music.

What was done badly: gameplay, roleplay, choice making, balance and progression.

CDPR had no experience in making FPS and action RPG. They only did witcher series - a story rich action-adventure.
Now their game designers had no idea how to make RPG (really basic and boring, some perks are actual +3% damage to some weapon type, wtf is that). No weapon or armor requirements - only heavy sniper and revolver require 6 body. You can literally play the whole game as non-leveled jack of all trades and you will be fine. I actually finished the game like it, on very hard, without problems. In real RPG, building a character defines your playstyle. Not enough investments into some stats? You can't do magic, can't be archer, can't be two handed melee fighter, and so on. Here you can. In new vegas build planning is fun. I want that weapon, I want this armor, here how I'll approach to progression, and so on. In cyberpunk it is "whatever, I'll just pickup whatever enemies drop, put on the best and sell the rest". There is no reason to plan anything. There are no cool items. All iconics is rubbish and not worth spending a second to upgrade. You always get better drop, just pickup everything.

CDPR never made shooters, and they really should hire someone, who could make design something more creative, than poor man's borderlands knockoff with randomised stats and evened out DPS across weapon classes. Good shooters offer something more than DPS number: recoil pattern and progressions, more drastic distance damage falloff (as most combat situations in cyberpunk happen in close distance, really), spray control, movement control (different weapons have different movement accuracy penalty), armor penetration, projectile speed, projectile type (not only hitscan check - arced grenades, rockets, bullets, arrows, plasmaballs, fireballs. electric arcs, lasers, wide energy waves, you name it).

Cool...Rogue's path...WOOHOO Finally!!! The Major Leagues!!! Ohhh, you still die
Panams path...Yes!!! Accepted by the Nomads!!! Ohhhh right. still die
Takemura's Path.....ohhh ya, you die!
You mean i can get my body back and, you know, still die?

At least in W3, you had to screw up majorly in order to have the "I die!" ending. This game, you just die. The path maybe different, but the end result is the same

[Added spoiler tags.]
And that's exactly my point! No matter what you do, that's bound to happen! "Still binary to some extent". You do this, then this happens, you don't do it, then it doesn't happen. Outcome? Almost the same. For now at least, we have expansion coming. Those hopefully solve this.

I let the game digest in my mind for a couple weeks now.

From crpg perspective I'd say it is on the level of something like DAI (Inquisition), not counting bugs. Up to you to say whether that's good or bad or just meh.

-Fun to play with different abilities and builds when not thinking too much? Check
-Needlessly grindy at times in some of its designs? Check
-Groundbreaking vs conservative/familiar tropes and mechanics? - more on the conservative side check
-Main story just kinda gets you through in both, I would not say it is as engaging as some others because in both cases the main antagonist(s) if there are any are an afterthought
-Even the side-mission activities "go here clear that" take it off the checklist is kind of like in DAI as someone pointed out.

Till today I was thinking that what CD PROJEKT RED were doing was undoubtly shady - but still within some kind of law boundaries. Yes - they stripped down like 50% of content - but demos had that disclaimer (work in progress - migh not reflect the final product). They obviously lied about game state on old gen consoles. They changed the game from RPG to linear quasi shooter - but well what really pissed me on was my today finding. After whole that crap with accusation for false advertising they are still doing it.

Here is a na artcile linked from main page of big polish news/info portal - it is clearly sponsored: https://2077.gazeta.pl/2077_Next/0,177472.html?bo=1#do_w=52&do_v=66&do_a=294&s=BoxBizImg1 (you can google translate it as it in polish) - but c'mon ... still selling that lies? Even now? Please

Anyway its an interview with a Principal Writer - and here are the quotes that really got my attention:

Question:
How important is the story to Cyberpunk 2077? Did you devote comparable time and resources to it as in the case of The Witcher?

Writers Answser:
If not bigger! The plot is the backbone of CD PROJEKT RED games, it couldn't be otherwise. Players will get a bloody, multi-threaded and non-linear story that will take at least several dozen hours to play, not including side missions.

Question:
And what does "open world" mean in Cyberpunk? Because it's one of the most important features of this game?

Writers Answer:
For us, that is for scriptwriters, it meant having to face the biggest challenge, which is always constructing a non-linear plot. This is a real task, because the player must have a sense of agency and the feeling of as much freedom as possible - but all possible storylines must, however, connect somewhere, and the story must make sense in each of (many!) Possible permutations.

Question:
It is like trying to describe realistic events with some "math"

Writers Answer:
There is something about it. Our game scenarios resemble large trees; One must remember about all these ramifications and ensure that they do not contradict each other. A lot of mental gymnastics, and sometimes, to be honest, also a headache. But the end result is worth the job as the player feels they are charting their own path through Night City.

Question:
Can you count the heroes that can be found on the streets of Night City? How much time can you spend on the game?

Writers Answer:
It's hard to count! I'm serious, I'm not sure how much it is, because we've "densified" the game world to the very end. Suffice it to say that completing the main plot alone should take several dozen hours, and getting rid of everything that we have prepared much more.

Question:
Several dozen hours to "briefly" discover the game?

Writers Answer:
We wanted Night City not to give the impression of a model, where, as soon as you leave the main path, it blows with boredom and emptiness. That's why in the world of Cyberpunk 2077, there is something going on at every corner. Sometimes it will be a multi-stage side quest, sometimes a short but juicy story. It pays to explore this city, get to know all its nooks and crannies, listen to what is being said on the streets.

Question:
There is no game without vivid characters. Will they be like that in Cyberpunk?

Writers Answer:
I have no doubt! The ones we created for Cyberpunk will be as remembered as those from the Witcher series. It is also worth mentioning that our work was not limited only to writing story missions. We wanted the player to feel that Night City is a real city, living its own life.

Question:
There is no game without vivid characters. Will they be like that in Cyberpunk?

Writers Answer:
I have no doubt! The ones we created for Cyberpunk will be as remembered as those from the Witcher series. It is also worth mentioning that our work was not limited only to writing story missions. We wanted the player to feel that Night City is a real city, living its own life.

Question:
How did you achieve it?

Writers Answer:
We have created several TV channels, each of which has its own program, character and even political preferences, as well as numerous radio stations, an internal internet with numerous pages, and books. Even without following any specific task, you can lose yourself in this city, sink into it.

Top Bottom