What happened to quest design in Cyberpunk 2077?

+
I can't believe not many people are discussing this.

The Witcher 3 had great quest design. Almost all of the quests were logically connected and the developers constantly rewarded the player for improvisation with unique scenes and dialogues.
For example, if you do few quests in Velen and then go to Skellige, the dialogues with Yennifer and other characters will change and Geralt will only talk about what the player knows.

If you find the son of Crach an Craite on Skellige before he asks for it, all dialogue with Hjalmar will change, because Geralt will have a different motivation to save him.

If you visit the Baron's daughter after Novigrad, Geralt will be aware of the witch hunters and the dialogues will change.

If you don't come to meet Gunther O Dim, later there will be a different scene and unique dialogue with him.

Almost every mission has interesting scenes after the end of the quest. If you spared a husband and wife in the village where a friend of the herbalist went missing, then coming back later you can see the scene where the man tells Geralt that his wife died of starvation.

During one of the quests in the White Garden, Geralt discovers that the merchant is actually a soldier of Temeria. After the quest you can follow this character and he will go to his secret camp in the forest.

If you completed the quest about the werewolf in the village and then return to it, there will be 5 different scenes with dialogues depending on your actions during the quest.

If during a witcher order to clear the basement of a golem, you hit the wooden pillars in combat and return to the mission site afterwards, you get a unique dialogue about how the ceiling of the house collapsed and the owner of the house died under the rubble. If you fought carefully the house will eventually be intact and the customer will stay alive.

I could go on and on listing examples like that in The Witcher 3. And there's nothing like that in Cyberpunk 2077.

Fixer Regina asks player to bring her friend over? Okay, let's follow his car after the quest. Surely this will lead to some unique scene and dialogue! After all, that's how the quests in The Witcher 3 were structured. No. The result is Regina's friend driving around town in circles.

Takemura asks you to hack the computer? What happens if you hack it beforehand? Nothing, hacking is impossible until the quest says "go hack that computer."

Panam ask to save Saul? What happens if I try to save Saul myself? Nothing, there is no way to save him before I go through the main gate of the building and the game tells me to "Go save Saul".

And so it is with every quest. Don't think, follow the quest instructions on the screen. There aren't even any additional dialogue scenes if you go back to the mission zone after completing the quest.

I have no problem with Cyberpunk not having the best open world in the gaming industry, I just expected non-linear quests that encourage the players to think with their head and reward that approach with unique scenes and dialogue. Something that was already perfectly implemented in The Witcher 3.

So what happened to quest design in Cyberpunk 2077?

PS: I hope I was able to express my thoughts clearly. English is not my native language.

Last edited:
There are a few in CP2077.

They're just much smaller in scale and numbers.

For example, there is a gig in Watson which has you go and "kidnap" some gang member named Blake. I remember his name but not the quest's FYI. If you go back later, the garage he was holed up in is now given back to the owner who contacted Regina. You can talk to him and he will then turn into a trader.

There are a few more examples but I can't disagree that The Witcher 3 did this far better than CP.

EDIT: Gig's name is "Shark in the water" for those interested in trying it out.

Great post. I was really dissapointed when I found out that many times in CP77 there is no difference what you do or say, the quest will play out only in one way and many times even when it gives you a choice, it's illusionary and ends in one way.
It's a big regress compared to the Witcher 3 where choices really mattered. You could have different relationships with ciri, yen and so on depending on your choices. And the legendary Red Baron quest man....

All the quests with River, Kerry, Judy and Panam don't stand a chance against single Red Baron quest in W3.

It was said that the missions were not going to be repetitive
part of what was said in a Q&A is not complete

Q&A

Everything that they proposed with such enthusiasm did not come, and it was the soul of the RPG
They were very clear about what was done well in Witcher III and they were going to apply it

JagoA

Forum regular
Yeah like GrimReaper said there's a few hidden questlines and alternative routes, in particular I know with a little help from my friends has one. And how you go about acquiring the flathead at wholefoods results in different way to find Nancy at totentaz later on too. There are probably quite a few more but the game is still rather new, so not all of them has been found yet. Either way I'm sure it's partly due to time constraint due to the supposed early release, the devs likely wanted to make more alternative quest routes too.

When i beat the latino boxer with the pregnant wife,i left them the car and the eddies.Later after the fight with the pro boxer ,the latino boxer congradulate me,then said how im treating his car,or does it serve me well.I was like 0_0 I mean ,there are some youtube careers, made only with The Witcher 3 different outcomes and continuity in the game,yet with CP77 the bar has really fallen.

This happened:
"Studio head Adam Badowski took over as director, demanding overhauls to Cyberpunk’s gameplay and story. For the next year, everything was changing, including fundamental elements like the game-play perspective. Top staff who had worked on The Witcher 3 had strong opinions on how Cyberpunk should be made, which clashed with Badowski and lead to the eventual departure of several top developers."

One of my primary irks of the game; too much hand-holding in the quests. You can try different approaches and sometimes it pays off in some way, but generally, if it wants you to sit on that barstool...guess what, you're going to sit on that barstool. Still a good game, but not at the level of some others (not "next gen" at least).

This happened:
"Studio head Adam Badowski took over as director, demanding overhauls to Cyberpunk’s gameplay and story. For the next year, everything was changing, including fundamental elements like the game-play perspective. Top staff who had worked on The Witcher 3 had strong opinions on how Cyberpunk should be made, which clashed with Badowski and lead to the eventual departure of several top developers."
seems like overconfidence and big egos caused this game to be a "general failure"

Guest 4519094

two quick points since this thread is pretty tame :

a. try finding the hidden bike if you like quests that really really don't hold your hand ;)
b. for those comparing things with TW3, just remember our memories of that world is after all the expansions and patches, maybe some still remember how vanilla Witcher3 with no expansion one month after release felt ... i don't :p

PS: if we can learn anything from other games, for example Hades, it's that voice lines aren't that hard to add in quantities :p so ... keeping those hopes up ;)

"So many options, so many possibilities, and each will have consequences that will ripple through the game world and your story, and that's just one quest...." - 44 min gameplay walkthrough

Whilst very enjoyable currently, I hope any additional content is focused on the RPG elements they were clearly going for. All the Witcher games had some good moments of different outcomes and not just the endings.

I personally felt the first malestrom mission was perfect regarding quest designs affecting both the narrative of the story and the open-world aspects, but after playing about 100 hours into the game with all endings it turned out it was the only one. I guess CDPR had the potential to implant more quests with this level of detail but maybe due to poor time and efficiency management failed to do so. I'm not angry with the game but disappointed at all the missed possibilities this game had.

Side quests in TW3 felt so dynamic where you could start a quest at several points.

An example would be a simple elimination quest. You could either find the quest on the notice board, go visit whoever issued the notice and learn more and track down the monster, kill it and return for the reward. You could also just stumple upon the scene of the attack and track down the moster, slay it, and Geralt would say something like "I should visit the nearby village, there might be a bounty on this monster".

You always felt welcomed to explore whatever you found in TW, 'cause there were thought and care put into making as much as the world and it's quests accessable to you in an openended way. And if you don't go through the trouble of making the quests open like this whilst having an open world you're forced to make checkpoints throughout each and every quest that further develop and unlocks the objectives as to not completely break the game.

It's just sad to see this design philosophy dropped in this title.

Top Bottom