What happened?

+
I have been one of CDPR's biggest fans/admirers/supporters/advocates for over a decade. I rate The Witcher 3 as the best game of all time. I've been anxiously awaiting Cyberpunk 2077 since it was announced. I took time off, bought a new TV, an Xbox Series X, and a recliner, mainly for this game, if I'm honest. I counted the minutes last night waiting to play the game and when 11:00 hit I immediately started it. I was a little suspicious when I got to the low-res looking intro/title screen. My trepidation only increased when I got into character creation and noticed the models were...meh; kind of fuzzy/blurry/low(ish) quality. After a half-hour in the game, I had to turn it off, much to my dismay. To be honest, I think the game looks horrible. Low resolution (at least it appears to be), low-quality textures everywhere, pop-in, low draw distance, low level of detail, glitches, bugs, weird clipping issues and NPC behavior, etc., etc., etc. It was actually giving me a headache from my eyes constantly trying to focus and re-focus on the blurry screen.

I'm so disappointed. I so wanted to play this game, but in its current state, it is simply not possible, at least for me - and for many others it appears, if you check social media and Youtube. You shouldn't need a $3000 PC with a 3090 to get decent visuals. Previously I was playing Vahalla and Red Dead 2 and I'm just shocked at how much worse Cyberpunk looks compared to them. Switching back and forth between the games (which I can instantly do on Series X) is jarring and is like you're switching to an Xbox One or even Xbox 360 sometimes.

And it's weird because you can look at someone or something, and some of the textures will be ok, then some will look like an N64 game. Walking up to things on shelves, or signs, etc., and sometimes it's just shockingly bad. Blurry, extremely low-resolution textures. And the pop-in is horrible. Turn and look at a car and it looks like it came textureless straight out of an N64, then all of a sudden, boom, (blurry) textures finally load. It's like that everywhere and on top of that everything is blurry/fuzzy/hazy, it just looks bad. Google it. Search Youtube. People are showing examples and complaining all over the place. More and more as time goes by.

I don't understand why CDPR released this in this state. They KNEW it was like this. They kept console versions away from reviewers before launch. That is shady and NOT something I expect from my favorite developer of all time. I really hope they work hard to patch this mess and win back the customer loyalty they've hurt and/or lost. For me, I will go back to Vahalla and Red Dead until they get this sorted out. The Witcher 3 looks better than this. It just makes me sad.

You know, there is always the first time. As Ive been saying for years, telling people about the warning signs.

1. the long development progress simply meant that oldgen hardware which they originally planned for was becoming less relevant by the minute. The game had to become a next-gen game, and that forced CDPRs hand.

2. You just can't take a nextgen game and expect it to work "fine" on oldgen hardware.

3. Delaying the total release was simply not an option anymore

4. Delaying JUST the oldgen console release simply didn't make sense as those consoles are becoming less and less relevant as time goes on. The sales numbers for oldgen consoles wouldve been in freefall after 2020.

It really was a catch-22 situation for CDPR, but I don't feel too sorry for them. They really should've never focused so much on consoles. PC hardware will always stay relevant by upgrading itself, so you don't need to worry which year you release your game on. I hope they smart up and focus on PC from now on..

1. The long development process is irrelevant really IF, as they said, they were developing the game for XB1 and PS4/Pro. They said all along the game would launch on CURRENT gen and get a next-gen update later in 2021. It was supposed to launch back in spring (April I think), long before the Series X or PS5 were out, or anyone knew when they were even coming out.

2. It's NOT a next-gen game. It's a current-generation game that just happened to get delayed so much that it came out around the launch of a new generation. Doesn't change the fact the CDPR has ALWAYS said the game was being developed for XB1 and PS4/Pro.

3. It was an option, but they were greedy and didn't want to miss Christmas. This is shady in my book, especially considering they wouldn't allow console versions to be played or reviewed before launch. Big red flag and underhanded. I would have believed CDPR would do this.

4. The XB1 and PS4/Pro may be becoming less relevant, but they'll still be supported for some time AND, most importantly, those are the systems that the console pre-orders were made for! Go to the Cyberpunk website and look at purchase page. Do you see any Series X or PS5 versions? NO. There are only Xbox One, PS4, and PC. Consoles are a big source of revenue for CDPR. Half of The Witcher 3's sales were consoles. The pre-orders for Cyberpunk were 59% PC to 41% consoles. And consoles will more than likely overtake PC on this one as more and more people are able to find next-gen systems. A lot of people have said they bought the game on PC because they couldn't find a Series X or PS5. And you DO need to worry on PC because apparently, you not even a $3000+ PC with an $1800 3090 can approach 4K/60 fps:
15-20 fps! Even with RTX off it barely gets 30(ish) fps at native 4K! That's ridiculous. Even at 1080p, with a 3090, they're only getting 60-70 fps! That's just poor, horrible optimization. The game looks good, but not any better than some of the other current games out there, so there's no excuse, and even if it did look amazingly better than anything out there, there would still be no excuse. The Witcher 3 was so much better, smoother. It even runs on the Switch, lol! This game is a mess, big time. Hopefully, updates and patches are being furiously worked on.

I would like a refund base on that too. I play on PS4 regular. And the and the ad said ps4, so I expected the game to be playable on ps4. But in reality it is not!

15-20 fps! Even with RTX off it barely gets 30(ish) fps at native 4K! That's ridiculous. Even at 1080p, with a 3090, they're only getting 60-70 fps! That's just poor, horrible optimization. The game looks good, but not any better than some of the other current games out there, so there's no excuse, and even if it did look amazingly better than anything out there, there would still be no excuse. The Witcher 3 was so much better, smoother. It even runs on the Switch, lol! This game is a mess, big time. Hopefully, updates and patches are being furiously worked on.

No. I think people have unreasonable expectations about Cyberpunk 2077 and performance, especially regarding raytracing.
Cyberpunk is the next Crysis. For a while your computers will be measured how well it will run Cyberpunk.

It is amazing how well they managed to turn an oldgen console game into this. CDPRs biggest sin was the promise that they would develop the game on oldgen consoles. If they hadn't made that promise, they shouldve abandoned old consoles in a flash.

No. I think people have unreasonable expectations about Cyberpunk 2077 and performance, especially regarding raytracing.
Cyberpunk is the next Crysis. For a while your computers will be measured how well it will run Cyberpunk.

It is amazing how well they managed to turn an oldgen console game into this. CDPRs biggest sin was the promise that they would develop the game on oldgen consoles. If they hadn't made that promise, they shouldve abandoned old consoles in a flash.

Cyberpunk is not the next Crysis! Not even close!

My two cents worth. This game should have been pushed back again two to three months to fix all these damn bugs and a fix so that you can customize ALL your keybindings. The game is still not ready for prime time gameplay. You might piss off some by pushing back the release date once again but it's MUCH better to get it right than release it half-assed.

Guest 4461026

What happened is that CD Projekt grew from a relatively small unknown dev to be bigger financially speaking than ubisoft and is a publicly traded company, meaning they have shareholders who influence their decisions.
After growing so much they will not remain the friendly nerdy studio they have been before witcher 3. Expect them to become decidedly less customer friendly and more greedy in the future, as happened to Blizzard, Epic Games, Bioware etc.
Unfortunately this is just what happens when a company grows into a moloch, the decisions will be less driven by loyalty towards the customer and more by financial motivation. People seem to forget how capitalism works.
In this case a further delay would have meant releasing after the lockdown christmas, which is sure to be the most profitable christmas for videogames ever

I agree but sadly were playing a game on pc that is made for consoles. so maybe in time they can make it smoother. return for now.

This was game was developed for old consoles. That it can be played on new is only because delays pushed the release of Cyberpunk past the release of new consoles.

They could have decided early on that this was going to be a PC exclusive, but the game would likely have a smaller budget and be a different game from what PC players have currently. Almost half the sales are from console owners, so a PC exclusive title means a lot less in sales revenue.

For me the bugs and bad optimization isn't even the worst part, its the wasted opportunity. The world, story and characters are great but so much else feels very extremely lack luster and dated.

This.

Even technical issues aside, I think CDPR chowed down more than they could swallow.
The scope was too big, and they focused on some things more than others, leaving you with an experience that feels like a great foundation, but hollow and lackluster in other aspects, and technically unstable to top it off (esp. on older hardware).

You know, there is always the first time. As Ive been saying for years, telling people about the warning signs.

1. the long development progress simply meant that oldgen hardware which they originally planned for was becoming less relevant by the minute. The game had to become a next-gen game, and that forced CDPRs hand.

2. You just can't take a nextgen game and expect it to work "fine" on oldgen hardware.

3. Delaying the total release was simply not an option anymore

4. Delaying JUST the oldgen console release simply didn't make sense as those consoles are becoming less and less relevant as time goes on. The sales numbers for oldgen consoles wouldve been in freefall after 2020.

It really was a catch-22 situation for CDPR, but I don't feel too sorry for them. They really should've never focused so much on consoles. PC hardware will always stay relevant by upgrading itself, so you don't need to worry which year you release your game on. I hope they smart up and focus on PC from now on..

You can't seriously expect them to focus on PC only and let 41% of their playerbase down, can you? The outrage would be phenomenal if they left the console versions in this state after how they screwed up.

Also you would never have gotten a big budget game like CP2077 if it was PC exclu because the money to earned to make games like this one comes from the console market.

That being said they should have maybe canceled oldgen and released on next gen/PC only

You can't seriously expect them to focus on PC only and let 41% of their playerbase down, can you? The outrage would be phenomenal if they left the console versions in this state after how they screwed up.

Also you would never have gotten a big budget game like CP2077 if it was PC exclu because the money to earned to make games like this one comes from the console market.

Also this does in no way excuse the fact that the game seems to have more than enouhg issues on PS5/XSX as well. Bugs, graphics and FPS.

If anything i just want to see some sort of official statement from cdpr about all this. We can complain into the void all we want but it's up to them to interact.

Honestly the biggest disappointment for me was the lack of an option to update your looks. You mean to tell me Night City doesn't even have a barber shop? And what about all those teases about having chrome skin and other features?

1. The long development process is irrelevant really IF, as they said, they were developing the game for XB1 and PS4/Pro. They said all along the game would launch on CURRENT gen and get a next-gen update later in 2021. It was supposed to launch back in spring (April I think), long before the Series X or PS5 were out, or anyone knew when they were even coming out.

2. It's NOT a next-gen game. It's a current-generation game that just happened to get delayed so much that it came out around the launch of a new generation. Doesn't change the fact the CDPR has ALWAYS said the game was being developed for XB1 and PS4/Pro.

3. It was an option, but they were greedy and didn't want to miss Christmas. This is shady in my book, especially considering they wouldn't allow console versions to be played or reviewed before launch. Big red flag and underhanded. I would have believed CDPR would do this.

4. The XB1 and PS4/Pro may be becoming less relevant, but they'll still be supported for some time AND, most importantly, those are the systems that the console pre-orders were made for! Go to the Cyberpunk website and look at purchase page. Do you see any Series X or PS5 versions? NO. There are only Xbox One, PS4, and PC. Consoles are a big source of revenue for CDPR. Half of The Witcher 3's sales were consoles. The pre-orders for Cyberpunk were 59% PC to 41% consoles. And consoles will more than likely overtake PC on this one as more and more people are able to find next-gen systems. A lot of people have said they bought the game on PC because they couldn't find a Series X or PS5. And you DO need to worry on PC because apparently, you not even a $3000+ PC with an $1800 3090 can approach 4K/60 fps:

Ad.1. & 2 Yeah it means a little, because when then prolonged the development they needed too boost the graphics, physics etc to be acceptable for 2020/2021 etc. So if they delayed the game till December its probably partially because due to that the game could have shifted the focus from PS4/XB1 to PS5 or at least PS4 Pro/XB1x. Like base PS4/XB1 arent really that fast/great. Probably thats why they said that they would upgrade any old version of Cyberpunk to the newer console for free. Could CDP optimized it better for base PS4/XB1? Sure, but with such old hardware builds it sure is not easy. Probably trying to fix it somehow now (a little too late, but better late than never).

Ad.3. Yeah that was strange for me as well and can't argue with that - it was a little red flag. + well they are a publicly listed company (on a stock market) so they need to take into account their value as well - and another thing is that they probably couldn't delay the game again due to that and the Christmas spot is a great spot, but lets face it, if somebody doesn't have a PC, PS4 Pro/XB1X or PS5/Xbox Series X will probably postpone the buy.

Ad.4. Dude don't overreact and panic. I mean I have only Intel I5-7600k, Geforce 1080 8gb, 16gb RAM and SSD drive and game runs smoothly on 1440p resolution (everything on high/ultra). The only moment I had a lag or performance drop was during one of the races, apart from that it runs great, without any major or game breaking issues (although some minor bugs are still present). My computer was struggling more with playing the bad port of the Horizon Zero Dawn to PC..

Btw don't You remember that a lot of good games had troubles/bugs/performance issues at start - i.e. both Skyrim and Witcher3 had massive launch and performance issues and both are considered to be one of the best (RPG) games of their years ( W3 is even considered to be one of the best RPG games ever ;) ). Not mentioning the bad launch of the HZD on PC.. My PC struggled so much to run smoothly, and Cyberpunk 2077 is optimized much much better... at least for PC. :)
So let's wait for the patches and see how they will handle the situation, whether they will be able to fix it and lets judge them then :)

Cheers!

Not really an issue. Massive scope is developer choice.
Unrealistic expectations are the players fault.
I disagree. They are Issues, and here is why... everyone is complaining about how none of the platforms work very good at all... this is an issue and I believe it is because of the dev's decision to TRY and get all platforms to work at once, old, new and one that is not really relevant yet (Stadia). They failed , that's an issue!

Second, Unrealistic expectations are set by the game studio, as you can see again, everyone is complaining about how a lot these features and functions do not work correctly. This is not the fault of the Player, that's like saying when a car dealer sells you a car and tells you, it has satellite radio, microwave oven, and penis enlargement built-in, and then you find out, after you buy it, it has none of that. It's not your fault you were lead to believe it.
They had a year and half (I believe) of HYPE. I am not saying this was bait and switch... no, just a failure.. and really not a total failure. I am playing the game currently and liking it... but the way it was Hyped I was sure it would be a Skyrim replacement. For me it's not.

Top Bottom