What I wish for story campaign [Thronebreaker Wish-list]

+
I just hope if new cards that are not single player exclusive will be available for non buyers too.

I just want to see more of CD Projekt Red's writing and see how they apply it to the format. I can't think of any games like this that really tried a single player game. If they do it right, and do more than one campaign, Gwent will have a real place in the landscape long term.

I trust that Thronebreaker will deliver on story. CDPR has never failed in that. But when standalone Gwent was first announced, I imagined certain offline features, none of which I am certain it will include. So this is what my "Wish List" consists of (3 Wishes + 2 Bonus "Would Be Nice, But I Ran Out Of Djinn Wishes Already" Wants).

[WISH #1] You Buy It - You Own It
The FAQ once stated you would not need Galaxy to run Gwent after release (only for beta). I hope this is still true.

Currently you download a 150MB installer. You need an active online connection when you run it to install Gwent. Release version needs to be a complete download, like every game on GOG. So you can install it offline.

[WISH #2] And Everything Works Offline
Gwent should function like classic fighters (Example: Street Fighter) where you can do everything offline versus AI. Or you can go online to play people. The game is the same. All that changes is who is controlling the enemy deck (AI or Human).

[WISH #3] Offline Card Collection
You have two separate card collections: online & offline. Online cards are gained via online play/purchases. Offline cards via offline play. The reward cards from campaigns are added to both collections.

Players can grind AI matches for offline kegs/ore/scraps/powder and obtain every card (including Animated) in offline single-player mode. But you cannot use your offline resources/cards online. (Unless CDPR wants offline cards to work online, but I imagine not.)

While the F2P system makes sense (PvP matches & purchases earn cards, everyone uses latest patch, data stored on server), those who buy the campaign version should have full offline functionality. Single-player Gwent should be like TW3 Gwent (offline single-player), just bigger and better.

[4] LAN Support (BONUS)
Gwent needs this to be true DRM-Free. I won't use it, both others will.

[5] Mode Name & Interface Toggle (BONUS)
Only semantics, but the offline mode should not be called "Offline Mode." That reminds me of Xenoblade Chronicles X where there was always a flashing "OFFLINE" icon on the screen, as though you were not playing in the proper mode. "Standard Mode" or "Campaign Mode" would sound nice. Again, only semantics, but mood is important. Don't try to make someone who bought your single-player game feel like they're playing it wrong because they don't want to go online.

A Settings option that changes the menu interface to exclude "Multiplayer" elements and have Gwent only display single-player features and content that can be unlocked offline (as though the game were built to be offline single-player only) would also be nice. Just one more thing to make offline gamers feel like they are playing a complete game designed for them. A game that doesn't dismiss them as a supplemental secondary audience.

SIDE NOTE: Whether or not I buy Cyberpunk will be determined by whether it references multiplayer while offline. If there is ANYTHING that breaks immersion by reminding me that there is an online mode, I will not buy it. No matter how good it is. While my stance on Gwent is not that extreme, my stance on Cyberpunk should tell CDPR how I (and others) feel about this subject, and how valuable it would be to account for this. A simple Settings toggle would mean a lot.

[6] Security Attracts
Standalone Gwent should stand alone. Independent of online servers. DRM-Free is the promise that when things stop working, your game doesn't. Many gamers (like me) refuse to buy digital games anywhere but GOG.

Gwent having full functionality offline will attract a large audience (in particular, the audience that bought the Witcher games). Knowing that the time you invest is not a gamble (because even if servers go down, your card collection and ability to play remain) appeals to the single-player market. And once they have the game, and know that anything they gain (Example: Cards, Trinkets, Adventures) will remain theirs forever (with or without the internet), they will feel more comfortable going online where they may spend additional money.

I hope to see that it is challenging. Either with setting the option to be that, or just be challenging in itself.

I would hate to walkthrough in one play.

shadowick;n10160412 said:
[WISH #3] Offline Card Collection You have two separate card collections: online & offline. Online cards are gained via online play/purchases. Offline cards via offline play. The reward cards from campaigns are added to both collections.
Players can grind AI matches for offline kegs/ore/scraps/powder and obtain every card (including Animated) in offline single-player mode. But you cannot use your offline resources/cards online. (Unless CDPR wants offline cards to work online, but I imagine not.)
While the F2P system makes sense (PvP matches & purchases earn cards, everyone uses latest patch, data stored on server), those who buy the campaign version should have full offline functionality. Single-player Gwent should be like TW3 Gwent (offline single-player), just bigger and better.

I think they're all good suggestions, but I like this one the most.

1.) It keeps players from quickly gaining powerful decks through offline play against a (likely) easier AI.

2.) It encourages offline play so that players can more quickly easily see what cards exist, experiment with different factions / decks, and have a focused goal for the type of deck they want to build when they engage online.

3.) It rewards players with some powerful options as a reward for finishing the offline campaign, but it doesn't necessarily mean they hit low-tier multiplayer like a demi-god with a jetpack.

In general, though, I think keeping the online / offline decks and resources separate except for exclusive cards is a fantastic idea to maintain better meta-balance.

I'd like memorable characters that are full of detail and rich immersion. CDPR is boss at introducing new characters that we instantly fall in love with, so that's what I want more of :) I loved the Witcher characters, but now let's see some new ones / old ones from the books that we haven't seen yet.

Will the cards that will be playable in the multiplayer mode be free or will we have to pay a premium to get them?

Difficulty as well! If the AI doesn't pose a challenge then that will break the gameplay. I'm not a fan of having multiple difficulties but i understand why its done. As long as theres a super duper hard difficulty to challenge my small peanut of a brain ill be happy :)

Dante2144;n10610622 said:
Difficulty as well! If the AI doesn't pose a challenge then that will break the gameplay. I'm not a fan of having multiple difficulties but i understand why its done. As long as theres a super duper hard difficulty to challenge my small peanut of a brain ill be happy :)

Same here... I would like it to be an actual challenge, that you have to be changing constantly the deck to adapt it to the opponent's strategy, and not just be able to finish it with the same deck all the adventure

Yeah I feel we need lots of interesting missions like Saovine and Mahakam Ale Festival. With decision making affecting the path you take and various difficulty levels, if it is like that and within my price range, there's no way I will miss it :)

Hi, I have been playing gwent for a week or so now, it is my new favorite game. I would simply like to suggest that you create a game mode similar to the"'raid decks" in the W.O.W card game. Simply it would allow multiple players online to co-operate to take on a "raid deck" where the cards are allot stronger therefore it takes 2-8 players to beat any of these decks. if you added this feature with a lets call it "dungeon crawl" mode this would allow players to team up and take on some of The Witchers more magnificent characters from lore. You could have the enemies get stronger and have a new dungeon open up every season that represents the season for instance this season maybe a bear based or skellege villain or hero. It should have a few rounds so that it takes a while to overcome and these "dungeon crawls" should also bring players closer together having them want to play with, help and play against one another in order to gain extra rewards by taking down opponents in what I would call, the best showdown in online TCG history.

Thank you for taking the time to read,

Cpt_Myrinn_Eilorv

Top Bottom