What if I don’t want play for a punk?!

+
But being a backstabbing psychopath is fun and underepresented though. A lot of games make us work against authorities but so little let us give in to capitalistic leviathan and all the opportunities and power that comes with it. Playing as corp isn't necessarily sitting in an office 9-5. Corporate intrigue makes for a decent thriller and offers roleplaying opportunities, like would you throw a colleague under a bus to advance the corp ladder or suffer even worse unexpected consequences for not doing so? Moral dilemma of "just doing your job" or fully embracing is a compelling character development tool. Not to mention you can probably contact some rebel edgelords and work with them to sabotage the corp from inside. Or to sabotage the rebels like a true triple agent.

There is a lot of opportunities to make a corp playthrough a fun and challenging roleplaying experience with branching narrative paths.

It would indeed be fun, having V getting in a corporate role, going his corporate stuff for a while and getting fired for random reasons.

It was just about the freedom perspective, the punk/street level gives you way more possibilities.
It may be more interesting to be a punk inside a corp, than a "corp" inside a corporation, but yeah, depends how far CDPR puts the Corp path, I'd love to do a corporate path too, but it has to be challenging and push yourself to act like a dude from american psycho, not just being a "employee of the month" type it would be boring as hell.
That's what's fun about that role IMO, all the shaddy behind the scene and fucking up your coworker's plans to steal their place, otherwise, it's just as fun a working in a post office haha.

Imagine the shoot-at corp was a competitor to the presentator's one and you have an idea ;)

I think the only semi-confirmed thing (or 100% confirmed?) is that we can't finish the game without installing ANY augment. But that's how the world is like, everyone is using that to their advantage.

I think the only mandatory augments you'll need will most likely will be story driven and world driven like a bunch of reflexes boosters to keep up with late-game enemies that may move super quick, probably a few armor plate for damage resistance and a few stuff like chips or neural implant to interface yourself.

Beyond that, you'll probably be free to do whatever you want, it's nothing when you can actually change every body parts and your whole body.

The only concern I still have is how deep the world will be in term of roleplay (the map can be super huge, it you just stick to the surface of it, it'll feel limited about roleplay).
Can we apply to a corporation/police station/Media crew/Trauma Team/Gangs and be it's agent for a while?
Will the world react to the job you chose to made?
What if you don't take any route? (stay a streetpunk, getting your money out of stealing people, etc...), will you have some criminal records with the police? etc... (could be a lifepath in itself, you'd be banned in corp-zone etc....)

Or will we get stuck to work for via Fixer's job?
ala "I got a client that needs this, go do it" but that client is Arasaka, Militech, etc... (most likely this from what we saw).

If you can be "V", but applying to a corporation, and work your corporate life, fucking up, being fired, then being a cop, or even going to apply to another corporation, etc.. it would be pretty cool, you'd be basically free to play whatever role you'd like, it just depends how deep they push it.

Last edited:
It's to much for RPG-FPS game. Only classic RPG without voiced protagonist would do the trick & that even would take years to implement. You just can't create perfect copy of pan & paper game in a freaking game. That's impossible.
Besides if you want a game based on your preferences you can just create one. That would be beautiful start of company

Besides, you judge things like that from gameplay demo which we didn't even know will look like that. Iirc first Witcher 3 demo was never used in the final game so...

Last edited:
It's to much for RPG-FPS game. Only classic RPG without voiced protagonist would do the trick & that even would take years to implement. You just can't create perfect copy of pan & paper game in a freaking game. That's impossible.
Besides if you want a game based on your preferences you can just create one. That would be beautiful start of company

Besides, you judge things like that from gameplay demo which we didn't even know will look like that. Iirc first Witcher 3 demo was never used in the final game so...

More importantly table top PnP has a GM mediating and you really can't replicate that in computer game.

what ur asking for is impossible to implement. cdpr needs one fixed character.

While I understand where OP is coming from I see this as the biggest problem. A P&P GM can create things on the fly, but a CRPG cannot handle anything that the devs didn't envision months before the game was released. The sort of thing that may get a flesh-and-blood GM to award extra XP and/or sob inconsolably are just plain impossible in CPRGs.

I'm sure that it's theoretically possible for a sufficiently large dev team with plenty of time to account for EVERY possibility, but I hate to think what sort of budget it'd take to hire millions of coders for decades, how many petabytes that would take to store, and how long it's take to download. I'll accept a few restrictions to get a game that only took a few hundred people 8-10 years, will fit on my SSD, and will fininsh downloading on my 30Mbps pipe sometime before the heat death of the universe.

After seeing the trailer and with the fact that only Solo, Techie and Netrunner are available as classes, I also fear that you always play the same "role". Sure they mentioned the backstory, but this will just change a few quests or so. I think that you will always be a "punk" in the streets.
I really hoped that you could somehow play a corporate.
It would be nice if you could at least get more involved with other corporates and that this influences more than just the story (e.g. living in a different area of the city).

7 years ago CDPR announced Cyberpunk 2077 - An Action - RPG. And some people for some reason expected it will be about corporate meetings and fancy high strata parties... :)
Maybe I'm tired after 9hs at work, but I can't wrap my head around that way of thinking. Or maybe it's me who misunderstands the meaning of the word ACTION... :)

7 years ago CDPR announced Cyberpunk 2077 - An Action - RPG. And some people for some reason expected it will be about corporate meetings and fancy high strata parties... :)
Maybe I'm tired after 9hs at work, but I can't wrap my head around that way of thinking. Or maybe it's me who misunderstands the meaning of the word ACTION... :)
Action doesn't necessarily refer to tone. It's just a subgenre descriptor.

Action in A-RPG means you do things in real time and that some things depends on player's skill instead of character one, and that's it.
For exemple if for some reason Dear Esther was an RPG, it would be an A-RPG.

Well, they are going off the source material, which is set in a dystonian future world with cybernetics and a punk feel. I am curious and wonder, since you can create your V, and they have the option of having a corpo agent as a childhood hero, that perhaps you can make it less punk and more business (more conservative and less punk). Same with cybernetics; you can have them, or chose not to.

The demo was set early on in the game they said, so V's apartment is what it is. However I think I saw somewhere that you can have a different place; perhaps a penthouse in another district if you reach a certain rep (say with corpo) and eddies make the requirement or something. This is all me speculating, of course, but I am interested to see all the aspects this game has to offer.

But what if I don’t want to play for a punk?

CD Projekt makes story-driven games. Now if you don't set some personality traits of your characters, there's no way you can write dialogues for them. You end up with a game like Skyrim where the main character doesn't talk and has no personality (remember at the beginning of skyrim when an NPC asks "Hey, who are you? How did you end up here?" Player: * mute * haha). Cyberpunk is the opposite of this kind of game, as shown in the demo dialogues and gameplay are all interrelated.

This thread reminds me, back when W3 when still in development, someone made a thread asking if Geralt couold be a farmer 🤔

This thread reminds me, back when W3 when still in development, someone made a thread asking if Geralt couold be a farmer 🤔

But making a game based on a predefined character from a novel series is not the same as making a game based on a P&P RPG.
Sure, you can't give all the options of an P&P RPG in an CRPG.

If we have to play as a punk only then CDPR have made a mistake as the world is cyberpunk but our character should have options to play with some differences.

If we have to play as a punk only then CDPR have made a mistake as the world is cyberpunk but our character should have options to play with some differences.
Honestly, this is probably the best way to introduce people to their world, including 2020 vets, because they have clearly made a lot of changes for 2077. It is not uncommon for a new campaign setting to start the characters at the street level and work their way up so that characters can see every level of the society starting with the foundation.

Just because this is the start it doesn't mean they won't continue the story (through DLC & sequels) in ways that allow for the other roles to factor in. It is just harder to showcase the lower levels of society if the character starts the very first game in a series essentially in the middle or upper classes like is implied with the other less merc style roles ie: Corp, Cop, & Media.

It is just harder to showcase the lower levels of society if the character starts the very first game in a series essentially in the middle or upper classes like is implied with the other less merc style roles ie: Corp, Cop, & Media.

That still leaves out of the picture Rockerboys, Fixers and Nomads for no reasons. Besides, I would not define C2020 cops as being even middle class, that would more likely be corporate cops).

That still leaves out of the picture Rockerboys, Fixers and Nomads for no reasons. Besides, I would not define C2020 cops as being even middle class, that would more likely be corporate cops).
Cops might not necessarily be economically middle class, but culturally I think they kind of qualify as their position requires more of an insider's perspective and familiarity with at least their beat. Fixers require a similar knowledge and connected status, but more in the shadow world rather than the legit one. Rockerboys and Nomads could easily be fledgling outsiders, but their lifestyles are outliers enough that I could see the rationale being that familiarity with the world/city would still be beneficial to getting the right experience.

I'll admit this is entirely speculative and at least bordering on rationalization/apologetics and may have no bearing on their decision. Though the Life Path options do show that V is either new to NC or recently returning, and various comments they've made highlight that V is on a path to establish themselves, so not having a role which implies connection, authority, or an already active participation in Night City makes a certain kind of sense.

Well the bottom line in the game you basically can play 2 classes from the pen and paper as far as I can tell. Solo or a Netrunner(mostly solo), but since I've played the PnP for real back in the 80's as a kid those are the 2 most exciting classes and the easiest to jam into the game. Sure it would be nice to play a cop or a corp trooper, or booster ganger, but the other ones are just not condusive to a video game. Hell it would be fun playing a Trauma Team member but it would get old really quickly is if all you had to do is go pick up rich corp kids who OD'd doing too much smash and braindance.

Like what, your going to have a TPS report simulator for corps? "Where's that TPS report Jerry?", and he goes all cyberpsycho and pulls out a minimi 10 smg and blows him away? "Here's your godamned TPS report Bill!!!" Braaaappp! :giggle: I get what you're trying to say, who knows maybe there will be DLC in the future with a Corp trooper campaign, or a Night City cop campaign where you move up the ranks to eventually are in the cyberpsycho squad. But let's see how everything turns out before we ask for a cyber street cleaning simulator. These illegal cybernetic arm implants I just got from the ripperdoc downstairs, can sweep up a ton of sh!t!!! Whoo hooo!!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom