What if I'm new to Cyberpunk World ?

+
In a sense, knowing little about the world is a good thing. Better to see the game for what it is than what it isn't, if you ask me.

wise words indeed. I just read some things a long time ago on wiki and stuff when first came to know about it in the witcher forums, otherwise I hardly know anything about the PnP, and I like it to be that way and looking at the stuff people talk about here, the teaser, etc. gets me more excited than others perhaps. So it's actually a good thing. As they say ignorance is bliss

Welcome aboard, Brosper. I will second Wisdom's stance and say feel free to shoot a message if you have a question, although Wisdom is our walking datapool of archived info on the world of Cyberpunk 2020.

Since there aren't any novels, that I am aware of, for the CP2020 world, we can only refer you to the authors who have helped shape the genre, like William Gibson (who you will hear referred to by some as St. Gibson).

As others have told you, you are in a prime position to come into the world of Cyberpunk 2077. Hell, sometimes I wish I hadn't spent years playing 2020 so that I could come into all of this with a clean slate since i tend to get....passionate...when I start talking about things I consider 2020 canon..lol.

Okay...scratch that...I get downright snarky. There, I said it..lol.

There are..two? novels in the 2020 world I can think of. Ravagers and something else. it's sequel. GOOGLE AWAY.

Welcome to the CP world,

I am also a novice to the world of CP2020 but I do find it fascinating to purchase the sourcebooks from eBay and then compare and contrast the CP world/setting with that of our own. As for getting into the setting of the game, I will attempt to get in a few PnP games over the coming years.

There are..two? novels in the 2020 world I can think of. Ravagers and something else. it's sequel. GOOGLE AWAY.

Ravagers and the Holo-men......... and oh god they are soooooooooo terrible.... just horrific really....

The main characters names are Byteboi and Bytegurl if that tells you anything...

Just sooooooooo bad.

http://www.amazon.com/Ravengers-Cyberpunk-2-0-2-0-Stephen-Billias/dp/0446602329

"Manhattan is now a Cyberpunk urban hell called Night City. Here, the Ravengers, a gang created of rejects from other gangs, roam the streets, headed by leaders byteboi and bytegirl. They agree to help the Digital Librarians create a new world, but are thwarted in their attempts by corporate soldiers who will not tolerate threats to the reigning pop culture of sex and violence."

Smart lawyer...

View attachment 560

Attachments

• 51vuH9od-kL._SS500_.jpg
    51vuH9od-kL._SS500_.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 46
http://www.amazon.com/Ravengers-Cyberpunk-2-0-2-0-Stephen-Billias/dp/0446602329

"Manhattan is now a Cyberpunk urban hell called Night City. Here, the Ravengers, a gang created of rejects from other gangs, roam the streets, headed by leaders byteboi and bytegirl. They agree to help the Digital Librarians create a new world, but are thwarted in their attempts by corporate soldiers who will not tolerate threats to the reigning pop culture of sex and violence."

Smart lawyer...

View attachment 294

Not too smart... she accepted me as a client....

OK, so what do you recommend, watch "Blade runner" first or read the book ?

Watch the movie... or if you can afford it, By the Boom Studios comic adaptation of Do Androids Dream Of Electric sheep. It is pretty much a word for adaptation of the short story, with a pretty awesome artist. Really its the only comic of its type, in that it is a perfect translation.

What made Bladerunner so great, so influential, even more so than the short, were the amazing visuals. It was a world you could believe was right around the corner... at least at the time it was putout. And it influenced every bit of near future science fiction to come since.

Also watch Strange Days. It timeline and tech isn't as advanced, bit it has the attitude of the game perfectly, and the Roles are present and played to perfection.

Then watch Albert Pyun's Nemesis, just so you get a feel for what action in a Cyberpunk game should feel like.

Then watch Raid The Redemption for a feel of what Martial arts and the Combat Zone should feel like.

So I am also totally brand new to cyberpunk in general and Cyberpunk 2020 specifically. Why am I always 20 years late for these parties!?

Anyway, I picked up Neuromancer by William Gibson. Figure I'll read the Sprawl Trilogy to get an idea of where cyberpunk was born, and then I'll start digging into CP2020.

Anybody ever heard of Gary A. Ballard? Tried hunting down his Bridge Chronicles at the local Hastings, but apparently he's self published and therefore hard to track down.

Anyway, what I'm trying to get at, is that apparently I have long been a fan of cyberpunk as a genre without actually knowing what it was. Epiphany, GO!!!! lol.

I was advised to start from Neuromancer (finished that, was rather amazing), and comics Transmetromopolitan and am slightly fascinated by Spider Jerusalem now. For those who aren't in PnP will probably often have this gap with some of the greatest games out there, like VtM and now CP77... Don't know how much either of those help, but it was almost paranormal of how taking up topic with a CP2020 fan would afterwards reflect in the comic.

I came to know about the existence of Cyberpunk 2020 when first mentioned in the witcher forums when first came to know they are working on something related to it. Although I'm a big fan of the genre, I'm in the dark side here as well. I nabbed the guide book and all, but didn't go about reading it. I'd rather take everything as a fresh new surprise when the game is finally out!

Top Bottom