what if rogue planned the heist instead of dex?

+

Icinix

Forum veteran
I have a working theory that Rogue originally passed on this heist and gave it to Dex

That would make a lot of sense - in Afterlife the first time when she comes in - she spots you at the bar and calls someone, the whole time staring right at you.

• RED Point
Reactions: Nux
Don't know - but I do know she would have had more outs and backup plans.

We had no redundancy whatsoever, can't imagine Rogue would go that deep on a high end op like this without having all sorts of ideas on how to get out if it went south.
the saying "no plan survives contact with the enemy" remains true and true. dex went into that heist believing everything will go according to plan. but things out of his control can happen after all!

No she can't save the deal
Dex's plan is good enough, the problem is how to solve the accident.
Count the accident
1. ICE is stronger than BUGs power, so she need more time to hack in
2. Saburo's sudden attack
3. Saburo been killed
4. V stay at the crime scene

The best way is call more hacker backup and keep the plan finish on time
But it would spent more money and more risk of betrayed, so even Rouge will cautious to do so, BTW, you should trust your guys.
Step 2-4 is totally out of control, no one knows the plan of Saburo, even Rouge.
At most time, the worst thing is V and Jackie been catch and killed, Arasaka pissed off.
But this time, Saburo die, that's not pissed off, that's declare war. No backup can handle this.
Do you remember the start of WWI? The assassinate of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria.
If Arasaka want, they have reason to nuke NC immediately, buried the whole city with Saburo.

Never understood how Dex got to be a bigshot fixer

The funny thing is I don't think he actually is. JACKIE thinks he is but that's because Dex is hiring them.

I get the impression that they've only recently graduated to Regina Jones and Wak jobs, which means they were previously not even on the "Real" Fixer's radar.

the saying "no plan survives contact with the enemy" remains true and true. dex went into that heist believing everything will go according to plan. but things out of his control can happen after all!

I'd argue that Rogue would have probably done few things differently:

1. Allowed Jackie to get medical attention at a Ripper Doc. It may have been too late but that could have saved his life.

2. Rogue would have remained calm long enough to ask "WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED?" She wouldn't have panicked like Dex.

3. Rogue also would realize that Arasaka would have no reason to reward her since she just robbed them.

4. Without the chip being damaged, Vic could safely remove it.

I doubt Rogue would have even taken the job (unless she knew what was on the relic) and I doubt even more that Evelyn could have even paid Rogue upfront. If Rogue wants 15K just for info on one man, her asking price to cross Arasaka would have been beyond Evelyn.

If Eve had known what was on the chip and could have told Rogue? She would have sent the best and Jackie and V would never have got through the front door of the Afterlife.

It would make for a much more interesting story for sure because you are getting rid of a minor character (Dex) for more development and interaction with a major character who would than be connected to both you, V and Johnny (Rogue).

If Rogue was in charge she wouldn't have hired you or Jackie
Or mabye Rogue wanted to vet merc's through Dex to test the mettle to see if they're worth hiring. I suspect Rogue knew about V BEFORE Dex even hired V. It would explain why she let you into her booth so easily the first time. Hell, I bet she even knew what was on the chip in the first place but because of her relationship to Johnny, she went through Dex so as not to be suspect in the theft of it.

The funny thing is I don't think he actually is. JACKIE thinks he is but that's because Dex is hiring them.
Maybe. Vik calls him "a known quantity from the afterlife" and I think Street Kid V remembers him from before. I guess it depends on what to consider a big shot.

Actually I don't think it would have been much different, because no one, not even Yori, expected Saboro to show up, and I doubt even Rogue had access to Saboro's travel itinerary when it was a surprise visit.

So the arrival of Saboro, not piss poor planning, was the wrench that was thrown into the gears and mucked it all up. Otherwise the OP was going rather smoothly, with only minor hiccups that you're expect as a professional. The fact that Saboro showed up right at that minute changed everything. A minute later and they would have been gone. A bit sooner and the OP would have been cancelled on the spot or changed to reflect the new perimeters.

Now the question is, what would have Rogue done afterwards. Honestly I think here is the difference. Rogue would have made you disappear much better, and used a larger caliber bullet, then Dex did.

Actually I don't think it would have been much different, because no one, not even Yori, expected Saboro to show up, and I doubt even Rogue had access to Saboro's travel itinerary when it was a surprise visit.

So the arrival of Saboro, not piss poor planning, was the wrench that was thrown into the gears and mucked it all up. Otherwise the OP was going rather smoothly, with only minor hiccups that you're expect as a professional. The fact that Saboro showed up right at that minute changed everything. A minute later and they would have been gone. A bit sooner and the OP would have been cancelled on the spot or changed to reflect the new perimeters.

Now the question is, what would have Rogue done afterwards. Honestly I think here is the difference. Rogue would have made you disappear much better, and used a larger caliber bullet, then Dex did.
Maybe, but if I remember nobody knew it was about the Relic, or at least that it had the engram on it and that it would start uploading Johnny and revive the body. <-- this may be something nobody could've known but alright.
I think even the aftermath wouldn't have made much of a difference.
Rogue's cautious nature however makes me believe she would've done anything to at least know precisely what she wanted stolen. That she wouldn't spill them beans to us is clear (made clear even) but for herself to not know, nor what is would do I question that greatly.
Post automatically merged:

Also leading back to that she may not have taken the job.
But if she did manage to find out, then yes... then she'd cover her ass behind tens of layers of deception.

Also leading back to that she may not have taken the job.
But if she did manage to find out, then yes... then she'd cover her ass behind tens of layers of deception.

Oh she's have taken the job. The chance to mess with Arasaka and the chance to get something of Johnny back, she'd have taken it in spades.

We know that the VDB knew what was on the chip, and there's a good chance that Evelyn may have known since she was listening to the conversation that we got to BD scroll later. She may not have understood the implications, but she may (may) have known.

Dex probably didn't want to know what was on it, plausible deniabilty. He was hired to fix the job to acquire an asset, and he may have asked, but probably it wasn't very important in the grand scheme of things. To him it was just another high-level asset acquisition.

Rogue may have done her homework better, and wanted to know more, but the end result would have been the same, V lying dead somewhere with a bullet in their head. The question is, how would Rogue dispose of V, and could the chip repair the level of damage Rogue would have had caused to V.

Top Bottom