What if the Heist Worked?

+

Guest 3847602

Found an interesting video on youtube on the topic of where would story go and what would have happened with the characters had the heist went a planned:

I thought it was a good watch, so why not share it.

Good watch, thanks!

I can't remember where I've read this before, but I believe Ev was going to sell the chip to Netwatch.

On my first play through when doing the first mission Placid gave V, I was so on guard that when I ran into the net watch guy in the cinema I saw the dialogue but because I aimed at the netwatch guy, the dialogue disappeared. I moved closer to the netwatch guy trying to get him to talk again (without aiming) but he wouldn’t talk and I ended up frying all of netwatch with the malware Placid planted. I went through all the messages on the laptop and saw Evelyn’s email wanting to make a deal with Netwatch in regards to the relic.

If you read/saw it somewhere (in game) then that’s where you saw it 🙂🙂:)

That was a great video but he did miss two points.
  • Evelyn wanted to sell to Netwatch
  • Voodoo boys contracted Evelyn to scroll a virtu of Yorinobu’s penthouse... that was her only job.
Evelyn slipped up when she brought up the relic while Brigit was instructing her to only scroll a virtu. Brigit never mentioned the relic to Evelyn. In my mind, I’m thinking Evelyn might’ve saw an opportunity to work with voodoo boys somehow but after getting shot down super quick she decided to take things into her own hands....my own assumptions, I could be totally off. Then, later Evelyn spotted Brigit on the phone (not sure if Evelyn later translated the convo) . Brigit already planned to get rid of Evelyn for “Knowing to much”.

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

Good watch, thanks!

I can't remember where I've read this before, but I believe Ev was going to sell the chip to Netwatch.
Now that you mention NetWatch, it does sound familiar to me too, I went to Judy's place to check her email and see if there's anything there, but no, nothing.

Yorinobu was going to sell the Relic to NetWatch first. Then the Voodoo Boys got in contact with Evelyn to create the BD, and that's when she got her bright idea. I think pretty similar to @Jaszi_, that she saw those potential eddies and thought she could have her cake and eat it too in working with both the VDB and NetWatch. She probably thought she could offer to split the profits with th.e Voodoo Boys. Oops.

On my first play through when doing the first mission Placid gave V, I was so on guard that when I ran into the net watch guy in the cinema I saw the dialogue but because I aimed at the netwatch guy, the dialogue disappeared. I moved closer to the netwatch guy trying to get him to talk again (without aiming) but he wouldn’t talk and I ended up frying all of netwatch with the malware Placid planted. I went through all the messages on the laptop and saw Evelyn’s email wanting to make a deal with Netwatch in regards to the relic.

If you read/saw it somewhere (in game) then that’s where you saw it 🙂🙂:)

That was a great video but he did miss two points.
  • Evelyn wanted to sell to Netwatch
  • Voodoo boys contracted Evelyn to scroll a virtu of Yorinobu’s penthouse... that was her only job.
Evelyn slipped up when she brought up the relic while Brigit was instructing her to only scroll a virtu. Brigit never mentioned the relic to Evelyn. In my mind, I’m thinking Evelyn might’ve saw an opportunity to work with voodoo boys somehow but after getting shot down super quick she decided to take things into her own hands....my own assumptions, I could be totally off. Then, later Evelyn spotted Brigit on the phone (not sure if Evelyn later translated the convo) . Brigit already planned to get rid of Evelyn for “Knowing to much”.
If the game would go even deeper into RPG and "think-outside-of-the-box" scenario's I also miss another option.
- the scenario where V never puts the relic inside her head and decides to try and get rid of the relic to either Dex or Ev (and perhaps lies about its secure state to Dex and Ev). V could easily surmise by now the Heist has gone tits up and stop caring about trying to still complete it 'succesfully'. Instead she could decide to stick it to Dex first by trying to hand over (or still sell) the relic to either Dex or Ev, but make the handover while being armed so she can nullify a potential backstab. In this scenario V could already consider the job a waste and simply try to move on, just get rid of the relic (assuming that is ultimately the most important object to Arasaka) So handing it over to either Dex or Ev would shift Arasaka's sights from V to them. The one thing that wouldnt work theoretically (which also doesn't work in the game already) Arasaka never pursues you for doing the stealing and possibily shooting your way out.
However if we ignore that and stick to Arasaka's interest only being with about the relic, V could escape with her life intact, make Dex and/or Ev the corpo's target, (or VDBs). Both would end up dead anyway, V would remain alive and unaffected by the relic. She'd have to possibly regain the trust of fixers but could start working as usual again. The goal of wanting to become a legend wouldn't change. And I guess her ultimate goal would then become to try and find a way to get new high-score jobs (from Rogue?) to restore her reputation.
Post automatically merged:

Found an interesting video on youtube on the topic of where would story go and what would have happened with the characters had the heist went a planned:

I thought it was a good watch, so why not share it.
Interesting what-if. I like it.

Last edited:
If the heist were successful, V wouldn't have such a good reputation to be on the call list of every fixer in Night City.

Sound crazy? Not really. Success has many fathers, failure has but one. V would have gotten zero credit for the successful heist - that would have been all Dex. By walking out the lone survivor, everyone knows that V can play in the big leagues. That's why they're all literally throwing jobs at V every chance they can get.

If the heist were successful, V wouldn't have such a good reputation to be on the call list of every fixer in Night City.

Sound crazy? Not really. Success has many fathers, failure has but one. V would have gotten zero credit for the successful heist - that would have been all Dex. By walking out the lone survivor, everyone knows that V can play in the big leagues. That's why they're all literally throwing jobs at V every chance they can get.
I get what you're going for but there one angle here you gloss over too quickly for my taste. Credit for the heist would maybe go to Dex, but everyone knows he's just a fixer, so all other fixers would soon figure out what crew pulled it off. And clients would pretty much figure it out the same way via their contacts. Then other clients would want Dex to hire them "the relic crew" to get their jobs done.

[Edit1] I should add btw: Roque knew you'd be the one (with Jackie) to have taken the job regardless. So Rogue would actually DO give you jobs, where she now refuses to because V botched it.

[Edit2] There's also btw another topic around here somewhere where it was speculated that Evelyn may have scoped out other fixers (Rogue among them) but they passed and Dex was the only one gullible enough to take it on. In any way: the heist is a very interesting point in time for V where many what-if scenario's can be created.
I for one would be interested if thegame was expanded at some point where the heist can be accessed via a greater variety of ways (I know, idle thinking) but the possibilities if the who's and how's and whatnot are awesome potential.

Last edited:
Yorinobu was going to sell the Relic to NetWatch first. Then the Voodoo Boys got in contact with Evelyn to create the BD, and that's when she got her bright idea. I think pretty similar to @Jaszi_, that she saw those potential eddies and thought she could have her cake and eat it too in working with both the VDB and NetWatch. She probably thought she could offer to split the profits with th.e Voodoo Boys. Oops.
Part of her agreement with netwatch was for relocation and protection, so she was probably planning to burn VDBs and run. Without the relic, netwatch probably refused to protect her. There was a mail in creole in the netwatch comp, don't know what it said.

He made a good point, the Voodoo Boys were probably too broke to pay, so everyone died for nothing.

The VDBs weren't the buyers, they were probably planning to steal it themselves, not buy it. They also are probably pretty well off, they are known for robbing/blackmailing rich people, have technology that rivals tech companies thats custom. But yeah, Relic 2.0 money? I doubt they d pay it.

netwatch was the buyers though.

So the question that's been nagging me...

Why does Yori want to sell the relic chip to Netwatch? Why did he specifically put Johnny's engram on it? Is it because of Alt? Actually, how come V didn't get the option to ask the Netwatch agent about the relic chip (surely he would have seen it and probably knew Yori wanted to sell them the chip)?

Furthermore, what would happen should Yori successfully sell the Relic chip to Netwatch?

Also what was Saburo planning on doing to Yori?

Because honestly it sounded like Yori is the good guy (perhaps this is why he specifically put Johnny's engram on the Relic chip, he wanted to destroy Arasaka). So why aren't the player given the choice to actually partner up with Yori? Especially in the Sun or Star ending? Surely Yori could have called V and persuaded them to attack Arasaka tower while Yori did his thing, and bankrupted Arasaka, and in return Yori would remove the Relic chip out of V without the 6 month plot cancer.

Do you realize that Hanako dies in all ending except Devil? I wonder if a post game DLC is about this? Maybe Yori contacted V and told him how to remove the plot cancer? And it of course involves going to the Crystal Palace?

So the question that's been nagging me...

Why does Yori want to sell the relic chip to Netwatch? Why did he specifically put Johnny's engram on it? Is it because of Alt? Actually, how come V didn't get the option to ask the Netwatch agent about the relic chip (surely he would have seen it and probably knew Yori wanted to sell them the chip)?

Furthermore, what would happen should Yori successfully sell the Relic chip to Netwatch?

Also what was Saburo planning on doing to Yori?

Because honestly it sounded like Yori is the good guy (perhaps this is why he specifically put Johnny's engram on the Relic chip, he wanted to destroy Arasaka). So why aren't the player given the choice to actually partner up with Yori? Especially in the Sun or Star ending? Surely Yori could have called V and persuaded them to attack Arasaka tower while Yori did his thing, and bankrupted Arasaka, and in return Yori would remove the Relic chip out of V without the 6 month plot cancer.

Do you realize that Hanako dies in all ending except Devil? I wonder if a post game DLC is about this? Maybe Yori contacted V and told him how to remove the plot cancer? And it of course involves going to the Crystal Palace?

Yorinobu supposedly wanted information netwatch had access to. He told the netwatch he had reasons the netwatch wouldnt understand, but based on the ending, he probably respected silverhand.

Saburo was likely going to retrieve relic, then kill him.

V is nobody, Yorinobu doesnt know much about them, and doesn't care. V only has access to Hanako because of Takamura, and Rogue because of Johnny. He has no connections with access to yorinobu, he believes yorinobu wants him dead, which, we don't know if its true. Before the ending, no one believes V is force to be reckoned with. Yorinobu doesnt have a cure for relic, maybe he could find one given time, but its unknown.

never noticed Hanako dying in other plotlines.

Some of the questions here are really difficult to answer and I'm struggling a bit with them too.

Why is Johnny's engram on the relic? I think I have a good theory as to why Arasaka kept Johnny's engram in the first place, but not how he came to be on the relic. Its likely they kept him for intelligence extraction at the end of the 4th corporate war. Since the nuclear attack on Arasaka Tower was a Militech black op, they were hoping to find something that ties Johnny to Militech in order to justify a retaliatory strike, which would either extend the 4th corporate war or start a 5th one. But I don't think Johnny knew shit based on his recollection of the events in the game.

It also makes sense that he would never knowingly work for Militech in one of their black ops. Militech likewise is happy for Johnny to take the blame for the domestic terror attack. They create a pretext to expel Arasaka from the continental US and start an asset grab under the guise of national security. We know that Militech were temporarily re-nationalized by the US government at that time.

Megacorps are well resourced enough that they can contract out wetwork and leave no traces - no money trails, no recorded communications, nothing that leads back to the corp. This also explains why Johnny doesn't remember anything about Morgan Blackhand, given that he created Johnny's "distraction team" and is a de facto Militech employee. Its probable Johnny didn't even know he was involved either. I think Johnny was a useful pawn in a megacorp power play he didn't understand, but Arasaka didn't know that.

So they tried to get actionable intelligence out of him at the end of the 4th corporate, don't find anything, shelved him indefinitely, then forget about him. So who takes him out of the archives to put him on the relic? Was it Helman? Maybe I missed something but it doesnt make sense. The second protype was a personal project of Saburo's and was intended for him. The only thing I can come up with by way of explanation is the second prototype was going to go into a trial phase where they use it on a guinea pig. And Saburo would talk to the guinea pig and would know the trial had been successful if he recognised the mind of an old adversary. But ultimately Johnny is inconsequential and I don't think Saburo ever thought of him as a real adversary, so it feels a bit thin.

Was it Yorinobu? He stole the relic but if he had planned to overwrite Saburo's mind with Johnny's engram, he wouldn't have strangled his father at Konpeki. Or if he did, he would have slotted the relic into his father's head, bringing back from the brink of death, made up with the family and rejoined the fold. Then he would have watched as the iconic head of Arasaka corp slowly started getting real funky anti corpo ideas and some killer guitar licks...

So if Yorinobu stole the relic, why would he sell it to Netwatch? Netwatch is like a neutral organisation funded by megacorps, so while they have megacorp infosec as their mandate (broadly speaking), I don't think they would want to be involved with inter corp conflict. Thats not their purpose and they have nothing to gain by inserting themselves in the middle of it.

How does Brigitte know that Johnny's engram is on the relic? Don't know. She needs it to break through the blackwall but again, we come back to the frustrating question of who put Johnny on the relic? VBDs are some of the most highly skilled runners around so its possible they stole this intel? Maybe? That would mean Brigitte orchestrated the heist though right?

Last edited:
Some of the questions here are really difficult to answer and I'm struggling a bit with them too.

Why is Johnny's engram on the relic? I think I have a good theory as to why Arasaka kept Johnny's engram in the first place, but not how he came to be on the relic. Its likely they kept him for intelligence extraction at the end of the 4th corporate war. Since the nuclear attack on Arasaka Tower was a Militech black op, they were hoping to find something that ties Johnny to Militech in order to justify a retaliatory strike, which would either extend the 4th corporate war or start a 5th one. But I don't think Johnny knew shit based on his recollection of the events in the game.

It also makes sense that he would never knowingly work for Militech in one of their black ops. Militech likewise is happy for Johnny to take the blame for the domestic terror attack. They create a pretext to expel Arasaka from the continental US and start an asset grab under the guise of national security. We know that Militech were temporarily re-nationalized by the US government at that time.

Megacorps are well resourced enough that they can contract out wetwork and leave no traces - no money trails, no recorded communications, nothing that leads back to the corp. This also explains why Johnny doesn't remember anything about Morgan Blackhand, given that he created Johnny's "distraction team" and is a de facto Militech employee. Its probable Johnny didn't even know he was involved either. I think Johnny was a useful pawn in a megacorp power play he didn't understand, but Arasaka didn't know that.

So they tried to get actionable intelligence out of him at the end of the 4th corporate, don't find anything, shelved him indefinitely, then forget about him. So who takes him out of the archives to put him on the relic? Was it Helman? Maybe I missed something but it doesnt make sense. The second protype was a personal project of Saburo's and was intended for him. The only thing I can come up with by way of explanation is the second prototype was going to go into a trial phase where they use it on a guinea pig. And Saburo would talk to the guinea pig and would know the trial had been successful if he recognised the mind of an old adversary. But ultimately Johnny is inconsequential and I don't think Saburo ever thought of him as a real adversary, so it feels a bit thin.

Was it Yorinobu? He stole the relic but if he had planned to overwrite Saburo's mind with Johnny's engram, he wouldn't have strangled his father at Konpeki. Or if he did, he would have slotted the relic into his father's head, bringing back from the brink of death, made up with the family and rejoined the fold. Then he would have watched as the iconic head of Arasaka corp slowly started getting real funky anti corpo ideas and some killer guitar licks...

So if Yorinobu stole the relic, why would he sell it to Netwatch? Netwatch is like a neutral organisation funded by megacorps, so while they have megacorp infosec as their mandate (broadly speaking), I don't think they would want to be involved with inter corp conflict. Thats not their purpose and they have nothing to gain by inserting themselves in the middle of it.

How does Brigitte know that Johnny's engram is on the relic? Don't know. She needs it to break through the blackwall but again, we come back to the frustrating question of who put Johnny on the relic? VBDs are some of the most highly skilled runners around so its possible they stole this intel? Maybe? That would mean Brigitte orchestrated the heist though right?

Yorinobu wasnt putting it on relic 2.0 for Saburo, he was giving it to netwatch. There is an email to netwatch you can view during the heist.

netwatch is funded by the megacorps, but they are basically selling access to the net and protection from AI, they are apparently pretty powerful. The relic 2.0 is valuable on its own, to any corp

Whoa I missed that email. Do you happen to remember where it was in the heist? Maybe they specifically wanted Johnny's engram for the same reason Brigitte did - they knew about Alt?

Top Bottom