What is a godling?

+
Right we will all him Duke Čučimir Belojević just for the sake of it. The character is supposed to be ridiculous, hence the ridiculous name "Johnny". I have to say though my choice sounds even more ridiculous.

I'm surprised nobody made a thread about this already.
I don't want no Johnny, Nick, Jason or whatever English Name in my version of 'The Witcher 3' whatsoever.
Please RED, change it to a more Slavic Name. It's just ridiculous.
:facepalm:
You obviously haven't watched the Novigrad demo because when the name Johnny was mentioned in it, you could see the odd look on everyone's face and the way they said it. It's supposed to be like that, and what happens in the quest later according to the previews is we get him his voice back and it's ridiculous and he makes jokes.

"Johnny" when translated into my native slavic language is an old folkish way of saying the name "John". Perhaps they ment it like that and the meaning just got lost in English wording, who knows.

My take on his name is that is the a nickname that Ciri gave him. Ciri had the tendency of giving Silly nick names like calling an unicorn horsey.

It could be that Johnny real name is a more complex and hard to spell name that had a passing similarity to john or johnny so Ciri shoertened it that way and called him that.

NO, I have a problem with Johnny.

What about John? Juan? Johann? Giovanni? Gianni? Hans? Ianto? Ivan? Oh wait, that one is slavic, so I presume it's cool. Um...Jan? Jonas? János? Jack? Jean? Yohanon? J-Dawg?

I just hope we don't see any other 'ridiculous' English names.

Define "ridiculous" in the context of English names. Please be specific, so the devs can draft up a proper set of guidelines that will satisfy your demands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right we will all him Duke Čučimir Belojević just for the sake of it. The character is supposed to be ridiculous, hence the ridiculous name "Johnny". I have to say though my choice sounds even more ridiculous.

Excuse me, but Čučimir Belojević is a fine serbian/croatian/bulgarian name from the medieval times. :D For the sake of "ridiculousness " you could have named him Vaclav Přemysl Otakar II

I'll admit that my knowledge regarding the Duke ends with his name. I just googled Serbian Noble names just for the sake of comedy. Since I have some free time though, I'll read some things about both of them. Ain't that fun? :p

I' m Serbian, and this is the first time I have heard of him. But it looks like I know of his relative, Hvalimir Belojević.This seems to be a perfect opportunity to waste my time on Wikipedia.

(Google Translator)

The name "Jan (John)" comes from the Bible, but in Polish culture is very popular.
The most common diminutives of the name:
Janek, Janeczek, Janko, Jańcio, Jaś, Jasiek, Jaśko. :)

We do not know whether it will be translated or not. Maybe Ciri visited the U.S. and met the magic of the movies with Johnny Depp? :)

Huhh, I'm Hungarian and my name is "Bellavics". It sounds pretty similar to Belojevic. I guess, it means the same thing too: something about "white".

NO, I have a problem with Johnny.

Oh, man! Don't continue this way you are going.... It's dangerous....

Top Bottom