What is CDPR's Stance on Discard Abuse by Letting the Timer Run Out?

+
Its a stupidly implemented and ill-thought out abusable feature. Theres no way you should essentially be able to skip your turn in order to gain a benefit by abusing a mechanic to get out of playing something that'd harm you in order to get a beneficial effect.

Mau_91;n9206471 said:
The timer is way to long in my opinion, you shouldnt have more than 15 seconds overall to play your turn, never understood people take a long time to play, and honestly its enraging.

not sure what deck you are playing but not more than 15 seconds ?
Yeah, for ST spell deck perhaps, just throw random cards on board.
But not everyone is playing netdecks where they watched/read tutorial what to do in every single game.

Some decks require more strategy and a lot of math. Especially now after closed beta where we have cards like "if something then boost something and damage enemy by half its power then lock it and sacrifice goat and discard 3 top cards and spawn frost on every odd row, Otherwise destroy bottom card from your opponents deck you played against two days ago and strengthen every second unit in your graveyard by 2 and draw a card then immediatelly discard it and pass the game".

Dont get me wrong, roping on purpose is annoying, but it happens to me a lot that I'm runnig out of time while still doing the math and considering all the posibilities how could opponent react.
But yeah, there are deck where you just dont give a fck.
Anyway, it's his time and he can do whatever he wants.

If you see someone doing this on purpose, just be patient and do the same. Happened to me a few times, he was roping 3 turns, then I started roping as well and he stopped. Oh and no GG for that ofc.

As for the discarding, never heard about it. If it's abused, perhaps the cards should be banished instead.

Last edited:
This sort of abuse can sometimes decide a game when Borkh is involved. Personally I don't mind, but to kill the waiting time they could just add some functionality (like a button) to fasten the process.

The idea of limiting a turn to 15 seconds is laughable btw. A strong contingent of new players will never commit to the game with this cruel restriction. What they can do is limit the time in relation to the level of the players in ranked mode. At that level, you should know your deck well enough. A general restriction will just push people towards monster decks.

4RM3D;n9207501 said:
Topic changed. Better now?
Yes, looks better. Thank you.

bilbo.baggins;n9207901 said:
I think a solution to the "skip" trick would be: if the timer reaches zero, the game automatically plays the first card on the left ( or right ).
I think that either a random card should be played or it's a pass.

TheShift;n9207541 said:
yes. The skellige discard is abuse by all means of the word and should adressed
like BornBoring said..simple fix is to banish the card
It's not that much about a discard abuse. It's a "skip" option that has never been mentioned in the game.

Last edited:
HenryGrosmont;n9207971 said:
I think that either a random card should be played or it's a pass.

Yes, that could also work.

From what i've observed, it looks like the cards are getting discarded in order, starting from the rightmost one ( i may be wrong ), so i thought it would be really easy, from a technical point, to simply change "discard" with "autoplay".

Just remember there are a lot of streamers out there that are talking to their followers.. watch swimstrim, he ropes like hell, 10-12 mins a match because he comments on what's going on etc. It's a good watch actually, won't want to be his opponent though.

HenryGrosmont;n9205941 said:
I would like to see a clear answer on the matter. Is this a part of the game and an acceptable strategy? And if it isn't, how are the devs planning to address this issue?

In Gwent, roping is waiting until you almost timed out and then playing a card (and slow-rolling is playing all the cards after the opponent passed).

EDIT.
I am talking about not playing a card on your turn.

I was playing a match last night where in the score was tied and I was out of cards. The opponent only had Cantarella in hand, and 0 cards in his deck. To play her would have meant a loss. But I had a unit under weather, and to pass would have given him a draw. He let the timer run out, and discarded Cantarella, causing me to lose 2 points to the weather on my side, and giving him the match.

I realized why and how he was doing it (Cantarella was revealed because of my Tibor play), and I thought it was a perfectly acceptable strategy. I know this isn't always the case, but in this instance, I couldn't really object.

KingPegasus;n9235861 said:
Just remember there are a lot of streamers out there that are talking to their followers.. watch swimstrim, he ropes like hell, 10-12 mins a match because he comments on what's going on etc. It's a good watch actually, won't want to be his opponent though.
This isn't the issue I brought up. Timing out and "skipping" the turn is the one.

MonsterAttack;n9235921 said:
Especially when they only 3 or less cards in their hands.
I'm missing the point here, I'm afraid.
frbfree;n9235991 said:
I was playing a match last night where in the score was tied and I was out of cards. The opponent only had Cantarella in hand, and 0 cards in his deck. To play her would have meant a loss. But I had a unit under weather, and to pass would have given him a draw. He let the timer run out, and discarded Cantarella, causing me to lose 2 points to the weather on my side, and giving him the match.

I realized why and how he was doing it (Cantarella was revealed because of my Tibor play), and I thought it was a perfectly acceptable strategy. I know this isn't always the case, but in this instance, I couldn't really object.
The game is either play or pass. There isn't a skip option built in it. So, any use of that should be penalised IF it is indeed an exploit and the devs are against it. In which case, something is ought to be done.

Unfortunately, the devs are silent on the matter.

I think they should add the button to skip your play by discarding a random card that gets banished. Make it official so it doesn't look like an exploit to some people.

Either way, I'm fine with it, valid strategy if you ask me.

I always thought there should be a combination of timers to prevent full game ropers.

The timers should be like they are now, but also a ten minute timer for the game. A normal thoughtful player could take a few full turns and be fine. A roper can rope for 10 minutes, but then they get the fast rope for the rest of the game.

It just feels like something that would work well in online tcgs

I realize we're talking about intentionally discarding rather than playing.

Last edited:
lomvicmarko;n9206501 said:
Timer is fine, when match is good i really need that bit of extra time to do my turn.

Totally agree, and in the worst place scenario a 2 min game becomes a 3 min game so...

Had a match where my opponent must have left. Timers went like this: full, 30 sec, then 10 sec rest of the way continuous discarding. So it seems there is time punishment.

Skryba86;n9236581 said:
I think they should add the button to skip your play by discarding a random card that gets banished. Make it official so it doesn't look like an exploit to some people.

Either way, I'm fine with it, valid strategy if you ask me.
Several times, I either passed or played when I would have won "skipping". As long as it isn't in the game description or the devs say it's perfectly fine, exploiting it is a bad taste, imo. For a simple reason that previously cdpr stated it wasn't a part of the game and it wasn't intented to be there. In that case, it should be penalised.

Can we get a ruling on this?

Last edited:
I'd always assumed that if you let the timer run out the game just played a card at random. Not only is that going to prevent people from discarding and staying in the game, but it also means that if you have a bad connection there is a chance you won't automatically lose the game if you later manage to reconnect.

Burza46

CD PROJEKT RED
HenryGrosmont;n9205941 said:
I would like to see a clear answer on the matter. Is this a part of the game and an acceptable strategy? And if it isn't, how are the devs planning to address this issue?

In Gwent, roping is waiting until you almost timed out and then playing a card (and slow-rolling is playing all the cards after the opponent passed).

EDIT.
I am talking about not playing a card on your turn.

Discarding a card from your hand is a strategy i many card games, of course the way that is done right now is not optimal and we're exploring a solution :)

Burza46;n9243771 said:
Discarding a card from your hand is a strategy i many card games, of course the way that is done right now is not optimal and we're exploring a solution :)
Thank you.
If I get it right, you don't like the way it's done but it's on you to provide the abilty. In other words, timing out and "skipping" is a legit move at the moment. Correct?

scorba;n9245271 said:
when your time runs out, you should be forced to automatically Pass.

that would solve a few issues.

+1
If you let the timer run out (intentionally or not) it should be a pass.
I understand that it would be frustrating if you have connection issues and lose a game due a unintentionally pass but that is not your opponents problem.

Top Bottom