What is the best way to counter Henselt?

+
What is the best way to counter Henselt?

What is the best way to counter Henselt? Any Ideas? According to my experience it is very hard to do so. Specially all the negative effects are nullified when the cards turn into gold by Henselt.

Destroy his units before they can be turned to gold.
- Redanian Elite goes into reinforcement. So snipe it before the opponent can play it.
- Same goes for Ves, before she can summon blue stripes.
- Also kill Margarita ASAP.

If you lack removal spells, force the opponent to keep playing and save your better cards for next round.

to add to what he said if the henselt player is just putting out/buffing units and promoting them like witchers commandos etc you could also run dimeritium bomb to negate any additional strength. that will only get you so far though you'd still need to put out a lot of strength yourself if he gets all his units out.

I run a henselt deck and what always screws me over the most is removal decks. If you can kill my units as I place them so I've got little to nothing to promote in order to trigger ballistas or my siege tower I'm pretty screwed.

When playing with Monsters I try to empty their graveyard, no matter if i'm against Foltest or Henselt (that's useless against a lot of Radovid decks though).

But yeah, that works best with a lot of removal cards in your deck because they'll use Field medics and similar cards over and over again to revive essential cards.

Just nuke everything: Margarita, Redanian Elite, some cavalry which turns gold after 2 turns, Ves. I played Henselt gold spam + Margarita festival before but at higher levels opponents just know how to kill everything I put on the field, wasting my medics.

If you have huge issues fighting vs Henselt, you might want to consider playing 2-3 Alzur's Thunder cards. This bronze common card kills Margarita, Ves and Redanian Elites before they go nuts, and normally should be more than enough to win.

Snfonseka;n7261800 said:
So... basically if you don't have enough removal cards, then you are sure to be defeated.

You see - there are several archetypes in collectible card games. Ones that are applicable to Gwent, in my opinion, are:
1) Combo decks - you run close to no removal and your goal is to score as many points as possible, while trying to protect your combo from being disrupted. Henselt builds usually drop in this category. If you play vs Henselt with a Combo deck, you don't need removal - you just need to make it to round 3 and score more than the Henselt player. This type of decks often wins vs the last type of decks, Combo-Control, if your combo is resilient enough to few removal cards and you play it right - your combos are just bigger and nastier. Examples of this kind of decks are SK resurrection chains and Henselt/Margarita builds.
2) Control decks - you don't score very high with your cards, but at the same time you make sure that your opponent doesn't either. You need to watch out for combos that are hard to break and that bring a lot of points. Ideal situation is to force your opponent to play his combo in round 2 after winning round 1 and then just pass - in round 3, your opponent will hardly show tough stuff. Generally, when played right, this type of decks is strongest vs Combo. Classic example of this type is e.g. Radovid Control.
3) Combo-control - you have certain ways to get rather high scores (e.g., Witchers, potions and Commander's Horn or Neophytes + Thunderbolt), but at the same time you play some removal. These kind of decks are often great vs Control, as you can adapt your strategy and deal with their not-numerous threats, and then play out your combo when they have already wasted their threats. Example of this type can be Scoia'tel neophyte elves.

Each type of deck has their own way of playing vs Henselt: should you be playing Combo, you need to play bigger than the Henselt player does, or force them to play their combo early, when you can still lose a round. Should you play something else - then you have to play removal, or you're just playing something weird :)

aspsnake;n7262150 said:
You see - there are several archetypes in collectible card games. Ones that are applicable to Gwent, in my opinion, are:
1) Combo decks - you run close to no removal and your goal is to score as many points as possible, while trying to protect your combo from being disrupted. Henselt builds usually drop in this category. If you play vs Henselt with a Combo deck, you don't need removal - you just need to make it to round 3 and score more than the Henselt player. This type of decks often wins vs the last type of decks, Combo-Control, if your combo is resilient enough to few removal cards and you play it right - your combos are just bigger and nastier. Examples of this kind of decks are SK resurrection chains and Henselt/Margarita builds.
2) Control decks - you don't score very high with your cards, but at the same time you make sure that your opponent doesn't either. You need to watch out for combos that are hard to break and that bring a lot of points. Ideal situation is to force your opponent to play his combo in round 2 after winning round 1 and then just pass - in round 3, your opponent will hardly show tough stuff. Generally, when played right, this type of decks is strongest vs Combo. Classic example of this type is e.g. Radovid Control.
3) Combo-control - you have certain ways to get rather high scores (e.g., Witchers, potions and Commander's Horn or Neophytes + Thunderbolt), but at the same time you play some removal. These kind of decks are often great vs Control, as you can adapt your strategy and deal with their not-numerous threats, and then play out your combo when they have already wasted their threats. Example of this type can be Scoia'tel neophyte elves.

Each type of deck has their own way of playing vs Henselt: should you be playing Combo, you need to play bigger than the Henselt player does, or force them to play their combo early, when you can still lose a round. Should you play something else - then you have to play removal, or you're just playing something weird :)

Thanks for the explanation.

aspsnake nailed it +1
Combo-control are the most fun to play, imo. They're versatile against both Combo and Control, less susceptible to a "bad draw" loss and require a bit of creativity. But they need more cards in a deck...

Last edited:
Top Bottom