What is the best way to deal with Queensguard deck?

+
What is the best way to deal with Queensguard deck?

Hi, I am running a Nilfgaard reveal deck and played 3 games against SK Queensguard decks and lost. The last game we each won one round and in the final round I had 3 cards left while he had 2 and he still won by resurrecting all buffed and mighty queensguard.

I feel they might be a bit OP but I just want to some of the best ways to deal with them. Does locking work? is stealing them from the enemy's graveyard the only way to do it?
Let me know what Nilfgaard or Neutral cards would you recommend to counter that deck.

Cheers

Nilf can really mess up Queensguard deck. Run 3 medics and as soon as you see his shenanigans start to take place, res them from his graveyard. They will stay nice and safe in your Graveyard, just out of reach from your opponent.

Voodoocaster13;n8633230 said:
Nilf can really mess up Queensguard deck. Run 3 medics and as soon as you see his shenanigans start to take place, res them from his graveyard. They will stay nice and safe in your Graveyard, just out of reach from your opponent.

Yeah I thought about that, the problem is I am not running spies so I wont need nilfgaard medics most of the time unless I want to steal something from the opponent graveyard. Do you think it is worth it to run x2 or x3 medics just to have a chance at countering some decks like the queensguard?

Edit: I mean is it worth it running Vicovaro Medics without having any spies just to counter Queensguard?

Last edited:
Why is Queensguard so strong? Because 1 simple revive can bring back 3-4 cards.
If I don't play Monster or Nilfgaard I try to win the first round with everything I got. Because If I don't win the first round. I have to beat Queensguard in the second round with at least 13 strength after just play 1 priest. So win the first round, milk the second and use weather in the 3rd. They are melee, If you sure your opponent have no more clear sky.....drop your weather.

If you play Nilfgaard, give Sweers a medal because he deserves it. This guy helps you out a lot. You can get send priests or shield Smith to the graveyard. So they can't revive Queens guard or buff them. Also, Cyprian Wiley still is a hard counter or just use mardrome. Not many people use mardome but its really good. You can reset a unit and weak it. You instant kill a Queensguard on round 1. If not at least she lost 3 base strength.

PS: to answer your question about Vicovaro Medic.... Great agains Skellige because they always have some good units with high base strength. Not really good vs ST, Monster. ( Not much to gain i think) Okay agains NR, Nilfgaard. ( Rot Tosser is always nice, And NR have good sieg weapons)

Last edited:
PandaLin;n8633930 said:
Why is Queensguard so strong? Because 1 simple revive can bring back 3-4 cards.
If I don't play Monster or Nilfgaard I try to win the first round with everything I got. Because If I don't win the first round. I have to beat Queensguard in the second round with at least 13 strength after just play 1 priest. So win the first round, milk the second and use weather in the 3rd. They are melee, If you sure your opponent have no more clear sky.....drop your weather.

If you play Nilfgaard, give Sweers a medal because he deserves it. This guy helps you out a lot. You can get send priests or shield Smith to the graveyard. So they can't revive Queens guard or buff them. Also, Cyprian Wiley still is a hard counter or just use mardrome. Not many people use mardome but its really good. You can reset a unit and weak it. You instant kill a Queensguard on round 1. If not at least she lost 3 base strength.

PS: to answer your question about Vicovaro Medic.... Great agains Skellige because they always have some good units with high base strength. Not really good vs ST, Monster. ( Not much to gain i think) Okay agains NR, Nilfgaard. ( Rot Tosser is always nice, And NR have good sieg weapons)

Thanks for this. I am gonna try these ideas and will craft Sweers right away to give him a medal :D

zhiphius;n8634720 said:
Doesn't maerdrome reset just "boost" not "strengthen"?

It resets boosted or damaged units and then strengthen or weaken by 3 as I remember

Last edited:
As NG your options for hard countering QG are:
Vicoovaro, but you have to play around bears
sweers his freyas
​​​​​​​letho his QG (easiest way but costs a gold slot)

Neo252;n8633150 said:
I feel they might be a bit OP

Hah i knew it! It was just a matter of time to someone shows up and call qg op.

PandaLin;n8633930 said:
Why is Queensguard so strong?

Because everything else got nerfed. QG was never strong, but when you nerf everything, what wasnt nerfed becomes stronger. Now people will start complain about, cdpr will nerf it to please the masses, something else will become strong, people will call it op, cdpr will nerf it to please the masses and so on and so forth until only god knows where we will end.

Nekromantie is also really good. It bans a unit from the graveyard and buffs your strongest unit with the strength. You can a Queensguard and buff yourself. But it's kinda weak against other decks. If you are not lucky, the best you can get are low strength cards and also the scorch gonna hurt you.

And of course, use the Bear if you play Skellige. They can't use priest if you have a bear. Freya priest dies before revive.

Laveley;n8635830 said:
Hah i knew it! It was just a matter of time to someone shows up and call qg op.

Because everything else got nerfed. QG was never strong, but when you nerf everything, what wasnt nerfed becomes stronger. Now people will start complain about, cdpr will nerf it to please the masses, something else will become strong, people will call it op, cdpr will nerf it to please the masses and so on and so forth until only god knows where we will end.

I only said what I think and I might be wrong. and I also think that if the masses think (which I dont know if they are thinking that right now xD) that Queensguard is OP then it is indeed OP and the only people who will disagree are the ones running Queensguard.

Neo252;n8636800 said:
I only said what I think and I might be wrong. and I also think that if the masses think (which I dont know if they are thinking that right now xD) that Queensguard is OP then it is indeed OP and the only people who will disagree are the ones running Queensguard.

Yeah, but the thing is, the masses will always think something is OP. Than you are implying that will always exist something OP. But the thing is; the masses are frequently wrong.

It's not a perfect counter for QG by any stretch but Vanhemar is a nice card for controlling swarm decks in general. If they play even a few units plus res their QGs then Vanhemar becomes a 15-19 point card with tremors. It's super versatile though and can be a Clear Skies substitute too which is nice for non-QG match-ups.

Few cards that are good against QG is Peter Saar Gwynleve, reduce the QG on round 1 to 0 so they wouldn't have it in graveyard. Also Sweers is another card for reveal deck, target the medic if you reveal that card so there is less chance of reviving QG in round 2 and 3. As for neutral cards, cyprian wiley also works if reduced to 0 str, necromancy also banish their queens guard in their graveyard. Not perfect counters but some cards can run in reveal deck.

Piloting NG reveal atm. over 1/3 of the decks I've been facing this evening were QG. I feel they're a bit overtuned. If you don't get round one you lose, pretty much. I've been teching against them with Peter Saar Gwynleve, Vanhemar and Sweers. I have a slightly positive win rate. Cyprian Wiley is another possible tech.

If you manage to win round one and pass quickly in round two, the tempo spike from QG(1 bronze res is 25+ power) is manageable in the last round.

Are Queensgaurds too strong?

I don't want to say they are OP just yet but me playing SK with a Discard deck I am hesitant to use them in my deck because they seem crazy strong. All the Discard decks I have played against online use them and use them well. What are the best counters for Queensgaurd because right now it seems like you can't get rid of them. They come back every round in 3's with resurrect cards in your hand and they can be buffed and get stronger with veterancy. Anyone have any good ways to counter Queensgaurds because I really would hate to be like all the other Discard decks and play them because they are a must to win.

Banish them with Cyprian Wiley or simply steal them from your opponent graveyard.

Last edited:
I have thought about stealing from their graveyard but even then I will only be able to do that once maybe twice if I get lucky. Cyprain Wiley do?

Even stealing one would be a good disruption, two is even better - especially if they buffed up.

You could also try to use weather.

Good luck trying to get that to work when they have operator to make a 4th one. Steel them and they will just use their buffs on other shit. And good luck when they drop haljamar and have a decoy ready to deal 10 damage to make haljamar increase to 25...oh yeah... roach just came out. I'm owning lives with this deck right now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom