What is the best way to deal with Queensguard deck?

+
So I tried the medic trick. Wow, what a difference. The only trouble is always pulling a card that kill the queensguard but I had one match that I pulled two of them from his grave, he promptly quit the match immediately. :)

Thanks for the tip. Plus I use the card the banishes up to 4, had many a rage quit when I played that against queensguard!!!!

Assire works well too. Play her first thing 3rd round and it will shuffle two of their strongest Queensgaurd back into their deck making them inaccessible at that point. I also play Regis. One of the best cards IMO. First round he can potentially consume a Queensguard or Reaver, or any other card that gets constant buffs and can be annoying late game.

I've had games when QG played in all 3 rounds. Disgusting. Just, shouldn't happen. I bloody epidemic/scorched them, back they came in round 3, buffed to high hell!

Goodnight :)

gards;n9167090 said:
I've had games when QG played in all 3 rounds. Disgusting. Just, shouldn't happen. I bloody epidemic/scorched them, back they came in round 3, buffed to high hell!

Goodnight :)

Sounds like a poor approach to QG is to blame. If you have no GY steals stop trying to bleed QG in R2. QG adds too much tempo. The more they replay it the more they benefit. You only push R2 if you feel you have a reasonable chance for a 2-0. Otherwise you're betting they will not be able to replay it R3, at a point in the game when it's likely at it's strongest. If they hold a resurrect for R3, or draw/mulligan into it, you're going to have a tough time overcoming it with minimal cards. Stop... trying... to... do... so.... Win R1, get CA/dry pass R2, save a big tempo/removal option for R3. Force those resurrect cards onto lower tempo options, not on QG.

This is a bit general, but I always try to 2-0 QG if I can. They love a long game because it gives them time to buff their QGs to hell and back, and also getting them to burn their rez cards really screws them over.

premiumlagerbeer;n9201641 said:
This is a bit general, but I always try to 2-0 QG if I can. They love a long game because it gives them time to buff their QGs to hell and back, and also getting them to burn their rez cards really screws them over.
I also try that against SK, for QG and just in case they have Kambi.....

What is the Counter to buffed Queensguard spam?

I don't know what to do to stop them. They're constantly being base strength boosted. You can't lock them from coming out (which is totally dumb by the way since they can simply resurrect that card again). What do you do? The point gain is ridiculous combined with Cerys.

Ouderkirkj thread merged

Next time, it would be handy if you also explained which decks you are currently using and what you have already tried, in order for us to give some better advice other than 'git gud' or use the Monster graveyard robbing.

4RM3D;n9231741 said:
Ouderkirkj thread merged

Next time, it would be handy if you also explained which decks you are currently using and what you have already tried, in order for us to give some better advice other than 'git gud' or use the Monster graveyard robbing.

Let's not even pretend it takes any skill what-so-ever to play QG deck. C'mon.

Ouderkirkj;n9231751 said:
Let's not even pretend it takes any skill what-so-ever to play QG deck. C'mon.

Let's not even pretend it takes any skill what-so-ever to play Consume deck. C'mon.
Let's not even pretend it takes any skill what-so-ever to play Dwarf deck. C'mon.
Let's not even pretend it takes any skill what-so-ever to play Candy Crush. C'mon.
Let's not even pretend it takes any skill what-so-ever to play asdfghjkl. C'mon.
Let's not even pretend it takes any skill what-so-ever to play etc... etc...

*yawns*

What's the point of your post? You are asking for advice and yet you still haven't answered my question, instead you are ridiculing Skellige players.

4RM3D;n9231791 said:
Let's not even pretend it takes any skill what-so-ever to play Consume deck. C'mon.
Let's not even pretend it takes any skill what-so-ever to play Dwarf deck. C'mon.
Let's not even pretend it takes any skill what-so-ever to play Candy Crush. C'mon.
Let's not even pretend it takes any skill what-so-ever to play asdfghjkl. C'mon.
Let's not even pretend it takes any skill what-so-ever to play etc... etc...

*yawns*

What's the point of your post? You are asking for advice and yet you still haven't answered my question, instead you are ridiculing Skellige players.

Ahhaha i understand OP frustration... i play NR most of the time and try different combos: Commando call, siege, Witcher's, Reavers armada, Shield's armada.... and countering the QG is really hard. Until here my only option is to out-power without killing them, so they dont get resurrected, but the truth is that SK card combos are well sincronized.

SK does everthing.... : Resurrection, strengthening (inside hand, deck and grave, out of my reach), inter-sumoning (you play one thing and get 3 +)... u can make damage (bear, boat), or boost your units. Cards can be well combined so they benefit one from the other very well... and resurrecting the QG? is like having 15 temarian infantries full boosted inside the same deck.. WAY too much.

As a NR player, where most of card combos are good but dont do such harmoniously game, is really hard. And i already spend all my fortune on NR.... now i see my destiny is to join the enemy xD.
SK decks, here we go, until the programers balance this thing.

QG would be much balanced if they were (doomed)... 1 resurrection is more than enough. OR --- that after a Strengthened unit gets damage, it should go to the grave with the PowPoints it had before die.... that could make this OP mess way more affordable.

Nammu2;n9232291 said:
SK does everything

Most factions can do a lot, none can do it all at the same time.

Nammu2;n9232291 said:
QG would be much balanced if they were (doomed) [...] OR --- that after a Strengthened unit gets damage, it should go to the grave with the PowPoints it had before die

Queensguard have already been nerfed. Making them doomed or regressing basically kills the deck. Building up the QG takes time and resources. This can be directly and indirectly countered in a number of ways. But even then, there will always be decks that are weak against a certain faction. When you run an auto-buff deck, you really can't complain about QG.

Nammu2;n9232291 said:
i understand OP frustration

It's not about empathy, it's about logical reasoning. Players make a deck that works against most of the opponents, then they encounter an opponent that hard-counters their deck and they go on the forums demanding a nerf. That's pretty temperamental and short-sighted. The irony is that different players complain about different factions. This actually means every faction has the means to dominate when played properly.

Let's look at some of the power-plays. Monsters have Triss Swarm and Grave Hag, NR has Sergeants and Hunters (with Henselt), SC has resilient Dwarfs and Scorch-a-lot, NG has... well okay, they are a bit lacking.

Last edited:
4RM3D;n9232351 said:
NR has... well okay, they are a bit lacking.

AAHAHAHAHAHA .... indeed.

I agree. There are Queens counters in some factions. But DUDE... You get the 4th QG and then strength them (twice or more) and you just drop the first round.... and GG. Ur unstopable.
It's fine... game is Beta so balance is not the best of the game... but we can live with it.

Nevertheless ill be waiting for some NR boost up... something like "everyone is a crewman" wich could make NR great again.

Nammu2

Whoops, I meant to say NG. I keep mixing up those abbreviations. Anyhow, NR still has some interesting options (Radovid Control and some Sergeant/Hunter deck). NG is lagging behind, though.

Queensguard can be tricky to deal with, that's true.

There is multiple counter to that game plan though, one of them being, if you manage to take the first round try to force your opponent's priestesses/Sigdrifa out of their hand, even reducing their options to Sig is a good thing because it would mean that they can't buff their QG another time by resurecting Draig Bon-Dhu or playing Holger BH if that's their plan.

Another thing to know is that, the QG represents the most part of your opponent's power, if you're ahead on points after they're all out you shouldn't release the pressure, it's unlikely that your opponent can race you from that point (be careful though, unlikely doesn't mean impossible, they might still have quiet some tricks up their sleaves, but the QG is their win con by nature, it's not good for them if you can beat them on board).

Besides that taking down one QG out of the 3/4 is also a good plan, it rarely worth wasting a priestess to bring a single one back, it's such a slow tempo play.

AoE also helps (Lacerate, Arachas venom...), you might considere finding a spot for those spells in your deck, especially considering that they would help you a lot against Monster Swarm as well. And yes, your opponent could run some Armorsmith or D-Bomb but it's not very commun anymore (I do play with one D-bomb myself but it doesn't seem to be true for most QG players nowdays). Furthermore, if you force a D-bomb on your opponent's QGs at least it won't end up on your Spotters, which can't be a bad thing for you.

Strangely enough Mardroeme isn't a good card against QG, weakening one of them doesn't achieve all that much, especially since it implies you to not add any strengh on board when you use it.

About the mulligan, I found Aukes quiet poor in this match up (except if you're facing an hybrid discard/QG deck), I usually don't want him in my hand. Peter is slightly better, not ideal but he can help.
On the other hand Vanhemar (if you play him in your deck) is a premium card against QG. Not only this deck usually don't like weather (unless you're facing some very specific situations, always put frost on the front row, this is where all you're opponent's power will be) but Stammelford's tremors is really potent as well, killing the Priestesses in one shot and damaging the rest.

About the medic, playing 3 is obviously too much but maybe one could fit in your deck (I don't now your list so you're the only one who can know for sure), also see if Assire can help you with your strategy (she's good with Roach for example).

And to answer your question, no, locking the QG doesn't help at all, the QG card reads "Deploy : Resurect all QG" meaning that, even if a QG is locked in your opponent GY she will still come back when your opponent play one from their hand (she is the one who bring her friends back from the dead, not the other way around).

Last edited:
I play QG a lot and one or two Vico medics usually cripples my deck. QG works best if you can wear out your opponent in rounds 1-2 and then get the QG out in round 3 when your opponent only has 1-2 cards left. Reasonable counter-strategy is to either throw everything into winning round 2 or else throwing round 2 quickly.

I've found that when you have no Vicovaro Medics, Archgriffins or other graveyard hate cards, slamming down gold Lambert is a really powerful counter to QG. Against five QG (Operator + Summoning Circle) he's at best a 28-point play. If the QG haven't been Strengthened they'll even die to him.

A great last play on R3 (or R2 if you're going for a 2-0).

Top Bottom