What is the fun in playing Nilfgaard?

+
Not sure I could afford operator and informant in there. Very slow play.

Not really if you add Royal Decree, Menno Coehoorn and Marching Orders. The deck itself thins to 3-4 cards and this way you probably have operator drawpossibilities at start. I removed Mata Huuri, it looks like she gives the opponent cardadvantage at some point and she isn't necesary in a milldeck to get the other player to 0 in R2. Funny enough mill works very good vs some Syndicate decks that usually are very strong.

Milling is actually better now than in early HC... Well, not exactly, because the same strategy could have been used back then, but no one (or most mill players) didnt figure it out until recently.
Note: also, im not saying mill is good, i think its quite terrible, but i respect the players who use it, going for something weird

Before, the mill decks relied on Stregobor and Isbel, but they were prone to shut down. Now they rely on Operator-Viper witcher, to play 6-7 viper witchers on a match instead of 2, the only way to stop this is to transform or banish the viper witcher on your side.

Before, most mill decks even failed to mill me to 0, but the last 3 i faced actually succedeed in doing this in R2. However, 2 of them had lost so much CA on R1 and used most of their finishers, that i still managed to win R3.

Mill seems fun and it could be effective, but it is all luck based.

Here's 3 examples vs discard(with and without lippy) which should be unfavoured since you mill your own cards.

Example 1: I Run Wild Boar of the seas and gets sniped by Traehaern then he replays it to kill my Syanna then he banishes it from my graveyard. Then he plays a couple of viper witchers and one hits a filler card, the other hits Coral. Seems I'm in a bad spot but by the time the oponent has done that I'm already 20+ points ahead, he has 4 cards and I still have 8-9 cards in the deck, so he loses 3 cards to catch up and forfeits.

Example 2: Oponent (is not a genious let's say) and plays Cantarella and gets Lippy (I dont care because I can seize it back and renew it or copy it with dudu. The oponent plays Lippy in the back row , mills himself and forfeits. True stroy and it's happened 2 times or 3 already.

Example 3: Oponent plays the card that puts a card at the top of your deck to play cantarella next. I discard a card and get the card he was going to get for himself, he gets a freya's blessing without any SK unit in his graveyard. Uses many viper witchers and mills all my bad cards by pure luck and I win R1 by points and have my very best golds for the second round, not even Tibor could do much.

Those are 3 examples that might seem specific but those scenarios repeat themselves often when playing vs mill.

So to win with mill you need high level play and LUCK. A lot of it. Not to mention it is so tranparent they're a mill deck..

Here's proof. It is blurry but you can see he used Lippy and forfeited.

. 2020-02-10_2026_1.png

Last edited:
I have to say CDPR tried really hard and succeeded to make my favorite faction as obnoxious as it can be. They've sucked all the fun out of the faction and left it with frustration and annoyance when you encounter them on ladder. Same goes when you try to construct a deck and left with pretty much the same options for cards if you want it to be a little bit competitive.

Not sure I could afford operator and informant in there. Very slow play.

Not really if you add Royal Decree, Menno Coehoorn and Marching Orders. The deck itself thins to 3-4 cards and this way you probably have operator drawpossibilities at start. I removed Mata Huuri, it looks like she gives the opponent cardadvantage at some point and she isn't necesary in a milldeck to get the other player to 0 in R2. Funny enough mill works very good vs some Syndicate decks that usually are very strong.

Hmm. I had a little test yesterday with a deck based on operator, vipers, informant etc, and I found that it was very dependent on the draw, and in the end decided I really like the mill deck I currently have.

So, what leader ability would you use with that deck anyways?

Tactical Withdrawal would be my choice, you can use it on Vilgefortz or Vigo. Sometimes on a viper if better options are in the deck. I added RD and MC (autoinclude in almost all NG decks anyway) so the chance to get a operator in R1 is prominent. The informants when not drawn can be used in R3 to copy units and gain points since your milldeck probably doesn't contain a lot of units and possible draws em all out in R2. Because of that I also added 2 crossbowmen, not the best pointsmap but better then none.

bestmilldeckever

Last edited:
Tactical Withdrawal would be my choice, you can use it on Vilgefortz or Vigo. Sometimes on a viper if better options are in the deck. I added RD and MC (autoinclude in almost all NG decks anyway) so the chance to get a operator in R1 is prominent. The informants when not drawn can be used in R3 to copy units and gain points since your milldeck probably doesn't contain a lot of units and possible draws em all out in R2. Because of that I also added 2 crossbowmen, not the best pointsmap but better then none.

bestmilldeckever

Thanks for posting your deck, it's always interesting to see. It's also interesting how completely different our mill decks are. Perhaps a good sign even, regarding mill decks, that it's actually possible to make (many?) different ones.

You're welcome. If you like try switch some cards, Damian/Ihafuarrax out gives another 22 provision free. This one deck is made for speed and consistency for operatoring the vipers. Order units likely don't survive play. Having Marching Orders is the reason why Informant is the only 1 power unit. The gold 1 pointer playing opponents cards bricked too many times at bad moments. It could be a nice counter vs Yen-Invocation though.

Hey guys,

I'm very fresh to the game, and don't aspire to any professionalism, just enjoy it as I go. I've stuck to the monsters faction since the tutorial, and just started to try my hand at other setups - but Geralt B. Blaviken, am I fed up with wasting my time with Nilfgaard opponents!
Don't get me wrong, I can respect anyone's gamestyle- and lore preferences, but sitting there waiting around for my partner to play his turn for minutes each instance just kills the whole mood of the game for me. That's why I would ask for some help from you seasoned folks:
Is there any way that I can set my random-partner-seeker thing to exclude Nilfgaard faction when picking a match? Recently I was tempted just to forfeit any game when I saw it was against the Black Sun (whom I have nothing against story-wise, mind you), I've been so desperate. Thank you in advance for your help - I just would like to be able to keep enjoying this lovely little game for a bit more :D
Cheers, Zoltán
(yeah that's my actual name, no dwarves in the genealogy though as far as I know)

Howdy Zoltan,

If you can't beat them, join them? Perhaps if you played Nilfgaard it would change your mind?

It changed my mind. I was determined to play Northern Realms, but in the end I switched to Nilfgaard. As far as I see it, I don't think any of the other factions will change that.

Howdy Zoltan,

If you can't beat them, join them? Perhaps if you played Nilfgaard it would change your mind?

It changed my mind. I was determined to play Northern Realms, but in the end I switched to Nilfgaard. As far as I see it, I don't think any of the other factions will change that.

I have nothing against the faction, and of course, I want to try it sometime, but just the time I spent waiting on each friggin card to play make the whole bunch a lot less interesting for me. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely respect one's needs to consider what card to play next, and I can drag the time out sometimes too (even more since I'm still not familiar with a lot of combinations and units), but generally speaking I found that playing against Nilfgaard wastes my time soooo much it kills the whole mood of the game equally so whether I win or lose.
I don't mind playing against them if someone's sure about their decisions, I can even enjoy if they can hand me my ass some new, creative way :D In my experience though it seems there's a general pattern of playing the exact same cards all over again, but most of the time dragging the whole thing out till the timer almost runs out which makes it hella boring and nerve-wrecking in a bad way.

That's why I'd love to have an option to screen what faction I am willing to play against and be able to play it for the fun of it not wainting around for the 39th person reading on some forum or video telling them what to do next. This just destroys the creativity factor in the game in my opinion.

First of all I'd tell you don't waste your time on Monsters (MS/MO) right now and switch the faction. They are at the bottom of the barrel for months. Maybe even before Poison was introduced, which killed their design around tall units.

Second: ropers will rope no matter what faction they play. I usually have a map in my head what to play for couple of turns ahead (depending of the hand I'm given), which can be changed if I have to quickly respond to a play from OP. Maybe not the best way to play this game, but those are large leftovers from the beta game for me and I like to play the game like that - with general idea for an endgame.

I guess you have been unlucky with your opponents. Normally people don't spend that much time and I don't think it's characteristic of Nilfgaard in particular.

It is more advanced than other factions in that there are a number of spectacular things you can do, but they need to be executed in a particular way for it to gain maximum benefit. Just playing engines, damage or boost is quite easy.

Irregardless of all that, experienced Nilfgaard players don't take more time than other factions. Normally when people take alot of time, they are either new to the game, have a new deck or is playing an unfamiliar faction or something to that like.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Nilfgaard has been one of my favourite factions since it came out, but lately, and by lately i mean the past months, its toxic metadeck after toxic metadeck (no pun intended), no wonder it gets so much hate.

When i thought it couldnt get any worse than NG Poison, comes this Morvran abuse, where if you dont have the right counters you're screwed, and with almost no ways to deal 7dmg in a single turn, locks might be the best counter - ofc you need 2 or 3, to stop Skellen, Damien, Maraal (not to mention a way to deal with Defender, in case he uses it)

They could even try different variations with Yen:Con or Saessenthesis Blazes, but its always the same guys. My ranked decks are already built with that type of BS in mind, but i might do a deck that targets Morvran players 100%, might be fun to get back at those making NG this disgusting.

P.S.- i obviously didnt find out about these Morvran decks now, i know they are going around for maybe over a month, but i never seen anyone complaining so i decided to "throw the first rock"

but i never seen anyone complaining so i decided to "throw the first rock"

I think people dont mind Morvran as much because he is more about defense instead of "destroy everything on opponents board" like bombardment and poison. He is OP but I dont mind losing to him as much because I'll actually have cards on board at the end.

DRK3

Forum veteran
I think people dont mind Morvran as much because he is more about defense instead of "destroy everything on opponents board" like bombardment and poison. He is OP but I dont mind losing to him as much because I'll actually have cards on board at the end.

Actually, i think i would rather face Poison (with one of the other NG Leaders), because i feel i have a better chance to counter them, banishing the scenario, destroying Maraals and Damiens with thunders, lost track of how many of those i destroyed on the last couple of days, but ofc never against Morvran since those are always buffed to 7pt out of damage reach.

The SC ability that can boost by 2 (and move) could be used like this - although SC only has 3 charges and NG has 4 - but SC simply doesnt have any good order unit, and the neutral ones are worse than the NG exclusive ones like Damien.

Morvan as in boost a unit by 8 is OP? Just nailed that deck on the wall with a Dunn Banner deck and without reaching the top of points. Strong, but OP, nah.

Morvan as in boost a unit by 8 is OP? Just nailed that deck on the wall with a Dunn Banner deck and without reaching the top of points. Strong, but OP, nah.

The imperial formation leader ability in itself is definitely not overpowered. It might however propel overpowered cards.

DRK3

Forum veteran

Im not saying the boosts themselves are OP. But playing those powerful units that are 5pt and boosting them to 7 pts makes them in a range where they are incredibly hard to counter considering you only have one turn to do so.

There are plenty of specials that do 4/5/6 dmg, and 9 or above go into 'tall removal' territory. But at 7/8 its the sweet (or safe, i guess) spot.

Locking them is an option, but 1st you will need 2/3 locks, 2nd if they have purify, they can unlock the unit and use the order without a chance to counter again.

Im not saying the boosts themselves are OP. But playing those powerful units that are 5pt and boosting them to 7 pts makes them in a range where they are incredibly hard to counter considering you only have one turn to do so.

There are plenty of specials that do 4/5/6 dmg, and 9 or above go into 'tall removal' territory. But at 7/8 its the sweet (or safe, i guess) spot.

And now you know how it feels to play against ST or even SK and NR. Lucky for Nilfgaard they have all those locks to deal with that.

Considering the amount of removal tools ingame I'd say the boost of those strong cards is fair enough. If I at that moment wouldn't have a counter they'll stay alive anyway. The Dunn Banner deck doesn't contain any removal so ar as I can think of. That time the opponent used his leaderskill at Damian, in case of Skellen and Garrison it couldve been 25 points swifting. Nice. But in the match yesterday that wouldn't outpoint me either.

btw-considering the great diversity NG has as in poison, locks, mill, soldiers, seize, copying, spying, etc etc that would make NG great in fun to play with compared to other factions I guess. Lately I've been playing NG for 95%. Back in the beta the soldierdeck was my favorite.

Top Bottom