What is the point of artifacts if they have deploy?

+
The only useful ones now are traps and deploy artifacts, and given that there are more units interact with special cards than artifact now, what is the point of deploy artifacts?

[...] what is the point of deploy artifacts?

1. Pyrotechnician
2. Blocking cards with adjacent targeting, like Tavern Brawl and preventing row stacking, where applicable.
3. Turning spell effects into artifacts in order to change the tutoring pool of cards like Avallac'h and Land of a Thousand Fables.

Last edited:
I think there should be more cards like Serpent Trap. I don't like the fact it's the ONLY card that blocks a special card; there should be more 'spell casters' who should be able to stop things. The only way to introduce that mechanic is to have deploy artefacts; as everything with Gwent, there's a good idea in there somewhere, it just never seems to actually come out!

I think there should be more cards like Serpent Trap. I don't like the fact it's the ONLY card that blocks a special card; there should be more 'spell casters' who should be able to stop things. The only way to introduce that mechanic is to have deploy artefacts; as everything with Gwent, there's a good idea in there somewhere, it just never seems to actually come out!

Not to mention serpent trap and pitfall trap still don't prevent opponent from getting coins with crimes or units which is stupid and still not fixed after months

Not to mention serpent trap and pitfall trap still don't prevent opponent from getting coins with crimes or units which is stupid and still not fixed after months

Indeed. Coins are completely unchecked. They brought in Armour, which is not particularly well done (Knickers the dog has 1 armour? Whut?), but at least also integrated cards that remove armour. Coins appeared and there's absolutely no coin removal.

Knickers the dog has 1 armour? Whut?

Indeed...
Knickers, a dog, has one armor, but Gegroire, a knight in full plate armor, doesn't have any armor?

They brought in Armour, which is not particularly well done [...], but at least also integrated cards that remove armour. Coins appeared and there's absolutely no coin removal.

Because Armor is not a faction mechanic whereas Coins are (limited to SY). Making cards that only counter one specific faction should never be done.

CDPR could give targeted damage cards the ability to hit Coins. It wouldn't make sense lore-wise, but it would be more balanced than leaving Coins untouchable.

Indeed...

Because Armor is not a faction mechanic whereas Coins are (limited to SY). Making cards that only counter one specific faction should never be done.

CDPR could give targeted damage cards the ability to hit Coins. It wouldn't make sense lore-wise, but it would be more balanced than leaving Coins untouchable.

A lot needs to be done on duality of cards. CDPR keep bringing in endless new cards, which end up so good they leave most bronzes gathering dust, when they should just improve what they have.

So many have no duality, or single row only (which is pointless anyway). Pellar, for example, could purify from ranged, or remove 5 coins from melee. Cards like Sweers could seize 3 points from melee, or destroy all coins from ranged.

So many have no duality, or single row only (which is pointless anyway). Pellar, for example, could purify from ranged, or remove 5 coins from melee. Cards like Sweers could seize 3 points from melee, or destroy all coins from ranged.

No! Yes, old cards could be reworked to give a dual ability. However, like I have said, it should never target a specific faction because it's a terrible design decision. Never mind the fact it would take ages to (re)balance everything and it might just as easily break when a new mechanic is introduced.

I usually tutor out Vivienne if I see an Artifact. Cost alot of provision but people don't expect it usually iis an easy bounty or poison target
Post automatically merged:

Indeed. Coins are completely unchecked. They brought in Armour, which is not particularly well done (Knickers the dog has 1 armour? Whut?), but at least also integrated cards that remove armour. Coins appeared and there's absolutely no coin removal.
Coins would be OK if some unchecked cards had timers. We all know the list by now, coins also are too easy to obtain. Deploy coins on units should go away

And that's the whole problem isn't it? Coins are untouchable because it was decided to make them faction-specific and making cards that counter only one specific faction is a bad idea. On top of that, coins are not really a mechanic like self-wound, thrive etc, but they are simply a way to stack points in an untouchable way to be used later. If they wouldn't be faction-specific and if they wouldn't be untouchable but instead stayed with units, many fun and interesting mechanics could be created across factions, similar to the current early state of Armor. There are many units across factions for which it would make perfect sense that they use coins (except maybe for MO). Making coins SY-specific was a terrible idea.

Making coins SY-specific was a terrible idea.

Before the SY nerf, the Coin mechanic was problematic. Now, it's no longer an issue. While you cannot interact with the Coins, most of the time you don't really have to either. Regardless, moving Coins to units, instead of the leader, might lead to some more variety, which can also be expanded to other factions. However, we already have the Order/Charge mechanic and I don't like the idea of having something too similar. Ironically, this leads back to Coins being a SY only mechanic which gives the faction a unique identity. Or to put it different, remove the Coins from SY and there is little left.

TL;DR: I think that SY is in a good spot, right now, both gameplay-wise and lore-wise.

Before the SY nerf, the Coin mechanic was problematic. Now, it's no longer an issue. While you cannot interact with the Coins, most of the time you don't really have to either. Regardless, moving Coins to units, instead of the leader, might lead to some more variety, which can also be expanded to other factions. However, we already have the Order/Charge mechanic and I don't like the idea of having something too similar. Ironically, this leads back to Coins being a SY only mechanic which gives the faction a unique identity. Or to put it different, remove the Coins from SY and there is little left.

TL;DR: I think that SY is in a good spot, right now, both gameplay-wise and lore-wise.
I'd be happy if executioner, bastardi bros got timers and if phillipa could steal a 5 point max. These cards drive me crazy

I'd be happy if executioner, bastardi bros got timers and if phillipa could steal a 5 point max. These cards drive me crazy

Executioner and Borsodi are fine now that Bounty is limited to one unit. Giving them timers would effectively kill the whole faction. Phillipa is debatable. Personally, I dislike Ardal more, though.

Guest 4368268

Same here. That faction in general checks a lot of boxes for things I find terribly annoying to face. Having carryover, playing unitless for half the game (special cards that gain coins) hyper control oriented (poison + bounties) which is made so much worse by the fact that Moreelse but particularly Philippa has zeal. You can't interact with their coins and locking doesn't do any good against them either.

The Dijkstra townsfolk combo obliviously got peoples' attention cause it was exceptially broken, but there are still some serious problems with the way that faction works imo.

Having carryover, playing unitless for half the game (special cards that gain coins) hyper control oriented (poison + bounties) which is made so much worse by the fact that Moreelse but particularly Philippa has zeal. You can't interact with their coins and locking doesn't do any good against them either.

I sometimes wonder when players are criticizing, if they have tried to play the faction themselves with said deck. Because, that way, you learn to understand the deck the best, including its weaknesses.

- Carryover, in the way of coins, is circumstantial and rarely is the deciding factor, unless you can push a 2-0 without committing in the first round, which is equally rare.
- Playing too many Crime cards actually makes the deck worse, never mind the fact you need coin spenders on the board to unload your coins and those units can be interacted with.
- Bounty was already nerfed and is fine now.
- Poison is one of the more interesting mechanics and you'll face the same issue against ST.
- Moreelse is normally just a cheaper Enraged Ifrit. You have to pay quite the premium to have him remove tall units. The card is perfectly fine and doesn't need a nerf.

The faction was broken with Dijkstra + Townfolks, then it got nerfed (too much) and dropped from the top tier rank. Now, it's in a good place, well, almost...

Players are complaining about SY, yet no one mentions Savolla!? If you want to talk about broken cards, he comes closer than any other SY card, Phillipa included. Why? Because he is not circumstantial, unlike Phillipa. Yes, sometimes Phillipa is better, but Savolla is always reliable. On a side note, Madame Luiza could get a nerf to only work when she is on the board and not locked.

Executioner and Borsodi are fine now that Bounty is limited to one unit. Giving them timers would effectively kill the whole faction. Phillipa is debatable. Personally, I dislike Ardal more, though.
Me too, I hate that ability and having it replayed multiple times. I just forfeit when iI see it. Maybe not a 1 turn timer but it's a bronze that can do 9 damage at once which seems strong to since bronzes are not suppose to do over 3.

Same here. That faction in general checks a lot of boxes for things I find terribly annoying to face. Having carryover, playing unitless for half the game (special cards that gain coins) hyper control oriented (poison + bounties) which is made so much worse by the fact that Moreelse but particularly Philippa has zeal. You can't interact with their coins and locking doesn't do any good against them either.

The Dijkstra townsfolk combo obliviously got peoples' attention cause it was exceptially broken, but there are still some serious problems with the way that faction works imo.
It has the potential to be alot of fun with a high skill ceiling. I like decks where im playing toward a goal and managing coins could be fun with some of the synergies available. I still dislike it currently as it's a removal faction and feels dirty to play even more so than nilfg.

I sometimes wonder when players are criticizing, if they have tried to play the faction themselves with said deck. Because, that way, you learn to understand the deck the best, including its weaknesses.

- Carryover, in the way of coins, is circumstantial and rarely is the deciding factor, unless you can push a 2-0 without committing in the first round, which is equally rare.
- Playing too many Crime cards actually makes the deck worse, never mind the fact you need coin spenders on the board to unload your coins and those units can be interacted with.
- Bounty was already nerfed and is fine now.
- Poison is one of the more interesting mechanics and you'll face the same issue against ST.
- Moreelse is normally just a cheaper Enraged Ifrit. You have to pay quite the premium to have him remove tall units. The card is perfectly fine and doesn't need a nerf.

The faction was broken with Dijkstra + Townfolks, then it got nerfed (too much) and dropped from the top tier rank. Now, it's in a good place, well, almost...

Players are complaining about SY, yet no one mentions Savolla!? If you want to talk about broken cards, he comes closer than any other SY card, Phillipa included. Why? Because he is not circumstantial, unlike Phillipa. Yes, sometimes Phillipa is better, but Savolla is always reliable. On a side note, Madame Luiza could get a nerf to only work when she is on the board and not locked.
I can agree with that. Just some small changes is all it needs

Last edited:
IDK about that. In TW3, there is a quest called Count Ruevan's Treasure. Part of the backstory to this quest is that Dandelion masterminded a heist where he, Dudu and Ciri stole all of Sigi's treasure. Given Gwent draws from both Sapowski's and CDPR's respective lore, it wouldn't be out of line to have a Dandelion card that blocks a tribute. Kind of like a reverse Steffen.

Also, while not directly syndicate related, The Witcher has a quest that involves Yaevinn robbing the Vivaldi bank. So you could argue the basis for a Yaevinn card that has a one-shot delete/steal coins effect. Unfortunately, lore in this case would have to be ignored, since he was very much a ST character and this is an ability that probably shouldn't be locked to one faction.

Which is still an ability targeting a specific faction and a specific mechanic to boot, something I argued against doing.
If the mechanic by default of being locked to a particular faction causes the design space to exclude anything that interferes with it so as to avoid targetting a specic faction, it's not a good mechanic. In that case, CDPR should go back to the drawing board then for interesting SY mechanics.
Unless you consider that every faction is coded to gain coins. Currently, they just don't have any pure faction units that benefit from them. So then the problem is that other factions need to have their own organic coin generating and spending units, which then leads us back to cards that can counter coins.

Top Bottom