What is the point of playing non-lethal?

+
..but when nothing we do even matters anymore, all that matters are the things we choose to do.

--- Shelby Merry - When the Darkness comes part 2

Fantastic singer, song, and line.

You get exp for non lethal takedowns, then a bit more exp for going back through the area after mission completion doing fatal coup de graces and finishing them off.

I'm a bad person. yeah. I know ;)

Definitely needed for roleplay value where ludonarrative dissonance makes it really difficult to construct a character in your mind.

Some people just go full immersion and find it difficult to imagine a sympathetic character that murders thousands of people. They pick a poorly summarised dialogue option and when the character starts talking it is expanded into a rant about killing being bad karma. That kind of thing can really take you out of the game. A narrative conceit where you dispose of enemies non lethally helps players to rationalize some of the dialogue options on offer and gives a different flavour to the story.

I went almost full non lethal on my first playthrough as a Corpo office monkey turned stealth netrunner because I don't know. Deus Ex has just wired my brain that way. Now I'm on my second playthrough I'm doing a Corpo office monkey turned cyberninja reflex/blades build and that is very lethal. Blood splatter. Decapitations etc. Playing as the character, I just find different ways to rationalise it, which casts the character and their place in the story in a somewhat different light, even if you choose exactly the same dialogue.

Its an RPG. Use your imagination!

Last edited:
You get exp for non lethal takedowns, then a bit more exp for going back through the area after mission completion doing fatal coup de graces and finishing them off.

I'm a bad person. yeah. I know ;)
I really DISLIKE that this game makes me feel compelled to play executioner by incentivizing kills over defeats. For several reasons:

1. It is a repetitive game mechanic and a needless time sink that comes in addition to excessive looting.
2. If you play a "non-psychopath", hesitant to murder defeated combatants in agony, you are severely punished. This indicates there is no penal system in Night City and there is only Judge Dredd-esque style of justice - but free for all to mete out.
3. The hypocrisy of shying away from nude/sexual themes while fully indulging in this level of violence. Having The Mox, a militant faction designed to protect functionally non-existent sex-workers against abuse, adds a narrative dissonance to the moral one. Albeit this could just as well be a result of Cyberpunks rushed release and cut content.

Cut content for sure, possibly even cut ending.

Most replies in the game - if you pay attention - is being cold/callous/non-empathetic Vs being empathetic and caring about people. The Devil ending where they (Spoilers)
test you - they specifically test your empathy

It is easy to deduce from this, and the implementation of non-lethal even being there, that they had big plans with this that didn't actually go anywhere. I suspect that one of the cut endings, in regards to empathy, is the possibility of you becoming
the new Adam Smasher operative for Arasaka if you are low-empathy, low-Johnny rating

I like it where in "Gun for Hire" gigs, if you incap the target instead of kill, the fixer'll send some wheels to pick the target up.

Wondered the same thing and posted the same question a few days ago. General consensus is that it's there just for RP purposes. Game itself doesn't care how you finish a mission--just that you finish it. :disapprove: Very disappointing.

Just FYI, it's not limited to just smart guns. Hostiles magically survive headshots from any weapon if you 1.) install the cyberware, or 2.) install the similar mod on the gun, any gun.
Rubber bullets!

Oh and to reanswer the OP:

The game gives you a fair amount of options for playing non-lethal, flashbangs, non-lethal takedowns, you can even get cyberware to make your smartguns non-lethal. But what is the point? It doesn't seem to affect anything in the story outside of maybe one fight and it doesn't seem to affect anyone's opinions about V. Just something I noticed today. It might be cool if there were things that got affected by whether or not V actually gives a damn about human life.

Roleplaying.

Wondered the same thing and posted the same question a few days ago. General consensus is that it's there just for RP purposes. Game itself doesn't care how you finish a mission--just that you finish it. :disapprove: Very disappointing.

Just FYI, it's not limited to just smart guns. Hostiles magically survive headshots from any weapon if you 1.) install the cyberware, or 2.) install the similar mod on the gun, any gun.
hell even putting a silencer doesn't kill most people.

Oh and to reanswer the OP:

Roleplaying.

I do like having the choice between just leaving them unconscious and flat out killing people for being in my way. It adds a lot to the immersion for me, and I know it's an illusion of choice, but tbh it's a video game, so *shrug emoji*

I do like having the choice between just leaving them unconscious and flat out killing people for being in my way. It adds a lot to the immersion for me, and I know it's an illusion of choice, but tbh it's a video game, so *shrug emoji*

It also changes outcomes and options for gigs and side quests something fierce.

As well as either pissing fixers off or making them laugh.

I had wondered this as well. Literally started the game non lethal for a long time thinking it would lead to something. By the trime I had hit level 20, I had given up on it and was just going full death mode.

My guess is the non lethal stuff was for all cyberpsycho missions, cuz your not suppose to kill em.

But CDPR probably figured out it was too much of a hassle or complicated to use it on certain missions and dropped the need for it.

Don't know why but, before starting Stadium Love (gun contest) missions.. I never killed any 6th gang member, instead I just do non lethal attack on all of them. And what? The gang didn't attack me after I won the contest. On my previous playthrough, I killed every 6th gang. And the gang recognized me and started being hostile after winning a gun contest.. also if you did a non lethal kill on the mini blue star quest (on gps), it will keep reappearing on next day too

Last edited:
i always wondered how would non-lethal cyberware would work? i mean you point a big revolver at someones head but your bullet doesnt kill the dude lol? does it make the bullet explode before impact as too KNOCK out the dude or do your bullets turn to rubber :ROFLMAO:

i always wondered how would non-lethal cyberware would work? i mean you point a big revolver at someones head but your bullet doesnt kill the dude lol? does it make the bullet explode before impact as too KNOCK out the dude or do your bullets turn to rubber :ROFLMAO:
Maybe you have to "use your imagination" a little bit :)
Like how it's possible to extract the consciousness and memories of people with a complex program and simply "store" them on a chip or in a dataset fortress. And how you can replace your arms (throw your original ones in a trash) and getting out from the ripperdoc a little bit later without any problem.
It still a game :)

Top Bottom