What is wrong with level of detail?

+
What is wrong with level of detail?

So I got my 980 Ti now and maxed everything out. Now I'm running patch 1.07 and I'm noticing I never really noticed before...

Everything changed LOD so obvious, like the roof of a house only 40 meters ahead of me. Faces... Ground.. Bloody everything?!

Is there a tweak I can make somewhere, in some file that removes this so things actually look good all around? This is bothering me so much, I have the power, but I'm not getting to use it.

what exactly is wrong with the roof of the house 40 meters away? or the faces or ground or etc?

People post the letters "LOD" a lot, and I think they mostly agree that it stands for "level of detail", but beyond that there is very little concensus on what it actually is, so its hard to know what you are saying just based on that.

Well, looking at the roof from longer than that away, they're just sandcoloured plates... then, one step closer, the whole things change dramatically and gets detail, closer yet it changes again to what actually looks like a roof.

Faces are blurry until you get close enough. Shadows vanish... Things like that.

If that happens a lot then its not normal... did you properly uninstall and clean your registry for the new card? make sure you had enough power, all that?

Sry, mate. This game is like that since release. Nothing you can do for now. Maybe this will be changed after we have hands on redkit2. When that would be? Redkit was released 2 years after witcher2. They said redkit2 will be released sooner than that.

One can hope. I find it strange that you can't tweak that using the ini files, when you can tweak range of shadows, foliage and such things.

DXMG, yeah this is a fresh Windows 10 install, Clean drivers and computer in perfect order. I mean I can play just fine, I've finished it once on my 760 card, but now want to replay it using as good graphics as I can since I got a new card. The 980 Ti, it certainly wasn't cheap so kind of want to make use of it :)

It's very noticable how just one step forward the roofs (in this example) suddenly transforms when it's so close to you. It's not subtle at all.

I'm pretty sure it's to do with the streaming technology so we can have a load screen free world. It's gone up and down with the patches so I think it's something they're working on improving. But I think unfortunately the PC users are feeling the effects of optimization for consoles with this.

I'm pretty sure it's to do with the streaming technology so we can have a load screen free world. It's gone up and down with the patches so I think it's something they're working on improving. But I think unfortunately the PC users are feeling the effects of optimization for consoles with this.

I really don't know about it being a console optimization issue. I mean you can actually tweak it so you see trees properly from half the map away. Maybe they already did that, and are now working on the rest of the things. I hope so atleast.

What I meant was the system that only streams what you can see, so I think they might be having issues with more detailed objects and particularly in cities where lots of things would be loaded and unloaded. My guess is they're trying everything thing they can to squeeze a few more frames out of the console versions, including when and what is loaded. Could be totally wrong though.

It is odd though when you can see the lights, and swaying trees by Oxenfort from Novigrad, but sometimes that guy 5m away has a blurry face.

Top Bottom