I know, but even with 80% chances of success I still have 20% chanches of "sorry man, wrong number from RNG". I understand that it's the only viable way in PnP, but videogames don't have the same limits and let us "really" interact with the fictional world. They are not forced to be a simple video representation of what you would see in a PnP (they can be, of course), they can put you in that situation.If you think about it those character creation decisions and the skills you elect to improve can (and should) have a significant effect on those RNG rolls everyone loves to hate on.
In CP2020 each stat point and skill level is about a 5% increase, and should you have a maxed stat (10) and skill (10); unlikely but possible; you have a 100% chance to succeed at all but the most difficult skill checks.
From a philosophical (and professional) point of view I refuse the existence of luck. There's always a reason way things happen (evident or not), even when rolling dice, the number you get depends from the position the dice started, the strenght you applied, the spin, the surface where it lands... It's not "luck", it's the sum of all these factors that, in theory, you can predict and act against (?) them. The same is with diseases. Cancer is not unluck, it depends on your DNA, your habits, the environment... RNG on the contrary is just pure luck because it was designed that way.
As a chemist, if I make a mistake, I can go from "whatever, I can fix the reaction" to "sorry if I killed everyone in the building and polluted the city's surroundings for the next 10 years", but it doesn't depend on luck. I need to check the equipment, I need to check that the reactants are ok, I need to do proper calculations and be sure my chemistry is correct.
I.e. if IRL I had to lockpick something like in a videogame (no idea how to do it), I'd need to check equipment (picklock? google translate gives me "jimmy", really? ), know the type of lock and I'd need some skill that depends on my experience and (I guess) my natural predisposition, a "stat": lockpicking. But there's no luck in that.
Of course this can't be applied in a PnP game because it'd become too complex both for the master and the players to keep track of all the possible variables, so you roll a dice and on the basis of your stat vs the lock the master decides if you open it or not. A videogame has more options, it can use RNG, but it can also make you do that in a way that it's up to you as a player to get experience (the more you try the more you improve, like everything in life), to fail or to succeed. Of course you don't have all those details you have in real life (checking equipment, real knowledge of the field), but you're actually role-playing a character in a fictional world. At the same time videogames have the limit of imagination compared to PnP since it's a fixed world and usually you can't find any ploy to solve problems that is not in the game engine (i.e. you can't hide under a car if the game doesn't let you crawl under it).
Now, I understand that someone who has played and enjoyed PnP games for all his life don't see any problem in the luck deciding your fate and see it as an excellent compromise in games (AND IT'S ABSOLUTELY FAIR), but I believe that it's not a realistic portrait of life since all the possible variables are included in a single number decided by a dice and you really can't act against it. Worst thing is that you can reload and next time the result can be different like you moved to a parallel dimension where you managed to open that door. You shouldn't, that's true, but you know that's the case and it screams "unlucky bastard" laughing at you.