What is your biggest fear regarding CP2077

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
They're already confirmed the numbers popping up in the HUD to be optional. I don't think we'll have to live with one way or the other.
I know, it was the same in TW3. I'm talking about a level making an enemy impossible to be killed, a level 30 velen sword being much better than a level 12 velen sword that looks the same or a subdermal grip increasing weapons' stopping power.
When it comes to dialogues they hide numbers behind it (immersive), but then you have a number on enemy's head that tells you if you can kill him or not even though it looks exactly the same to the 6 enemies you killed 5 minutes before (immersion breaking). And you can't disable them from the options, otherwise the game becomes unplayable since you start a mission, find a random wolf and think "oh, it's no issue for the master witcher geralt, I mean, it's a wolf like many others", but it's actually 10 levels higher than you for reasons and he literally destroy geralt and his heavy armor with one bite, being extremely resistant to swords. For reasons.

I know, it was the same in TW3. I'm talking about a level making an enemy impossible to be killed, a level 30 velen sword being much better than a level 12 velen sword that looks the same or a subdermal grip increasing weapons' stopping power.
Ah. I agree about levels over enemies (though I think those were optional in TW3 too). RE weapons, I actually didn't see levels for the weapons in the demo.

Ah. I agree about levels over enemies (though I think those were optional in TW3 too). RE weapons, I actually didn't see levels for the weapons in the demo.
I was talking about TW3, levels may have been optional in the HUD, but playing without them put you in weird situations where you didn't know if you coul kill that specific bandit or complete that quest, since the game was built in a way you needed those information to play. Remeber hattori's quest, you accept it once you are at level 10ish, he goes to the docks and if you fllow him wihout checking the requested level you end up destroyed by level 26 bandits.

In the demo there are no levels for weapons, but you have levels for clothes:

1551715401648.png

Definetely work in progress (or you have levels for both or neither of them, I guess), but levels for gear is surely an option they're considering. Common/uncommon/epic is not very different though, if that makes 2 equal weapons different only in numbers (epic kang tao type 41 > common kang tao type 41).

Definetely work in progress (or you have levels for both or neither of them, I guess), but levels for gear is surely an option they're considering. Common/uncommon/epic is not very different though, if that makes 2 equal weapons different only in numbers (epic kang tao type 41 > common kang tao type 41).
But I don't think it has to be both. I could see giving armor different ratings (called level or whatever else), but having guns just do the damage they do. I definitely could see it being either both or neither, but I don't think it has to be that way to work.

But I don't think it has to be both. I could see giving armor different ratings (called level or whatever else), but having guns just do the damage they do. I definitely could see it being either both or neither, but I don't think it has to be that way to work.

Ah...that makes sense. Especially if there is no character level, only skills, I can have each weapon be uniquely suited to certain playstyles, rather than having levels of weapons that make earlier versions obsolete. Instead, players choose the weapon they like the most and worry about resisting damage instead of causing more.

That would actually create a pretty intense system. It means I have to be really good with my chosen weapon, while armor, at best, gives me a few additional chances to make a mistake. With that system, even a basic pistol or truncheon would still be deadly right up to the endgame.

Especially if there is no character level, only skills, I can have each weapon be uniquely suited to certain playstyles, rather than having levels of weapons that make earlier versions obsolete.
Of I think the character will have a level. We can see at least in the demo that there are levels for Street Cred. Also it's been confirmed there is traditional XP ... so I would assume (there's that word) it means levels too. There was a Twitter Post Regarding Stats & Skills that indicated stats would be impacted by levels (and cyber-ware), skills by successfully performing actions, and perks which can be obtained with either XP or Street Cred.

Ah...that makes sense. Especially if there is no character level, only skills, I can have each weapon be uniquely suited to certain playstyles, rather than having levels of weapons that make earlier versions obsolete. Instead, players choose the weapon they like the most and worry about resisting damage instead of causing more.

That would actually create a pretty intense system. It means I have to be really good with my chosen weapon, while armor, at best, gives me a few additional chances to make a mistake. With that system, even a basic pistol or truncheon would still be deadly right up to the endgame.
Which is exactly what I'd like to have in the game, a new type of RPG, its child had with immersive sim. Problem is we are not getting it with CP2077, almost for sure.

Maybe dying lights 2 will deliver, they have avellone with them now.

Let's see if they become my favorite polish software hhouse.
Post automatically merged:

Of I think the character will have a level. We can see at least in the demo that there are levels for Street Cred. Also it's been confirmed there is traditional XP ... so I would assume (there's that word) it means levels too. There was a Twitter Post Regarding Stats & Skills that indicated stats would be impacted by levels (and cyber-ware), skills by successfully performing actions, and perks which can be obtained with either XP or Street Cred.
We have classic levels together with street creds. Top left corner in the screenshot in my previous post.

Work in progress of course, but still...

My biggest fear is that RPG elements and dialogue will feel boring with long cutscenes and talking and that way will take away from fun of exploration and combat gameplay.

My biggest fear is that, with the Gwent layoffs, and the potential for an industry crash, that Cyberpunk won't get released.

I fear that RPG systems and their effects on gameplay (combat, social, utilities, world interactivity...) are left minuscule, cheap and ineffective. A set of features that on paper might look like something, but in practice are bland, weak and so streamlined they might as well not be there at all.

I just want a game that can hook me like Fallout New Vegas once did with its interesting characters, setting and weapons.

1. Bland game that fails to make me invested in it.
Highly unlikely to happen, but its a fear. There have been games that almost everyone else seemd to be hyping, but I didn't get excited about. Like pillars of eternity for example.. Having a detailed open world, fun and immersive game mechanics and charismatic characters counters this. I use Assassin's creed odyssey as an example of things done right, as its one of my most favorite games ever. Also an example that even with 'grindy' progression you can have a fun game, if the world is detailed, beautiful and interesting enough. Masterpieces comprise of small details.

"Direct hit! ... No effect."
-Worf, every other episode of ST:NG
2. Too much bullet-sponginess.
Certain amount is expected since the characters are likely to be cyborgs with enhanced skin and whatnot, but too much can become jarring and immersionbreaking. Particularly easy to happen with boss characters. This is an unfortunate side-effect of having a RPG style character progression, and is related to combat system also. Being one-shotted is un-fun, and enemies have to pose a threat, but emptying entire clips for no effect breaks the immersion, unless the target is like a tank. Perhaps an answer might be to have extra durability act like armor, that gets removed as character is shot at. Ie. Its of limited supply rather than a flat -% off of all incoming damage. Then it might need to be fixed/repaired afterwards.

3. Voice actors being bland
Voice actors can make or break a game imo. They are rarely blamed for it, but poor voiceacting can make a video RPG uninteresting. I believe hefty amount of AC:Odyssey's awesomeness is behind Kassandra's voice actor, who with small nuances puts personality into everything the character says. On the other hand, Adam Jensen's monotone grunting with hoarse voice fails to impress me. If you can choose the gender of the main character, you at least get two shots at success. Chances are that one of the two voice actors doesn't suck.

4. Character not feeling special enough
In Deus Ex: MD, practically every passer-by has cybernetics. This in my opinion undermines how 'special' Adam Jensen's own cybernetics are. If everyone is like Jensen, whats the point? It's also immersion breaking when you start to question why did those people get cybernetics in the first place? For cyberpunk protagonists, usually something happened to their body that forced a synthetic body to save them from dying (Robocop, Adam Jensen). But why would a normal 8-to-5 person get invasive body surgery? Some stuff like datajacks are believable, but not limb replacement.. In Cyberpunk 2077 the ones who have cybernetics probably have it in order to be more combat-worthy, and thats fine.

5. Too much railroading.
I think open-world, multiple story choice ARPGs are the ultimate game. They are also super difficult to pull off successfully. I hope CDPR delivers in this sense. One thing that easily gets let by the wayside is the story, and whether it has branches. I love the idea of character choices making a difference in the world, but obviously the amount of resources invested for something that player may not even utilize can grow exponentially. One can still hope.

Street cred afaik is like reputation, it opens up new contacts and missions to you?

Street cred afaik is like reputation, it opens up new contacts and missions to you?

It does open up new contacts, missions and shops. It's more like a secondary progression mechanic next to xp. There's no reputation mechanic, not like in the traditional sense. There will be people that remember your actions and have consequences but nothing like a reputation meter.

It does open up new contacts, missions and shops. It's more like a secondary progression mechanic next to xp. There's no reputation mechanic, not like in the traditional sense. There will be people that remember your actions and have consequences but nothing like a reputation meter.

Well, as I wrote, if street cred does that, it functions exactly like reputation mechanic in MMOs such as WoW. You do missions, you get reputation, it unlocks further missions. This is NOT inherently bad, no need to get defensive about it. The difference to level-restricted stuff is just that reputation affects specific factions and is unrelated to your character level.

It's not faction specific, it's tied to your character and from what was said so far, it's pretty much global.

From the FAQ thread
You will get Street Cred by completing side missions and jobs in the city. Street Cred is your repuation and will affect reactions and unlock quests and gear from NPCs. (3)

Regarding Street Cred, it would be cool if it indeed affected NPC behaviour. For example, in the early game, when you are a nobody, a group of street punks might want to try to bully you and maybe rob you. Later in the game, when you are a known bad-ass mercenary, they might switch to the other side of the street when you walk past :) (an idea about street cred). This would be supercool and not something thats common in video RPGs.

I have no peculiar fear, I just want a good cyberpunk RPG. I have high hopes, but if the game is juste as good as The Witcher 3 and its expansions I would be very happy. My only worry concerns weapon feedback, I really want to feel powerful when I use the katana or the mantis blade. I was a bit underwhelmed by guns in the demo feedback-wise, they looked visually interesting but not really punchy and rather dull. I hope CDPR will sort it out but I don't worry too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom