What is your biggest fear regarding CP2077

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the part I'm referring too isn't Angry Joe's opinions, but rather Kyle Rowley's statements about that specific mission. That it's linear and combat focused intentionally as a near the beginning of the game mission. Other types of options become more available as the systems are learned by the player.

Well, there we go. If that happens to be the case, I'd reign it in some. I certainly hope there's a non-violent path through that part. As for the violent path -- I'd make it tighter and much, much more scary.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a non-violent approach to the Maelstrom situation.

You warn them that the chip comes from Militech. They'll be appreciative, and put the chip in a isolation thingy and find the bug. They'll get their cash, and you walk out scot-free (though apparently they insult your jacket) with the bot. When you go back to meet Meredith, she's gone and replaced by the guy she captured earlier, who isn't hostile towards you.

In the video they clearly claimed that you have several approaches:

1) you meet meredith
2) you don't meet meredith and go directly to the factory

3) you get in the factory killing everyone
4) the one shown (first you speak, then you kill)
5) you speak with royce and pay with your own money (keep meredith's money for yourself if you met her)
6) you speak with royce and betray meredith (shown only to the press)

according to your stats:

7) you get out hacking the door
8) you get out fixing that panel (shown)

For the combat section, they said you are not supposed to be that strong at that point of the story line and they unlocked high-level abilities to show more stuff.

For the mission itself, keep in mind that the quest they showed at E3 for TW3 was not in the final game AT ALL and was shown less than 1 year before release. So we should look at that demo as a way to see as much as possible of the game and not as a real section of the game.

I'm not scared about these things, game mechanics scare me most since they were the weak part of TW3 and seem to be transferred almost 1:1 in CP2077.

It`s funny looking back at that demo , it`s got a little of the area where you got the Godling Johnny voice back . Maybe a little of the last quest a White Orchard too .

There is a non-violent approach to the Maelstrom situation.

You warn them that the chip comes from Militech. They'll be appreciative, and put the chip in a isolation thingy and find the bug. They'll get their cash, and you walk out scot-free (though apparently they insult your jacket) with the bot. When you go back to meet Meredith, she's gone and replaced by the guy she captured earlier, who isn't hostile towards you.
Yeah, I think the part he's refering to about being linear is the first part with the scavengers, I'm not sure people are actually finding the quote I'm talking about in the video, so I'll transcribe it.

Kyle Rowley: I just saw the flow through the demo, and in the opening sequence it's quite linear, because it's the very start of the game, and we wanted to really bring that kind of epic combat feel and have making sure it feels dynamic and everything like that. But as you're progressing through the game, we really want to open that up. So basically ... and it's the same thing like we did in the Witcher 3, where we had the opening section where you can't ... where you teach the player to tame (?) the game. And we're kind of doing the same thing here, where it's more linear and as you unlock more and more abilities, additional pathways to the level design open up as well. We dont want to just have linear level design, we want to have things like choices. I want to approach it this way, I want to hack this guy ... (interrupted)

Angry Joe: Exactly, because you've never gone on that particular path, and that was in your previous games, so I know and I believe in you.
Sigh. I really wish Kyle's thought hadn't been stepped on, but the point seems very clear that the mission with the scavengers (the opening sequence) is designed to be a linear combat encounter. I would guess (there's that word), that after we flash forward in the demo the three days, we'll be in a spot where in the actual game we know more of the other systems. And it's clear we're just learning about Ripperdocs with Victor, so it's still early on, but in the second part of the demo with Maelstrom, there are more options within the mission to handle it by means other than combat ... which it's been said are available.

Last edited:
Sigh. I really wish Kyle's thought hadn't been stepped on, but the point seems very clear that the mission with the scavengers (the opening sequence) is designed to be a linear combat encounter. I would guess (there's that word), that after we flash forward the three days, we'll be in a spot where in the actual game we know more of the other systems. And it's clear we're just learning about Ripperdocs with Victor, so it's still early on, but in the second part of the demo with Maelstrom, there are more options within the mission to handle it by means other than combat ... which it's been said are available.
Options are good!

That said, it seems the Maelstrom mission is your first non-intro/tutorial mission.
Now it may well be that if you intend to fight them you'll need to delay this mission till you gain some skills, but I get the impression they leveled up V primarily to demonstrate later game abilities, not because those abilities were necessary to wipe out Maelstrom.

Never like when Developer show gameplay, and then they say we now going to unlock or level up character to high level to show combat and stuff.

And then they just destroy any opponent like it is nothing, and enemy can't even land a hit on you.

Never like when Developer show gameplay, and then they say we now going to unlock or level up character to high level to show combat and stuff.

And then they just destroy any opponent like it is nothing, and enemy can't even land a hit on you.
I'm not a fan of it either, mostly because I think players actually don't mind challenging (but not impossible) gameplay, but I understand it. The tone of the gameplay demo wasn't really intended for us, it was intended to get people's attention. By "people," I mean "people who haven't been excitedly waiting for the game for 6+ years."

Sweet cyberware, acrobatic maneuvers, and lots of slidey-slidey, shooty bang bang definitely accomplishes that goal. Hell, I don't care for shooters and I was excited by what I saw (further thought sparked some concerns that I laid out above, of course).

Remember the Witcher 3's gameplay demos? Don't get me wrong, the game's got a lot of combat (I actually think 2077 might have potential for less of that due to different approach to level design), but there's also a lot more to it than just combat. You wouldn't really get that impression from watching the clips released before launch.

One of my biggest fears:

or "quoting" TW3, this:

Last edited:
Yeah, I think the part he's refering to about being linear is the first part with the scavengers, I'm not sure people are actually finding the quote I'm talking about in the video, so I'll transcribe it.

Sigh. I really wish Kyle's thought hadn't been stepped on, but the point seems very clear that the mission with the scavengers (the opening sequence) is designed to be a linear combat encounter. I would guess (there's that word), that after we flash forward in the demo the three days, we'll be in a spot where in the actual game we know more of the other systems. And it's clear we're just learning about Ripperdocs with Victor, so it's still early on, but in the second part of the demo with Maelstrom, there are more options within the mission to handle it by means other than combat ... which it's been said are available.

It was a shame i guess Angry is a fan but he kept talking over his guests instead of letting them tell us their opinions .
Post automatically merged:

One of my biggest fears:

or "quoting" TW3, this:

Totally agree by the time i got the sword it was useless to me . Nothing worse in a game then getting some you beauty item that's way below everything you all ready have .

It was a shame i guess Angry is a fan but he kept talking over his guests instead of letting them tell us their opinions .
Post automatically merged:

Totally agree by the time i got the sword it was useless to me . Nothing worse in a game then getting some you beauty item that's way below everything you all ready have .
Yeah, I love Angry Joe, but it annoys me how he interviews. He has so much passion when doing it -- which is AWESOME -- and he clearly knows his subject matter, but I wish he'd keep quiet a bit more.

With that said... The opposite can be an issue too. If you let your guests talk too much, they sometimes start going back to PR lingo where they repeat the same marketing buzzwords and repeat what the game is over and over. Sometimes it's better to keep them on their toes.

Last edited:
Less loot but a valuable one. That's the solution. Dark souls does it perfectly: a limited number of objects, each one unique and perfectly characterized.

Give me 30 unique weapons (with mods) and 30 unique "armor sets" and I'm happy. No looter shooter feeling.

Last edited:
Sweet cyberware, acrobatic maneuvers, and lots of slidey-slidey, shooty bang bang definitely accomplishes that goal. Hell, I don't care for shooters and I was excited by what I saw (further thought sparked some concerns that I laid out above, of course).
As a shooter it looks like a GREAT game.
Just not the game I was hoping for.
If CDPR decides to adopt my dual-mode suggestion then everyone gets what they want.

TL;DR if you don't like to read a bit of text: Me being a bit nitpicky or disappointed about apparent lack of hard or soft faction affiliations (as it is indicated, for the rest, we'll have to check out the final game) and then wondering on how good or bad modding support will be and that strong modding support will only help all, from players to the company or the product reception, more specifically

-----

It's ironic as people talk about core gameplay mechanics, loot (or gear) quality or purpose, a focus on shooter or perhaps more so RPG elements and so on (which is all fine and understandable) and I sit here and I think still my biggest and kind of confirmed fear is lack of faction affiliation in the sense of kind of joining them. And, in a wider sense, lack of police - even if sub unit affiliation like MAX-TAC if not NCPD as a whole - affiliation in the sense of de-facto joining. That is something I was hoping for before and looking forward to.

This is indeed my biggest fear, issue or topic I can think of even if it would be among the trivial ones for many. I guess that is because I'm still somewhat branded by the first trailer of the game that was once shown in like 2012 or 2013 that heavily gave that urban gritty vibe and the implication of the player being somehow involved with or in MAX-TAC. Of course, if that gets scrapped, due to changed visions and whatnot, okay. You can't do it all.

Before anyone gets me potentially wrong, I'm not sitting here thinking this game is spoiled for me now. In fact, the opposite. The reason I have this as my biggest concern instead of other things is ... because what I saw and heard so far convinces me. I think gameplay will be fine, the world convinces me, the story outlook, I can deal with. I'm actually so convinced that the only thing left worrying about is what I described above. I guess I was always a fan of being able to belong to different factions in such games and genres, with a bit of a choice. And, if possible, police related gameplay in a more official sense rather than doing bounty hunting, etc. Yeah, I'm one of the many people who installed the extensive all-in-one cop mods for the GTA games and loved them, even if you get eventually bored of it.

I suppose I'll get over it. As for how close we can get to factions in the end, we'll have to see. Maybe there will be a suitable approach to this later. If there is "soft joining" for some factions and groups, gangs and units, I'll also be happy. And even if not, the game footage so far and V as a character also convinced me, so even if I get nothing of what I was hoping for it'll be an awesome game.

I simply like the whole genre or world and setting.

---------

As for modding

But alas, regardless of this, I think now I have a new fear: Lack of (good) mod support. I tend to be spoiled because I played many of the more modern Elder Scrolls and Fallout games that always came with strong modding support. I never played the Witcher games and have no clue how modding support was prior, but I'd argue or assume it wasn't comparable to the level of modding possibilities or support like in the aforementioned games.

It is my belief that CDPR should aim for a strong or very solid modding support somewhat akin to those games or the GTA series because it will hugely improve product reception and allow players to get a lot more out of it. Just as not just I but many others praise the aforementioned games because of their modding support, people might later praise Cyberpunk 2077 for a solid or excellent modding support that allows players to customize.

For me, good modding might be a way to add player or joinable factions with certain tasks or ways to earn money in those factions to the game, for example. There might be a cop mod like those from GTA eventually, giving many players what they originally perhaps imagined or simply something to try out. More clothing, gear, new areas and a lot more.

Perhaps it is a lot more work to lay a good modding foundation, and no one should expect a "modding kit" right from the start with game release. But I can only suggest to consider this in the company, it will please many players who will keep playing the game far longer than without good modding support, if you ask me.

At least that is the case for me. All those Fallout and TES games from Bethesda I played a) long and b) repeatedly only due to mods. I started almost each of the newer ones at least 2-3 times in the sense of new playthroughs over a longer period of time. Some could argue the base games were mediocre or okay-ish and that you kind of needed modding to branch out.

But what if you had an awesome and modern game like Cyberpunk 2077 from the start or as "vanilla" version and THEN added very good modding support on top? Imagine the result.

Alas, I rest my case and put my hopes on good modding support that allows players or modders to not just switch textures, but add new quests and areas, clothing, gear, weapons, edit or add NPCs, perhaps new factions, edit game values, weather and more.

I guess that is because I'm still somewhat branded by the first trailer of the game that was once shown in like 2012 or 2013 that heavily gave that urban gritty vibe and the implication of the player being somehow involved with or in MAX-TAC. Of course, if that gets scrapped, due to changed visions and whatnot, okay. You can't do it all.
No clue why anyone would expect CP2077 to center around the player being part of MaxTac based on the 2013 reveal. It showed us how CDPR intended to portray Night City graphically, that cyberpsychosis was an issue, that a full borg conversion was beyond the ability of rank-and-file law enforcement (and by implication most gangs, Corp Security, and Edgerunners) to handle yet specialized assets capable of dealing with full borgs existed.

So if the 2013 reveal had centered around a Ripper Doc or a gang out for a night on the town people would expect to be a Ripper Doc or member of that specific gang in CP2077?

But alas, regardless of this, I think now I have a new fear: Lack of (good) mod support.
People forget game developers use LOTS of licensed software to create games. They can't just give that away to players. So creating a good mod development kit is something you have to focus on from the start and custom build your own dev tools so you can legally include them in the kit.

Not easy, and very time consuming.

I did read quite a few newer postings on reddit, I believe, where the topic was playable cops and that people stated that the trailer gave them a strong implication of the player getting involved with NCPD. This was in reference to the new style of the game ruling out joinable factions, to give context. Perhaps older dev quotes may have also brought in factions, but that is a guess to explain it further for some, I'd have to check if this assumption has merit.

Your points are not off, but at the same time one could potentially take some sort of (player) law enforcement involvement out of the trailer, with the perp joining MAX-TAC n' all. One could (doesn't have to, but could) also assume some kind of possible protagonist to be shown in the trailer and since it's basically just dead people and cops it is another conclusion people could reach.

Just saying that one can get to the assumption, not minding potentially old dev quotes referring to the trailer and ruling that assumption out, if there are any.

========

As for modding, perhaps a fair point, but that isn't to say many would expect this right off the bat with game release, but more so further down the line. I guess it is easy as consumer to forget how tricky things can be.

But alas, I think it is something to possibly aim for in the long run.

I don't think the shooter mechanics will "intrude" anywhere near as much as many may fear.

They will every time it’s time for violence and guns are drawn.

It already irked me in the nu-Deus Ex games that the only way to play and have fun was through stealth, otherwise it would turn into a boring shooter. And those games are orders of magnitude smaller than what we’re supposedly getting here.

I have complete trust in CDPR ability to pull this off, however I was thinking the same about rockstar and rdr2 and even though it's great, it was a bit off putting when I noticed the law reaction times are crazy fast and some other robbery mechanics are done poorly like when they somehow know your identity straight away even if nobody has seen your face which is the whole point to wear a mask, and therefore you get a bounty often bigger than your take, or when you rob a train in the middle of nowhere and you cant even locate a safe before 20 lawmen show up somehow - and this is a BIG part of rdr2 I was super excited about, but in the end it turned out I sort of had to find other things to do, cause robbery is often bad and not fun.

So my fear would be exactly this - lack of logic about certain aspect of the game and a big gameplay mechanic like netrunning done in such a way that it would be annoying or just shallow. Then again, as I said - I know these guys are on course to deliver something truly epic.

This is the only title ever that I will actually pay for whatever deluxe edition they gonna come up with, even £200 ill pay for it like its nothing, and Im usually doing a lot of research b4 I pay £50 for a game lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom