What is your biggest fear regarding CP2077

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
If CDPR decides to adopt my dual-mode suggestion then everyone gets what they want.

Or one of my multiple brilliant suggestions. Yeah!

Seriously, though. If they at least took heed of the concerns all the ideas from the years past, yours, mine, all the others of the same set of mind, have tried to solve, there might be some hope there yet.

And yet... that is ”just” combat. There’s plenty more out there to ”fix”, like social skills/stats, the implementation of skillchecks in the world objects, etc.

Or one of my multiple brilliant suggestions. Yeah!

Seriously, though. If they at least took heed of the concerns all the ideas from the years past, yours, mine, all the others of the same set of mind, have tried to solve, there might be some hope there yet.

And yet... that is ”just” combat. There’s plenty more out there to ”fix”, like social skills/stats, the implementation of skillchecks in the world objects, etc.
But if CDPR incorporates RPG style combat mechanics into CP2077 they'll pretty much by necessity have to incorporate character based skill checks. When it comes down to it the most egregious departure from RPG mechanics is the FPS combat.

Besides, at least some level of character based skill checks are already implemented, we saw examples in the 2013 press demo (where V hotwires a junction box, that required a certain level of Tech skill).

When it comes down to it the most egregious departure from RPG mechanics is the FPS combat.

This is true, but is also why I hope for lots of non-combat options. Most gamers enjoy self-based combat as opposed to watch-it-happen RPG stat combat. Which is understandable!

I myself enjoy a nice mix of the two. Just watching my character hit things a la Isometric TB is boring, but so is missing constantly because I can't mouse over the moving pixel-cluster accurately enough.

Oh, except in Deadfire where I watched my Monk punch people very hard and giggled a lot. Not thrilling, per se, but highly amusing.

But if CDPR incorporates RPG style combat mechanics into CP2077 they'll pretty much by necessity have to incorporate character based skill checks. When it comes down to it the most egregious departure from RPG mechanics is the FPS combat.

Sure. Checks within combat.

Besides, at least some level of character based skill checks are already implemented, we saw examples in the 2013 press demo (where V hotwires a junction box, that required a certain level of Tech skill).

Implemented in the cheapest and least interesting way of gating possible.... Click-to-succeed. (And yet, people seem to love it and see no alternatives.) The only way to make them even more forgettable and uninteresting but also more fluid and unintrusive, would be to make things succeed automatically by just walking past them close enough so you don't even need to click anything (why bother the player and the game flow with such trivialities; it's a yes/no check anyway so it either works or it doesn't as you walk past).

I'd like to see mini-games affected by stats (higher hacking stat means more attempts or easier mini-game), but if not possible, everything that doesn't include a random number generator is fine with me, hard checks included.

Implemented in the cheapest and least interesting way of gating possible.... Click-to-succeed. (And yet, people seem to love it and see no alternatives.) The only way to make them even more forgettable and uninteresting but also more fluid and unintrusive, would be to make things succeed automatically by just walking past them close enough so you don't even need to click anything (why bother the player and the game flow with such trivialities; it's a yes/no check anyway so it either works or it doesn't as you walk past).
When you come down to it ALL skill use in any game is "click to succeed". Even an FPS where you have to chase a pixel, you click in the right place at the right time you succeed, if not you fail.

I'd like to see mini-games affected by stats (higher hacking stat means more attempts or easier mini-game), but if not possible, everything that doesn't include a random number generator is fine with me, hard checks included.
I, for one, detest minigames, like Skyrim/Fallouts lockpicking one. If that's the alternative to "click to succeed" I'll take the latter.

Click-to-succeed isn't perfect, but what are the alternatives? Repeat-till-succeed?

It's your business how long you wish to spend on it, and yours alone.

And if there were hindrance mechanics to discourage save-exploiting like attempts taking time per difficulty against your characters current talent and a crit fail chance that would prevent further attempts... if you bypass those rules through savescumming... it is once again your business how long you're willing to invest on it.

Which ever way it goes, it is still better as a system as reflects your characterbuild in a much more organic (and less gamey) way and the reward of succeeding feels better when you know you could (or did a couple of times already) fail at it.

If you know the result beforehand (in a click-for-success), you won't ever fail because you will never try at anything, and success is forgettable as it is granted. It's a very gamey system that promotes less organic approach, and that kinda goes against the whole "learn by doing" method CDPR is using. It results in either you hunting down and grinding the succesful checks to progress your character, or the game being levelscaled so that if you have followed a certain kind of archetype, you'll always be served passable checks (lest you get stuck by design) which defeats the whole purpose of the system.

In any case... I know what most people want from this (RNG is the devil). Just saying my bit (once again) on it.

When you come down to it ALL skill use in any game is "click to succeed". Even an FPS where you have to chase a pixel, you click in the right place at the right time you succeed, if not you fail.

The difference being that during a failure (or success), unlike in FPS' or pixelhunting (or with minigames), it is not you who is checked but the character you've built for purpose. Like in an RPG.

Last edited:
We already agreed to disagree on this but with an RNG I don't feel like succeeding, just lucky enough. :/ doesn't it? Just curious.

It feels like the decisions I made with character creation are worthy and not affected by completely random luck. Anyway, fair enough. To each its own, we have no power in cdpr anyway.

It's your business how long you wish to spend on it, and yours alone.
RNG really makes it less of my business. To some extent, regardless of how much time I intend to spend on breaking that damn lock, I'll either get lucky or not. Click-to-succeed feels a lot more fair. Either I've accumulated resources to do something, or I haven't (so maybe I should return later when I have everything I need). I get that there can be plenty of satisfaction from rolling the right numbers/items, but there's a lot more frustration too. Repeating trivial shit again and again just wears me down.
And if there were hindrance mechanics to discourage save-exploiting like attempts taking time per difficulty against your characters current talent and a crit fail chance that would prevent further attempts... if you bypass those rules through savescumming... it is once again your business how long you're willing to invest on it.
I'd rather have minimum amount of systems that can be exploited by save-load. Click-to-succeed is not one of them. Save-load till you die, you either have resources/skills or not.
Which ever way it goes, it is still better as a system as reflects your characterbuild in a much more organic (and less gamey) way and the reward of succeeding feels better when you know you could (or did a couple of times already) fail at it.
I don't think it's better. I don't like RNG in general. RNG is strongly associated with grind and save-load in my case. I seriously dislike it.
If you know the result beforehand (in a click-for-success), you won't ever fail because you will never try at anything, and success is forgettable as it is granted. It's a very gamey system that promotes less organic approach, and that kinda goes against the whole "learn by doing" method CDPR is using. It results in either you hunting down and grinding the succesful checks to progress your character, or the game being levelscaled so that if you have followed a certain kind of archetype, you'll always be served passable checks (lest you get stuck by design) which defeats the whole purpose of the system.
Take VtMB. You try, fail and take a note to return to it when you're ready. You don't grind the lock till either you run out of patience or get lucky. Yes, it's a gamey mechanic, but so what... It's a game. And I don't remember grinding in any of CDPR's games. I'm still amazed how they managed to make me invest hundreds of hours into them without grinding.
In any case... I know what most people want from this (RNG is the devil). Just saying my bit (once again) on it.
I know that you're a fan of RNG. It's still a good discussion. Again, I'm not saying "remove RNG" from everything. Sometimes it can be useful, but I really believe it needs to be used sparingly. Execution or/and strategy/planning - that's what I want. But I bet it's down to each and everyone's preferences.

It feels like the decisions I made with character creation are worthy and not affected by completely random luck. Anyway, fair enough. To each its own, we have no power in cdpr anyway.
If you think about it those character creation decisions and the skills you elect to improve can (and should) have a significant effect on those RNG rolls everyone loves to hate on.

In CP2020 each stat point and skill level is about a 5% increase, and should you have a maxed stat (10) and skill (10); unlikely but possible; you have a 100% chance to succeed at all but the most difficult skill checks.

Greater chance once gear is in - and possible positive environmental factors.

Even with Competent skill (5) and your good stat in that field (say, Tech 8), you start at 13. You have an 80% chance to succeed on an Average check. The right gear (+1 to +5) and a stable working environment (+3 or so) and you will always succeed at an Average task. On the first try no less. Spend a bit of Luck/get better gear/add cyberware or drugs and you will always succeed at a Difficult task.

CP2020 does a pretty good job of this.

If I haven't been on this one...my biggest fear is that 2077 won't be a bright and cheerful CO-OP MMO Action Adventure game in an anime style!

State your nightmare here.

Mine is a departure in style and tone from the initial trailer which looked mindblowing.
EDIT: BY INITIAL TRAILER I MEANT MS E3 TRAILER NOT THAT HORRIBLE JANITOR COP TRAILER.

The biggest fear is that the game will become like the division with constant upgrades that make some players op.

My biggest fear (and i think imma make a thread about this to discuss with you folk) is a graphical and/or world simulation downgrade at release (when compared to the demo we were shown)

What we saw in the gameplay demo was simply amazing. The detail, the graphical fidelity, the animation, etc, etc, looked simply stunning and the fluidity of the whole thing was also great.

That was played on a pretty powerful gaming PC (at the time). Now think about what they said, they aim to release this for current gen consoles.

Im a PC gamer, i dont like consoles (no offense to anyone who does) and I fear that what they showed in the demo wont be possible on current gen consoles. I dont think current gen consoles can handle that.

To that end, CDPR might even consider downgrading the game to be able to be played on them and this is for all platforms, even if PC's can handle the detail.

That is my biggest fear, that it wont look and feel as good as it does in the demo.

What we saw in the gameplay demo was simply amazing. The detail, the graphical fidelity, the animation, etc, etc, looked simply stunning and the fluidity of the whole thing was also great.

I'm probably in the minority here, but the graphics in that demo were nothing to write home about. Really. I'm fully expecting the graphics to be just like that at release or even better.

Last edited:
My biggest fear (and i think imma make a thread about this to discuss with you folk) is a graphical and/or world simulation downgrade at release (when compared to the demo we were shown)

Yeah, please don't do that.

We've been through the Downgrade Wars once already, it wasn't fun and achieved nothing of worth. Not again, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom