What is your biggest fear regarding CP2077

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
They did that exactly in answer to the "Cyberpunk is a FPS"
Actually the quote in the article is "To all of you asking - you’ll have many opportunities to see your character. It’s going to be First Person RPG, not a FPS." https://www.pcgamer.com/cyberpunk-2077-is-an-fps/ That is not "RPG comes first."

And yeah, because it's not a FPS, which is a game fully centered around gun and other weapon-based combat in a first person perspective. Between FPS and RPG, it's definitely an RPG first with some FPS elements.

That same article did some heavy hedging on the use of the term FPS:
It is somewhat a semantic dispute—'FPS' can describe a certain style of game (eg, Wolfenstein), or literally mean 'you shoot from a first-person view.' The latter is absolutely the case, and what we mean. There are lots of guns, there's cover, sliding, wall-runs, all the sorts of things we've seen in recent first-person shooters like Titanfall 2. At the same time, it is open world with the storytelling, dialogue, exploration, and progression associated with RPGs, as opposed to the linear progression sometimes associated with FPSes (but that has not defined them for a long time).

The distinction between genres is so blurred, with many 'shooters' having adopted RPG elements, and RPGs likewise taking on action game traits, that the important thing to take away is not so much any genre categorization, but the simple fact that you'll be running, taking cover, aiming, and shooting in a first-person view. That's not everyone's cup of tea, though we are very excited about what we've seen.

You cant always trust what you see paraphrased in wiki.

My biggest fear is you can't just wander around and check everything out.
Well, even in the 2013 press demo when V left her apartment there's no reason (we're aware of) she had to go straight to Jackie and find out about Dexter. And no reason she had to go straight to Dex.

So ...
Explore away!

Totally true , the best way is not to advance the game is just avoid quest markers . Jackie , Victor and Dex will still be there later on unless the mission has a timer on it .

Actually the quote in the article is "To all of you asking - you’ll have many opportunities to see your character. It’s going to be First Person RPG, not a FPS." https://www.pcgamer.com/cyberpunk-2077-is-an-fps/ That is not "RPG comes first."

And yeah, because it's not a FPS, which is a game fully centered around gun and other weapon-based combat in a first person perspective. Between FPS and RPG, it's definitely an RPG first with some FPS elements.
Like many articles (and people) they confuse "story" with "RPG".

To many people any game with a reasonable story-line and/or any decision making that effects the outcome of a game is an RPG. The character control mechanics, be they pure FPS (CoD) or pure RPG (Baldurs Gate) are not even taken into account.

And for BOTH FPS and RPG "purists" those mechanics are critical to how a game is defined, FPS or RPG.

And for BOTH FPS and RPG "purists" those mechanics are critical to how a game is defined, FPS or RPG.
I think this is 100% accurate. I'm just not a purist of either. I'm much more in the:

To many people any game with a reasonable story-line and/or any decision making that effects the outcome of a game is an RPG. The character control mechanics, be they pure FPS (CoD) or pure RPG (Baldurs Gate) are not even taken into account.

group.

The character control mechanics, be they pure FPS (CoD) or pure RPG (Baldurs Gate) are not even taken into account.

And even when they are, it’s often a simple ”there’s some stats there, deffo an RPG” (from players and developers alike) regardless of how minuscule/insignificant role they play in the experience by following the contextually lowest common denominator (aka, the biggest market where people love to love RPG’s, but hate the way they play).

Well sorry Rawl but:

>\Isn't this game really an FPS? Or an FPS RPG or Immersive Sim?

June 15/18 Vattier: "Cyberpunk is not an FPS. It's not a shooter with RPG mechanics either. Cyberpunk is a role-playing game with attributes, skills, perks, items and choices with consequences. First person perspective is a tool we decided to use for narrative reasons. "

More clear than that except that what we saw was not. It is in the Dev answer of this very forum.

More clear than that.
And it still doesn't say "RPG comes first." It just says it's definitely an RPG, not a shooter with RPG elements. Which is exactly what I'm saying. But being an RPG does not mean that RPG mechanics > story. They've said story comes first in a lot of places. I can link several spots if you like.

And it still doesn't say "RPG comes first." It just says it's definitely an RPG, not a shooter with RPG elements. Which is exactly what I'm saying. But being an RPG does not mean that RPG mechanics > story. They've said story comes first in a lot of places. I can link several spots if you like.

To be frank even if i can seem bold to get this answer yes it does... It stated this exact words. ""Cyberpunk is not an FPS. It's not a shooter with RPG mechanics either. Cyberpunk is a role-playing game with attributes, skills, perks, items and choices with consequences. " So yes according with this definition Cyberpunk 2077 is a rpg first and foremost even if sadly the gameplay demo shows exactly the opposite.

So yes according with this definition Cyberpunk 2077 is a rpg first and foremost even if sadly the gameplay demo shows exactly the opposite.
Sigh. I guess we just have to agree to disagree. I agree that's what Vatt said. I also agree that "Cyberpunk is a role-playing game with attributes, skills, perks, items and choices with consequences. " It clearly is in the demo. I disagree with your interpretation in the last sentence.

CDPR's focus has always been on a strong story, so nothing has changed in their company philosophy.

Unfortunately, @Rawls and @Mebrilia, you two just have fundamentally different ideas regarding what constitutes an RPG. I've hovered closer to Meb's point of view in the past, but now I find myself somewhere in the middle. 2077 is definitely not the true RPG some may have been led to believe (rightfully or otherwise, not for me to judge), and I can certainly understand the disappointment in that regard.

However... To say it's all shooty bang bang combat based on a single 45-minute demo that was specifically designed to excite people... That seems illogical.

Plenty of RPG mechanics will be in the game, but we'll have to wait and see for specifics. Maybe at this year's E3?

Guest 4323944

Back again , my first post described my fear of the game not living up to the hype but I was wrong , that's not my biggest fear . It's multiplayer . For some reason more and more people want co op / multiplayer modes in singleplayer games , and more often than not , devs give them what they want . Thing is 95% of the time it's used to be make more money . Now we know CDR won't be adding micro transactions ( atleast I hope not ) but that's not where the issue ends . You see alot of the time the single player experience is rushed because that's not where most players will spend extra money ( RDR2 *cough cough*) . Now again given the fact that the game won't be released '' untill it's ready '' , I'm not that worried BUT I am worried when even CDR is going to add an online hub .... in a singleplayer game ... Will that stop mods from being supported or slow down the rate at which they are ? Will I be forced to see other players or limit myself to what I can explore knowing that if I go somewhere I might end up having to deal with other people that don't roleplay ? .. and with all that my worries just grow . I've been gaming for years , I've seen my favorite games became nothing more than an online experience or a live service with loot boxes / microtransactions every single step of the way . Could this be the beginning of the end ? THAT'S my biggest fear . Hold me fellow punks .

Yea, can relate, especially about the part of perfectly good IP's hanging in limbo because of the potential income a MP focused game can bring.

I don't think it's the case here though, even though they did say they would like to make MP a part of their games, eventually. Probably not their priority for now. Maybe @Lilayah can tell us something on the subject?

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

Unfortunately, @Rawls and @Mebrilia, you two just have fundamentally different ideas regarding what constitutes an RPG. I've hovered closer to Meb's point of view in the past, but now I find myself somewhere in the middle. 2077 is definitely not the true RPG some may have been led to believe (rightfully or otherwise, not for me to judge), and I can certainly understand the disappointment in that regard.
Funny how 20 years ago, many critics used to disparage Planescape: Torment as the interactive novel, not a true RPG, etc... Now it is seen as a Holy Grail... Standards have obviously changed since the '90s and from what I've seen CP2077 is not mechanically deficient when compared to the other modern RPGs.

To be frank even if i can seem bold to get this answer yes it does... It stated this exact words. ""Cyberpunk is not an FPS. It's not a shooter with RPG mechanics either. Cyberpunk is a role-playing game with attributes, skills, perks, items and choices with consequences. " So yes according with this definition Cyberpunk 2077 is a rpg first and foremost even if sadly the gameplay demo shows exactly the opposite.
So far it appears the combat in CP2077 is pure FPS, and FPS only (with the exception of the auto-hit smartgun).
I'm still hoping (but not really expecting) this isn't the case.

Funny how 20 years ago, many critics used to disparage Planescape: Torment as the interactive novel, not a true RPG, etc... Now it is seen as a Holy Grail... Standards have obviously changed since the '90s and from what I've seen CP2077 is not mechanically deficient when compared to the other modern RPGs.

Difference is in planescape torment stat actually mattered having a character with high intelligence,wisdom,charisma unlocked a lot of things more dialogues more ways to solve quests and so on.
This is a core difference that makes the game while having a set protagonist to be character centric and more rpg like instead of having "We don't want to gatekeep dialogues between skill checks" that is very unrpg like. Beside... Is still a game based on a Pen and paper expecting a degree of continuity with it is actually pretty obvious to be expected.

What if a game were maid based on D&D and in the gameplay was like god of war?.. Well it is simple it would be D&D only in the title.
Also many forget a lot of things cd projekt said in past things that implyed a lot of continuity with the pen and paper.

Statements like "You will be able to print your character shreet and play in the pen and paper with it."

The demo was not cyberpunk aside visuals and was not even a rpg to start with. The example given were stats on a jacket and talks about levels ((those alone in cyberpunk are blasphemy))

Last edited:
with the exception of the auto-hit smartgun

Which doesn’t seem to be different from obtaining a homing missile weapon in an FPS, since character stats as far as I recall don’t matter there either as the gun decides its own accuracy.

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

Difference is in planescape torment stat actually mattered having a character with high intelligence,wisdom,charisma unlocked a lot of things more dialogues more ways to solve quests and so on.
This is a core difference that makes the game while having a set protagonist to be character centric and more rpg like instead of having "We don't want to gatekeep dialogues between skill checks" that is very unrpg like.
Well, according to 48min demo, there will be the intelligence stat in CP2077 as well, I think it's natural to assume that high INT=more dialogue options for V. It probably isn't there just so the NPCs could tell V how smart she is. ;)
I'm not a fan of the fast-paced shooting either and would have preferred pause&play option over what was shown, it's juts not a deal-breaker for me.
And my main point was that CP2077 looks like a game that meets today's standards of the RPG. Whether the appropriate name for that is RPG-lite, action RPG or RPG-FPS hybrid doesn't matter much to me. Definitely seems like an improvement over TW3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom