What is your biggest fear regarding CP2077

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Street cred afaik is like reputation, it opens up new contacts and missions to you?
What we know is from four places: Vattier, Lilayah (both members of the CDPR Community Team), the twitter page and Kyle Rowley at E3 last year. So:

So Kyle Rowley told Gamespot - " ... We basically have two forms of experience. We have standard experience which you'll gain from completing core missions, and then we have what we call street cred which is an alternate experience you gain from side missions. Naturally when you're completing main quests and side quests, you kind of get a bit of both, but we king of separate and split the amount of each XP depending on if your doing a main or side mission. Main missions give core XP and side missions give the street cred. Street cred is basically a way for you to ... based on your street cred level you can unlock different vendors and will unlock fixers. So fixers are kind of like the mission givers in this world right? So they'll give you jobs to do. And you get access to new fixers as your kind of leveling up your street cred." It's around 15:30 to 16:30 in the interview.

Vattier said here on the forums - "We're not planning to introduce any reputation indicators for factions. Your reputation will be measured by a general Street Cred - reflecting how you're seen by the street. You will be able to increase it through side missions and it will allow you to unlock access to additional content, such as new shops or new missions."

Lilayah said here on the forums - "Along with a traditional XP system, players can garner Street Cred by completing side missions and jobs in the city. The player’s reputation is then used to unlock access to new vendors and contacts throughout Night City, allowing them to complete new missions."

The Twitter Account said -

What we know is from four places: Vattier, Lilayah (both members of the CDPR Community Team), the twitter page and Kyle Rowley at E3 last year. So:

So Kyle Rowley told Gamespot - " ... We basically have two forms of experience. We have standard experience which you'll gain from completing core missions, and then we have what we call street cred which is an alternate experience you gain from side missions. Naturally when you're completing main quests and side quests, you kind of get a bit of both, but we king of separate and split the amount of each XP depending on if your doing a main or side mission. Main missions give core XP and side missions give the street cred. Street cred is basically a way for you to ... based on your street cred level you can unlock different vendors and will unlock fixers. So fixers are kind of like the mission givers in this world right? So they'll give you jobs to do. And you get access to new fixers as your kind of leveling up your street cred." It's around 15:30 to 16:30 in the interview.

Vattier said here on the forums - "We're not planning to introduce any reputation indicators for factions. Your reputation will be measured by a general Street Cred - reflecting how you're seen by the street. You will be able to increase it through side missions and it will allow you to unlock access to additional content, such as new shops or new missions."

Lilayah said here on the forums - "Along with a traditional XP system, players can garner Street Cred by completing side missions and jobs in the city. The player’s reputation is then used to unlock access to new vendors and contacts throughout Night City, allowing them to complete new missions."

The Twitter Account said -
I forgot this: "Perks unlocked with both Street Cred and XP. "

Oh well, I guess I need to surrender and accept it. At least I hope they won't make this "magic" perks equippable and unequippable like in TW3 and that levels won't make enemies impossible to be killed again...

Dear CDPR, make those perks (together with the one you get from cyberware) realistic at least. That subdermal grip in the demo made absolutely no sense... You said you wanted to make an immersive game, please stick to that vision as much as possible.

EDIT: it's not the subdermal grip itself being a problem, on the contrary it was very good. The problem comes when it increases weapons' damage as the narrator clearly says. A grip can't increase bullet's stopping power, there's no way this could happen. Immersion breaking at its worst.

Last edited:
That subdermal grip in the demo made absolutely no sense... You said you wanted to make an immersive game, please stick to that vision as much as possible.

What do you mean made no sense? In my opinion it makes perfectly fine sense. The grip is a connection between cybernetics of the gun-users body and electronics of the smartgun, providing improved aim. For example: the cyber-eye of the user looks at the target and the gun aims itself to it.

I believe smartguns come from Shadowrun RPG though, so I guess the devs are loaning some ideas? :)

What do you mean made no sense? In my opinion it makes perfectly fine sense. The grip is a connection between cybernetics of the gun-users body and electronics of the smartgun, providing improved aim. For example: the cyber-eye of the user looks at the target and the gun aims itself to it.

I believe smartguns come from Shadowrun RPG though, so I guess the devs are loaning some ideas? :)
it's not the subdermal grip itself being a problem, on the contrary it was very good. The problem comes when it increases weapons' damage as the narrator clearly says. A grip can't increase bullet's stopping power, there's no way this could happen. Immersion breaking at its worst.

I'm editing the previous post to make it clearer.

it's not the subdermal grip itself being a problem, on the contrary it was very good. The problem comes when it increases weapons' damage as the narrator clearly says. A grip can't increase bullet's stopping power, there's no way this could happen.

I'm editing the previous post to make it clearer.

Well, increased accuracy lends itself to increased damage in a way, especially with weapons of high cyclic rate. 100% damage is more than 0% damage (missed shot). I get what you are saying though, and I agree. Merely increasing accuracy shouldn't give a flat buff to bullet damage. Lets hope that its just slip with words.

Well, increased accuracy lends itself to increased damage in a way, especially with weapons of high cyclic rate. 100% damage is more than 0% damage (missed shot). I get what you are saying though, and I agree. Merely increasing accuracy shouldn't give a flat buff to bullet damage. Lets hope that its just slip with words.
then they should have decreased bullet dispersion instead of increasing damage. And it's not only words, the subdermal grip on-screen description was clear about that. I get it, work in progress, but at the time they registered the demo the plan was to have it in the game. Is the plan still the same?
Then what, will we level up and choose to use a skill point to unlock "+15% critical DMG with long guns" or "-10% prices from ripper docs"? How do you justify that without breaking immersion completely? There are many ways to do that without gating it to classic levels: more expensive weapon with less recoil, more penetrating bullets you can buy, a mechanical arm that reduces recoil, a reputation system that automatically increases/decreases prices... Same results, but no immersion is broken (and no need for programming skills, just a little attention to details when you design game's mechanics).

That's my main fear for the game: that it will be dealt as a fantasy RPG instead of a realistic and immersive one.

Last few pages and posts really lay out a lot of the other smaller concerns I have.

Namely, this notion that Militech Pistol I (UNCOMMON) will be weaker than Militech Pistol 1 (LEGENDARY). Why? How? What?

Nonsensical - this isn't a looter shooter like Anthem or Destiny ( ...right? :p )

More importantly, this sort of stuff isn't even necessary for progression. Look at classic RPGs - you have masterwork and +1 or +2 gear, but that's about it. The weapons do the damage they do; real progression comes from your character getting more efficient at their job, or in the case of 2077, acquiring better cyberware (among other things, obviously).

I've said it countless times, but I think weapon skills should impact recoil, reload speed, and weapon sway.

On another note, I wouldn't be opposed to small damage increases, like the equivalent of a +1 sword. I think that's where weapon brands can come in.

You can have a street pistol that does regular damage, a military-grade pistol that does +X damage (nothing ridiculous - it needs to be believable), and then a corp-grade pistol that does +X(+1) damage.

I really hope they get rid of the weapon rarity stuff. It's plainly an attempt to capitalize on the market trend; there's no other reason to have Rare and Legendary weapons in what is supposed to be a believable sci-fi world (IMO). It's fine in fantasy games.

Last edited:
I agree 99% with you, but I would add that the different weapons' grades should come together with (at least) different textures so that you can see the weapons are different. But I guess you meant that already.

The 1% I don't agree is about fantasy games only because I still need a justification for that (even just simple magic or the fact that a weapon is ACTUALLY epic or legendary, but than a common sword can't be better than that because of levels like in TW3). Skyrim did that quite well (even if crafting was broken). As you said, TW3 and CP2077 are not supposed to be looter shooters (or diablo-like). TW3 is such when it comes to loot, we don't want CP2077 to be the same game but in first person. Unless the plan is to make a looter shooter (even closer to that when the multiplayer will be released)...

Last few pages and posts really lay out a lot of the other smaller concerns I have.

Namely, this notion that Militech Pistol I (UNCOMMON) will be weaker than Militech Pistol 1 (LEGENDARY). Why? How? What?

Nonsensical - this isn't a looter shooter like Anthem or Destiny ( ...right? :p )
Actually looking at the 48-minute press demo CP2077 is to a large extent a looter-shooter.

We saw weapons and armor (V's jacket) graded by rarity and given different characteristics. Apparently tho some weapons are hand placed (the smartgun rifle) others can be picked up along the way.

I'm personally very unhappy with this. Yes, different weapon types from different manufacturers should have different characteristics, but the same type from the same manufacturer should be identical ... assembly lines.

I really hope they get rid of the weapon rarity stuff. It's plainly an attempt to capitalize on the market trend; there's no other reason to have Rare and Legendary weapons in what is supposed to be a believable sci-fi world (IMO). It's fine in fantasy games.
Amen.

Actually looking at the 48-minute press demo CP2077 is to a large extent a looter-shooter.

We saw weapons and armor (V's jacket) graded by rarity and given different characteristics. Apparently tho some weapons are hand placed (the smartgun rifle) others can be picked up along the way.

At the end of the day, this is a RPG, and is based on a table-top RPG. It has these stats on items to begin with, and CDPR seems to have been sticking to the tabletop whenever applicable. We shouldn't be surprised that its a looter-shooter, since looting has been at the core of RPGs since Gary Gygax organised the first tabletop RPG sessions of the world. In fact, Gygax specifically made a dungeon-crawler game, with roleplaying being entirely secondary.

It can be immersion-breaking if you focus on it, but the trick is to NOT do that.

You can safely ignore it and push it to the back of your mind and just enjoy the world, the game, the immersion. One of my favorite ARPGs, AC: Odyssey has also looting, rarities and stuff, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. (It also means that the game would be awesome without these things, but *shrug* if we have to live with it, I'm not that bothered)

I just hope that they don't overdo the loot/gear progression stuff. Its easy to fall into that pit if you're a developer. The whole thing is mainly about giving player some micromanagement to do when there is no big story event going on.

I'm just saying that as long as the world, story game mechanics will be excellent, the game will not fail because of its loot/rarity/character progression system. That shouldn't be our main worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom