What is your biggest fear regarding CP2077

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, this is slightly confusing, to say the least. I've seen people say to not expect certain things because that's not CDPR's style and we should look to The Witcher 3 to get an idea what to expect, but then again you have people saying just because CDPR has done certain things before in previous games, they won't necessarily do it in this game and you shouldn't look to their other games as this is an entirely new IP. So which is it? :shrug:

It depends on what helps the point the person is trying to make... People just say the thing that helps them the most to "win" the argument.

This thing is bad in past game!
So if I want to say something bad here, I would just say that it's going to be the same in the new game because that's how they make the games.
But if I want to say something good, I would just say that they now know this was bad so they are going to change it.

I guess my biggest fear is that we'll continue to get updates that I feel are 'downgrades' and not many that are 'wow' factors. None of the info we've gotten this year has made me say wow and be more excited about the game. On the contrary, we've gotten updates about changes that have negatively impacted the game (in my opinion). I'm hoping they've got some wows for us and the upcoming changes made to the game are positive.

- The Trailers (demo 2018) show V does a bit of talking without Dialog-options (I don't like that)
- Dialogue System (I want to have more than 2, 3 options)
- We have Pistols, Rifles, Blades, Shotguns, Twohanded, Hacking, Assassinations, Cold Blood, Sniper Rifles, Engineering, Melee (unarmed combat) and Athletics. (Where are social skills?)
- please no Diablo / witcher 3 loot system and no Weapons scaling (lv1 Bandit sword 5 damage, lv15 Bandit sword 65 damage ect.)
W.jpg

Sorry, but it's terrible:cry:

I only need this to be better than the Deus Ex series because I desperately need a replacement for that. As far as I can tell, exploration, stealth or alternate level paths do not overly revolve around crawling on air ducts, so it's already an improvement.

I only need this to be better than the Deus Ex series because I desperately need a replacement for that. As far as I can tell, exploration, stealth or alternate level paths do not overly revolve around crawling on air ducts, so it's already an improvement.
Airducts are a staple of stealth

/s

kinda

1) Lack of character identity and uniqueness due to being able to respec, and in fear of the build customization not being deep enough.

2) Lack of memorable antagonists

3) Rushed ending or otherwise bad pacing through the story arcs

4) CDPR saying there won't be "non-quest explorable areas" leaves me wondering if exploration, immersion and world building will suffer from this.

5) "hero complex" writing where your character is unable to act properly immoral, unethical or manipulative if you wish to play that way.

OK, this is slightly confusing, to say the least. I've seen people say to not expect certain things because that's not CDPR's style and we should look to The Witcher 3 to get an idea what to expect, but then again you have people saying just because CDPR has done certain things before in previous games, they won't necessarily do it in this game and you shouldn't look to their other games as this is an entirely new IP. So which is it? :shrug:

Well, at least they arent BGS, BGS is turning, well already is sandbox dev, at least where they are headed with their engine. We will see how Starfield looks like in couple year.

Biggest fears would be:

1. Shallow/insignificant customization in a game based on a tabletop RPG, where customization is everything

2. Generic FPS gameplay that fails to justify why this game didn't just go third-person ARPG

I can't say I have any doubts surrounding the game's story, characters, visuals, and sense of exploration.

1 - My fear is the game does not have impressive cities like this >
ccc.png

I want to see more flying cars, more technology, neon, holograms etc..
:sad:

2 - Shallow/insignificant character customization²

3 - Few variety of enemies/bosses.

Last edited:
My biggest fear is the chance that the game isn't playable by me, as I suffered a stroke and have limited use of my left hand. So therefore I will be playing via PC. I use a Razer NAGA for my mouse so I can play WoW but I cannot play some games that require me to use my left hand. So I hope they make it so I can play with my +12 button mouse.

I think we're on the same page. My original concern was having character and weapon levels be in the game at all. I just don't want encounters to be "how high is this guy's level? Do I stand a chance against him in combat? If he's 10 levels above me, I should just go for the peaceful option."

That's not role-playing. It's not even fun. It's just making decisions based on arbitrary numbers. I really hope CDPR goes the Deus Ex route and makes an RPG Lite. I can't stress how much I fucking hate character and weapon levels.
I hate that ish so much that I didn’t complete The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt’s main campaign, until this year! It was to infuriating and immersion breaking to organically hear about an interesting Witcher Contract from some villagers but then realize that inspite of being a witcher with over five decades of monster slaying combat experience. The Witcher Contract I just got is more than 10 Levels above me. And by the time I got to that level. I forgot all about the mission that I wanted to do, way back when...

But what has made me feel more like a Legendary Witcher. Is from going on YouTube and finding vids about how to maximize the use of your skill points. By creating an Alchemy and Combat Build or Signs. It changed my life! I had completely ignored the alchemy skill tree, altogether. I had no idea such potential lied within it for Geralt of Rivia.

Using their suggestions gave me the confidence and option to take on any quest, regardless of Suggested Level. But unfortunately, it doesn’t help with weapon and armor level requirements though...

I think we're on the same page. My original concern was having character and weapon levels be in the game at all. I just don't want encounters to be "how high is this guy's level? Do I stand a chance against him in combat? If he's 10 levels above me, I should just go for the peaceful option."

That's not role-playing. It's not even fun. It's just making decisions based on arbitrary numbers.
It has just been confirmed to be the case: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/e3-2019-media-news-previews.11007793/post-11636731

1) MMO Itemization like in The Witcher 3. It was really bad

2) I don't like what they said about "making the game accessible to "Non shooter enthusiasts". " It's almost like they developed a non lethal playthorugh to make them game accessible more than because it's functional by design. Also I would really hate being unable to ghost levels or surpass combat with social skills, and what worries me is that they only mentioned "non lethal weapons" for non lethal playthrough. That would be extremely bad.

So, first of all, sorry if my english isn't correct, but I'll try my best.
(Get a tissue to wipe the blood the will flow from your eyes)

The link between Cyberpunk 2077 and me is special. I'm not working on the games industry, I'm not a professional, but my passion towards video games is old and real. I run a site, since a lot of years, where I speak about imaginary worlds and most of all about the way we can tell a story. Since the beginnings of the humanity, we tell stories. Our ancestors met around the fire and talked about monsters, they talked about the stars, without even knowing what it was, they talked about things they don't know. The drew on the cave's walls. Etc, etc.

Today, we still tell stories. It's our nature. Comics, movies, video games, stories are everywhere. A few video games are even losing gameplay because they want to share a story. I love this, I love to analyse narrative mecanisms, emotional impact, etc.

So, when I discovered the first Witcher game, where the team tried his best to deliver a beautiful world with impactful stories, I fell in love with CD Red. I followed them when they talked about the combat game, when they developed their saga, when they release the Gwent, a card game with a strong story and characters ! I met a game development studio which liked narration and story as I love them. Indeed, when they told us they were working on a Cyberpunk 2020 RPG, the RPG from my childhood, I cannot resist : it was perfect.

Since the beginning of the communication phase (ie E3 2018), I checked ALL THE DAYS the news, the interviews, the comm' material. I registered on a big forum from my country, to post and promote the game. It was the game I always wanted.

But since the E3 2019, I'm losing the hype. One by one, all the little elements that made me dream are fading away. I understood the disapearance of cool things like flying cars (even if games like GTA or Just Cause managed to implant this), but a lot of things are more problematic to me. I will not list everything, but I regret that stuff linked to the roleplaying aspect of the game are gone. The first thing I can think, it's the houses. CP2077 is sold with a tagline ("it's the city of dreams, and I'm a big dreamer"). I wanted to build a reputation, get high in the social ladder, buy flats and incredible houses on the top of buildings, to literaly see the city under my foot. This is just an example, but I believe this is a big error, an antithesis for the concept itself.

I wanted to understand the decisions (and other things, like the cutscenes wich are always in FPS, the absence of humanity with consequences on the gameplay, the construction wich seems to be very basic - road driving, gang's "dungeon", shopping, road driving, etc -, the RPG aspect wich seems to be hidden behind the shooter aspect, etc). I tried to contact the studio, but since early june, and a few messages sent, I never had a single answer (when I contacted them the few years before 2018, I always got answers). I'm not a big media, just a fan writing for a cultural magazine wich speaks about cinema, games and series, it may be can explain this.

So, my biggest fears are that : I'm afraid the game they sold me last year, is now gone. The game they sold me with interviews, declarations and other promises that don't exist anymore.
Congrats for reading this without losing your vision.

With the recently released information about the hacking mini-game in CP20277 I'm starting to get worried about Netrunners. Tho we have zero solid information about the mini-game CP2077 will use these sorts of games are generally essentially QTEs (Quick Time Events) in that you have to do whatever in a limited (and short) amount of time.

Anyone else getting this feeling?

So, first of all, sorry if my english isn't correct, but I'll try my best.
(Get a tissue to wipe the blood the will flow from your eyes)

The link between Cyberpunk 2077 and me is special. I'm not working on the games industry, I'm not a professional, but my passion towards video games is old and real. I run a site, since a lot of years, where I speak about imaginary worlds and most of all about the way we can tell a story. Since the beginnings of the humanity, we tell stories. Our ancestors met around the fire and talked about monsters, they talked about the stars, without even knowing what it was, they talked about things they don't know. The drew on the cave's walls. Etc, etc.

Today, we still tell stories. It's our nature. Comics, movies, video games, stories are everywhere. A few video games are even losing gameplay because they want to share a story. I love this, I love to analyse narrative mecanisms, emotional impact, etc.

So, when I discovered the first Witcher game, where the team tried his best to deliver a beautiful world with impactful stories, I fell in love with CD Red. I followed them when they talked about the combat game, when they developed their saga, when they release the Gwent, a card game with a strong story and characters ! I met a game development studio which liked narration and story as I love them. Indeed, when they told us they were working on a Cyberpunk 2020 RPG, the RPG from my childhood, I cannot resist : it was perfect.

Since the beginning of the communication phase (ie E3 2018), I checked ALL THE DAYS the news, the interviews, the comm' material. I registered on a big forum from my country, to post and promote the game. It was the game I always wanted.

But since the E3 2019, I'm losing the hype. One by one, all the little elements that made me dream are fading away. I understood the disapearance of cool things like flying cars (even if games like GTA or Just Cause managed to implant this), but a lot of things are more problematic to me. I will not list everything, but I regret that stuff linked to the roleplaying aspect of the game are gone. The first thing I can think, it's the houses. CP2077 is sold with a tagline ("it's the city of dreams, and I'm a big dreamer"). I wanted to build a reputation, get high in the social ladder, buy flats and incredible houses on the top of buildings, to literaly see the city under my foot. This is just an example, but I believe this is a big error, an antithesis for the concept itself.

I wanted to understand the decisions (and other things, like the cutscenes wich are always in FPS, the absence of humanity with consequences on the gameplay, the construction wich seems to be very basic - road driving, gang's "dungeon", shopping, road driving, etc -, the RPG aspect wich seems to be hidden behind the shooter aspect, etc). I tried to contact the studio, but since early june, and a few messages sent, I never had a single answer (when I contacted them the few years before 2018, I always got answers). I'm not a big media, just a fan writing for a cultural magazine wich speaks about cinema, games and series, it may be can explain this.

So, my biggest fears are that : I'm afraid the game they sold me last year, is now gone. The game they sold me with interviews, declarations and other promises that don't exist anymore.
Congrats for reading this without losing your vision.

Let me be the first to welcome you to the forums!

As far as your concerns go, i believe they're a bit unwarranted. Keep in mind i have no insider knowledge to speak off and these are simply my thoughts on what we know so far.

Like you said, for CDPR the story comes first. It is a very important aspect for them, one that has brought them success and critical acclaim, especially with The Witcher 3. I'm willing to bet the proverbial farm, that it's also their main focus this time around. Nothing so far makes me think it took a back seat.

Apartments.. , i know that this is something that many people would want because of the feeling of progression and belonging to the world but maybe, just maybe, giving the player multiple apartments would go against the thing they placed above all else, above the thing you also value the most.. the story. You seem to acknowlage the fact that, sometimes, gameplay must make room for story, freedom must make room for focus. I strongly believe that it is one of those times.

In order to make a good game, to deliver a good, engrossing story you do not need specific mechanics, a good story is good in TPP, FPP, isometric etc. that's the beauty of storytelling, it transcends limitations. The impact of mechanics on storytelling is only in the way it advances and is relayed to the player. There are different ways to tell a story in a book, for example. Writers have different writing styles they employ that better serve the type of story they are trying to tell, TPP like Harry Potter or FPP like The Hunger Games. I believe this is the exact same principle that CDPR are using with their newest game. A FPP experience in which they use the inherent advantages of said perspective in videogames to tell a finely tailored story, narrative to that particular style. That's the beauty of video games, it combines tehnology and the arts to bring to life stories and worlds that the player can actually experience in a deeper, more personal way than any other medium, thus it should not be beholden to the limitations of the others, even the ones it draws inspiration from. This is not to say you or anyone else is wrong in wishing things differently but I think it's important to keep an open mind and to give it a fair chance.

p.s. Your english is fine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom