What is your biggest fear regarding CP2077

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a huge opportunity to explore these heavy topics from various points of view. Not that CDPR owes it to anyone, but nobody did that before, so there it is.

Cyberpunk genre never played around genders and sexes until we got best film sequel "Bladerunner 2049" where the main plot is about replicant giving birth to baby. So that gender in future dystopia is negligible is laughable to think.

They said months ago in an interview that it will be called "body type" and you CAN ONLY define your sexuality through in-game choices. So what's the problem here? didn't see this coming from a mile away? :facepalm:

Last edited:
im hoping the news about having no male/female options isn't true, as i identify as a male.
i have no problem with having a neutral option, but i dont want to make a character that is ambiguous and just a close approximation to a male.
which leads me onto my next worry that it wont matter to NPCs what sex you are, you'll be able to romance them all.
and in conversations in general being male/female wont have any impact on conversations choices now.

i hope CDPR will handle it correctly, but im really over identity politics at this point.
entertainment in general is poor these days, i kinda had a lot hanging on CP2077

anyway ill say no more till i see more for myself, and make an informed decision

im hoping the news about having no male/female options isn't true, as i identify as a male.
i have no problem with having a neutral option, but i dont want to make a character that is ambiguous and just a close approximation to a male.
which leads me onto my next worry that it wont matter to NPCs what sex you are, you'll be able to romance them all.
and in conversations in general being male/female wont have any impact on conversations choices now.

i hope CDPR will handle it correctly, but im really over identity politics at this point.
entertainment in general is poor these days, i kinda had a lot hanging on CP2077

anyway ill say no more till i see more for myself, and make an informed decision
There is no neutral option either.
You pick a body type, you pick a voice etc. So you can of course have a 100% male character. Or female. Or mix and match however you want.

And no you won't be able to romance them all. The sexuality of your V will be defined by your actions/choices. So if your choices are hetero than homosexual NPCs won't be interested in you.

I'll admit that I don't fully get what's going on with this decision. So can you choose a male body and female voice and vice-versa? I mean, yeah, I get that this setting lets you do practically whatever you want with your body, but how many people in this setting actually think this way and play around with their sexual attributes?

I suppose it's ok if you can, in fact, define your gender later in-game, but from what I know now, we're now playing as a genderless thing with an arbitrarily chosen body and voice. I'm having a bit of a hard time wrapping my mind around that idea. It also feels totally Kusanagi, but this isn't Ghost in the Shell, so for now I'm undecided on this.

I really am not fan of not choosing gender on start of the game, I do not wanna make some clone just later to determine gender. I mean nobody asked for this and everyone were happy how character creation was. Now this..... I was almost 100% on pre ordering game now with this kind of decisions I wonder if I will get the game at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
My biggest fear is what is happening now.. If I want to be able to choose my gender, why can't I? Soo I'm sure you can put an option into the game whether the player wants choosing gender or not. This way both parties would be happy, and the fkers who are tanking reviews for their own political views won't be appeased no matter what CDPR is doing.
If Cyberpunk 2077 does this, the real players, who want to play the game may abandon their hope in this company too, and if Cyberpunk 2077 doesn't do it, journos and other toxicity will tank reviews and spread hatred about the game.

My biggest fear is what is happening now.. If I want to be able to choose my gender, why can't I?

It's an RPG, so I think, the more options, the better. In a transhumanist fiction (which Cyberpunk is), it's only plausible that a category like gender is more of a "modular construction" and not just a binary choice.
Before, you had just green or red, now you have a whole fluid scale. Nothing stops you from picking green or red anyway.

If Cyberpunk 2077 does this, the real players, who want to play the game may abandon their hope in this company too, and if Cyberpunk 2077 doesn't do it, journos and other toxicity will tank reviews and spread hatred about the game.
Soo dear CDPR, will you appease your gamers OR the media? There's no route inbetween.

I like to think that great works of art can be read from different perspectives and I'm sure that for CDPR's work, there is a route in between: By making the game about the gamer's choices, not the media's or people who think they make a valid point by caps-typing or reducing complex themes to black-or-white choices.

The biggest problem with this decision is that CDPR will lose LOTS of pre orders and probably lots of sales too. Plus they will lose one more important thing and that is credibility, and that is something you do not get back easy.
I do hope that they reverse on this because they will lose much more then they will get it.

Post automatically merged:

Source?
Give me one example of how this works.
Well it did kinda worked in Mass Effect, but I am still very careful on my opinions plus internet already vent into full panic mode. Also it sadly caused CDPR losing lots of good will with community.

I will wait for the 30th to see if they show the CC before i make comments on the subject but this is a very important subject and CDPR has to explain clearly what they will do.

I'm slightly confused on what they mean here, but I'm roleplaying as a gender not a 'body type'. A fix is sure to be one of the first mods on Nexus.

Post automatically merged:

Well it did kinda worked in Mass Effect

Yes, for the sexuality of your character, but NPCs accept or reject a relationship based on your character's sex, a man or a woman.

No matter or what, if a romanceable npc is clearly straight or gay. at some point in the game you have to define your V's genre.

Cyberpunk genre never played around genders and sexes until we got best film sequel "Bladerunner 2049" where the main plot is about replicant giving birth to baby. So that gender in future dystopia is negligible is laughable to think.
It was there. For example in the Matrix the character Switch was meant to be a female in the virtual world and a male in the real world. In Strange Days people bought brain records so middle aged men could experience what it's like to take a shower as a young girl. You also seem to forget that cyberpunk fiction is a reflection of pop culture and society. Like everything, it evolves along. So the argument that if something wasn't done in the past means it's irrelevant and laughable is flawed to say the least.

Source?
Give me one example of how this works.
Lilayah (one of CDPRs CMs) said it'll work that way on discord. I'm string together a few bits here:

Your choices will shape your sexuality. You can also avoid all kind of romances and sex if you want. For example, me as female V, I can be homosexual, heterosexual, bisexual and asexual. NPC will have predefined sexuality. Lets say you are hetero and NPC is homosexual, mentioned NPC wont be available option for you. And it's not like you will see npc and first dialog option will be "hey wanna go somewhere quiet and get busy?"

The posts that make up that quote was on official discord thismorning between 5:55 am and 6:00 am EDT (a little over 3 hours ago as of the time of this post).

Yes, for the sexuality of your character, but NPCs accept or reject a relationship based on your character's sex, a man or a woman.
The logical implication would be that NPC preference would be partially determined by the by "body type" choice. Haven't heard that confirmed 100%, but it seems like the obvious choice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom