What is your f2p ranking experience so far?

+
What the hell is happening here? This thread has some people who:

1. They are bad on this game so in their mind everyone who is owning them has to be a paying player

2. They never played other CCGs and they can't make a comparison so they can't understand that while other CCGs are indead P2W, Gwent is trully free to play..!

3. They are fans/competitors from others CCGs and they spread misinformation in hopes that Gwent won't succeed...

4. They are just trolls who kill time by trolling the forums..

I started playing this game since the 2nd day of Open Beta.. Until today i had enough scraps to craft many many Silvers.. already got 6
golds from kegs.. I am lvl 22 and 11 rank.. I have three complete NR decks which are competitive..

AFTER all that I was so happy and satisfied with the game that yesterday I decided to pay for 7 kegs.. Not for the kegs.. I didn't need them.. it was just a small tip because they made an awesome trully f2p card game and I wanted to support them..
​​​​​

fodare;n8836820 said:
90% of the time I lose is simply because they have better cards. I don't understand why more people aren't complaining about the horrendous p2w that's rampant here. Don't even try to come up with a "strategy" or think you have a chance until you have at least all the gold of the same color and a few silver. Or you'll just run into Rag Nah Roog and lose. Or run into any trio that spawns the others with no effort.

This.
I'm far from having the perfect deck and getting to rank 10 has been a hellish slog. I'm not even sure I'll be able to reach rank 11 when I'm only encountering netdeckers that (it seems) milled entire faction to get their OP deck (that may get nerfed down the line... So I really hope they indeed milled entire factions so I can have the last laugh in some months).
It's not that I don't understand the game, 70% of the time I can easily identify what people play, how they will play it and what they will do... It's just that there is nothing I can do to stop them due to my sub-optimum golds (Renew and Coral are my best and I've crafted them... The rest is just Triss and Gerald because I don't have anything better) and silver (no Operator, Alzur Double Cross, Olgierd, D bomb etc).

Then I would like to make a NR deck but realise I miss tons of important cards (Dethmold, Neneke, Dandelion etc), same for monsters (I don't have any of the crones).

Last edited:
I´m rank 9 at the moment. I think I have done decently, except against NG. I think earning scraps and kegs as f2p so far has been done in a fair fashion, didn´t expect to have every card after couple of weeks. I hope that this continues because I really don´t like paying for card packs, I´d rather pay for story content or something like that.

I scrapped all the decks besides ST (and no, I did not build a spell/control deck from that and I do not use Dwarves either) and now at rank 10 going slowly up but really struggle against Nilfgaard decks. Almost every single game shows me that I need to drop more units from the deck in favor of control spells to increase my win rates, but I really do not want to do it. Fighting againt meta is more interesting even if frustrating and preventing me from ranking higher.

I am rank 4 (though I don't play ranked as of late because I want to get more cards for my deck). I sport a NR (yes I said NORTHERN REALMS deck) and it is a Machine Deck. Basically everything Machine related (Trebuchet, Balista, RTrebuchet, RBalista, Siege Tower, KSS, KSP, Stennis and I want to get John Natalis right now). In the ranked games I have played I perform well (in fact I noticed it was easier than Casual) and yes in my opinion this game is fair in terms of the micro transactions (although I NEVER get the cards I want from kegs, not only do I get like 1 NR card max every 2 kegs but its usally something useless or something I already have) and with a few game balances (*cough* *cough* Tibor *cough* *cough*) it will be fair for all players.

So in short: Fun, challenging, mostly fair, F2P and yes ranked is nice.

dimikolpa;n8817000 said:
I managed to hit rank 9 about 4 days after starting with Gwent as a completely new player in the OB. I am curious as to how your ranking experience as f2p players was so far. I am certainly not an above average skilled player, but for me it was one of the best experiences, starting with a new CCG (And I've tried most of them: Hearthstone, ESL, Shadowverse etc.).

Have you thought that perhaps the reason that you had such a wonderful experience was because this was a new META? Because that's the reason 100%. If it was the CBT meta i guarantee you you would had not the same experience you describe here. Also, notice that they starting buffing/nerfing units to their CBT value................and as the new meta is settling if you would start now it wouldn't be the same. Nevertheless, they did try indeed to give a smoother experience and partially succeeded.

YES, the f2p side seems really good in this game.

The problem from my perspective as a old time MTG player is that the interaction in this game is even worst then in Hearthstone.
The deck size is too small. All games look the same. It's MTG toolbox pushed too hard. Your deck will perform it's thing every game. At first when I read Lifecoach propaganda on this it seemed appealing. After all there is too much "rng" in Hearthstone no? Let's not compare to HS but compare to the king of hill: MTG instead.
Thing is that when I play a broken combo in MTG I know that my opponent might have a chance to stop what I am doing. At least after sideboarding.

In gwent except for scorch you can't interact with fattys properly. Oh you put queensguard in your grave... yep my deck can't do jack against that (buried alive each game because of hero power... ??). You're gonna reanimate those 4 times in a row and win the game. Awful design.

Could name more examples but you get the idea as the Queensguard thing is the worst of all of it and demonstrate the problem from my point of vue: no interaction aka 2 players playing solitaire.
95% of the deck are the same. Games are boring. Believe it or not but you get bored when everything is the same over and over again (no I don't work at a factory btw). That's what playing against the same 25 cards with eazy muliganning will do to you.
At least Hearthstone has Arena. All those bad players who can't build a deck are punished there unlike in constructed.
And you can pretty much freeroll arena in Hearthstone and that is actually fun (except for the obvious rng over the top effect / 4 flamestrike decks ). Actually you can freeroll arena while being avg by running multiple accounts. You will become good doing that btw :)

But Gwent is perfect for the young generation. You get to emulate your hero on tv (twich) by copying their deck and mindlessly executing the same plan perfectly game after game.

Free drafting in MTGO is was the doctor ordered if that existed :)

If I can suggest something it would be to add sideboarding to gwent if we are to be stuck to play against the "meta"... idiotic concept. At least add some arena of some sort.
There is potential in this game and it was really fun for the first week. Everything was new. The game got old real fast in my case.

I apologize if I offended anyone with my views and I am pretty sure that these are shared.

I am level 20 and rank 1, I have never played ranked before. Do I lose ranks if I lose matches?

Because as a f2p player playing casual I lose a lot, usually I just stick to barely do my tier2 daily rewards in my free time.

Started F2P when the public beta was released, did one (occasionally two) dailies nearly every day and completed all the challenges. My bad luck with legendaries is hilarious, I got one pick-a-legendary on my first day... and that was the only one I ever got.

On the plus side, I got enough cards to build functional spy and consume decks and a few fun silvers. I'm at rank 9 and still doing well. My only complaint is having to run Geralt and Triss in almost every single deck. :confused:

My YouTube channel documents my brother and I's experiences so far: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi4FFhNwL661L35-0d3bWA as does our podcast (Below The Curve Gaming: A Gwent Podcast https://itun.es/gb/EChzkb.c). I managed to get three legendaries in two days from kegs, but that is a fluke. On the podcast I go through your chances of getting commons, rares, epics and legendaries from kegs and we focus exclusively on F2P. Hope you enjoy it and that it helps.

pbsk8;n8907340 said:
I am level 20 and rank 1, I have never played ranked before. Do I lose ranks if I lose matches?

Because as a f2p player playing casual I lose a lot, usually I just stick to barely do my tier2 daily rewards in my free time.

You don't lose ranks during the season. If you reach a rank you stay there even if your MMR is close to zero.

Top Bottom