What is your f2p ranking experience so far?

+
What is your f2p ranking experience so far?

I managed to hit rank 9 about 4 days after starting with Gwent as a completely new player in the OB. I am curious as to how your ranking experience as f2p players was so far. I am certainly not an above average skilled player, but for me it was one of the best experiences, starting with a new CCG (And I've tried most of them: Hearthstone, ESL, Shadowverse etc.).

I see 3 reasons for that:

1. Gwent is still very new, so as a new player, I don't feel like I'm at a disadvantage both in terms of experience and card collection. (Compared to Hearthstone, where a new player with a starter deck could run into me at rank 19, with a top tier deck worth ~10k dust, because I have not been playing for a few months :) ). This aspect is bound to change sooner or later; later if Gwent manages to attract new player even after some time has passed.

2. Gwent's f2p policy. My collection says, I have 185 unique cards, 28 legendaries (including leaders). The fact, that I got 8 legendaries from the start and was able to unlock every leader with the free starter decks is amazing and should be applauded. How many free legendaries did I get in Hearthstone again? Obviously I don't know, how the free content scales with higher levels and how consistent you are able to keep up with the "meta" over time...

3. Gwent's structure. The 2. point is even more important in a game where you only can have 4 legendaries in a deck. The fact that you HAVE four legendaries is more important than to have THE BEST legendaries. Plus, for the most, part the powerful ranked decks are defined by the bronze cards and a few key silvers. I found, that I could put all the important bronze cards in my ST spell deck for example, craft a few necessary silvers and just put in the golds I have and have almost just as much fun as with a top tier ST spell deck with all the best golds. (Compare that to the new quest mechanic in hearthstone). With this deck I was able to get a 10-3-1 w/l ratio on ladder, even with a game lost to disconnect issues.

How was your first week ranked experience? Do you have any advise for me in the future? I am interested.

Attachments

• photo147330.png
    photo147330.png
    608.8 KB · Views: 90
I am rank 10 level 12 coming from CB . Never spent a dime on the game and as a F2P player i can say the devs are generous so far and i hope it wont turn later to a P2W game.

What's interesting about Gwent is that it has Pay 2 Win elements in it but it's also very possible to play it for free and do fine. I have spent nothing on this game and I win more than I lose. I haven't spent a ton of time ranking but my win loss ratio is great. I am close to rank 10 atm and I am confident once I complete a deck that I like and focus on it I will get to a very high rank.

The caveat here is that I am also an experienced closed beta player that started with some extra kegs in open beta. New players in open beta might have a tougher time.

StrykerxS77x;n8817130 said:
The caveat here is that I am also an experienced closed beta player that started with some extra kegs in open beta. New players in open beta might have a tougher time.
The experience is actually quite important, when choosing a card from the kegs. After a few "bad guesses", I was luckily smart enough to look at others opinions first, before choosing a silver or even a gold!

gapaot

Forum veteran
I've never played Gwent, not even in Witcher 3. Heard about open beta, and now playing for a week or so, not every day though. Got from rank 4 to 6, completely f2p playing. I like this game, and while I meet few decks I feel are made with amazing crafted cards worth 6k+ scrap, it's never a complete stomp and I usually can manage at least 1 round win, and if playing properly, win games. With other decks it's very close usually, overall I have about 70% winrate for now, which for me is pretty good considering how much of a noob I am.

Crafted only two bronzes for 60 scrap, saving my mill for patch that will give (if they don't change it) full value for bronze and silvers milling. I'm not a fan of CCG thanks to Heartstone, so Gwent was unexpectedly catching and fun. Hope it'll keep being friendly for new players and provide experienced ones with top ladder matches without souring an experience for either ones.

gapaot;n8817310 said:
saving my mill for patch that will give (if they don't change it) full value for bronze and silvers milling.

I probably should have that that, too... :) I guess I'm not patient enough

gapaot;n8817310 said:
Hope it'll keep being friendly for new players and provide experienced ones with top ladder matches without souring an experience for either ones.

Exactly!

gapaot

Forum veteran
I probably should have that that, too... :) I guess I'm not patient enough
Me too, but I just don't feel confident enough crafting 200 or 800 scrap cards, and so have no need to mill any spares I get, thanks to generous daily rewards. Not to mention I'm not sure how auto-milling works with premium and non-premium cards of the same name, or cards with multiple artworks. And when playing ranked just for fun of it, no pressure with milling and crafting stuff, kegs provide enough material to experiment with decks and different mechanics.

dimikolpa;n8817190 said:
The experience is actually quite important, when choosing a card from the kegs. After a few "bad guesses", I was luckily smart enough to look at others opinions first, before choosing a silver or even a gold!

The most important thing I learned in closed beta is not to mill cards from other factions because I will need them some day. Also knowing what cards to choose and craft is very important as well.

June Patch, the developer just changed milling cost for bronze and silver. You get now 100% more scraps from them. I mean what else do you want? If they were more generous they won't earn any money at all.

Going f2p is good enough for ranked, you should be having a competetive deck in 2-3 weeks. Gwent is very generous with kegs and scaps at the moment. Doing 2 dailies earns a legendary in scraps every 3 days after patch. 12 days is a new set of golds.
Only downside is that with a smaller collection, there is little room for experimentation. Netdecking is a must. But in 2 months you're fine.

Well, I've started to play today, did the tutorial, some challenges, and tried to go pvp. It was a mess, totally steamrolled by people with lots of golden cards even at levels 1-2. I'm planning to be a total f2p, but losing to "high' decks while using the starter ones is not being fun.

By the way, got Vabjorn in my "tutorial keg", is he useful? Is it a good idea to make a deck to put him into?

Lisandre, I'm the most casual of casual players: noob to card games, F2P all the way, and barely complete the first round of dailies for the free keg. I didn't customize the starter decks until I was level 6 or 7, and all the losses taught me the different strategies to use the deck effectively. While I have come up against more seasoned players who have earned/crafted more golds, Gwent's 4-gold limit is a great equalizer. It really is in how you play what you draw.

For picking the fifth card in a deck, there's a card-picker on gwentify(dot)com that will rank the silver or gold cards you identify. I have no idea how updated it is, but it is nice when you know nothing about any cards anyway...

gapaot;n8817310 said:
Crafted only two bronzes for 60 scrap, saving my mill for patch that will give (if they don't change it) full value for bronze and silvers milling. I'm not a fan of CCG thanks to Heartstone, so Gwent was unexpectedly catching and fun. Hope it'll keep being friendly for new players and provide experienced ones with top ladder matches without souring an experience for either ones.

What are you talking about? It doesn't give full value for bronze and silver milling. A 100% increase is a doubling of the value, not more not less.

I've made it to rank 8 so far, win about 55% of the time. Having a blast trying out new deck combos for Monsters. I can't sink as many hours as I would like into the game so grinding out scraps to build the other cards I want is taking quite awhile but I expected that.

I played 2-3 months in Closed Beta and finished in top 1000 without purchasing anything. There is no actual need to buy anything in this game if you don't want to, the only thing you'll miss is you won't have top rank decks in the first weeks, but after you get some scrap, and you craft whatever deck you want, the game is the same for everyone. Just do your dailies (the 6 rounds at least) whenever you can.

Last edited:
XBOX rank 12 level 30. I'm a grinder but have milled 2 factions to get competitive. I've been bouncing around 1800-2200 for a while.....

After the rewards for the closed Beta i had already to the start a full competetive Deck (70% Wr) without spending money so far. And also alot of Cards to build other Meta Decks with just the need to Craft a few Golds. So i can not complain, for new players that start in open Beta it will be hard cause even in low rankings there are alot of Players with full Competetive Decks and everyone have the achievement for rank 15 in closed Beta so they not only just have better cards they are also alot more experienced.

Top Bottom