What is your favorite ending? [SPOILERS]

• Ciri becomes a witcher.

Votes: 158 71.2%
  • Ciri become Empress.

Votes: 51 23.0%
  • Ciri dies.

Votes: 13 5.9%

• Total voters
Just finished game and in my story Ciri becomes Empress. I understand it is not true happy ending, especially for her, but I feel like she was destined to do great things and ruling most powerful empire in the world is just it. World can settle in peace and prosperity . Also I let Radovid be assassinated, Temeria restored, Cerys rules Skellige and Geralt is with Triss.
Well spent 118 hours , with only few contracts and scavenger hunts left. Looking forward for expansions and starting new game in the future after all bugs and glitches are solved.

I think the ending is presented as being deliberately uncomfortable through the depiction of Ciri and Geralt departing forever, for one. This is something which seems to bother people a lot but it seems clear that by "giving" her to the Empire, Geralt is not going to be allowed to see the Empress again. There's no reason why this is given other than the scandal of a dirty witcher seeing the ruler of the World but it's very clearly implied.

C'mon, man, how does that make any sense?

Emhyr: Ciri, you aren't allowed to see that lice-infested Witcher again!
Ciri: <teleports to Geralts and Yens abode>
Emhyr: Well, crap.

Repeat as many times as necessary to make the point to the people who think they can control her.

<edit> Ooops, that was from some pages before I last posted. Anyway, still a major point why Ciri can't be easily isolated and controlled, which should be taken into account when evaluating the endings.

Last edited:
C'mon, man, how does that make any sense?

Emhyr: Ciri, you aren't allowed to see that lice-infested Witcher again!
Ciri: <teleports to Geralts and Yens abode>
Emhyr: Well, crap.

Repeat as many times as necessary to make the point to the people who think they can control her.

Yea, it requires CIRI to believe it's necessary.

Which is hardly the most believable part of this.

But it doesn't bode well for matters.

Yea, it requires CIRI to believe it's necessary.

Which is hardly the most believable part of this.

But it doesn't bode well for matters.

I guess my suspension of disbelief snapped like a dry twig at that scene. It just seemed like such needless melodrama, because not only Ciri has the ability to instantly cross vast distances at will, but Yen (or Triss) can do the very same thing. Visiting is really just a matter of will, not of convenience.

It's the only storytelling moment in Witcher 3 which I think was mishandled by CD Project Red, for cheap drama.

I never got that "BYE FOREVER NOW" thing either. Whether Emhyr is alive or not at the end, Ciri can basically do whatever she wants - including pushing Emhyr out a window by accident and becoming the sole ruler of Nilfgaard. If anything, it would make sense for Yen to become an advisor to Ciri since sorceresses aren't burnt at the stake in Nilfgaard, or at least live very close to her. And then Geralt, regardless if you end up with Yen or Triss or no one, would obviously be allowed to see her. Ciri is EMPRESS, she would not allow Geralt to be barred from her and never see him again. (Plus he wouldn't have to put on fancy clothes or shave for her either. I'm sure he'd be happy to see her while decked out in witcher gear smelling like a swamp whenever he wants.)

I mean, she wouldn't be able to run off and go hunting for a week with him or anything, and they wouldn't be able to see one another as often as they would in the witcher ending, but still. Empress Ciri does what she wants.

Eh, the problem with "She's the Empress!" is that nobility doesn't actually get treated all that well in the Witcherverse.

It's not the ultimate reward sort of thing but kind of a soul-stealing curse.

To each their own, though.

I never got that "BYE FOREVER NOW" thing either. Whether Emhyr is alive or not at the end, Ciri can basically do whatever she wants - including pushing Emhyr out a window by accident and becoming the sole ruler of Nilfgaard. If anything, it would make sense for Yen to become an advisor to Ciri since sorceresses aren't burnt at the stake in Nilfgaard, or at least live very close to her. And then Geralt, regardless if you end up with Yen or Triss or no one, would obviously be allowed to see her. Ciri is EMPRESS, she would not allow Geralt to be barred from her and never see him again. (Plus he wouldn't have to put on fancy clothes or shave for her either. I'm sure he'd be happy to see her while decked out in witcher gear smelling like a swamp whenever he wants.)

I mean, she wouldn't be able to run off and go hunting for a week with him or anything, and they wouldn't be able to see one another as often as they would in the witcher ending, but still. Empress Ciri does what she wants.

Agreed, the Empress Ciri ending for me wasn't too sad because of the whole "bye forever now" thing, which we know isn't true. Do people really think anyone is going to stop Ciri from teleporting to Geralt, Yen, or anyone that she wants to see? Not at all, Empress Ciri does what she wants. Heck, she does what she wants even before being Empress, giving her more power just means she'll do it more often.

The only reason it was sad for me was because Ciri said on an occasion or two that she'd like to be in those taverns drinking, and going on adventures, sort of like the Witchers life. The Empress Ciri ending for me is the "Using her power for the greater good" ending, but not the "personal happiness for Ciri or Geralt" ending. I truly think Ciri would be happier being a Witcher, rather than having to meddle in politics.

Agreed, the Empress Ciri ending for me wasn't too sad because of the whole "bye forever now" thing, which we know isn't true. Do people really think anyone is going to stop Ciri from teleporting to Geralt, Yen, or anyone that she wants to see? Not at all, Empress Ciri does what she wants. Heck, she does what she wants even before being Empress, giving her more power just means she'll do it more often.

The only reason it was sad for me was because Ciri said on an occasion or two that she'd like to be in those taverns drinking, and going on adventures, sort of like the Witchers life. The Empress Ciri ending for me is the "Using her power for the greater good" ending, but not the "personal happiness for Ciri or Geralt" ending.

The game is very clear Ciri is CHOOSING that she will never see her parents again. Probably as part of whatever deal she cut with Emhyr.

So it's not that she is being forced.

She's just believing that giving up those she loves is part of the package deal. Which it probably is because being an Empress is about her killing what's joyous in herself for the greater good.

Last edited:
The game is very clear Ciri is CHOOSING that she will never see her parents again. Probably as part of whatever deal she cut with Emhyr.

The game specifically says Ciri will never see Yen or Geralt ever again if she becomes Empress? When does it do that? I don't recall it being said during the ending. Refresh my memory?

On my playthrough I got the Witcher ending, I just watched on Youtube the Empress ending so maybe I missed that part.

I just don't recall anywhere that choosing to be Empress means she's giving up the right to see Yen or Geralt ever again.

Last edited:
I just don't recall anywhere that choosing to be Empress means she's giving up the right to see Yen or Geralt ever again.
I couldn't find evidence of this either but I could have missed something. However her being the Empress and therefore the most powerful woman in the world politically (not to mention her actual abilities) I'm pretty sure she could see whoever she wanted when she wanted.

I couldn't find evidence of this either but I could have missed something. However her being the Empress and therefore the most powerful woman in the world politically (not to mention her actual abilities) I'm pretty sure she could see whoever she wanted when she wanted.

That's what I'm thinking too. We know she meets with Emhyr but I don't think the details are ever specifically spilled about her not being able to see Geralt or Yen, or anything about that conversation other than we know Emhyr agreed to make her Empress when the time comes.

In light of that, I just can't buy the "it's goodbye forever" argument for that ending. If she's Empress and the most powerful woman in the world, she can see who she wants.

I also don't believe Emhyr so much agreed to make her Empress in exchange for something as much as he just wanted her to step in so he could abdicate and keep his legacy and bloodline on Nilfgaard's throne. Given the conversation with Voorhis in Novigrad, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for vassals not aligned with Emhyr's interests to attempt to prop Ciri on the throne themselves, and dispose of Emhyr that way. Emhyr is obviously aware of this and the easiest way to avoid bloodshed is simply to put his daughter on the throne.

I also don't believe Emhyr so much agreed to make her Empress in exchange for something as much as he just wanted her to step in so he could abdicate and keep his legacy and bloodline on Nilfgaard's throne. Given the conversation with Voorhis in Novigrad, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for vassals not aligned with Emhyr's interests to attempt to prop Ciri on the throne themselves, and dispose of Emhyr that way. Emhyr is obviously aware of this and the easiest way to avoid bloodshed is simply to put his daughter on the throne.

Exactly I agree with you, and we also have to remember that Emhyr would also harbor a lot of goodwill towards Geralt, because after all, Geralt did track her down and find her for him just like he asked. Because of that Emhyr should be forever grateful and would definitely allow Ciri to see Geralt when she wanted to. That's even more reason why I don't buy the "It's goodbye forever" feel of the Empress ending. Is there uncertainty with Ciri wondering when she'll see Geralt again? Sure, but not enough to have to seem like they'll never see each other again.

• RED Point
Reactions: lwp

Historically, this has never been the case.

but then again, most monarchs can't teleport.

---------- Updated at 06:06 AM ----------

Exactly I agree with you, and we also have to remember that Emhyr would also harbor a lot of goodwill towards Geralt, because after all, Geralt did track her down and find her for him just like he asked. Because of that Emhyr should be forever grateful and would definitely allow Ciri to see Geralt when she wanted to. That's even more reason why I don't buy the "It's goodbye forever" feel of the Empress ending. Is there uncertainty with Ciri wondering when she'll see Geralt again? Sure, but not enough to have to seem like they'll never see each other again.

I'm not trying to dissuade you but my impression of Emhyrs is that he resents Geralt. If nothing else, Geralt is the "other man" in Ciri's life, except it's not Ciri's lover but the fact that Geralt is Ciri's other father and arguably her true one. There's a strong sense that Emyrhs wants Geralt to bring Ciri back because he wants to set things to their "proper" course and the only people who seem to be able to do that are Geralt and Yennefer. Maybe it's Charles Dance's performance but he just seemed to ooze contempt for my Geralt and frequently threatened him.

There's also the fact Emryhs speaks to Geralt as a paid employee and not like he's trying to rescue someone as direly important to him as, well, anyone.

I'm not trying to dissuade you but my impression of Emhyrs is that he resents Geralt. If nothing else, Geralt is the "other man" in Ciri's life, except it's not Ciri's lover but the fact that Geralt is Ciri's other father and arguably her true one. There's a strong sense that Emyrhs wants Geralt to bring Ciri back because he wants to set things to their "proper" course and the only people who seem to be able to do that are Geralt and Yennefer. Maybe it's Charles Dance's performance but he just seemed to ooze contempt for my Geralt and frequently threatened him.

There's also the fact Emryhs speaks to Geralt as a paid employee and not like he's trying to rescue someone as direly important to him as, well, anyone.

I can see that point of view as well actually, I guess it could go both ways. In the end I don't see Ciri as being someone that can be controlled by either Geralt or Emhyr. If Ciri wants to see Geralt, she's going to do it.

Yeah, I mean, what exactly is Emhyr going to do about it when Ciri goes see Yen and Geralt against his will, after he already has abdicated the throne and made Ciri the new empress? Abdicating the throne is not exactly something which he can simply take back in a fit of pique.

Yeah, what exactly is Emhyr going to do after he already has abdicated the throne and made Ciri the new empress? It's not exactly something which he can take back in a fit of pique.

I can't help but think Emhyr is planning to be the Hand of the King....

Which, ironically, does make the Empress ending more funny given Ciri is not very good at being a puppet.

I can't help but think Emhyr is planning to be the Hand of the King....

Which, ironically, does make the Empress ending more funny given Ciri is not very good at being a puppet.

Which is exactly why I find the worries that he'll manipulate Ciri not very convincing. ^^

The Empress ending seemed the best to me. It's really in the spirit of the franchise (bitter-sweet) and it's really the "responsible" thing from Ciri to do, and I have a feeling that her character would realize that it's nice and dandy to go and fuck around but that leading the people of the most populous and powerful nation might seem the best way to help, the fix all the wrong doings she saw. Just remember how many times Ciri had to face or see non-humans,witchers, mages and the poor ones suffer... This way she could try to fix it all. However if she went with Geralt hunting around both of them would still see the world broken and just try to forget about it.

I mean do we really want her to end up being like Geralt?

The Empress ending seemed the best to me. It's really in the spirit of the franchise (bitter-sweet) and it's really the "responsible" thing from Ciri to do, and I have a feeling that her character would realize that it's nice and dandy to go and fuck around but that leading the people of the most populous and powerful nation might seem the best way to help, the fix all the wrong doings she saw. Just remember how many times Ciri had to face or see non-humans,witchers, mages and the poor ones suffer... This way she could try to fix it all. However if she went with Geralt hunting around both of them would still see the world broken and just try to forget about it.

I dunno, dude. The richest wealthiest people in the world seem like an odd choice of people to help over the poor, downtrodden, and helpless.

I also think Ciri has done enough for the world.

The Nilfgaard can take responsibility for their own actions.

---------- Updated at 11:21 AM ----------

Which is exactly why I find the worries that he'll manipulate Ciri not very convincing. ^^

I'm hoping they'll declare his assassination non-canon and he'll be the villain in Witcher 4: The Search for More Orens.

---------- Updated at 11:22 AM ----------

Video game Geralt is a lot better off than Book Geralt.

Top Bottom