What is your job?

+
waitress and full-time A level student doing Economics, History and Psychology in a grammar school, hoping to do Psychology at uni ;)

Graduated from McGill university, major in Political Science and minor in History.
Private tutor, work with a tutor institute, volunteer at Greenpeace, work with a student organization I co-founded though I'm going to leave it.
Will pursue Masters at HEC in international economics and be research assistant in January.

I'm currently studying philosophy in university. Studied one year film science. My passion in life is video games and story telling, and I'm hoping to combine my two passions and do that shit for a living.

WOW so many higher education members here ! Kinda makes me humble in comparison . That`s alright though ...i like humble .
Been an auto mechanic and farm and factory worker all my working life . Currently working in an auto manufacturing facility for the past 17 years and previous to that i made drill bits for 15 years .

I spend a LOT of hours here on the forum when i`m not working trying to help people that are having issues with both Witcher games . Let`s just say that i`m far enough along that i can start thinking about life after work after which i`ll gladly hang up my steel-toed shoes , Kevlar sleeves and gloves , hard hat , safety glasses , safety lock , and ear plugs and leave it in your capable hands !

Youtube Commentator.

Before anyone laughs let me point out that there are people who earn tens of thousands of dollars each month from this and working from home with a salary that is directly influenced by how well I do my job is something I never want to move away from if I can.

There's one thing I learned the hard way: Higher education matters shit when getting a job Tommy. So I wouldn't be ashamed of not having a degree if I were in your shoes.

CostinMoroianu said:
There's one thing I learned the hard way: Higher education matters shit when getting a job Tommy. So I wouldn't be ashamed of not having a degree if I were in your shoes.

Exactly. As much as I love science, I have no illusions about getting a regular job anywhere outside a lab. Not to mention any practical use of my possible knowledge.

CostinMoroianu said:
Oh i`m not . I knew before i graduated high school that i wasn`t college bound and had no desire to be . However i would ask to you question me on it after i pull an 11 hour shift and i would gladly tell you different . All in all though i`m perfectly content with being a blue collar worker .

Hmm never knew one could make money off YouTube . Seems i learn something different nearly every day .

CostinMoroianu said:
Youtube Commentator.

Before anyone laughs let me point out that there are people who earn tens of thousands of dollars each month from this and working from home with a salary that is directly influenced by how well I do my job is something I never want to move away from if I can.

BAHAHAHAHA YOUTUBE COMMENTATOR BLLLLAAAAAHAHAHA! That's not even a real job!! Aaaaaahahahahaaaa!

Ehem, seriously though, I've been doing my own commentaries and videos for quite some time now, they're all shit, but it's fun to do. I did apply for partnership but they told me to go fuck myself. Rightly so, I'm not unique in anyway. So yeah, I know that a lot of work goes into making videos. So keep up the work bro, much luck with future videos and projects.

And just a disclaimer to everyone here: Don't let anyone belittle or undermine what you do for a living. As long as what you're doing is quality shit and contributing to the betterment of society in general, you should be proud of yourself.

Personally, I've never had a job. A mix between a lack of self confidence, pure malevolent hatred of humans (I really don't like to interact with other sentient beings) laziness and I guess being an idiot, or as it's known by the general public: incompetents. Maybe that last part has to do with my shitty confidence? I don't know. I'm hoping however to work with something creative. I want to write. I love telling stories and seeing people light up and be interested and inspire them and etc etc. So if I could do that through written form, or by designing games, or making movies, whatever. Then that's what I wanna do.

Tommy said:
WOW so many higher education members here ! Kinda makes me humble in comparison . That`s alright though ...i like humble .
I have two doctoral degrees, Tommy, and I can tell you that I respect you a lot more than I respect some of my colleagues who have lots of diplomas but not one-tenth your kindness.

KnightofPhoenix said:
It's overrated, unless you know exactly what you want from it.
I believe you to be right about that . I work side by side with college grads who are doing the exact same thing i am . I have asked them why are you here with a college degree and generally they have no definitive answer .

Tommy said:
.... after which i`ll gladly hang up my steel-toed shoes , Kevlar sleeves and gloves , hard hat , safety glasses , safety lock , and ear plugs and leave it in your capable hands !

One wonders what Geralt would make of a Health & Safety Officer suggesting he should be wearing safety glasses, florescent jacket and a hard hat on the job.

Freesia said:
I´m a student of plant biology.

And by the way, bio-engineering sounds great.

It is quite fascinating discipline, but not as high in numbers as other engineering disciplines, although I hope that recent steam cell related discoveries will change that. In addition, to find a job, I might need to leave Chicago for Boston (longer winters andliving is more expensive) or California (hot and living is more expensive).

Freesia said:
Been an auto mechanic and farm and factory worker all my working life . Currently working in an auto manufacturing facility for the past 17 years and previous to that i made drill bits for 15 years .

I spend a LOT of hours here on the forum when i`m not working trying to help people that are having issues with both Witcher games . Let`s just say that i`m far enough along that i can start thinking about life after work after which i`ll gladly hang up my steel-toed shoes , Kevlar sleeves and gloves , hard hat , safety glasses , safety lock , and ear plugs and leave it in your capable hands !

I am from blue collar family too, and my father's career is actually very similar to yours. Being able to dedicate yourself and work hard is much more important than many degrees.

Freesia said:
It's overrated, unless you know exactly what you want from it.

Agree. The most important things employers are looking for are ability to work hard, reliability, and some valuable experiences. Few careers demand specific education.

Recently finished school (12th' class). On Wednesday I'm about to be recruited to the army. I'm being checked for several roles, which naturally, I can't specify (god, I have waited my entire childhood to say that). If I'll get the position I wish for (and I will like it after 3 years of compulsory service)- I guess I'll stay for permanent service (3-5 years of additional service). If I won't get that position or I won't like it- I'll try and get to medical school.I know this topic is about what people do, while I write about things that I WILL do, but still...-Sorry for my English-

Tommy said:
I believe you to be right about that . I work side by side with college grads who are doing the exact same thing i am . I have asked them why are you here with a college degree and generally they have no definitive answer .

I lost half a year because I wanted to do grad school in Islamic history but then figured it would be utterly useless to me (the field is already saturated considering the small funding it gets in NA. That and my priorities shifted). This half a year lost was worth it as I redirected my focus on something more useful and now I think I have a pretty good idea what I want from it (academia and / or research and / or work with Canadian government. Very interrelated).

The trick really is knowing where you are headed and having a focus. Many people very late in their degree (myself included for my BA), do not know what they want to do.

That and of course universities do not promote certain skills, attitudes and methodology for a professional environment, it's the kind of thing you need to learn the hard way.

CostinMoroianu said:
Youtube Commentator.

Wait a minute, how the hell do you make a living from this? What is your job description?

As for me, I'm in the wrong side of the art industry. The side that offers no creative freedom and basically sucks ass.

Currently a student at University of Otago.
Studying BSc, major in Computer Science, minor in Mathematics.
My final exams start this week, and if all goes well I will graduate in December. Then I will have to find a job.

Top Bottom