What is your take on the gaming industry?

+
People are so much more oriented to playing video games now that it's hard to make a game that feels new and stays entertaining for a while. It's why there's a lot of competitive multiplayer and large open world games, which keeps your interest much longer. My biggest complaint of games today is that they don't take risks as in implementing mature themes like sex, racism, and controversial topics, although there are a few games that have these. I just there were more games like the original Fallout where the world is extremely dark and you felt like you were the only one who could do good in the world.

People are so much more oriented to playing video games now that it's hard to make a game that feels new and stays entertaining for a while. It's why there's a lot of competitive multiplayer and large open world games, which keeps your interest much longer. My biggest complaint of games today is that they don't take risks as in implementing mature themes like sex, racism, and controversial topics, although there are a few games that have these. I just there were more games like the original Fallout where the world is extremely dark and you felt like you were the only one who could do good in the world.

That's one of the things I liked the most about Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and The Witcher -- they weren't afraid to take themselves seriously while also creating some qualified humor (as opposed to being silly or just ridiculous).

I think we'll see a rash of cool titles in the next 5 or so years. Especially from indie devs. People always want new and creative stuff. The only thing that ever changes in that department is when a specific formula really gets its claws into people. Then, the mass market is willing to put up with 500 me-too titles simply because they mant mo'.

The triple A lootbox model is worrying but great to know companies like CDPR still fight in our corner. Temptation must be massive though...

Very few houses I respect Warhorse Studios and couple of others. EA, Activision, BIoware,Bethesda, Ubisoft and the rest are [...}, reasons are well known.

The industry is in this case because you guys allow it supporting it, and most of their founds go into marketing.

Post edited. -Drac

Last edited by a moderator:

isnt EA doing all kind of controversial topics. It fits to their nature.

I have to say, I am even more disappointed by indie developers than by the major powerhouses. Especially those who are crowdfunding their games.

Whereas the powerhouses tend to release some scandalous flop every now and then, I feel like the indies are only releasing scandalous flops, with a decent game every now and then.

CDPR is the happy exception (or was back when it was super indie), but pretty much every indie development I've followed turned into a major disappointment. Maybe except that Torment game.

Guest 3847602

Very long, but interesting video about GaaS and why this business model is technically a fraud:

I have to say, I am even more disappointed by indie developers than by the major powerhouses. Especially those who are crowdfunding their games.

Whereas the powerhouses tend to release some scandalous flop every now and then, I feel like the indies are only releasing scandalous flops, with a decent game every now and then.

CDPR is the happy exception (or was back when it was super indie), but pretty much every indie development I've followed turned into a major disappointment. Maybe except that Torment game.

I think many people don't fully appreciate the complexity involved in bringing even a very simple game to market. For teams of less than 10 people to be accomplishing what they are (despite the bugs and problems) is pretty impressive. Are there companies that will try to take advantage? Sure, but I'd argue they're a massive minority. Not having the expertise needed to completely polish every issue, or creating situations that cannot be fixed, is very different that intentionally being lazy about known issues.

Businesses live by their reputation. There aren't many people willing to intentionally throw their hard work and effort away because they "don't want to be bothered" doing a good job anymore. Again, extremely rare. I find most indie devs to be really driven and quite talented. The final products can often be flawed, is all.

I think many people don't fully appreciate the complexity involved in bringing even a very simple game to market. For teams of less than 10 people to be accomplishing what they are (despite the bugs and problems) is pretty impressive. Are there companies that will try to take advantage? Sure, but I'd argue they're a massive minority. Not having the expertise needed to completely polish every issue, or creating situations that cannot be fixed, is very different that intentionally being lazy about known issues.

Businesses live by their reputation. There aren't many people willing to intentionally throw their hard work and effort away because they "don't want to be bothered" doing a good job anymore. Again, extremely rare. I find most indie devs to be really driven and quite talented. The final products can often be flawed, is all.

You must have misread me, because I never implied that anyone is "taking advantage" or "intentionally being lazy".

All I'm saying is, in my opinion, indies are flopping more often than not. And crowdfunding in particular seems to be - again, in my opinion - a model that tends to lead to disappointing results.

There is no doubt that making games is hard and it's very easy to get lost. After all, even huge studios with hundreds of employees can fail at it. So for sure, it's super difficult for small teams, no matter how talented they may be. One error in judgement early on in the process can branch out into a million problems later on down the line.

All I'm saying is, I'd sure love it if there were more games coming out these days that actually delivered on their promises and that were actually enjoyable to play.

Games as service, microtransactions, identity politics, Epic Store. The future doens't look good. I believe the gaming industry will have a massive crisis until 2020. CDPR is one of the few good publishers left.
This about sums it up. It seems a number of shitty business practices and other unmentionables have snaked their way into this industry and once again we need CDPR to set an example. One partial exception being Ubisoft. It's my opinion that CDPR have been very influential to Ubisoft's latest round of changes they've made to the AC series. from adding in RPG elements to copying the free DLC/expansion program of TW3.

You must have misread me, because I never implied that anyone is "taking advantage" or "intentionally being lazy".

All I'm saying is, in my opinion, indies are flopping more often than not. And crowdfunding in particular seems to be - again, in my opinion - a model that tends to lead to disappointing results.

There is no doubt that making games is hard and it's very easy to get lost. After all, even huge studios with hundreds of employees can fail at it. So for sure, it's super difficult for small teams, no matter how talented they may be. One error in judgement early on in the process can branch out into a million problems later on down the line.

All I'm saying is, I'd sure love it if there were more games coming out these days that actually delivered on their promises and that were actually enjoyable to play.

That's exactly what I'm addressing. Most businesses, in any industry, will "flop". At least with things like crowd-funding, indie developers are able to get at least a shot at fulfilling their visions. Using traditional investment methods, it's almost impossible for for the vast majority to get even that far.

As for "living up to all the promises" -- that will almost never pan out. And they're not "promises"; they're plans. Huge difference. There's a gigantic variance between having a dream, and actually being able to realize it in a practical way. Life will rarely cooperate. Most of the time, people that set out on these crowd-funded ventures have absolutely no practical experience in the fields they're attempting to deliver on. Mistakes will be made. Plans will need to change. Part of the learning process.

Hand-in-hand with that is the understanding that buying into a Kickstarter or Patreon venture is not "making a purchase". It's an investment. There is absolutely no guarantee that any investment will see any return whatsoever. Sometimes it works. Mostly, it wont. That's the risk people always take when investing. The great thing about crowd-funding. Is that people aren't forced to buy actual stocks, and there are no "big investors" that will be calling the shots. It's mostly payments of <$20. Now, it's up to supporters to invest wisely. (If something sounds too good to be true...guess what, probably?)

Responsibility for any upset is on the supporters, not the devs. (Regardless of arguing any form of principle on the issue...that's simply not the way business works.) Any production is going to see things cut. In any industry. Only once in a great while is a production going to hit every mark it sets its sights on. Supporters need to make investments with realistic expectations and an understanding of what a studio is likely to face. Anything else is virtually guaranteed to result in disappointment and frustration. There's no compensation if an investment doesn't pan out the way this or that supporter would have preferred.

Three key words: Online, Mobile, Subscription

Companies need you to spend more time on-platform and in-game in order to be able to monitize you effectively. The mobile market is massive because most casual gamers (sheep) spend all their waking hours on their phones. It is a gold mine, and all the major companies are obviously eager to conquer a large share of that market. Companies wants you to become a subscriber as well, given that it's more profitable to have recurring subscribers than to have customers that only buy games every now and then.

The games as a service model was born.

There is a very deliberate push to make gaming more available to the general public as well, and that is also why we see an effort to make games more accessible and appealing to the masses. Companies obviously wants to grow so that they can make shareholders happy (and pay millions in bonuses to suits/execs).

In conclusion it doesn't look good with regards to the AAA industry, simply because the incentives are misaligned. The most profitable games are Mobile games, Looter/Shooters and Battle Royal games. Well, then that is what we'll get more of, and NOT immersive singleplayer story driven games (one & done, too risky, marginal profit).

These major gaming companies are grooming the next generation of gamers. These kids will listen to grandpa tell them stories about what it was like to play games alone in a virtual world, where there were no other players around. They will also be puzzled by the fact that you couldn't use real money to buy all kinds of stupid shit for your character.

Last edited:
It has been already said but the biggest problem right now with video games is that it has become a mainstream form of entertainment and as such a major source of income potential. I have 30+ years of gaming life and when games first started it was all about fun and developers where trying to make something they wanted to play and would enjoy. In so doing they created some of the greatest games I ever played the legend of Zelda , dragon warrior, street fighter II, Virtual fighter the list goes on and on down the line. Now it seems game development is more about chasing the next trend or what will bring in the most profit. There are still a few developers out there more concerned about the game they are making instead of what the game will make but not many.

This is why the overall industry while at it's peak is dying and finding a good game gets harder and harder. So when you do find a gem appreciate it and play it till your hands get sore. Whether it is on PC XBOX ,PS4 or your mobile phone.

The good thing about all of this is everything goes in cycles so the gaming industry needs to die if only for a little bit so it can be reborn. My only concern is that I may not be around to see the next rebirth of gaming. But man has it been a fun ride

I still appreciate few companies around there (CDPR, From Software, Piranha Bytes (it doesn't matter that more than 50% of their games are thrash, they just won't give up on the "buggy" fightning system that makes them unique)) and some random indie games really do make an impressive job (Kenshi, Psychonauts, Outward to name a few off the top).

The thing I dislike the most is people praising games that usually have some pretty big flaws (Fallout 3 was way softer than old games, and way easier; without mods there is no point in playing it. Skyrim is just a dumpster fire that people who adore dragons are gonna instantly love it; let's be realistic, a yeti is stronger than what, 50% of dragons? Not to even mention easily leveling up by exploiting many of the skills in the game right from the start; they didn't even fix the same old exploits oblivion had). I think there is little room for progress if people are going to continue praising semi bad games which just leads to more bad games. Just to think I once had respect for Blizzard, and look at them now, haven't made a good game (or expansion) in many years (excluding SC2; I never played it so can't comment on that. Everything else since Burning Legion WOW is just sad...)

I no longer declare myself as a gamer cause I only get hyped for like one game per year or less.

I still appreciate few companies around there (CDPR, From Software, Piranha Bytes (it doesn't matter that more than 50% of their games are thrash, they just won't give up on the "buggy" fightning system that makes them unique)) and some random indie games really do make an impressive job (Kenshi, Psychonauts, Outward to name a few off the top).

The thing I dislike the most is people praising games that usually have some pretty big flaws (Fallout 3 was way softer than old games, and way easier; without mods there is no point in playing it. Skyrim is just a dumpster fire that people who adore dragons are gonna instantly love it; let's be realistic, a yeti is stronger than what, 50% of dragons? Not to even mention easily leveling up by exploiting many of the skills in the game right from the start; they didn't even fix the same old exploits oblivion had). I think there is little room for progress if people are going to continue praising semi bad games which just leads to more bad games. Just to think I once had respect for Blizzard, and look at them now, haven't made a good game (or expansion) in many years (excluding SC2; I never played it so can't comment on that. Everything else since Burning Legion WOW is just sad...)

I no longer declare myself as a gamer cause I only get hyped for like one game per year or less.

Heh heh heh... I sympathize with this, but I'm just getting old. I can't remember the last time I was "hyped" for anything. Nowadays, I mostly stare critically at the stuff I know will likely be an issue. Once in a while, a title will make me go "Hm!" Occassionally, I pick something up, and it completely blows me away (like TW3). It's a nice way to live, actually. Very few nasty surprises, almost no disappointment, and occasionally really awesome surprises!

Frankly, I'm not sure how so many people are so misled by things. I remember being very interested in the development of No Man's Sky, but when the game released without any new gameplay footage to publicize it? Ahhh...that was neon writing in the dark. Call of Duty WWII: all I needed to see was the train-wreck bit to understand that no...no...this was not a return to the roots. The Star Wars Battlefront reboot offering only basic maps and gameplay modes compared to the 2005 Battlefront II? Didn't even need to see gameplay to figure out exactly where that was headed.

Then there's the other tendency -- to hold really good stuff up to unreasonable expectations. I'll call M&B2: Bannerlord right now: It's going to be the mechanics we know and love, but it's not going to be the revolutionary step forward that many people are expecting. It will largely be more of the same, if perhaps polished up a bit with a few, cool new features. Nothing that will leave fans of the series staring agape, though. And, it will be buggy as all @#$!ng #@$%. M&B games are always loaded with bugs. (I'm looking forward to it! :))

The biggest developers customers aren't gamers, but investors. Thus their focus is misdirected, leading to micro-transactions, lootboxes and other stuff.

As long as the developer/publisher is independent, there's a chance they'll make great games.

As long as the developer/publisher is independent, there's a chance they'll make great games.

True, but the situation is growing increasingly worse. Nasty publishers with deep pockets like MS are swallowing good independent studios. Compulsion, Obsidian, inXile, Double Fine. Who is next?

True, but the situation is growing increasingly worse. Nasty publishers with deep pockets like MS are swallowing good independent studios. Compulsion, Obsidian, inXile, Double Fine. Who is next?
Hmm... I don't think I'd call Microsoft a "nasty publisher." Certainly not when it has such stiff competition for that title. As far as I can tell, they've actually been pretty hands-off with the studios they've snapped up. They just want good games for their console so they can finally compete with Sony (probably next generation, but hopefully a few neat games for Xbox/PC players before then, too).

Top Bottom