What is your take on the gaming industry?

+
Gamesindustry has become too business oriented. And the sought out ever widening audiences bloat costs, kill creativity and lead to homogenization of the games, that in turn have to get watered down mechanically and put too much focus on superficialities like visual fidelity and cinematics to gather the needed massappeal to cover the costs of making the game. It's a problem that feeds itself and gets worse all the time.

Generally speaking.

They might not be the worst, but it's still MS we are talking about. They are still heavily bent on lock-in. I'll agree that they are not nasty, if we'll see Linux games continuing to come out (DRM-free) from the studios that they swallowed. All I mentioned above made Linux games. If they'll stop, it will demonstrate my point above.

MS might claim they "love Linux" these days, but their actions when it comes to gaming speak otherwise.

They might not be the worst, but it's still MS we are talking about. They are as sick heavily bent on lock-in. I'll agree that they are not nasty, when we'll see Linux gaming continuing to come out from the studios that they swallowed. All I mentioned above made Linux games. If they'll stop, it will demonstrate my point above.
I get you now. Yeah, we'll have to wait and see I suppose.

Until recently it was pure exploitation, but I think the trend is near over as companies are slowly feeling the financial and reputation based burn of decades of consumer exploitation. Games like Cyberpunk and Star Citizen are going to set the bar for the next generation of games. Our generation experienced the birth of games and also their very worst. Our children will witness games maturing. If humanity survives the next 20 years, gaming will be a wonderful thing for them and their children.

Several posts have been deleted because of users ignoring a simple forum rule we have:

In particular, it is prohibited to:

write about political and world-view topics; this does not apply to discussions about topics connected with the worlds depicted in the CDPR products

From now on, such posts will be followed by deletions + infractions and thread might get locked.

Choice is yours.

Poor with a lot of shit games ( 80% ) out there and halve released one so they can sell you dlc to grab even more money .
Not speaking of the quality or in-depth of a game .
Poew poew poew upgrade poew poew poew upgrade .
Level 2 ;
Poew poew poew and poew poew upgrade you won .

Ya, there are very few developers I trust these days. Ubisoft, EA, and Activision are developers that when they release something, I'm immediately looking for the angle they're using to try to screw me over. Which features did they leave out of the game (multi gpu support, hdr, etc.), does it have microtransactions (basically an incomplete game), how bad is the performance, etc. EA and Activision I pretty much just don't buy their games anymore. A purchase from Ubisoft is rare these days - I think I've bought maybe two games from them in the last 3-4 years and I regretted both purchases.

I had tons of faith in Rocksteady as a developer until they screwed me with Arkham Knight's awful quality release (and never did get multi gpu support working) - that one taught me to never ever pre-order. So nowadays I confirm feature support via Steam messageboards before pulling the trigger on any and all purchases - things such as multi gpu support, game quality, hdr, etc. and make sure they are in-game and functional before I buy.

Honestly, gaming these days is a sad state of affairs. I could also get into the game journalism angle which is just as bad, but that would likely take us into the political arena and get the thread shut down. :D

Agree with you on most of your points. For me recent games seem to lack the charm and magic that the older ones had (even if they weren't super polished for instance) Of course, there are still great games coming out, but in the AAA space most of them just don't have that feeling anymore. It's interesting that 7 out of 8 of my all time favorite games were released before 2009. (The only recent game in that list of mine is Red Dead Redemption 2)
I think this is because of changing trends and due to gaming becoming much more popular in recent times. The audience has increased and been diluted, leading to a lot of mainstream games feeling soulless, designed to appeal to the largest number of people.

Top Bottom