What Keeps you Playing?

+
Caveat : The spoiler tag includes big story spoilers, don't look if you haven't finished yet, I mean it!

I've only just finished my first playthrough this past week on Death March and what can I say, I loved every minute. I struggled to have time to play as much as I wanted to but in a way it made me appreciate it so much more. I felt by actually spending a long time IRL completing the game made it feel even more epic because the search to find Ciri
and eventually finding her felt like no other game before because I felt like I really had been searching for her for an entire year almost, there was palpable relief when I found her. Now having finished, I got the Ciri as a witcher ending and me ending up with yennefer living out my years relaxing taking up contracts I feel like I'm merely continuing the story ending. I roam around chatting to people, playing gwent, taking in the scenery and helping people when the mood strikes me as I feel Geralt would in this ending scenario so it fits perfectly for me. Also I did end up rushing the end parts ignoring some side quests because I got caught up in the main story, did all the major side quests though and now I feel free of the pressure to find Ciri and fight the hunt and can relax with all the amazing side quests and give them the time they deserve. That's why I keep playing :D

Google Translator sucks dogs balls! (As some old pal might say) But I think I got the meaning and yeah, I agree with you! LOL

Witcher 3 Got amazing. Level designer needs to be delivered the prize - Designer of the Year 2015 !!!

The game was released so atmospheric that in the process it seems that watching the film (by the way, sometimes my colleague was asking what's the movie are watching))))

I think that your company could release a new game - The Witcher Trilogy, i.e. on this engine to reprint the previous version of the game "The Witcher", and those who did not play the old version of the beautiful game, will be able to consistently read the entire history of the Herald)) I'm sure there will be a lot of those who want to buy Trilogy. By the way, I recently bought a new Witcher 1 Steam (before I had it on disk) played a little .... really miss her modern graphics, and combat system inconvenient (I even forgot how it was =)

the expansion is what made me come back. the following is reasons that drove me away from the game for awhile:

- lack of armor diversity, 90% armor is useless once you picked the witcher set that compliments your build
- swords are almost all useless and only good for breaking down or selling
- it is hurricane season all year round
- big world map but only several points of interest, exploring becomes repetitive
- the same 4 or 5 villager faces everywhere

What keeps me playing Witcher 3? Well, Witcher 3. :happy: Thanks devs for making a great game! :respect:

Currently on first playthrough. 340 fun hours and counting.

I've had the game since launch and I'm only on my second playtrhough; I like to take it slow. My first one took 2 or 3 months to complete and I finished the main quests on my second one not long ago and am currently doing the HoS expansion.

Sometimes I play for days then when I get bored I stop playing for 1-2 week then when I play again I "rediscover" the beauty and immersion of the game.

What keeps me playing? Everything about this game .... Best game I have ever played and I have been playing games for over 25 years ..... Nothing comes close to this ....

I have to agree with you...It's a masterpiece. I so much would like to see a sci-fi based RPG with the gravitas of W3....;) Seems like a grand idea but so far no one has attempted it--CDPR could pull it off.

Anyway, when I'm in a territory in W3 I make it a point to do every quest/secondary/contract there is to be done in that territory before I leave it (corresponding roughly to my present level, of course)--and in the doing I pick up still more secondaries and contracts...and discover things that link to the main story in intriguing and satisfying ways.

It starts slow as the first territory is really the game's tutorial...but after that the game is just jaw-dropping amazing. I like other games, of course, and some other types of games, too--but W3 has set the bar for CRPG's to new heights. Great, great game. No one should be in a hurry to "get through" this game as you'll miss a fair amount of the game's beautiful content. Definitely, this is a game to be savored!

I have to agree with you...It's a masterpiece. I so much would like to see a sci-fi based RPG with the gravitas of W3....;) Seems like a grand idea but so far no one has attempted it--CDPR could pull it off.

Anyway, when I'm in a territory in W3 I make it a point to do every quest/secondary/contract there is to be done in that territory before I leave it (corresponding roughly to my present level, of course)--and in the doing I pick up still more secondaries and contracts...and discover things that link to the main story in intriguing and satisfying ways.

It starts slow as the first territory is really the game's tutorial...but after that the game is just jaw-dropping amazing. I like other games, of course, and some other types of games, too--but W3 has set the bar for CRPG's to new heights. Great, great game. No one should be in a hurry to "get through" this game as you'll miss a fair amount of the game's beautiful content. Definitely, this is a game to be savored!

This is exactly how I feel about this game , I take my time doing everything ... There has been some awesome games lately and GTA V comes to mind ... But there is something special about W3 that makes it much more than a game. The only way I can describe it is that you play a best seller novel. You care about the characters , you care about your reputation in the world , you care about the quests and their effects on the world. The world CDPR portrayed fits perfectly into the story and you get the sense that CDPR did not just "get" the world created by the books ,they added to it asif they wrote their own book. This is honestly the first game I have ever played that made me buy the books , made me get into the lore , made me walk around looking at the world instead of running to the next marker. There are so many good things about this game that it will take me hours to write it all down Lol ...

This is the best game I've ever played! I know that, 'cause this is the only game that I'm going to play third time, or fourth, or... In a row. I played Witcher 2 two times. I just had to see both of those questlines.

Where should I start? There is so much everything I love in this game. Huge, beautiful open world, where is so much details. Different kind of birds singing in the woods, weather changes, beautiful sunrises and nightskyes, wildlife, whales... Those geese in the villages makes me smile every time :) One time I was wandering in Skellige, and there was two random ladies on the roadside. They were talking about a man that other woman wanted to leave but couldn't cause just found out that she was bregnant. She was crying and that other woman tried to calm her. WOW! Normally NPC:s just say hello when you pass by. Never seen those ladies again after that. You are just walking in some direction and little things just happen on the way. Those don't have to a be part of the quests. That is great!

Sidequests and contracts really mean something to someone who posted the note or gave you the quest. There is always a story behind it. Sometimes even a truly amazing story! Nothing is absolutely bad or evil, both sides have their reasonable reasons. Story in Witcher 3 is amazing. I was so in love with this game in my first playthrough. I had to start NG+ immediately after that. I needed more Witcher! Now I'm playing my second game and little rushing towards the ending and HoS :( I want to make quests different way, romance different persons, see different events, different endings. After that I'm going to start third time. I'm going to turn off those map markers and just enjoy and explore the world without any hurry. There is still some third options left with quests!

Music is so beautiful. Sometimes I just stop playing and listen.

Quests give you some wonderful WTF moments and surprises. And you don't always have much time to decide. There is nice amount of humor and sarcasm. And some other silly things that make me laugh. I was doing some quest and there was a little fight. After that I was in the middle of the dialogue, when cut off head popped up rolling in the grass background (it was windy day...). So the wind doesn't affect only the trees :) The world really lives!

This game is just awesome escape from the reality! I want to go back there over and over. :) Third game is good activity while waiting next expansion :) I'm just not ready for other games at the moment.

Edit: Forgot GWENT! One reason why I'm in such a hurry right now, is that I want to get fast at those new HoS Gwent games! I played HoS first time in default mode and without my own Gwent decks, so those games were impossible to beat. Although I got those
donkey ears
because of that, and that was hilarious :D But next time I'm going to win!

Last edited:
the expansion is what made me come back. the following is reasons that drove me away from the game for awhile:

- lack of armor diversity, 90% armor is useless once you picked the witcher set that compliments your build
- swords are almost all useless and only good for breaking down or selling
- it is hurricane season all year round
- big world map but only several points of interest, exploring becomes repetitive
- the same 4 or 5 villager faces everywhere

Agreed 100% about the swords and armor. nothing more frustrating then defeating a tough enemy that is guarding treasure to find out that the gear is worthless compared to my Witcher gear that I have equipped

Agreed 100% about the swords and armor. nothing more frustrating then defeating a tough enemy that is guarding treasure to find out that the gear is worthless compared to my Witcher gear that I have equipped

But if you don't, for some reason, find those Witcher Gears, then it's good that you can find other stuff too. Maybe you just want to fastplay the story without so many sidequest and other little quests? Maybe someone is just lazy? You also need money and selling those treasures is good way of making it.

AND Witcher Gear IS the best gear afterall. Not just random loot or common treasure. If something has to be different, then I suggest that the Witcher Gears should be in those Guarded Treasures. But why would those be in there? Witchers slay monsters, so how monster could get Witcher Gears? In my universe, monsters just don't kill Witchers ;) Maybe some young nobleman wanted to test his strength and went to monsterhunting. Monster killed him and got the nobleman's gear?

Although I agree about armor and swords, you have to remember that there's always going to be such a thing as best gear. And once you have that, not other gear will ever BE better.

That said, at least in W3 you have various best gears based on your build. Plus, you have to do quite a bit of work (and sometimes hard) to actually get all the stuff. Which is - for me - better than to just find a better sword in a guarded box.

Also, you can choose not to use withcer gear. That's also fun :)

I would recommend using the "Relic Weapons Redone" mod. From that moment on you can sometimes grab a sword that isn`t high powered witcher gear and it will be useful.
This is a very fine mod because there are some swords which look awesome and are very special, Longclaw, Emmentaler, Winter blade and many more but they don´t do any damage and cannot be used above Level 15 because every rusty Velen Sword gets stronger after some time and "levels with Geralt". This mod changes that.

And the actual play is even so much better than the first because just have a look at Geralt:

Perfect just perfect :)
Now his younger visual appearance fits to the age of all the sorceresses because Keira, Triss, Yen look like 20-35 years old, Geralts younger age now matches witch all of his Kaer Morhen companions because all his fellow Witchers look like Witcher 1 (Lambert 30 years old, Eskel 40) while Geralt is the only one who has "mysteriously aged" to a grandpa of 60-65 years in human age (with beard even older, maybe 70). While Vesemir also looks like the Vesemir from Witcher 1.
Why has Geralt become grandpa and everyone else hasn`t aged a day since Witcher 1?
Well.....now he has become the Geralt we all know and love again! :)

And that`s a good reason to enjoy the superb Witcher 3 gameplay und story and love to details again with a lore friendly TW1/TW2 Geralt what do you think?
All the creepy monsters and wonderful romances and uniquè creatures and awesome storyline, and a now lorefriendly Geralt as the main protagonist.

Attachments

• new Geralt.jpg
    new Geralt.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 42
But if you don't, for some reason, find those Witcher Gears, then it's good that you can find other stuff too. Maybe you just want to fastplay the story without so many sidequest and other little quests? Maybe someone is just lazy? You also need money and selling those treasures is good way of making it.

AND Witcher Gear IS the best gear afterall. Not just random loot or common treasure. If something has to be different, then I suggest that the Witcher Gears should be in those Guarded Treasures. But why would those be in there? Witchers slay monsters, so how monster could get Witcher Gears? In my universe, monsters just don't kill Witchers ;) Maybe some young nobleman wanted to test his strength and went to monsterhunting. Monster killed him and got the nobleman's gear?

Fast play Hahaha. I wish, I havent even finished the main story. I do every story quest, secondary quest, monster quest, treasure hunt not to mention clearing every question mark in area before I even move into the next area. The thing is I am level 27 have superior griffin gear. So when I got to Skellige must of the weapons are trash. I guess if I just did what you said "Fastplay" ( cant believe you installed me) and did just the story then the gear i find or I am rewarded would have been worth while

Most of the gear I find is setting in my vault. I am sorta of a hoarder and don't really like to see any of it.

I understand Witcher gear being the best gear. But it would still be nice to get some other gear out side of Witcher gear and be useful besides, selling, dismantling or hoarding

Last edited:
#1 Because... this game is the best thing around, and everything else pretty much sucks because of it.

#2 Because CDPR are still working on it, and bong~hits are good, m'kay... :sleepy:

Fast play Hahaha. I wish, I havent even finished the main story. I do every story quest, secondary quest, monster quest, treasure hunt not to mention clearing every question mark in area before I even move into the next area.

Sorry, didn't mean YOU personally :D I have this language issue... I'm a completionist too, but now I'm in NG+ and there I skipped a few ! quests and most of the dialogues. Now I'm looking for those other ways to do the quests, not so much of a story, 'cause most parts it's same as my first (about 300 hours) playthrough. New dialogues and cutscenes I watch of course :) I think 500 hours total is full, when I start my third playthrough, and with that I don't want to hurry at all. At that point, I think everything major important is already being explored and I can just enjoy the game, relax and take it really slow! I still have time to decide, is that third game going to be NG or NG+. If you can do several NG+ in a row? :)

I know someone who is kinda "fastplayer". She's just starting with rpg:s and her english isn't that good yet. Basic story she understands, but nothing more. So this is the type that enjoys most of those "ordinary" treasures, 'cause that type doesn't understand everything yet. Language is strange (knows just very basics) and the whole roleplaying world and terms are still new to her. It's great though that persons like her can too enjoy this beautiful game and learn more about roleplaying with this :)

But back to those armors for a moment... I find sometimes armor or sword which is better than that Cat or Griffin gear I'm using at the moment (lvl 55). I play easy, so the armor issue is not that important to me. I used all my greater runes to those armors/weapons, and I don't want to change them some random "one time" armor. I just upgrade it when I get enough levels and sell those better non Witcher gears. Other thing is that those better equipments are often heavy gear, and I like to use light or medium. You got a point there, but in my mind those treasures are just nicely packed exp and money.

1. Because Cyberpunk 2077 is not release yet.

2. Because other game(s) look kinda underwhelming *cough*FO4*cough* Arrr the facial animation.... my eyes.... it hurts.

3. Still trying to see everything in the world - not quest, just walk everywhere to see the world. Tis...still breath taking and enjoyable.

Still waiting for the next CDPR game....

Sorry, didn't mean YOU personally :D I have this language issue...

Its all good :thumbup: .... Well the example with the friend makes sense then about the gear, she might not be actively searching for the better gear.( Witcher gear) so finding gear for her might be more enjoyable then when I find gear. I think I found one sword that was better then my current Witcher sword. Which I enjoyed till I hit the level to upgrade my Witcher gear to the next phase. I just wish there was more moments like that with the gear that's all

Awesome amount of hours!

Me, I'm only around 100 hours in my first playthrough. I'm not really sure how many hours I've put in.

Most days when I play the game I check play time from the character screen and it seems to be consistent. However, after the quest "A walk on the waterfront" one day was added to my gametime, so I'm not sure it's actually 100 hours or 70 or 150 hours.

62 full days of Witcher 3 = 1488 hours. Nobody can confirm anybody's claims (which is why more people state how many times they have completed the game like a ritual, along with some exceedingly bloated 'accomplishments') Not to call you out, I'm impressed if you did 1488 hours, but can you take a screenshot for us to see this amount of time played?

I honestly can't believe it, sorry mate.

I would recommend using the "Relic Weapons Redone" mod. From that moment on you can sometimes grab a sword that isn`t high powered witcher gear and it will be useful.
This is a very fine mod because there are some swords which look awesome and are very special, Longclaw, Emmentaler, Winter blade and many more but they don´t do any damage and cannot be used above Level 15 because every rusty Velen Sword gets stronger after some time and "levels with Geralt". This mod changes that.

And the actual play is even so much better than the first because just have a look at Geralt:

Perfect just perfect :)
Now his younger visual appearance fits to the age of all the sorceresses because Keira, Triss, Yen look like 20-35 years old, Geralts younger age now matches witch all of his Kaer Morhen companions because all his fellow Witchers look like Witcher 1 (Lambert 30 years old, Eskel 40) while Geralt is the only one who has "mysteriously aged" to a grandpa of 60-65 years in human age (with beard even older, maybe 70). While Vesemir also looks like the Vesemir from Witcher 1.
Why has Geralt become grandpa and everyone else hasn`t aged a day since Witcher 1?
Well.....now he has become the Geralt we all know and love again! :)

And that`s a good reason to enjoy the superb Witcher 3 gameplay und story and love to details again with a lore friendly TW1/TW2 Geralt what do you think?
All the creepy monsters and wonderful romances and uniquè creatures and awesome storyline, and a now lorefriendly Geralt as the main protagonist.

Don't mean to hate or anything, but on those pics Geralt looks kinda feminine....

Top Bottom