What Keeps you Playing?

+
Beautiful world, sailing on choppy seas during dusk.
Geralt's humor : " tired of life?" The dialog is amazing, so natural.
Killing ? enemy under leveled - that was surprising and fun. Playing since May and still finding new places!

62 full days of Witcher 3 = 1488 hours. Nobody can confirm anybody's claims (which is why more people state how many times they have completed the game like a ritual, along with some exceedingly bloated 'accomplishments') Not to call you out, I'm impressed if you did 1488 hours, but can you take a screenshot for us to see this amount of time played?

I honestly can't believe it, sorry mate.
Woo, I didn't claim anything I was merely replying to someone claming to have played 1488 hours.

at first it was to get every different major ending in the game, then it was after reading the books and playing Witcher 1 and 2 and following my choices through out the process. then it was HoS, now it is death march new game+.

Addiction confirmed

May sound stupid, I just like the entire world very much. Sometimes I just simply wonder around taking in the atmosphere and looking at the scenery. I climb mountains in Skellege just to watch how the light changes during the day and take screen shots. I just like being in Gerald's world simple as that. That what keeps me playing.

Once u done u really done, exploring al them ? markers, finished the game three-times finished the dlc two times. shame we need to wait so long for the second story dlc blood and whine.

This game is the best i played in decades, fallout 4 is trash compared to this masterpiece :) GOTY 2015 for sure.

What keeps me playing... just the certainity of not having found all details and nuances in dialogues or in general not having seen the whole world yet. This game is a terrible hookup. Sometimes I just wish to see one of those awesome sunsets or sunrises with geralt wandering slowly about.

And since I got a new ultra HD flatscreen TV I just cannot stop watching the ingame days go by.

So first off, this is not a complaint. This is a personal problem. Just read the whole thing before flaming me.

I've had TW3 since launch. But I'm really, really having a hard time liking it. I don't know what it is or why. Possibly, because I hate the combat (personal opinion, let's not talk about it). But I didn't much like TW1 or TW2 combat either and I ate those games up. I'm not sure what it is but for some reason I can only play a couple of hours and then I don't know, I just get disinterested? Bored maybe? I play a lot of games, I don't know what the deal is. Maybe I'm just feeling lost because of how damn big it is?

Whatever it is, it doesn't matter. I spent $60 on this game. And I want to play it, the story/characters/VO are all really great (so far I'm 10 hours in). So help me out here, what kept you guys playing? What should I do to get past the combat I dislike so much? I'm looking for anything to keep me playing. I just want to complete it once. Thank you in advance.

---------- Updated at 04:43 AM ----------

So I just found this thread...

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...n-Novigrad-but-I-m-back?p=1925248#post1925248

And it had some good advice. I'll try to follow some of those tips.

my advice is focus on the Main Story and do the "!" missions you see on the map as they pop up. those tend to be more story focused. obviously you are going to run into combat, but its not on the same level as going after the "?" and witcher contracts (though the witcher contracts have some good story content too).

---------- Updated at 05:44 PM ----------

Although I agree about armor and swords, you have to remember that there's always going to be such a thing as best gear. And once you have that, not other gear will ever BE better.

That said, at least in W3 you have various best gears based on your build. Plus, you have to do quite a bit of work (and sometimes hard) to actually get all the stuff. Which is - for me - better than to just find a better sword in a guarded box.

Also, you can choose not to use withcer gear. That's also fun :)

yeah generally the optimal route is to go with a particular school of gear based on your build. going with some of the more generic gear schematics would be a great way to play non-optimal while still having fun. im probably going to do that at some point when i replay the game again.

Completed first playthrough completely Vanilla, no mods, no reshade and stuff. (This was before NG+ was patched)

Finishing Novigrad in my second playthrough with Real Graphical Suite and YALM.

Planning to start NG+ with my second playthrough after STLM 2.0 is out.

The main thing about the game that lures me in every time is that, I can never seem to find all the stuff, like, there is always a missed out mission, always a missed out dialog every time i play.

Another reason would be the constant temptation to screenshot everything everywhere

The main thing about the game that lures me in every time is that, I can never seem to find all the stuff, like, there is always a missed out mission, always a missed out dialog every time i play.

This.
While reading the forums lately, I came across a lot of arguments against the OPEN WORLD Concept, but this is clearly one of the good reasons for an open world.

Imo, play the first time on story mode and focus solely on the story. By the end, you will either feel compelled to go back and finish everything else, and/if you love it. replay the game on the second hardest difficulty to enforce the use of every aspect the game has to offer to be able to succeed. Else, you will have completed the story and at least finished the game with a decent taste left in your mouth. Because the story and this magnificent world exploration seem to be the main selling point here.

I haven't completed it personally (yet), in fact I started it three times on ps4 and got 10% in... which left me with a lingering taste of dissatisfaction. Fast forward a few months, now I've got a pc to play it maxed with mods and I am so far loving it. Consoles is not my thing and I felt it held the game back in many regards. Not feeling inventory mangement, slow menu navigation and all that jazz on consoles. Cluttered UI without having the option to still show quests etc... These are all things the PC version has mods for. So, Imo, give it some time as it ramps up slowy... everyone I know who got past the first 30% finished it once or twice and loved it.

Last edited:
DLC`s and mods.
Cos game doesn`t have multyplayer, they need to make some dlc-s in future.
Not to end with blood and wine.
Something like paradox do with EU4 and CK2.

Im on my 3rd playthrough - I have yet to play any of the free DLC missions, see the updated Triss romance, or play HoS, or even complete all the ?s

So I still have quite a bit of new stuff to look forward to - this is the main thing that keeps me playing.

But also - attention to detail, graphics, music, action, story, characters, attention to detail ------------ ABsolutely love them.
(Did i mention, attention to detail)

Whenever i can't decide what to play -Witcher 3 is there for me :hug:

Last edited:
After over 1000 hours of play, I still keep finding myself eager to play. For some reason, you can just pick a direction and go and it just doesn't get old. By the time I went halfway through Skyrim, I was bored. I read DA:I templar path is more interesting but I can't get myself to play it. The protagonist moves so slow that I'm put off by it. Geralt is definitely the fastest Open World RPG player character ever. I think that is part of the reason going somewhere never feels tedious. And you could just watch Roach gallop all day. You can loiter to your hearts content and when you want action, you can find it quickly. This I think is a huge part of what keeps people interested in playing and going back to W3 and will continue to do so for a long time. Oh and the ability to fast travel on boat also helps keep exploration from becoming a drag. Right now this is the only difference I can think of thats keeping me from going back to DA:I. I want to see how the story will unfold but I just don't like the idea of wandering in that world again. And the horse has a pole up its ass and is just weird.

The other thing is how the story is delivered to player. I started playing Pillars of Eternity but had to bail out with the amount of reading I need to do. I read and have no problem with it but I just don't want to do that much of it in a game. W3 has few and DA:I and Skyrim has many but one can do without reading them or when the mood takes you. But reading in game conversations is tedious. Conversation in skyrim was also tedious compared to W3. Turns out just reading out lines and acting out the conversation makes a difference.

Another huge factor is that hte game is played in third person view. I could never play any of the Fallouts because of this. Now that I think of it, I think I'd like Mass Effect much, much less if it were first person. Third person view is just right for RPGs.

Another huge factor is that hte game is played in third person view. I could never play any of the Fallouts because of this. Now that I think of it, I think I'd like Mass Effect much, much less if it were first person. Third person view is just right for RPGs.

A little off topic, so I just whisper this silently...
In Fallout you can choose between first person or third person, just like Skyrim ;) Don't remember the button which chances that though...

PS: I also hate first person :secret:

There's just so much to do! I've only played through once, and although had a grand old time, I did manage to miss a few quests that were pretty important (The Last Wish, completing Following The Thread...) and since I hadn't read any of the books or played any Witcher games before then I was coming to all these characters for the first time which was great - but now I've read all the stories and am playing through Witchers 1 & 2, I can't wait to playthrough Witcher 3 all over again!

...So help me out here, what kept you guys playing? What should I do to get past the combat I dislike so much? I'm looking for anything to keep me playing. I just want to complete it once. Thank you in advance..

Hmm...

- I have to be honest. I was a bit disappointed with The Witcher 3 to begin with. I missed the same atmosphere I found in the previous game. The magic and the music sorrounding Flotsdam. I missed the elves and Iorveth. Where was the good cause in this new game?

But back to your question:

Sometimes I just like discovering the landscape.

Sometimes I just like taking a walk to get fresh air and enjoy this landscape. Just like in real life. Especially Skellige is a nice place to relax.

I like starting all over just to see if I get a new and different perspective of the game. Did I miss something (of course I did). What if I made different choice in that particular moment?

How would it be to persue the romance with Triss or Jennefer? Is it any different? How will they respectively react towards me and the story?

What if I chose a different combat style? How would this influence the entire playthrough? Will I see things differently?

What if I didn't rush things but took the time to experience every corner of the maps, persue every conversation with all NPC's I meet?

I have started three playthroughs.
The part I enjoy the most is actually the first map, White Orchard. Taking my time to enjoy this part of the country in a relaxed fashion. I look forward to meet the people living there. Especially Tomira. Sometimes I even load a previous save to meet her again. Then I meet with the gay hunter, and think about how his life might have been. All those small things have my interest. The role playing parts.

It's not the fighting and killing that interests me. Not at all. I wish there would be 90% less fighting and 90% more dialogues or character involvements. That's what I seek in a game. The people.

Top Bottom