What Keeps you Playing?

+
What Keeps you Playing?

So first off, this is not a complaint. This is a personal problem. Just read the whole thing before flaming me.

I've had TW3 since launch. But I'm really, really having a hard time liking it. I don't know what it is or why. Possibly, because I hate the combat (personal opinion, let's not talk about it). But I didn't much like TW1 or TW2 combat either and I ate those games up. I'm not sure what it is but for some reason I can only play a couple of hours and then I don't know, I just get disinterested? Bored maybe? I play a lot of games, I don't know what the deal is. Maybe I'm just feeling lost because of how damn big it is?

Whatever it is, it doesn't matter. I spent $60 on this game. And I want to play it, the story/characters/VO are all really great (so far I'm 10 hours in). So help me out here, what kept you guys playing? What should I do to get past the combat I dislike so much? I'm looking for anything to keep me playing. I just want to complete it once. Thank you in advance.

---------- Updated at 04:43 AM ----------

So I just found this thread...

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...n-Novigrad-but-I-m-back?p=1925248#post1925248

And it had some good advice. I'll try to follow some of those tips.

Every time I almsot get bored and start wanting to play something else. I find something I havent seen before (after 7 playthroughs)

Also doing missions in different orders to see if anything changes.

I have tried to play some other games since June, but only MGS5 got any real playtme and I am already over it, still playing W3 almost daily.

The first time I played I never got out of White Orchard. I had thought there was a lot to learn with using signs potions to supplement combat, so gave up for a week or so.
Then I decided to try to continue, and once I started learning the tricks I stayed. I played through 3 times already, and the biggest thing I enjoyed most about it, was the story. The last RPG I enjoyed for the story were the Assassin Creed games, especially the Enzo trilogy. I also enjoyed Blag Flag and the cut scenes. But Witcher 3 I enjoyed the most. I really like the facial expressions between characters in the cut scenes, especially how Ciri looks at Geralt with love and admiration. Kinda makes you feel good when you know all they went through before Geralt finds her. I used to love reading fantasy books, mainly the Conan the Barbarian ones. So having a game with so much story like a book, that you can play out, made it especially great to me.
I love the combat now, more so than the other RPG's I played. I used to be into MMO's but got tired of personalities and flame wars in chat on those, so stick to single player RPG's now.
The third time I played through, which I just finished yesterday, I finally played gwent for the first time and enjoyed it, so I completed that achievement.
This game is the only RPG I actually waited for and paid for the DLC's coming out. The STORY, Cut Scenes, environment, and music, were the main reasons I stuck with this game for so long. Heck I've reread some of my favorite books a few times through during my life, so this game makes me get that same good feeling after playing it too.

But Witcher 3 I enjoyed the most. I really like the facial expressions between characters in the cut scenes, especially how Ciri looks at Geralt with love and admiration. Kinda makes you feel good when you know all they went through before Geralt finds her. I used to love reading fantasy books, mainly the Conan the Barbarian ones. So having a game with so much story like a book, that you can play out, made it especially great to me.

Is there more story later on? I haven't encountered much yet. Maybe it is just slow to start out?

Love this game to death, it's my personal GOTY 2015 so far. 3 playtroughs, ~350 hrs in. What keeps me playing on my 4th playtrough? Lots of awesome Mods - whether visual, combat or gameplay changers.

Glaedr

Forum regular
played this game and completed it once, and due to an iron will i have restrained myself from playing it until patch 1.09 comes out with ceirtan changes ;)
So now i have all the dlc quests to look forward to plus dialouge tweaks, its almost like playing the game fresh ^^

played this game and completed it once, and due to an iron will i have restrained myself from playing it until patch 1.09 comes out with ceirtan changes ;)
So now i have all the dlc quests to look forward to plus dialouge tweaks, its almost like playing the game fresh ^^

Yea, I'm curious when that patch will come out. I was hoping before HOS. Wanted to go another playthru and see how the Triss part was tweaked.

Yes, ALOT more. I suggest not rushing and watch every single cutscene. If you enjoy a good book, you will love this.

Okay, that's good to hear. Maybe I will skip some of the side quests though. I think they may be part of my problem with losing interest. Like maybe they just seem boring to me or something. I really liked the quest with the ghost by the well though.

Love this game to death, it's my personal GOTY 2015 so far. 3 playtroughs, ~350 hrs in. What keeps me playing on my 4th playtrough? Lots of awesome Mods - whether visual, combat or gameplay changers.

Anything you would recommend? I haven't really tried any mods yet.

I've already finished the game, but what makes me come back every once in a while is chasing some of the achievements. If you get bored with the game maybe try unlocking some of them for a change of pace.

Over 1100 hours playing it. Many play through completed. And I still find stuff I never found in previous runs in the game, though I didn't rushed them. (just found something I missed in all previous runs and it is a very pleasant feeling). There is no way, IMHO, to experience all the game offers in only one play through, unless one uses some guide which kills the surprises. Also, different decisions have different impacts on the story advancement and conclusion and learning to live with them is not even a choice. Some results will only present themselves later in the game or in the end. It's just awesome.

Plus, the more I play, the better I get at fighting (dodging, parrying, counter attacking, casting effective signs), developing the character in new different ways, using different equipment and play styles. I began a true newbie, dying to anything in the easiest difficulty. Now I challenge enemies with skull symbols, within a reasonable range, in the hardest difficulty and I sometimes prevail, others I still have to run and come back later to face them .

Last edited:
Right now hearts of stone keeps me playing. When Im done with that Im gonna take a break until they drop blood and wine. Man I hope that make that exansion fucking huge!!!11

One word: Mods.

---------- Updated at 10:30 AM ----------

Okay, that's good to hear. Maybe I will skip some of the side quests though. I think they may be part of my problem with losing interest. Like maybe they just seem boring to me or something. I really liked the quest with the ghost by the well though.

Anything you would recommend? I haven't really tried any mods yet.

The upcoming release of School of the Roach's overhaul. ;)

im the opposite, if it wasnt for sleep, job and other life things i'd have played the whole game in one sitting

i also enjoy the combat, its reliance on getting close and personal and having to be aware and agile instead of just going hurr my lifebar is bigger than yours

if you hate the combat maybe just play on just the story, that way youll get more of what you like and less of what you dislike

Wow, I don't think I can relate... I couldn't put this game down. I get utterly bored with most games to the point of not even finishing more than half of them. When I was younger, I used to never leave a game unfinished, these days I don't have the time or attention span. That being said, I never even for a second considered putting TW3 down. I can't get enough of Geralt's story, I enjoy the combat, I love the world they built.

Also, I'd advise against skipping side quests - this game has by FAR the best side quests I've ever seen. Some of them are absolutely on par with main story missions and far exceed the detail of other games' main stories. I can't name a single game besides TW2 with such a rich world.

Last edited:
I think what makes me keep playing this game is that it's generally well made. Putting aside all bugs/glitches/annoyances/inconsistencies, I think it has the best possible combination of story, characters, quests, music, gameplay, graphics (even though not what was advertised originally :D), etc. out there. Also a huge thing that made this game even bigger treat was it's pacing. I can't remember any game that did it better.

I started another playthrough just 'cause i didn't choose to talk to Cleaver in Gangs of Novigrad and the "failed quest" thing really bothered me (but the quest path if you don't accept his help is way better) and because i forgot the Lugo's son quest and i would like to play this one (that was totally my bad). Also i wanted to play a faithful Geralt this time, without romancing Kiera and going to brothels.

Unfortunately i'm still in Novigrad and my VGA just broke, so i'm kinda depressed that i can't finish the game in time to Hearts of Stone... Actually, i gotta wait at least until Black Friday to buy another card (can't afford a new one just now), so i'm starting to get a little depressed that i will not be able to play the expansion so soon :(

Are you on PC? If you hate the combat but just want the story, load up the console and give yourself god mode plus some one shot abilities and go to town.

I'm currently on my 4th playthrough.

What keeps me playing? The depth, i'm still finding things in my 4th playthrough that i never saw before. Also finding different ways to approach the combat due to the amount of depth again that it offers. I plan to do a Alchemy playthrough at some point.

But what keeps me coming back for more above all else? the story and the characters, i'm engrossed in it and i can't get enough of it. When i finished my first playthrough i had a feeling of emptiness inside of like " i loved those characters so much and now they are gone" so i immediately started again to be engrossed into it again, i absolutely love the characters and it keeps me playing over and over again.

The Story and the characters and the quest. and soon the expansions.

Same thing that kept me playing the mass effect series before i finally put them to rest for good.

p.s i am sad there won't be any mini-quest or what ever to gather all your beloved allies at the end of the game and have a painting done which shows you and it stays there for a minute and half so you can then screen shot and save it as background..

eh? good idea yeah? yeaah? please? CDPR? Hello? ello? llo? lo? o? ? . oh kay. :wazzzup:

Top Bottom