What kind of man would Yen go for?

+
So she doesn't explain everything immediately and she ordered a few people around, so what? The Witchers got ordered around their whole lives for menial pointless things (like in an army) and are whining about a Sorceress that is smarter and knows way more than them and Ciri is in danger and the end of the world is coming not telling them every detail and not saying please? Please....

Amen! I have to admit, looking at it from that context makes her 'bossiness' come off as second fiddle compared to what they've been through.

I find Geralt sleeping with everything that moves and resembles a woman way worse attitude, I didn't even like Yennefer getting flattered by Lambert liking her, let alone her sleeping with every man in the realms.

Actually that part really bothered me. I mean she detests Lambert and not in a dandelion kind of way. To me her flattery seemed uncharacteristically desperate at that moment, but thankfully it stops there. Lambert is too immature for her, she'd kill him.

---------- Updated at 05:08 AM ----------

Even if everyone in here doesn't love Yen, that doesn't mean that she isn't important and/or great character otherwise.

Right!

So now I ask you sunsibar, what kind of man would Yen go for? :D

Right!

So now I ask you sunsibar, what kind of man would Yen go for? :D

I said it in my earlier post ;) But I can correct that a bit.

I think Yen could be very capable to "arranged marriage", if she sees that necessary. Otherwise (at this moment) I can't see her loving anybody in healthy relationship. I can see many variations of men with Yen, but every time I see a problem too. Yen is complicated and bossy. And I'm a simple, peace loving person who thinks that relationship should be companionship. Not on-off battlefield.

I could write a novel about Yens possible lovers, but right now I don't have the time for that. And because I'm in the middle of the books, I don't want to do it just yet.

1st The guy has to bring something to the table, Money, fame or power are the big 3.
2nd The Guy has to worship her like she is God's gift to men, no arguing with her, always doing what she tells you and God forbid do not even get caught looking at another woman.

Yen is what I like to call IRL "High Maintenance" not a person I would be interested in at all no matter how good looking she is or how well she performs in bed.

Guest 3847602

1st The guy has to bring something to the table, Money, fame or power are the big 3.
2nd The Guy has to worship her like she is God's gift to men, no arguing with her, always doing what she tells you and God forbid do not even get caught looking at another woman.

If that's true, poor Geralt would be the last man on the Continent she would be interested in :)

If that's true, poor Geralt would be the last man on the Continent she would be interested in :)

Oh she is very much interested in him, the problem is he is the WRONG person for her and of course that is where there love/hate relationship comes into play. Geralt is way too independent for her and is doomed to either total failure or total misery for both parties.

Yen is what I like to call IRL "High Maintenance" not a person I would be interested in at all no matter how good looking she is or how well she performs in bed.

1. Geralt only "brings" power and fame, and it causes more troubles than pleasures to Yennefer , tbh. Also where did you get this idea that she would be happy with such man?
2. Eh..also a total opposite. They used to argue almost all the time and yet Yennefer kept being interested in him. Geralt is/was a man whore womanizer and she still kept dealing with his bullshit. She even JOKES about it in W3.

I think there is some misunderstanding here. It's not abut whom she "needs", with whom she could create this little perfect relationship with no arguments, full of kitten and rainbows (she tried it with Istredd, he seemed like a 'perfect choice ' - and we know how it went down). First, because there is no such relationship, there's nothing bad about 'arguing' in a relationship - it's about overcoming your problems and solving them somehow, together - even if it takes you like, 15 years. And that's what G/Y do in the saga. Their relationship is interesting because they're both very different in some aspects and similar in others, it caused them to clash and all that but somehow their feelings prevailed.

So to answer OP's question - she would go for a man like Geralt - with all his issues and imperfections. Because what's important is that he was probably the first person who saw who SHE is and yet loved her for that. Is it that hard to understand?

Oh she is very much interested in him, the problem is he is the WRONG person for her and of course that is where there love/hate relationship comes into play. Geralt is way too independent for her and is doomed to either total failure or total misery for both parties.

Geralt and Yennefer have a difficult relationship, but their troubles have nothing to do with him not being rich or being too independent. Not even close.

What kind of man would she need? Outspoken, commited, self aware, emotionally stable in order to balance her various quirks and foibles. Ideally, someone very different from Geralt (at least his early version). But it doesn't mean she would actually fall for a man like that.

But hey, it's alright, love works in mysterious ways. What is "best" and what you want are not always the same thing. And for something to work it is not required that all pieces fall into place.

Book Geralt didn’t have much money, fame or power.

Game Geralt, however, had tons of money, fame, and power if played by a proper powergamer. ;)

I can only go by the books since this is my first Witcher game and all I know Of Yen, in game, is the initial cut scene. But If I remember the books Dandelion made Geralt fairly famous, and he has plenty of power by way of just being a Witcher and possibly one of the best Witchers alive. He tries to avoid politics but keeps getting drug into it simply because of the power he wields so I am not sure how you can say he has no power or fame.

Yes Geralt would be someone that would attract her because of his power and fame, however because of her insecurities in personal relationships the very thing that attracts her would also cause endless conflicts between them. As one of you said earlier I am not sure there really is anyone that would be good for her, kind of a damned if you do and damned if you don't kind of thing.

I can only go by the books since this is my first Witcher game and all I know Of Yen, in game, is the initial cut scene. But If I remember the books Dandelion made Geralt fairly famous, and he has plenty of power by way of just being a Witcher and possibly one of the best Witchers alive. He tries to avoid politics but keeps getting drug into it simply because of the power he wields so I am not sure how you can say he has no power or fame.

Yes Geralt would be someone that would attract her because of his power and fame, however because of her insecurities in personal relationships the very thing that attracts her would also cause endless conflicts between them. As one of you said earlier I am not sure there really is anyone that would be good for her, kind of a damned if you do and damned if you don't kind of thing.

Too be honest, if you think of Yennefer and Geralt from before The Last Wish... Well I think if you had told that Yennefer that she would be in love with Geralt and that she would be willing to sacrifice anything for him she would have laughed, she would have laughed hard indeed. And if you had told Geralt that he would ever love any woman at all he would have laughed just as hard.
But at one point in The Last Wish, he is feeling something he never thought he could feel, for anyone, ever. And she realizes that there is someone in this world that can see her for who she really is, who can see beyond all the walls she built to protect herself, see her with all her imperfections and still love her. And that moment changes everything, for both of them.
And sure this is very new for them and they don't know what to do with that at the beginning. They have a lot of issues, both of them, and they are scared, and they make mistakes. But they are willing to try. She is a powerful sorceress with a good position in life. He is a monster killer who has known for a very long time that he would be a loner and that his place was not among men. Yet they are willing to change completely the way they see things, to rethink who they are entirely, to put aside everything they ever took for granted. To be with each other. And it won't be an easy road, there will be fighting along the way, and splitting up and getting back together, but each of them will grow. Together they will overcome their fears, and whatever may come they will face it together.
So you're right, kind of. No one is good for Yen at the beginning, because of her insecurities, her fears... There is someone however for whom she is ready to change.

Last edited:

My line regarding book and game Geralt was basically a joke. However, there is a discrepancy in the way relevancy of Witchers is handled between books and games. In the short stories, Geralt is portrayed as moving between cities trying to get work--monsters are rarer and the need for Witchers is portrayed as less than it had been in previous years. In the Ciri saga itself, I seem to remember Geralt doing the majority of his monster hunting during his winter in Toussaint, of all places, but I could be misremembering (I think the novels even lightly touched on Geralt potentially retiring from Witcher work).

In the games, the world is swarming with monsters and Geralt can't even move a few paces without running into one. It's no wonder he "feels" a lot more important in the games.

EDIT: BTW are we talking about the book's Yennefer or the game's Yennefer?
Corrected spelling of Yennefer's name.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom