What kind of multiplayer game do you like?

+
I like multiplayer games that are like TF2/RPG hybrids.

Battleborn is the closest right now that I can think of.

Screw Call Of Duty.

I'm not a multiplayer. I played C&C/Age of Empires II and similar RTS games but mostly with friends seldom online (internet was quite bad back then.
I played a bit BF2 and CoD:MW but also only with friends/on small LANs.

In the last years I played a bit of MOBAs. I started with LOL but changed to Heroes of the Storm because I like the Blizzard heroes and also the rounds are shorter. I also played Dead Island Epidemic for a while.

Battleborn was quite nice and refreshing but in the closed beta the match making was really bad and I stopped playing it. Also the controls of certain heroes felt a bit odd. I'm not sure if the heroes are balanced well.

I also play Guild Wars 2 but I play it more like an single player RPG.

The reason why I haven't played much multiplayer was, that, as long a I studies, I didn't want to spend money for a full price title just to play multiplayer mode. I wasn't interested in the single player mode of that games or they didn't even had one. In the last few months I thought about buying a multiplayer game but I don't know which one.

If I should say the first thing that comes to mind, when I see the question "What kind of multiplayer game do you like?", is "Actually... I don't like multiplayer games". I am almost compleatly only a singleplayer kind of a person.

But if the question is more "What kind of gamer are you when you play multiplayer games", that I can answer easier... because I have played multiplayer games even if I in general dislike them. So, if I go just by that 4 way definition thingy they used in the videos, then I would definatly end up on the right side of things, amongst the Acheivers and Explorers, probably more towards the upper right (Acheivers) more so then anything.

Acheiver is probably the strongest one in me, although I don't really care that much about the "Acheivement" things that most games have these days. It's more of that I love the leveling up thing, be it in actual levels, in skill-level of your skills, weapons, armor, and equipment, etc. It is not uncommon for me to lose a fair amount of interest in a character and/or game once I have reached the max level of my character... which has at times had the effect of that I either stopped playing that character, or stopped playing the game entirely. A lot there depends on how interesting the rest of the game is what decides if I continue playing the character/game to the end or not. That was the reason why it took me about a year and a half befor I had my first max level character in City of Heroes, because I was afraid of that I would lose interest in playing the character once I reached max level with it... and to a degree I did, I still finished all missions etc that I could find, but I still spent less time with those 2 or 3 characters I had which reached lvl 50. End game content has close to never interested me in mmo's, due to the fact that you have to usually play it with a max level character. XD

Explorer would be second for me. Parts of it is definatly that I like to explore... but more so then anything it comes down to that I don't like leaving certain kinds of things unchecked or undone. Be it just something as simple as removing all of the fog of war on a map... or find every single item that is not nailed down and bring it with me, find all quests and hat not, or kill every singel enemy on said map. So it's more of a Acheiver+Explorer combo, with emphesis on the Acheiver part, rather then pure Explorer. I also prefer to finish everything I can find in an area befor I move on to the next.

In third place, pretty far down below Explorer, would Killer probably end up... but not in the sence of attacking and killing other players characters, I have never felt a need to beat my own chest, compare my skill vs others, or assert my dominance over others in that way. I find that to be highly boring, to me PvE is so much more fun and interesting then PvP. XD No, for me this is more the part about trying to get as much ingame cash or what ever out of the things I sell to a market/auctionhouse kind of a thing... so a sort of Acheiver+Killer combo, with Acheiver being the main part. In both City of Heroes and Final Fantasy XI I did spend a fair amount of time tampering with the auctionhouse (done so in most mmo's or multiplayer games where I spent more time then like a week or month). A pretty common thing that I did was buy all the stuff below a certain price which felt reasonably cheap to me, and then turn around and throw the items back into the auctionhouse and sell them at a higher price... but still undercutting players who sold their things at somewhere around a normal price that most players would be ok with buying. I had no problem with getting 5-10% less cash by undercutting the "normal" sale prices, especially not if the items I sold where items I had found as I played the game... since they where essentially free items which did not cost me anything.

The one that I am the least, like pretty far down below Killer, in fourth place, is Socializer. I don't play computer/console games to spend time with others... and no matter who playes those games... be it someone I would consider my best friend of all times, a loved one, or what ever... that can not keep me playing a game once I feel I am done with it, or make me play a game I really don't have an intertest in at all. I play games for the games sake, because I like the game, and because I feel like being alone and all that. This means that first of all I stay away from pretty much all multiplayer stuff in most games which include it. And when it comes to the few mmo's I have played, during roughly a 6 or so year period, I spent the majority of my time in them playing solo. I did join Supergroups in City of Heroes (which was THE mmo for me, played it close to constantly for about 3.5 years befor I finally had played my self sick on mmo's), and I did talk to people there and got a few friends out of it, but I was almost never in the game because of those people. I do play games with friends of mine, but those are close to always things like pen and paper rpg's, tabletop- and/or board-games, and other things like that.

@Calistarius Someone is articulate about Bartle's Taxonomy :p Yeah, I'm mostly an explorer and achiever too. If I'm playing with friends (a.k.a. if the guild that I'm in is a closely-knitted one) I can also rock the social aspect. But, as a player who HATES PvP, I'm definitely not a killer. Of course, in a shooter that's fine, as that's what the game is about. But for MMOs, I literally never do PvP modes. I'd prefer world PvP more (if it's a sandbox game, as that would be realistic, compared to "Battlegrounds"), but it's too much of a hassle I think. You need to be on your toes, be online a long time to be good and to be able to defend yourself/your land, etc. I don't have that time, unfortunately. My real life problems are kinda more important :D

What kind of multiplayer game do you like?

Not any kind of. Not in this context.

Some co-op action games are OK once in 10 years, but that's about it. I did play Battlefield 2 back in the day, but haven't touched that stuff since.

I just don't find that stuff very fun, it's more stressful than it is entertaining.

@Calistarius Someone is articulate about Bartle's Taxonomy :p Yeah, I'm mostly an explorer and achiever too. If I'm playing with friends (a.k.a. if the guild that I'm in is a closely-knitted one) I can also rock the social aspect. But, as a player who HATES PvP, I'm definitely not a killer. Of course, in a shooter that's fine, as that's what the game is about. But for MMOs, I literally never do PvP modes. I'd prefer world PvP more (if it's a sandbox game, as that would be realistic, compared to "Battlegrounds"), but it's too much of a hassle I think. You need to be on your toes, be online a long time to be good and to be able to defend yourself/your land, etc. I don't have that time, unfortunately. My real life problems are kinda more important :D

Not really articulate with it, never heard of it befor the two youtube videos that Suhiira put in the first post. XD

Heh... yeah I don't like PvP either... I dislike it almost more then a vampire dislikes the sun... XD The only PvP that I have ever liked, was Warhammer: Age of Reckonings RvR... because it did not feel pointless, did not feel like lemmings running at eachother over and over and over again. I mean it was... but atleast there was a point to it, which was that what you did in it actually mattered to one degree or another to the war between the two factions. But even then, out of the entire time I spent playing WAR in the last 9 months of the Beta, I only spent something like 5% of all that time in RvR. And 5% is not a lot... but if you compare it to how much time I spend on PvP in other mmo's, then those 5% is an absurly huge amount more... seeing as most mmo's got litterally 0% if my total gametime in them... and a few might have gotten like... half a percent or something of my total gametime. Basicly, the time I spent in RvR in WAR was more then how much time I have spent on both PvP in other mmo's AND multiplayer in other types of games combined...XD

I don't even like co-op. XD

Last edited:
Used to play MMO's back in the day, mainly the original Everquest - yeah, that dates me.

Since then my only experience with multiplayer games has been TF2, Half Life 2 Death Match (I miss the glory days of Valve, you know, when they were actually a videogame company), and most recently Star Wars Battlefront. The latter was a fun albeit somewhat shallow experience.

I have nothing against multiplayer games or those who enjoy them, I just don't want to see them in my CDPR games. I feel like the resources which go into making a multiplayer component can be better spent on the single-player narrative and making the best story possible. Bioware claimed that the programmers and artists who worked on Inquisition's multiplayer had nothing to do with the single-player and that it didn't affect that component of the game in any way, but I think that's BS. Those are artists, level designers, and programmers who could have been assigned the job of infusing some life into the game's uninspired and lazy secondary quest system.

i like coop multiplayer, like the mass effect 3 multi, 4 players agains waves of enemies, increasing difficulty and enemies numbers,

Last edited:
I played several multiplayer games like Arctic MUD (based on Dragonlance) and PlaneShift (their own unique settings). The first was way too brutal. It had some weird situations (you could get robbed in the street by some thugs, and trying to attack them back resulted in guards arresting you). Plus some advanced players were just running around killing noobs over there, so I didn't stick around. PlaneShift had a great community of roleplayers, and I enjoyed playing it, but the game world is relatively small there.

Recently some recommended Ryzom as a good on-line RPG. I might give it a try.

---------- Updated at 08:53 PM ----------

Here is a good read on roleplaying in multiplayer game: http://www.planeshift.it/Roleplay Guide

Last edited:
Back when I was Sakkara on Everquest I had a macro on a hotkey.

** TRAIN ** Beautiful dark elf rogue with an enormous fan club coming soon to a zone near you ! ** TRAIN **

Last edited:
I have nothing against multiplayer games or those who enjoy them, I just don't want to see them in my CDPR games. I feel like the resources which go into making a multiplayer component can be better spent

I just don't find that stuff very fun, it's more stressful than it is entertaining.

I totally agree, this is in a nutshell how i feel about multiplayer in general, but that's just me.
maybe i'm just old.

Top Bottom