What makes you angry?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody loves complaining and venting out. It can be therapeutic. But it is also pointless if we don't actually DO something to change what we don't like about the world.

Another title for this thread could be: name the things you dislike about the world and that you would like to change.

Bloth said:
We're an angry bunch lately aren't we? I think we should all join hands and sing "Kumbaya," and watch the flames dance hypnotically as they consume the bodies of our enemies. Amen.

I am SO ANGRY this fire is not large enough!!!

Hmmm, let´s see...

The most extreme of the "I don´t care, ok?"-types.

I really can´t abide suits... not to mention the people in them!:eek:/>/>

Racists, conservative religious folks and other stone-age lunatics.

Shortsighted people being bullshitted into believing that, for example, building a stinking fish processing plant in the middle of a potential cultural/turism pearl, is a good thing, ensuring GROWTH for future generations... Funny, because it closed 5 years later, leaving a huge, ugly, carcass and even higher unemployment! (Like: "What are you thinking!?!").

Macho idiots... no need to say anything more. :p/>/>

"Experts".

Finally, people who are arrogant about [bthemselves][/B] . "What the flying fuck is it that elevates you above the rest of us, can´t you show us WHAT IT IS?!? just a friendly question,K?"

Those were the people... Now some things :)/>/>

Pop-music

"Expertology"

Corporations

And... And... A million other things!
You´re gettig moody by all this anger, should make a thread about things that get us in a good mood :)/>/>

Guest 2091327

Bloth said:
We're an angry bunch lately aren't we? I think we should all join hands and sing "Kumbaya," and watch the flames dance hypnotically as they consume the bodies of our enemies. Amen.

It will have to be one hell of a fire.

"Heal the world"

GuyN said:
Makes me sad for the thousands of abandoned pets who aren't so fortunate, though -- and wish terrible curses on the yahoos who would abandon them.
Sadness no, but rage to the highest point possible to a human, yes.
I'd rather not to mention all the things that makes me mad (and they're a lot) but abusing, mistreating and killing animals is maybe the one above all.

Why do we Love animals as we do?

Squirrels are actually very kind to each other and will adopt abandoned baby squirrels if they notice a relative has not come back for them.

Awaring news like this make my angry go away

Wichat said:
Why do we Love animals as we do?

Awaring news like this make my angry go away

Well if we'd really love animals, we wouldn't domesticate them or just keep them for food or in cages/captivity to look at. Pets are more like toys or crippled versions of once free and sometimes majestic animals. We "love" them, cause they make us feel good, but really we are just domesticating nature. And then we have the problem, that we get sick of them or don't control their population and then we throw them out and let them starve on the streets or kill them, cause they are not able to live on their own anymore. With domesticating animals, we destroy their natural way of living and give them a new habitat with our rules, but that also brings responsibility too few are willing to take. Should we kill street dogs or let them live in cramped shelters or let them starve and spread diseases on the streets or kill other free roaming species (Australia)? Do we have the right to keep chicken in batteries for eggs and meat or shoud they live free range not just for their better live, but also our health from consumption? As always most people are too short sighted and when their cat gets babies they don't want them and throw them in the trash. The thing is, humans made their morals, we would never be angry at an animal for abandoning its children, so we are applying our morals regarding animals upon us. Who would be angry against a predator leaving its prey half dead or killing their rival or eating something alive or laying their eggs inside of the creature for the next generation to feed up on inside until that creature dies? Are we angry at one animal for exterminating another species? Maybe animals would be better off not being pets, maybe it would just be the same. Or is it just because mankind does everything in bigger proportions than nature, that is the problem?

Note, I am just giving questions, things to think about. I might not be a pet lover, but I still think, that we should treat our domesticated animals the way, we would like to be treated, not just for their sakes, but also for our health. That includes birth/population control. And if you say "oh you just never had a pet, you don't know how it is", then I say to you, that I grew up with my sisters having pets, my friends and family having pets, spending vacations on farms and in the countryside and in general a lot of time with animals. I get along with them very well, I just don't care for having any.

Mataresa said:
Well if we'd really love animals, we wouldn't domesticate them or just keep them for food or in cages/captivity to look at. Pets are more like toys or crippled versions of once free and sometimes majestic animals. We "love" them, cause they make us feel good, but really we are just domesticating nature. And then we have the problem, that we get sick of them or don't control their population and then we throw them out and let them starve on the streets or kill them, cause they are not able to live on their own anymore. With domesticating animals, we destroy their natural way of living and give them a new habitat with our rules, but that also brings responsibility too few are willing to take. Should we kill street dogs or let them live in cramped shelters or let them starve and spread diseases on the streets or kill other free roaming species (Australia)? Do we have the right to keep chicken in batteries for eggs and meat or shoud they live free range not just for their better live, but also our health from consumption? As always most people are too short sighted and when their cat gets babies they don't want them and throw them in the trash. The thing is, humans made their morals, we would never be angry at an animal for abandoning its children, so we are applying our morals regarding animals upon us. Who would be angry against a predator leaving its prey half dead or killing their rival or eating something alive or laying their eggs inside of the creature for the next generation to feed up on inside until that creature dies? Are we angry at one animal for exterminating another species? Maybe animals would be better off not being pets, maybe it would just be the same. Or is it just because mankind does everything in bigger proportions than nature, that is the problem?

Note, I am just giving questions, things to think about. I might not be a pet lover, but I still think, that we should treat our domesticated animals the way, we would like to be treated, not just for their sakes, but also for our health. That includes birth/population control. And if you say "oh you just never had a pet, you don't know how it is", then I say to you, that I grew up with my sisters having pets, my friends and family having pets, spending vacations on farms and in the countryside and in general a lot of time with animals. I get along with them very well, I just don't care for having any.

I have 3 cats, each of them rescued from human abandonment to their fate, sterilized, and two contracts from the animal shelter where I undertake to give them all the care they need, from health, food and exercise physical and mental . If I do not see me in a position to do so, not would have them. So, I know what you mean.I don't understand exòtic pets in a House or a dog in an apartament. By my own experience, cats chose be with you, basecats came to live in my garden and tried to enter in my House, I never had the need to close them. I think I'm quite responsable about this issue.

Wichat said:
I have 3 cats, each of them rescued from human abandonment to their fate, sterilized, and two contracts from the animal shelter where I undertake to give them all the care they need, from health, food and exercise physical and mental . If I do not see me in a position to do so, not would have them. So, I know what you mean.I don't understand exòtic pets in a House or a dog in an apartament. By my own experience, cats chose be with you, basecats came to live in my garden and tried to enter in my House, I never had the need to close them. I think I'm quite responsable about this issue.

That is a good thing. Most people I know have animals either from shelters or from other who couldn't take care of their animals anymore or got offspring by accident (although irresponsible for not sterilizing). I think you shouldn't buy your animals in stores if possible, since in most species there are way too many anyway, so rather care about those that already exist than making a market to produce even more, so that more will end up abandoned or in shelters.

Mataresa said:
Well if we'd really love animals, we wouldn't domesticate them or just keep them for food or in cages/captivity to look at. Pets are more like toys or crippled versions of once free and sometimes majestic animals. We "love" them, cause they make us feel good, but really we are just domesticating nature.
I could argue with this longly, but since it's totally offtopic and it would require a lot of space and time, I think I'll leave.

Eating animals for feed ain't equal to "hate them". Abusing, mistreating and killing for fun, bore, superstition and pure cruelty is another story.

secondchildren said:
I could argue with this longly, but since it's totally offtopic and it would require a lot of space and time, I think I'll leave.

Eating animals for feed ain't equal to "hate them". Abusing, mistreating and killing for fun, bore, superstition and pure cruelty is another story.

I think you might have fallen into a trap here. ;) I never said anything about hating animals. There isn't just "love" and "hate". There are many emotions inbetween, more than we have names for. So if I say we don't really love animals, it doesn't mean, that we don't care or apprechiate our pets. But you are right it is off topic and to properly express my opinion, I would need way more words for that. I shouldn't have started with it though, I see my fault. ^^

As far as pets, I've always taken in cats off the streets. My current housecat ran out of the woods at six weeks old and spoke about the plainest cat to English ever, "I'm moving in, no choice". So I took her in. Good thing too, she is way too dumb to be outside.

Mataresa's right, largely; there are many animals we domesticate to exploit for meat, milk, eggs, feathers, fur, or as beasts of burden or experiment, and for these we have only the practical justification that it is useful to do so. There are others we keep only for low entertainment, from fancy mice to pythons and ocelots to fighting bulls, and any endeavor to find morality in this is as self-fulfillingly fruitless as Diogenes' search for an honest man.

But there are also fellow travelers who join with us for mutual benefit and come to depend on us for protection, and I will not say it is wrong to keep them. Domestic dogs and cats have protected our persons and our stores, hunted with us since before there was history to write down, and ask no more than companionship and shelter in return. Like Cs

back to the question that originated this discussion: we love animals because we ARE animals. Sometimes we forget, we find ourselves wearing tuxedos and ridiculous hats and don't realize we are just like "them". Apes wearing costumes, that's all.

There's a lot we should relearn from other, less self-absorbed animals.

Volsung said:
we love animals because we ARE animals.
In the strictly scientific sense (“A multicellular organism that is usually mobile whose cells are not encased in a rigid cell wall and which derives energy solely from the consumption of other organisms.”) which is quite broad, sure. Not really in a less literal sense though. There’s a reason why we separate ourselves from animals on the linguistic level. No other animal has even near as pronounced mental faculties. Ethology and developmental psychology have proven as much. I think a big reason for our love of animals is precisely that we are not animals in that sense and that our interactions with them are different from interactions with humans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom