What Makes YOUR Life Worth Living?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, nothing. I saw this thread when Cory just created it but I had 'nothing' to say, quite literally. Guess nothing makes my life worthwhile for me (yet?).

good food and alcohol help a bit though lol

More or less what Wichat said.
Life taught me that no mater how bad it may looks now, there will be another things worth to see, another people worth to meet, another feelings worth to feel.
And when it's really bad, lonely long walk through the forest often helps. Seeing world from the mountain reminds me that my problems aren't as big as it seems to me.
I have also two series which always improve my mood - "Dead like me" and "Wanderfalls".

In case You don't have mountains nearby:
http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5885/p1000329j.jpg

DarthOrzech said:
Recently defended my master degree in architecture and have a nice and cozy job in an architecture office. After work, I have a lot of time for friends and in particular for one lady.

That's what i'm aiming for atm. I'm starting my Bachelor's degree this February to hopefully score a nice laid back job to do with my education. Since the degree gives you an internship in the last year, the job prospects are really good.

But unfortunately, i have 4 years of hard study before i can reach that point. But the end goal should keep me motivated.

DarthOrzech said:

That's awesome man. I have about 2 square miles worth of psuedo-forest with a sprinkling of residential areas near my place that i love to go for a jog through to clear my head. But a view like that would be much better.

I remember Cory has some sleep breathing disease thing that must suck :'< hang in there girl.

As for the question, Sex although it has diminishing returns hmmm.... well there's watching where humanity will go. The challenge of solving a problem that's never been solved before. Making art...

Ah who am I kidding there's no fucking point.

Pretty much the people I care about, my friends and family, both being there when they need it as well as being able to lean on their shoulders sometimes.

Other than that, what makes my life worth living I guess is studying, gathering knowledge and growing up :)

Human being has always had 3 reasons to go on 1 himself 2 the others 3 the fear of the end.Plus things to do.I'll take me f.e I have 2 dogs 3 cats A girlfriend, I am going to marry her or kill her someday or maybe both, family, friends, my partner, tons of games to play, debts, things to do that I have always wanted to like skydiving.Who knows maybe I would get old enough to see Greece getting out of financial -tragedy- crisis. Sometimes when i am feeling down I reed a lot of my favorite “soul healing” author Kazantzakis-"I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free ".And i occupied myself with my inner sea, my madness, someday my jubilant fantasies will rise into reality and then the universe is mine.... oh wait back to earth.
Now about happiness wisher men than me said, that it is a pursuit ,and that hope is a bitch that dies last .
So I guess the main motive the thing that drives me, is that I am to stubborn to, selfish to let go,I called it optimism :)

No doubt about that: my friends and the people who love me and who trust me. They are my strenght and the reason that makes my life worth living :)
I always thought that people don't live just for themself: we live for the people who love us. And I think that my luck is that I meet only nice people, so I consider myself lucky, even when I suffer.
Not only that: I know well that there are people that suffer much more than me, people who would give everything for another day or another instant of life, and that I should hold on for them. I like to think that "it cannot rain forever", that "even during a storm, over the clouds, the sky is always wonderfully blue".
I don't fear to die, but in the same time I don't think that it could give peace: it would give more pain to the people that love us and it would only negate a future that could be better.
Another reason are promises: I have promises that I must respect and wonderful people who I would like to meet :)
..and there are too many nice people that every day wish my happiness :)

When life is good, the moment. When life is bad, the hope for a better tomorrow.
One thing I always tell my wife when things are tough, and really one thing I live by, is that we'll get through it. We'll move on and life will continue, in many parts of the world there are people suffering much worse, but do you think that these people, in North Korea, or Somalia, don't laugh at times? Or love? Or see the beauty of a sunrise and sunset? Life is what you make of it and yes sometimes you have to deal with it but at the end of the day it all depends on how you choose to look at it.

guipit said:
Ah who am I kidding there's no fucking point.

As an existential nihilist, I too believe that there is no reason or purpose behind our existence. That we as a species and as individuals are essentially a product of probability and chance. Or that if there is a reason or purpose behind our existence, we are too under-equipped to ever find out, which is ultimately the same thing for all intents and purposes.

And I find that very empowering. We get to decide the reason and purpose of our own existence.

I'd love to say that my Art gives me all the reason, but it doesn't. It enables me to do many things I find important, such as commenting on human nature, truly representing a story or character, hopefully allowing the audience as well as me to go through catharsis.

But in the end, it's all for the people I love. My friends and family, my community, the people I know I can call at 4 AM and will answer the phone, the people that have been with me through the worst and best moments of my life, the people that love me and who I love.
That's what it's about for me.
Because we grok.

If this were a dream, I wouldn't want to wake up and feel like a fool because I wasted my time and didn't make the most of it. So, even though life itself makes no sense to me, I keep pushing forward because I can and because I want to experience it while I can. This includes my relationship with my wife, which is my number one priority. Even if this is an illusion, a dream, even if I am a brain in a vat and this is all being electrically fed into my brain, who cares? What is the difference? It is real enough to me :p

That said, some specific things that I enjoy are reading good books by talented writers, listening to music by talented musicians and composers, listening to people who 1) Really know what they are talking about AND 2) Have a strong command of their language, making music, making art, solving mental/intellectual challenges including mathematics and scientific computing, computer games, random puzzles, etc. And I also like good food and good sex.

Thank you all for all of your interesting and insightful responses.

I have several different chronic illnesses that limit my life drastically, and sometimes the difference between what I long to do and what I'm physically capable of doing is too much to bear. But a new day brings new hope.

Thank you, friends.

Corylea said:
Thank you all for all of your interesting and insightful responses.

I have several different chronic illnesses that limit my life drastically, and sometimes the difference between what I long to do and what I'm physically capable of doing is too much to bear. But a new day brings new hope.

Thank you, friends. />

Thanks to you Cory for choosing spend a part of your time with us />

I can understand you there Corylea, it's frustrating as hell to me when I can no longer do the things I used to do a fair few years back, because of various injuries and what have you. I found it was a balm to indulge in a bit of escapism, thus my love for good fantasy and such. I think though that everybody copes with these things differently, we all reach those breaking points where we're sat alone wondering over things we could the day before laugh at, whether it's looking out a hospital window wondering what life remains to you, or despairing after a phone call that a career you love has been taken from you.

I don't know how to deal with these things, I just hardened myself and laughed at everything, but i've heard from many of my old oppo's that family is good to lean on. Just having someone there when they're needed, even if it's just a bit of a cuddle and a kind voice. I also found that long walks, in the fresh air did my head a lot of good, let my body work while my brain did the same.

I know it probably won't but I hope this helps.

Conan said it best:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PQ6335puOc[/media]

Unfortunately such behavior is frowned upon in polite society

Seriously though, I agree with what others have said: friends & family, helping others, doing things you love(reading, gaming, cooking, music, whatever) and so on. But I'll add a couple of others:

Cultivating 1) a sense of gratitude and 2) a sense of wonder.

I find that if I'm not grateful for what my life is, its very easy to become ungrateful for what my life isn't. This is a constant effort, my life is not always what I want it to be due to chance or more often than not, poor choices on my part. But I keep at it.

And without a sense of wonder I miss so much of what makes the world beautiful and amazing: ice crystals, fall foliage, squirrels, dust motes in a sunbeam...well, you get the idea. A great way to get it back is to take a child to a park or the beach.

Lastly there's poetry. A poem can quickly take you away from the troubles & hardships of the moment, make you laugh or cry or just nod in agreement. I have a lot of favorite poets, but Mary Oliver is at the top the list.

Corylea, this ones for you,

I honestly don't have a real answer to that question since I've been asking myself the same thing for years. I've had a bad life, especially during my childhood with the heavy parental abuse that I've endured. To this day I suffer from mild depression.

I guess I can say that life is too precious to give up no matter how bad it gets, because for every one of those moments there is another one, or many more, worth living for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom