What Makes YOUR Life Worth Living?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest 2091327

It can build characters. Or it can destroy people.

One thing's for sure, I'm not happy with the way things are. Having no life is no life.

I go on about this, but it's because it does my fucking skull in. Sat on the computer now for maybe half an hour, reading this very thread (nothing resource intensive). Yet suddenly everything blacks out again. That's 3 times today alone. If it was because I had thousands of things on here I can at least DO something about it. But fuck. Yesterday I was just reading a bloody book with the light on, and it still fucking blacked out. Does my bloody nut in, and I simply cannot live like this. Things are way down the toilet to begin with, when I can't even use electricity...

Fed up of everything going to hell.

Can you afford to move Pangaea? If so i'd give your landlord the two finger salute and march off into the sunset. If not could you possibly rig up a little generator in a well ventilated room or something, obviously away from carpeting or anything flammable, bare concrete floor would be best. I've got one in my garage for when I work out and want a bit of light or heating, I had to make an aluminum hood for the smoke and pipe it up to a hole next to the window but it's cheap and works nicely.

Whatever happens, hope it gets better for you.

Pangaea said:
It can build characters. Or it can destroy people.

One thing's for sure, I'm not happy with the way things are. Having no life is no life.

I go on about this, but it's because it does my fucking skull in. Sat on the computer now for maybe half an hour, reading this very thread (nothing resource intensive). Yet suddenly everything blacks out again. That's 3 times today alone. If it was because I had thousands of things on here I can at least DO something about it. But fuck. Yesterday I was just reading a bloody book with the light on, and it still fucking blacked out. Does my bloody nut in, and I simply cannot live like this. Things are way down the toilet to begin with, when I can't even use electricity...

Fed up of everything going to hell.

That's not life... it's a torture! />

Guest 2091327

Since writing that post, the power has now blacked out THREE FOUR times more (had to add one while writing this). How much ooze are you using, you say?

I am sitting in bed, depressed like fuck, with the laptop (literally on my lap), with the power unconnected so it's using the battery........

Bloth, a generator would be good, but it's impossible here. It's just a one-room flat really. Reasonably big, but just one room. I may be able to find something else, but it's a proper drag and I have lots of furniture here, and it's winter.... But if it continues like this I simply cannot live here. Life is shit enough to begin with so to have this on top of it, not even be able to turn on the normal computer to play a game every now and then to get away from reality for a few hours, then what the hell is the point.

I've been looking at other places from time to time, and will again now. It'll be more expensive and less central (the ONE thing this place has going for it is that it's practically smack in the centre of Oslo), but there has to be something else somewhere that doesn't cost a ball and an arm, while still having power and be much better maintained than this shithole. I kid you not, when I walk to and from, you can see that the building is more run down than the others right next to it. It's quite uncanny. The landlord is probably just a cheapskate dickhead, whose only concern is "Rent in, Not a bloody fucking thing Out".

We contacted some lawyers last week (free, as they are law students) to hear what we can do, and I hope they get back to us either this week or next. Something has to be done, because it is quite frankly unbearable. It's far from cheap to live here, although on the cheaper end relatively speaking, but it's not even a proper apartment.

If there was half-decent power here, at least I would have a reason to get out of bed.

Sorry for dragging this thread down the toilet, but I had to vent a bit. We've now turned off the heating in the bathroom and the kitchen, and I've turned mine even further down. Maybe it will help, who the fuck knows. Or maybe I should buy a ton of candles and a truckload of blankets and turn off everything. Maybe I'd be able to fire up the computer for an hour or two then without it blacking out every two minutes. Or vacuum here. Or read in bed.

Friends and beer, that keep me going.

There are other nice things, but that 2 is what enjoy most.

Corylea said:
I was wondering: what makes YOUR life worth living? What makes you smile, what gives you pleasure, what causes you satisfaction?
1)My beloved ones. At times, when i have the feeling that i just can't go on, i think of them and say to myself: "Hey, you don't want to leave them, don't you? You want them happy".
2)Every little thing i 'm interested in. That's why when i don't do anything (at times, it happens) i 'm very afraid of depression: sooner or later it comes. Yesterday i learned a new word (in Spanish) and that made me smile.
3)The fact that i have a home, a bed, food, good health. Yes, i really enjoy these things, i 'm not unthankful. I go to sleep and i say "thank you" to life, because i have a bed, and then i smile.
4)The possibilities make my present more bearable.

Corylea said:
Who knows maybe I would get old enough to see Greece getting out of financial -tragedy- crisis.
I hope for this, too. Who knows...

Corylea said:
When life is good, the moment. When life is bad, the hope for a better tomorrow.
I usually think of this. But, lately, i had enough of these "things will get better" moments and i just want to enjoy the present! I know, every moment passes for ever, i knew that since childhood. "The boo-boo hurts now, but it won't hurt tommorow". I 'm just tired, so tired, that i don't want to be "strong" any more. I want to be left in peace.

Corylea said:
I'd love to say that my Art gives me all the reason, but it doesn't. It enables me to do many things I find important, such as commenting on human nature, truly representing a story or character, hopefully allowing the audience as well as me to go through catharsis.But in the end, it's all for the people I love.
I was thinking of you, Silver! I 'm so glad you 're still here. Thank you for this post, wise as allways!

Corylea said:
happiness is not reaching your goal but enjoy what you've got.
So true...

It's good i found your topic today, Cory. I had a very traumatic experience a few days back and when it was over i felt like i 'd been reborn. But, as days pass, i feel more empty. Today i was in melancholy since morning. And then i saw your topic. In a strange way, i 'm better now. Maybe because i see i 'm not alone in shity days? What an egoistic thought! Anyway, thank you for this disscussion, and i wish you and everyone here good days.

Yeah those bad days do suck. And I mean they suck badly. I usually wake up with a sense of "damn, I woke up again" so yeah. Awful feeling. Hopefully you've regained your spirit and are in a merry mood again :)

For me it's games. I just really love games. Only real reason why haven't given up. I just love the shit out of them. I'm really passionate about them and have decided to start studying game design and narratology as a result of it. No pro yet but hell, I'm getting there! And my family is also a source of happiness for me. I've been so fortunate to get the bestest mom in the whole universe!! Rawr, she's a damn badass :D And my kid brother is likewise fantastic, though annoying as hell. Puberty, y u so frustrating!

Nothing more to add I guess. I try to stay focused on games and my family for the most time. I'd probably go insane otherwise ^^

Awesome thread by the way!

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality, and likes that turned into love.

Life doesn’t give you the people you want. It gives you the people you need; to help you, to hurt you, to love you, to leave you, and to make you into the person you were meant to be.

If you have the opportunity to play this game called life, you have to appreciate every moment. A lot of people don’t appreciate their moment until it’s passed.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Mahatma Gandhi

my wife.
my friends.
music.
books.

and cooking.
I'm an IT guy, so cooking is some amazing balancing work for me. manual work, sensory excitement, going to the wet markets/farmers markets early in the morning to get nice foodstuffs (can't wait for spring to begin, bit tired now of mostly root veggies, although some fish are very nice and fat in winter), taking time to cook stuff slowly over hours, sharpening my knives on water stones, using the same base item (say, a roast pork shoulder) over a week in many different ways ... the feeling that you actually made something real, that can be looked at, touched, tasted, smelled, even eaten, love it! and even more so because it can (and will) draw a smile on your guests' faces :)

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/font]

“Hope is like the sun, which,
as we journey toward it,
casts the shadow
of our burden behind us.”
[/font]

~ Samuel Smiles​
[/font]

There is an Indian belief that everyone is a house of four rooms: a physical, a mental, an emotional and a spiritual room. Most of us tend to live in one room most of the time, but unless we go into every room every day, even if only to keep it aired, we are not complete. -- Rumer Godden--House of Four Rooms​

I'm gonna work a little necromancy on this thread. Hope your power situation has improved Pangaea />

I can't say this without sounding like a cheesy berk, o well /> My best bud here is a huge part. I really miss her during the school year. If not for her, I doubt I'd even return home during the break.

There is an Indian belief that everyone is a house of four rooms: a physical, a mental, an emotional and a spiritual room.
Most of us tend to live in one room most of the time, but unless we go into every room every day, even if only to keep it aired, we are not complete.
-- Rumer Godden--House of Four Rooms

That makes a lot of sense, and its quite elegant. Sure not easy to do all the time either.

Curiosity. There are a lot of things about this world I want to know. Though death may turn out to be pretty informative as well - I'll learn at last if there is some sort of an afterlife, reincarnation, or something beyond. Or may be not.

Oh, yeah, video games take the second place.

Simple things I guess: Work, learning, video games, hm seem to have ran out.

Oh.
The drink. Can't forget that.

Watching people who "faqed" me, betrayed me, stepped over me and double crossed me, get destroyed; financially, healthily, mortally for themselves or their relatives... Those who are being dicks and jackasses, will ultimately have their balls cut off by destiny. Being there at the right moment to watch it, totally makes your life worth living. Even if it were like sit not ten minutes ago.

"Eleven Hints for Life"

1. It hurts to love someone and not be loved in return.

But what is more painful is to love someone and never

find the courage to let that person know how you feel.

2. A sad thing in life is when you meet someone who

means a lot to you, only to find out in the end that it was

never meant to be and you just have to let go.

3. The best kind of friend is the kind you can sit on a

porch swing with, never say a word, and then walk away

feeling like it was the best conversation you've ever had.

4. It's true that we don't know what we've got until we lose

it, but it's also true that we don't know what we've been

missing until it arrives.

5. It takes only a minute to get a crush on someone, an

hour to like someone, and a day to love someone-but it

takes a lifetime to forget someone.

6. Don't go for looks, they can deceive. Don't go for wealth,

even that fades away. Go for someone who makes you

smile because it takes only a smile to make a dark day

seem bright.

7. Dream what you want to dream, go where you want to go,

be what you want to be. Because you have only one life and

one chance to do all the things you want to do.

8. Always put yourself in the other's shoes. If you feel that it

hurts you, it probably hurts the person too.

9. A careless word may kindle strife. A cruel word may wreck

a life. A timely word may level stress. But a loving word may

heal and bless.

10. The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best

of everything they just make the most of everything that comes

along their way.

11. Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, ends with

a tear. When you were born, you were crying and everyone

around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die,

you're the one smiling and everyone around you is crying.

- Unknown

Her hair was up in a ponytail

Her favorite dress tied with a bow

Today was Daddy's Day at school

And she couldn't wait to go.

But her mommy tried to tell her,

That she probably should stay home.

Why the kids might not understand,

If she went to school alone.

But she was not afraid;

She knew just what to say.

What to tell her classmates

Of why he wasn't there today.

But still her mother worried,

For her to face this day alone.

And that was why once again,

She tried to keep her daughter home.

But the little girl went to school,

Eager to tell them all.

About a dad she never sees,

A dad who never calls.

There were daddies along the wall in back,

For everyone to meet

Children squirming impatently,

Anxious in their seats.

One by one the teacher called,

Each student from the class.

To introduce their daddy,

As seconds slowly passed.

At last the teacher called her name,

Every child turned to stare.

Each of them was searching,

For a man who wasn't there.

"Where's her daddy at?"

She heard a boy call out.

"She probably doesn't have one"

Another student dared to shout.

And from somewhere near the back,

She heard a daddy say,

"Looks like another deadbeat dad,

Too busy to waste his day."

The words did not offened her,

As she smiled up at her mom.

And looked back at her teacher,

Who told her to go on.

And with hands behind her back,

Slowly she began to speak.

And out from the mouth of a child,

Came words incredibly unique.

"My daddy couldn't be here,

Because he lives so far away.

But I know he wishes he could be,

Since this is such a special day.

And though you cannot meet him,

I wanted you to know.

All about my daddy,

And how much he loves me so.

He loved to tell me stories

He taught me to ride my bike.

He surprised me with pink roses,

And taught me to fly a kite.

We used to share fudge sundaes,

and ice cream in a cone.

And though you cannot see him,

I'm not standing here alone.

Cause my daddy's always with me

Even though we are apart.

I know because he told me,

He'll forever be in my heart."

With that, her little hand reached up,

and lay across her chest.

Feeling her own heartbeat,

Beneath her favorite dress.

And from somewhere in the crowd of dads,

Her mother stood in tears.

Proudly watching her daughter,

Who was wise beyond her years.

For she stood up for the love

Of a man not in her life.

Doing what was best for her,

Doing what was right.

And when she dropped her hand back down,

Staring straight into the crowd.

She finished with a voice so soft,

But its message clear and loud.

"I love my daddy very much,

He's my shining star.

And if he could he'd be here,

But heaven's just too far.

You see he was a fireman

And died just this past year.

When airplanes hit the towers

And taught Americans to fear.

But sometimes when I close my eyes,

It's like he never went away."

And then she closes her eyes,

And saw him there that day.

And to her mother's amazement,

She witnessed with surprise.

A room full of daddies and children,

All starting to close their eyes.

Who knows what they say before them,

Who knows what they felt inside.

Perhaps for merely a second,

They saw him at her side.

"I know you're with me Daddy."

To the silence she called out.

And what happened next made believers,

Of those once filled with doubt.

Not one in that room could explain it,

For each of their eyes had been closed.

But there on the desk beside her,

Was a fragrant long-stemmed pink rose.

And a child was blessed, if only for a moment,

By the love of her shining bright star.

And given the gift of believing,

That heaven is never too far

- From the poem Daddy's Day, by Cheryl Costello-Forshey

Just saw this video:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=444941718899411

It reminded me of this thread.

If I knew, what would make my life worth living, I guess I would be a happier person.

I've learned that things change, people change, and it doesn't mean you forget the past or try to cover it up. It simply means that you move on and treasure the memories. Letting go doesn't mean giving up... it means accepting that some things weren't meant to be."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom