What needs to happen to fix Monsters

+
Hammadryad comes to board for 4. She goes to 6 with 33% of the leader commitment. Elven Seer is not an engine. Sorceress is not an engine. Whisperer is an engine and a dangerous one I agree, but quite easily removable by 4P cards. Francesca is not an engine. Francesca is like Manuna, but a delayed awkward Manuma who will play for much less value and much much harder to pull.
Alright, let's put it another way. ST has more units to work with even if some get locked / killed. Not all are engines but they need to be answered anyway unless you want things to spiral out of control.

Better?

Guest 4375874

Hammadryad comes to board for 4. She goes to 6 with 33% of the leader commitment. Elven Seer is not an engine. Sorceress is not an engine. Whisperer is an engine and a dangerous one I agree, but quite easily removable by 4P cards. Francesca is not an engine. Francesca is like Manuna, but a delayed awkward Manuma who will play for much less value and much much harder to pull.
how much 4p removal do you have though? You need several removal for R1 and R2 to even keep up with them and Gord still then plays for massive value even if you managed to stop a few. There are just too many targets and ST has the most tutors next to NG so they almost never draw a bad hand.

I left the ST matches with the same conclusion I left the MO matches, I didn't have enough removal after using every removal at my disposal. I'm not a fan of either of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Koshchey in short round three seems to be quite strong...

Last edited:
Koshchey in short round three seems to be quite strong, which - I think - is also a result of the overpowered Self-Eaters. If She Who Knows gets played in round one, bleeding round two is very easy.
how is self eater making koshchey strong in a short round? if I had caranthir koshchey and selfeater in hand I would mulligan self eater 9/10 times (depending on whats left in my deck)

how is self eater making koshchey strong in a short round? if I had caranthir koshchey and selfeater in hand I would mulligan self eater 9/10 times (depending on whats left in my deck)
By winning R1 and bleeding R2 without Caranthir and playing R3 without Self-Eater.
I haven't tried it yet, to be honest. I might be wrong.

By winning R1 and bleeding R2 without Caranthir and playing R3 without Self-Eater.
I haven't tried it yet, to be honest. I might be wrong.
oh so you mean its easier to get a short round thats still strong? bc it was strong before selfeater already

oh so you mean its easier to get a short round thats still strong? bc it was strong before selfeater already
Exactly. But maybe people just overcommit because they're having trouble estimating the value of these new cards, idk.

Last edited:
I want to talk what I observed trying to win against monsters sabbath with northem realms (usually engines). I think its little sad for northem realms because for monsters strategy is quite easy: make sabbath and play cards like witch apprentice. Northem realms engines have no way to keep up then with boosting points and if you want loyality in northem real deck you have zero chance. You will have small capabilities of taking card down in 1 turn and even then opponent will have to many of them. I would like to give comparision witch apprentice and anna stenger.
Witch apprentice: provision cost 5 Anna stenger 7, witch boost itself by 2 anna boost adjacent units by 1. Witch is bronze and you can have 2 of them Anna is gold. Sabbath is harder to destroy than inspiration. You can usually easily even kill Anna stenger as it doesnt boost itself and usually have little points where if you doesnt kill witch at start its harder and harder with every turn. You have to have 2 cards in row to play anna and get 2 points per turn where you can play witch as single card. I think its show that northem realm engines are currently little weak. Alse northem realms dont work with geralt: yrden because cards like nathaniel pastodi and tridam soldier. please fix monsters and northem realms

Guest 4375874

I want to talk what I observed trying to win against monsters sabbath with northem realms (usually engines). I think its little sad for northem realms because for monsters strategy is quite easy: make sabbath and play cards like witch apprentice. Northem realms engines have no way to keep up then with boosting points and if you want loyality in northem real deck you have zero chance. You will have small capabilities of taking card down in 1 turn and even then opponent will have to many of them. I would like to give comparision witch apprentice and anna stenger.
Witch apprentice: provision cost 5 Anna stenger 7, witch boost itself by 2 anna boost adjacent units by 1. Witch is bronze and you can have 2 of them Anna is gold. Sabbath is harder to destroy than inspiration. You can usually easily even kill Anna stenger as it doesnt boost itself and usually have little points where if you doesnt kill witch at start its harder and harder with every turn. You have to have 2 cards in row to play anna and get 2 points per turn where you can play witch as single card. I think its show that northem realm engines are currently little weak. Alse northem realms dont work with geralt: yrden because cards like nathaniel pastodi and tridam soldier. please fix monsters and northem realms
While I agree Witches Apprentice needs a nerf, the comparison to Anna is not a good one. Apprentice is one card that boosts itself. Anna boosts two units which avoids tall play and removal as well as having synergy with several cards and their abilities. Adding to that she doesn't require any setup. As I said I agree with your point about Witch Apprentice but Anna is a stronger card with good reason.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
While I agree Witches Apprentice needs a nerf, the comparison to Anna is not a good one. Apprentice is one card that boosts itself. Anna boosts two units which avoids tall play and removal as well as having synergy with several cards and their abilities. Adding to that she doesn't require any setup. As I said I agree with your point about Witch Apprentice but Anna is a stronger card with good reason.
I think synergies of Anna are little weak, if I play Ana stenger stenger and 2 tridam soldiers on both sides of anna I get 2 points boost and 2 random enemy damage. Random enemy damage is weak in general as it can sometimes boost opponents (skellige) and against engines is usually not enough. But my opponent can play two apprentice on two rows and when I am damaging it is antysynergi with baron or geralt: yrden where my opponent can easily play geralt: yrden as I have anna and adjacent soldiers in single row. And as I mentioned anna inspiration is easy to interfere and easy to kill as it have little points and sabbath is hard to break. Other synergies of anna are daniel pastodi or meve but she is also antysynergi with crew so she cant be play anywhere. But look at it in general, even if swarm my board with frigate kerrack and play meve and vissegerd and not attack monsters to prevent creating sabbath I think I can get like 180 points maybe if I play not safe while monsters can go up to 250 and more. Another argument against that anna is more stronger is that you need 2 another cards to synergie with anna and inspiration and apprentice needs just sabbath and work on her own. Another card I think is op in monsters is this self eater guy. I dont understand why he have the same amount of points as he provision cost as he have powrful synergies while temerian drummer engine needs provision cost 5 and have points 3 and 1 armor so basically you need longer round to compensate temerian drummer. Basicaly monsters have more powerful engines than northem realms and at the same time way better short run. I tried many things like war charriot moving opponents cards between rows and i am afraid its not enoug or maybe not see. Played gwent for about week and get to 12. If disagree about short run of northem reals engine deck tell how would you play.

Pro player here, been in pro rank for last 7 months (when I restarted playing gwent after years of inactivity, I reached pro rank in beta too). Monsters are good, they have a top 5 deck, but still no where near close to syndicate decks, especially iined pockets with bounty. Syndicate won't even let monsters reach sabbath in any of the 3 rounds. Absolutely destroys monsters.

Monsters go very even, point wise, with Spellatael, and edge out old popular meta decks like NR Foltest/stripes or seige, but lose to control heavy NG or SK. Monsters will beat most mill or thin type decks because they put out too much value if they reach sabbath.

I would say the best decks are not much different from last season, in the top 3:

1. Syndicate (Lined Pockets or Jackpot both OP, "The Scoundrel" is completely broken and is worth at least 13 provisions, not 10)
2. SK Reckless flurry Control (still easily beats monsters, lol, you'll be lucky to hit sabbath even one round)
3. Nilfguaard Ball decks with lots of poison/locks and Cahir
4/5. Spellatael or Relict Monsters. These decks both output similar amount of points over 3 rounds, consistently finishing within ~5 points of each other, the winner of these matchups rely heavily on tech cards to determine the winner.

Therefore, all the whining about monsters is just noob stuff. The truth is that both monsters and spellatael are the two best point generating decks this meta, and the decks that beat them also happen to beat just about every other deck (the top 3 decks). I think monsters get the most hate because they've been trash for so long, people are upset they have a viable deck again and streamers have been showing them off so they become popular and everyone faces them in games. But once you get past rank 3, you see tons of SY/SK/NG all day because those decks just kill anything you play and make tons of points in the process.

It's nice that Viy has been replaced with a monster deck that actually has interactive cards like self-eater.

Before nerfing monsters, there are other way more problematic decks that deserve a nerf first, especially Syndicate's unlimited tempo coin broken combos with bounty.

Pro player here, been in pro rank for last 7 months (when I restarted playing gwent after years of inactivity, I reached pro rank in beta too). Monsters are good, they have a top 5 deck, but still no where near close to syndicate decks, especially iined pockets with bounty. Syndicate won't even let monsters reach sabbath in any of the 3 rounds. Absolutely destroys monsters.

Monsters go very even, point wise, with Spellatael, and edge out old popular meta decks like NR Foltest/stripes or seige, but lose to control heavy NG or SK. Monsters will beat most mill or thin type decks because they put out too much value if they reach sabbath.

I would say the best decks are not much different from last season, in the top 3:

1. Syndicate (Lined Pockets or Jackpot both OP, "The Scoundrel" is completely broken and is worth at least 13 provisions, not 10)
2. SK Reckless flurry Control (still easily beats monsters, lol, you'll be lucky to hit sabbath even one round)
4/5. Spellatael or Relict Monsters. These decks both output similar amount of points over 3 rounds, consistently finishing within ~5 points of each other, the winner of these matchups rely heavily on tech cards to determine the winner.

Therefore, all the whining about monsters is just noob stuff. The truth is that both monsters and spellatael are the two best point generating decks this meta, and the decks that beat them also happen to beat just about every other deck (the top 3 decks). I think monsters get the most hate because they've been trash for so long, people are upset they have a viable deck again and streamers have been showing them off so they become popular and everyone faces them in games. But once you get past rank 3, you see tons of SY/SK/NG all day because those decks just kill anything you play and make tons of points in the process.

It's nice that Viy has been replaced with a monster deck that actually has interactive cards like self-eater.

Before nerfing monsters, there are other way more problematic decks that deserve a nerf first, especially Syndicate's unlimited tempo coin broken combos with bounty.
What would you say about current situation of northem realms engine decks? Can they win with sindicate or monsters? Do they can have good short run without commando? Do pro play northem realms engines and if so Can you post link to any deck that is used by them? Just started playing gwent and really liked northem realms, get to 12 and I am destroyed by any new decks like sindicate or monsters.

NR is in a really bad spot right now. I would suggest saving your dust and avoiding them for the foreseeable future. Dunno why but their new cards are super frail and weak. Both Tissia and Leticia both rely on frail NR Bronzes to get much value (so literally even a 4 point removal can screw them over), and Leticia lacks veil making them weak to control decks.

Old NR archetypes like siege and witchers have been badly power crept.

Honestly, it's the worst state I've seen NR in, and I am someone who ran NR to pro rank back in the beta many years ago. An awesome faction to play, but sadly just too darn weak right now. I think their best option is some kind of siege deck, but that only lets them win 1 round, if that.

Syndicate's unlimited tempo coin broken combos with bounty.
Not a pro player here but I regularly beat pro players in casual mode. :beer:

Yes I agree that this bounty stuff is pretty annoying, although i haven't seen it much in casual, yet.

I've tried the new monster cards recently and I think they're decent, but not overpowered. One of their best combo seems to be Mammuna & Gan Ceann, but other than that it doesn't feel too strong, to be honest.

Since I'm a big fan of Alchemy cards, I wanted to include something like an Ermion, so I decided to remove Bloody Mistress and Caranthir and added Whispess: Tribute, and a bunch of Organic cards. I think it's pretty good! Here's the deck list if you wanna give it a try. (That crimson curse is just for the lol, feel free to replace it. Feedback appreciated.)

What would you say about current situation of northem realms engine decks? Can they win with sindicate or monsters? Do they can have good short run without commando? Do pro play northem realms engines and if so Can you post link to any deck that is used by them? Just started playing gwent and really liked northem realms, get to 12 and I am destroyed by any new decks like sindicate or monsters.
I don't play much NR myself so i can't really speak for the faction, but as a MO main i can tell you that while i was playing comp to get to my pro rank (so from rank 3 to pro, that's all i do every season) the only decks that beat me all the time were NR engines (the ones that used many Reinforced Ballistas), NG and SY (the tunnel drill version).

Now that i won't play comp anymore for this season cuz i reached my ranked goal i switched to casual and i'm trying new decks. I can confidently say that with my SK Melusine decks i beat MO 9/10 times. That one time losing being when i get bricked by bad draws.

@kwolonciej

I think this is the deck that kept wrecking my MO deck in comp. But as i said i don't play much NR so i'm not 100% sure.

We can say the same about NG and SY to be honest
Lol, I've seen one NG in my last 20 or so matches. It's only MO or ST and a little bit of SY for me.
Post automatically merged:

Wow, I tried SY and got completely destroyed every single time when I faced MO. Now I switched to Commandos and have a win streak. Probably because NR is easier to play, but I didn't think I was that bad with SY, lol

Guest 4375874

Lol, I've seen one NG in my last 20 or so matches. It's only MO or ST and a little bit of SY for me.
Post automatically merged:

Wow, I tried SY and got completely destroyed every single time when I faced MO. Now I switched to Commandos and have a win streak. Probably because NR is easier to play, but I didn't think I was that bad with SY, lol
might depend on the rank and the skill of the players you face. In Rank 0 it's nothing but SY, NG and ST. All three pretty much destroys MO as someone here said recently since they are all control and removal.

SK is as usual on another level and still unbeatable. Honestly not much has changed. I don't use Sabbath however so my experience may be slightly different. I face MO/Sabbath occasionally and more often than not I can handle them with the little control I can muster from White Frost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom