What OS are you using and why?

+
What OS are you using and why?

Am curious to learn and improve my PC experience from other like minded people

i only use XP because i am forced to use windows to play games and it is the more stable version :peace:the *real* computer here runs ubuntu :)

Vista x64.Need it for this many GPU's and gigabytes of memory. And Vista overtook XP a little while ago ;D

I have Vista 32Bit on my laptop, mainly because it was pre-installed. It's ok for the stuff I do with laptop, like web surfing or writing. I have WinXP on my desktop computer and this is the machine I use for playing. Many games I've played have been a bit buggy in Vista but work fine in XP. I also use the XP computer as a sort of music production center as most drivers are available for XP.

I use Debian Lenny, earlier I used Mandriva but Debian is better I think :) I also have WinXP on my machine only to play The Witcher, older games work fine with WINE for me. I also bought a laptop recently and I'm planning to install Debian there as soon as I get refund for preinstalled Vista :)As for why I use Linux - it suites all my needs and I can personalize it much more than any Windows and with less effort...

Old workstation runs PC-BSD 7.1 Beta 1 32 bit recently upgraded (Distribution is beta. Packages aren't. FreeBSD 7.1 Stable, KDE 4.2.1, Xorg 7.4)New workstation runs Vista 32 bit and PC-BSD 7.1 Beta 1 64 bit.Netbook Samsung NC10 runs XP for games and WinApps and Moblin Linux for fast booting plus the beta PC-BSD and beta Ubuntu as portable dev kits running from a thumb. drive./Dan

Windows 7 beta ATM, Vista Home Premium before. Everything runs OK. I leaved XP's some time ago when I bought a laptop with Vista, so I stayed at Vista. Now "testing" W7 ;D I just like it ;D

I use Vista here I had an Xp and vista pc setup the same way and found that my game looked and played better on vista.

Currently using a bit tweaked version of Vista 32Bit, so that it's somewhat use able (deactivation of "fluff" and some configurations and crap), works quite nice. I've become used to it, and I've got a few things that are dependent on it. And considering that I bought it through work for $20, it's not so bad. I'm thinking of trying out Linux Mint, though on a separate partitions (dual booting).

Well, I am running a version of Windows XP Prof, because of Games.If I could make all my games work flawlessy on Linux, I'd use that :teeth:

XP Pro and W7 beta. Vista is much better than it used to be but it still has too many issues for my taste and the only real advantage is the nicer looking interface. If I cared much about the interface though I would go with compiz-fusion over aero, it looks nicer and requires less resources. In fact I just installed Ubuntu on an OLD sytem(1.4 ghz athlon, 1gb ddr 266, and GEFORCE2 MX 440!!!) and fusion works just fine on it, though emerald did slow things down a bit so I uninstalled that after trying it. Windows 7 on the other hand seems to be everything that vista should have been, who knows maybe directx 11 will be everything that directx 10 was supposed to be as well.

Thanks people for your comments keep them coming It's the only way I learn .As I have no peers here. I only get can you fix this or that from family or friends.And my all time favourite is can you tell me over phone how to fix it. Yeah right! no worries. Everthing I know about PC's is self taught.From building them to installing software. The ridicule from friends and family about loving PC's I can live with because get them on their on and show them what fun PC's are then it's a different tune. But only in front of me when no one else is around. Who is the greater idiot the one who knows about PC's or the one who doesn't in this day and age.

TheSilver said:
Well, I am running a version of Windows XP Prof, because of Games.If I could make all my games work flawlessy on Linux, I'd use that :teeth:
let me list my list of installed games ( that work through WINE )fahrenheitfallout1max payneriddick - escape from butcher bay the witcherdiablo 2vampire - bloodlines

Top Bottom