What other franchise should CDPR take over?

+
What other franchise should CDPR take over?

imo Dune. its like game of thrones in space. very rich culture backstory tons of stuff do to and explore lots of politics. I think CDPR would excel. I hope they look into it. what do u guys think?

Jeez where do i start...id like to see them take over the fallout series from bethesda, the mass effect series and dragon age series from bioware. Any rpg series i would like to see cdpr do. But i like the ones they choose theyre very careful about the franchise's they pick and i like that about them. But def the mass effect series i think bioware could take mass effect and do it even better than the first trilogy. Esp since bioware put it on ice for the time being...would be cool to see them sell it off to cdpr...that would be a dream actually.

Anything they take over, they need full creative control with no restrictions. Personally Game of thrones would be good. I would love them to get a license for shadowrun, a mix between fantasy and future tech. Westworld or something western would be nice. I only read the first book, but thought malazan book of the fallen had a fantastic world building setting. I wish they could get access to the fallout license, but bethesda would have too many restrictions. What about the planescape setting and semi sequel to plansecape torment? There is also ravenloft that create a bunch of different horror worlds to explore and easily add expansions too. I would absolutely love a game in the rifts pallidian universe, but that would probably be too ambitious. Anything done from isaac asimov works would be amazing. Just want to see some really cool original works from books and games. I think I prefer them working on an existing IP instead of trying to come up with something original.

Last edited:
I'd rather see them try for a franchise of their own creation rather than invading others.

Edit - And might I add, if CP2077 turns out to be just another storydriven sandboxshooter with a perk tree, the last thing CDPR should take over next is another PnP franchise.

Last edited:
i dont think they will take over any other cyberpunk related franchises since they now have CB license. as for GoT it would be a dream come true but i doubt they will do anything outside of the witcher universe when it comes to fantasy. the only genre left is space.

animalfather;n8787670 said:
i dont think they will take over any other cyberpunk related franchises since they now have CB license. as for GoT it would be a dream come true but i doubt they will do anything outside of the witcher universe when it comes to fantasy. the only genre left is space.

Ahhh...animal...there are a few others.

High Fantasy (spells, playing as gods, etc), post-apocalytpic, urban fantasy, modern thriller, super-hero, Far-future science fantasy, horror - modern, medieval, ancient, near and far future horror, romance, crime in multiple eras and genres, espionage of the LeCarre and Bond scales, Cthulhu mythos ( horror, but deserving it's own category because I love it), a whole bunch more as well.

Definitely Neuroshima - another pen and paper RPG, only this time post-apo world. Done right would exceed Fallout in my opinion. Waay more interesting general concept of Skynet-like "Moloch". Swarm of its (very vell designed) robots created by Moloch slowly gain more and more land of former USA. Lore, backstory inscredible deep. Man oh man.

Battletech/MechWarrior would be cool to get to play as an rpg.

I have played the pnp RPG of MechWarrior, combined with the BattleTech figure game rules for the mechbattles, once in my life, and I loved it. Since that time I always wanted my group of friends to play the MechWarrior pnp rpg (combined with the BattleTech stuff too of course)... but my friends never really loved the BattleTech/MechWarrior universe as I did, so I only got to play it that one (and first) time at the RPG conventiones I used to go to (Gothcon... Swedens oldest and biggest yearly rpg convention... takes place on easter each year in Gothenburg (Göteborg in Swedish), hence the name)... the GM was a guy from Germany who was invited by one of his Swedish friend who was one of my friends, friends, friend, that year... XD

So it would be cool to get to play in that universe in a more RPG type of a game... and of course give you the option to actually get into a Mech as well for certain parts of the game to wreak absolut havoc. :D

Also... I have seen a lot more people over the past several years start saying that "BattleTech/MechWarrior is like Game of Thrones, but with giant Mechs!". Which is true... except that I would turn it around aand rather say that "Game of Thrones is like BattleTech, but without the giant Mechs" instead... since BattleTech has Game of Thrones beat with about 12 years (1984 vs 1996). XD

what i would like to see most is an original ip from them, a thing that they can go nuts about. a fantasy rpg with a strong emphasys on horror. a darksouls meets grim dawn but with epic story,characters,choices. also the post apocalyptic medival in grim dawn and darksould is a thing i like a lot.

now when i think about it, it kinda sounds like a witcher universe game. but i want somthing original from cdpr.

Calistarius;n8789410 said:
Battletech/MechWarrior would be cool to get to play as an rpg.

In case you didn't know, Harebrained Schemes (of the Shadowrun fame) is currently making a Battletech game. It will be mostly a tactical combat game (single and multiplayer), but it will also sport an RPG oriented single player campaign and other RPG elements. (iirc, at least that's what they said in their kickstarter campaign).

The game is currently in beta, and you can find an hour long example multiplayer battle by the devs in youtube (can't get you a link at the moment, but it's easy enough to find).

Last edited:
I would prefer an original IP as well, rather than more adaptations or Witcher sequels. Although I recall reading it somewhere that CDPR's strategy is to build on established IPs. If they did take over another franchise, I think it should ideally be something well suited to a story driven, "cinematic" game with RPG elements, and of course be more or less abandoned by the original developers but still have good potential if continued.

In my opinion World of Darkness or Vampire the Masquerade in particular. I don't think anyone could do it better, and if you've played Witcher and Bloodlines you know I'm right.

Vampire gets so much love (deservedly of course), but personally I'd much rather see a proper Werewolf: The Apocalypse -game for the PC. Proper tribal intrigue and battles with the Wyrm, especially against the Shadow Dancers. Ripping vampires into little pieces left and right, facing off against a nexus crawler, using all kinds of amazing gifts like turning yourself into silver, shooting sunlight or running in the sky, sidestepping into the penumbra, traveling deeper into the umbra to meet the greater spirits, and if possible, have all kinds of fera in the game; I'd personally want to play a Gurahl.

The whole vampire stuff gets pretty old if you ask me. Antediluvian, even.

Sken

Forum veteran
CDPR's strength is RPG's with great characters and storytelling, from an franchise in an established universe.

Following on with that philosophy their next franchise would have to be set in a universe that's different to what they are currently doing or have done.

E.g not Game of Thrones or any type of punk.

I am in many minds about what I would like to see them do.

Babylon 5 universe would be a dream for me. Space RPG with an amazing set of characters, but you know Mass Effect exists, Bethesda rumored Starfield and so on.

Shogun, a Samurai game is one asked for frequently, would be a great and very different setting for them.

Tom Clancy RPG, I still don't think anyone has done a good war RPG

I suppose it is good to rotate IP, so players will not get fed up with another witcher. However it need to care for IP, releasing new edition with each generation. So more Witchers for us, but mix it with something.

As for popular genres:
Urban Fantasy, with all vampires hype you could find niche for some modern detective story with super natural themes, kina like Supernatural, or American Gods. TellTale Fable (Wolf among us) was somehow original. It could be World of Darkness universe, however it is owned by Paradox ent so they may have own plans.

Superhero serious. Superhero games are weird unpopular in quantity. We have some spiderman or Batman, and Infamous. But it is so little.

Oriental cRPG is actually good, since we have suprisingly few games in it. Jade Empire was o long time ago.

Game of Thrones is great universe, however i am somehow suprised nobody took it already. Maybe there are reasons for that. :(
Actually there was computer game with Game of Thrones, telltale one. And it is not even big project so license maybe is not that expansive.
This may be better idea than one may thought.

It is hard, since it depends what is avaiable. Some ideas:
Lovecraft Horrors, possibly in Dieselpunk or Steampunk.
Hard SF in Spaaace.
Para Historical Europe with a bit of magic (like 30 years war) with strong folklore.
Warhammer 40k could be fun. It has decent line of strategy and action, but no crpg. When some space inqusition would be hot

Or maybe it is empty question. CP has great potencial for sequels and for being IP. And CDPR is not that big to make 2 big games at some time. And we still want some Witcher in future.

There is also option of taking existing IP (witcher) and making completly different game of it. Playing as noblelord on the quest to become the king? Or rpg but this time as Mage. Or diablolike with some witcher (isometric, more Torchlike) more combat oriented than heavy story. There are different tastes for games.

Last edited:
felixsylvaris;n8792260 said:
And CDPR is not that big to make 2 big games at some time. And we still want some Witcher in future.

The team has currently 200 to 300 people in it, possibly 350-400, and they have plans to expand it to 800 people, then dividing it into 4 other groups. It took them 200 people to make Wild Hunt, so it's possible for them to make multiple IPs.

Lisbeth_Salander;n8790750 said:
They should definetly go for Vampire: The Masquerade, since it's also based on a pen and paper role playing game.

Paradox has said thy would "remake" this

Sydanyo;n8790630 said:
Vampire gets so much love (deservedly of course), but personally I'd much rather see a proper Werewolf: The Apocalypse -game for the PC. Proper tribal intrigue and battles with the Wyrm, especially against the Shadow Dancers. Ripping vampires into little pieces left and right, facing off against a nexus crawler, using all kinds of amazing gifts like turning yourself into silver, shooting sunlight or running in the sky, sidestepping into the penumbra, traveling deeper into the umbra to meet the greater spirits, and if possible, have all kinds of fera in the game; I'd personally want to play a Gurahl.

The whole vampire stuff gets pretty old if you ask me. Antediluvian, even.

there is a werewolf the apocalypse game in development by cyanide
maybe it will be good
they will also release call of cthulhu this year maybe it will be great

Top Bottom