What potion did Keira Metz give to Avallach?

+
What potion did Keira Metz give to Avallach?

Hello,

during the quest "Wandering in the Dark" you can find a red marked potion in Avallachs Hideout. When clicking it, Keira says something like "oh, the potion I gave him was useful". What was that potion? Is there really no info or did I miss something? If there really is no information, that was probably a respec potion (?)

Yes, you missed something. Before venturing down south to the hideout, Keira would talk a little bit about that potion. It delayed muscle and nervous tissue degeneration.

Thanks, guys. I'm already on my second playthrough, please spoiler me since I've completely forgotten what that was.

please spoiler me since I've completely forgotten what that was.
Very well. Keira was, of course, unaware of the details of the curse, however, I believe the potion was intended to stave off Avallac'h's transformation into Uma in some way. If it wasn't related to that, however, it may have been generally linked to his mysterious researches with the Elder Blood.

Why not? It's totally plausible. And could help explain why Yennefer was giving dire warnings about Avallac'h's nervous system and other things being messed up beyond repair, but then he was (apparently) completely fine. Of course there's no proof either way, but there's no harm in speculating :)

Why not? It's totally plausible. And could help explain why Yennefer was giving dire warnings about Avallac'h's nervous system and other things being messed up beyond repair, but then he was (apparently) completely fine. Of course there's no proof either way, but there's no harm in speculating :)

there is harm in speculating when it's wrong, tbh. I like your idea a little, but the potion was used solely to delay his transformation into Uma.

there is harm in speculating when it's wrong, tbh. I like your idea a little, but the potion was used solely to delay his transformation into Uma.

There is literally no harm in speculating about this at all. This is a forum for discussion. Of course the potion is used to delay Avallac'h's transformation into Uma, but I thought it interesting to wonder if the potion could have theoretically had other benefits. No need to be rude.

There is literally no harm in speculating about this at all. This is a forum for discussion. Of course the potion is used to delay Avallac'h's transformation into Uma, but I thought it interesting to wonder if the potion could have theoretically had other benefits. No need to be rude.

You think im being rude? I'm really not being rude, no idea where you got that idea from. You are right, it is a topic and it does lead to a discussion but to discuss about something when the potions effects have already been explained (Keira tells Geralt what it is for) i just don't see the point. It's like me suddenly going "Yennefer has 3 nipples" and then saying "nothing wrong with speculating" when we know it isn't true.

The potions may very well have side effects, but the trial of the grasses i don't believe had any benefits from the potion he took. Also... the potion has worn out by then lol.

I wonder if this potion inadvertently helped Avallac'h survive the Trial of the Grasses too?
Possible.

Trial of the Grasses seems designed to attack the structure of the DNA itself - allowing the addition of the witcher mutations normally. In Uma's case, Yen used this "dissolving of the body from the inside" to extract that curse.

Which means that the curse acted by changing the DNA of Avallach, as well. Though there were clearly changes to the physical structure and to the neuronal connections involved too.

Then, there is the very interesting part about his Umafication: that he, Avallach, was still somewhat present during those "relaxed states of conciousness" while afflicted by the curse; which actually saved his life in the end, if you'd please to remember how the Trial ended: Uma clinically dead, Yen at a loss, Avallach whispering the words of the spell that could save him, Yen picking up the hint really fast and doing it.

His different reactions to the questions ("I need to find Ciri." -> "UMA UMA UMAAA!!"; "How can I help you" -> "... uma?."; "[complex philosophical question]" -> "umaumaumaumauma. uma. umauma.") also looked like there was still some cognitive functions active; he reacted with panic to the question about Ciri; with confusion about how to help him; and with a long monologue about the philosophical topic. Of course, his ability to articulate properly was totally nuked though. But: comprehension and Avallach-like (well, somewhat Avallach-like...) reactions to these topics still existed.

That might have been a lingering effect of the potion, too.

Well. Or the potion really just kept him more or less in his normal shape and state until he had put Ciri into safety and the curse wasn't strong enough to totally destroy any traces of Avallach.

Hm. That latter actually seems more implausible, now that I think about it.

Boils somewhat down to:

- "How long lasting can potion effects be?"
- "How good is Keira at her job?"

I'd say... Keira is excellent at her job, given that she's the one who will come up with a cure for the catriona. And, assuming that she'll use magic and potions to do just that, instead of going to university and starting a medical education: that potion effects can be long-lasting enough to be a cure for a ravaging plague. (Nope, I do not think that she just developed antibiotics as the cure. :p )

So... it's possible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom