what texure is this?

+
what texure is this?

tree texture.jpg
So this is more of a question for the devs I think. I have been given permission by CD projekt RED to port some models into neverwinter nights. and some of the models have this pink/purple texture. It is not just a normal, a plain normal, if you look at the channels in gimp or photoshop, will use the red and green channels and have a plain blue channel and have a black alpha. this has a plain red and blue, it has info in the green and the alpha has grey channel info like a specular map as well.My question is what is it? and how do I apply it to a model?

Last edited:
Doesn't seem uniform enough for bark texture... Shapes are sharp and very irregular... I think I see footprints overlapping!

I'm going to vote heavily trodden dirt road or cave floor.

I think I'm starting to figure it out. So the tree has 2 textures, and 2 normals, one set for the bark and another for the knots and I think they used part of the normals in the alpha as transparency to blend the 2 textures and normals together. But I have not had time to test it all out in the last day or two.

Benzenzimmern;n10958714 said:
Actually, editing speedtree textures, etc. for Witcher 2 is no problem. ;)

Not that...I had guessed the texture was a dirt trail. I confused trees with roads. Again!!!

what texure is this?

View attachment 10955387
So this is more of a question for the devs I think. I have been given permission by CD projekt RED to port some models into neverwinter nights. and some of the models have this pink/purple texture. It is not just a normal, a plain normal, if you look at the channels in gimp or photoshop, will use the red and green channels and have a plain blue channel and have a black alpha. this has a plain red and blue, it has info in the green and the alpha has grey channel info like a specular map as well.My question is what is it? and how do I apply it to a model?

Replace the alpha channel with the red channel. You can read more about this here at DXT5nm Compression.

I did a long LONG write up on what I did and did not do it fast enough for the forums so it deleted it all . thanks for that really. HERE

Attachments

• BEFORE normal.png
    BEFORE normal.png
    300.5 KB · Views: 341
  • AFTER normal.png
    AFTER normal.png
    394.3 KB · Views: 163
Man that really sucked. So in short I used gimp to decompose the image into 4 images RED GREEN BLUE ALPHA and loaded 3 of them up as layers. I then composed the 3 layers back into each channel. I put the alpha back into the red channel, the green into the green channel and the blue into the blue channel and then inverted the green channel sense the witcher 2 is directx and neverwinter nights is opengl. and it worked. thank you hiuuz.

Last edited:
Oh I hope I did not confuse anyone ,this is not the SAME image I posted at the top. that image is from a tree the was made by the Speed Tree software. from what I read in their doc's on their website they store height information in the alpha. I do not know if what I did will work for the speed tree textures, I will have to test them and see. The texture I used was from a item on a table in the tent at Foltest's camp.

Top Bottom