What the hell is this new ploughing version of Gwent?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I'm growing more than a bit weary of this recurring comparison. . . . However, in the interest of instruction, in what ways does it specifically resemble Hearthstone? What particular elements remind people of that game? Vague comparisons aren't much good, nor are they especially valauble as constructive criticisms, so can we have a few concrete examples, please?

I totally agree. Played one round and left the game. The new optic of the game looks great but the gameplay is just aweful, boring and confusing.
I have no idea why you labeled it "Homecoming". It has nothing to do with the game from Witcher 3 or the Beta. Why do a Beta for such a long time and change the game completly???????

The only simililartity is that there are only Gold and Bronze Cards now. Thank the almighty potato that i never spend any actual money on this.

For myself it will end like World of Tanks, i will stop playing and just leave.

And a sidenote: You streamvideos where just aweful as well. All that selfbuttering how good a job they did themelsves... jesus!

I dont get it either.. i used to get back from university and play for the 6 roundwins per day while eating lunch, and it was a fantastic tradition for 1 1/2 years.. Just playing my discard deck, climbing the ladder every season to a certain point. Now, nothing of that is left.. while the game might look pretty neat with the 3D models of the leaders, the gameplay is awful.. Not a single card stayed the way it used to, everything feels dumbed down and there seem to be only a few ways to combine anything.. why would they implement that you can only have 2 cards of the same kind in your deck.. why the food stuff.. it makes things more complicated than they should be. and i know that the beta version had some balancing problems here and there (imlerith ofc), but you could always defeat those players when you were smart. Now it feels like Witcher 3 Gwent, where the only purpose was to stuff your deck with the highest net-power and just play them after another.. Beta-Gwent had so many awesome combinations, like the discard decks i just mentioned.. none of that is left, you cant even build a proper discard deck anymore because there are only like 10 cards left that actually synergize with the discard mechanic.. i really hope they see all the bad feedback and decide to roll back to the previous version.. keep the esthetics, i dont really care, but please bring back the version that was actually fun to play.

Personally, I'm growing more than a bit weary of this recurring comparison. . . . However, in the interest of instruction, in what ways does it specifically resemble Hearthstone? What particular elements remind people of that game? Vague comparisons aren't much good, nor are they especially valauble as constructive criticisms, so can we have a few concrete examples, please?

Because that's the shortest method I could use to explain what they have done wrong. You talk as if CDPR has had no constructive criticism following EVERY SINGLE MISTAKE they have made. As opposed to receiving exceptionally well worded feedback from various sourced and choosing to ignore it in search of their own unhealthy vision.

But I'll entertain you.

Every deck feels the same. Faction identity is basically gone. Rounds don't exist anymore.

You play three cards. Your opponent plays three cards.

You both pass. Early game was pointless, no facedamage was received. The board is wiped clean and we move onto the midgame.

You draw into one of the four game play methods that are confined within your deck.
You play a minion that does a generic thing.
Your opponent counters it with another minion.
You counter their counter with your minion.
They damage your minion but cant kill it. This overflow of health is comparable to 'facedamage' in hearthstone. You opponent is now behind.
You buff your minion so it can't be killed by their next counter minion. You gain effective 'facedamage' on your opponent.

Seriously. Just revamp literally a few things and add leader health pools and we have hearthstone.

Guest 4283771

You guys should really give the game a little more chance. For me personally this is exactly the kind of fun and quality game I expected from CDPR. Not the beta version. To each their own, I guess, but I suspect you will find it is an incredibly enjoyable experience if you can see it for what it is - a brand new, awesome game.
Cheers!

Its not like i want to hate it.. I loved Gwent in Witcher 3 and played the standalone version ever since it came out 2 years ago. To a certain degree, i might not enjoy it because it is so different and i need to get used it it, but right now, it feels like a huge step back. All the cards do generic stuff now like buffing or damaging, which is boring as hell, there is little to no difference between the factions anymore.

Guest 4283771

I can understand that @Shnackta I was probably on the same boat the first few hours of Open PTR. But after messing about the in the deck builder I created (for the first time ever) my own homebrew full Witcher deck with different types of witchers who answer to different situations and I had a blast. I'm still kicking ass and taking names with this deck so it if turns out to be viable in the future meta I'll be sure to share it.

It definitely take's some getting used to. I liked homecoming in the open PTR, but I'm going keep an open mind until the meta settles. It's hard to pass judgments in the first week I have found.

[...] everything feels dumbed down [...] why the food stuff. it makes things more complicated than they should be [...]

So, the game is dumbed down by making it more complicated? :unsure: I think you are misusing both terms. The provisions, or food stuff as you call it, it an important tool to balance the cards. Without it, every bronze, silver and gold would have to be about the same strength on average for their respective quality. Now, with provisions, the devs can balance each card individually, which allows for far more combinations.

Because that's the shortest method I could use to explain what they have done wrong. You talk as if CDPR has had no constructive criticism following EVERY SINGLE MISTAKE they have made. As opposed to receiving exceptionally well worded feedback from various sourced and choosing to ignore it in search of their own unhealthy vision.

But I'll entertain you.

Every deck feels the same. Faction identity is basically gone. Rounds don't exist anymore.

You both pass. Early game was pointless, no facedamage was received. The board is wiped clean and we move onto the midgame.

You draw into one of the four game play methods that are confined within your deck.
They damage your minion but cant kill it. This overflow of health is comparable to 'facedamage' in hearthstone. You opponent is now behind.
You buff your minion so it can't be killed by their next counter minion. You gain effective 'facedamage' on your opponent.

Seriously. Just revamp literally a few things and add leader health pools and we have hearthstone.
Bravo,

But I'll entertain you.

I felt the same 20 hours into ptr. Where as I had 2000 hours old gwent and was never board. I'm hoping some changes in the future can help the balance, faction identity, useless rounds lack of card advatage being important. Feels like arena now, but I'm willing to hang in there for now

Tutorial is crap. Provides nothing but false information and doesn't even mention half of the need to know. Reach, immunity. Etc etc.
Cards draws? Played my friend. Round one he fucked up and spent 3 more cards to win. Round 3 we are back to ten cards each. Why is he being rewarded for making mistakes? Is this designed to be a game for children now?

Beta Gwent:
Simple straight-forward tutorial,
every card felt useful in someway,
every card felt unique,
cards had hard numbers of what they should get you in points: Bronze 11+ Silver 13+ Gold 15+
countless methods of taking down enemy points or boosting your own,
a clean clear looking setup, that doesn't make your head ache,
you could swap your cards every round, just incase you got a bad one (meaning if you played it right and safe you would never get a bad draw and not be able to do anything about it)
you didn't have to click twice to pass, (why do you have to click to end turn after you've played your card??? shouldn't it be automatic? is it because of how some cards work now? there should be ways around that, it's just annoying.
I've never played hearthstone, but it feels like old Gwent, where some cards you just never use because they are literally 1 point with no ability.
That's how this feels.
They had a good game, then they scrapped it for this? why do we need cg looking commanders moving pointlessly on the board?
It just makes it more laggy.

New Gwent:
Overly complex (complex, in being they have a awful cutscene before, and after, and annoying voice overs in between fights) tutorial, that would rather have awful voice acting then tips and actual advice.
"THE ENEMY PLAYED THEIR CARD"
"NOW YOU PLAY YOUR CARD"
you literally can't lose the tutorial unless you try your hardest to.
The new setup is harder on the eyes, less clean and polished, more fancy and everywhere.
Already mentioned the laggy commanders.
They removed some of the old commanders too, because every team has to be an even 4 on commanders?
Speaking of teams, I can't tell the difference anymore.
Northern realms has bears and wolves????
Arachnas Venom is a 2 point unit???
Units who deal damage, units who are pointless points.
Why only 2 rows? and why are the row bonuses back?
It was GOOD they removed row bonuses from beta, it allows for more strategy against and with hazards, but apparently they had to bring it back because they think the reason people like Gwent is because of the awful version from the Witcher game.
Shupe and his store look so much worse, he looked adorable, now he looks sad,
instead of being with the fresh outside like a roaming merchant, he is in some wagon or hut?
And this is all before studying every card in depth just to see how much they butchered everything the Beta did RIGHT.

*So would you like to counter any of the criticism or just say people compare it to Hearthstone when Hearthstone is less than a donkey's turd, and the reality is they just ruined a good game.*

Add ons:
1. Why can you play your commanders on the same turn as another card?
2. What was the point of Beta when you just crush it to the dirt and burn the rubble, then scatter the ashes into the wind?
3. So on top of buying kegs for faster cards which I don't mind,.... you have to buy the game for some exclusives as well?
So it's another buy the game and it still has micro transactions? What a sham.
4. Oh yeah they removed Radovid! Load o' bollocks.

Last edited:
Yup, I think CDPR went a bit overboard with the do over... I mean, the game works great for something like Thronebreaker now, with it's constructed battles, narrative sturcture, etc. - and I hope there are more Witcher Tales to come - but a unique, competitive card game this no longer is...

To be honest, I'm really really sad that the previous version of Gwent is gone forever. I absolutely fell in love with that game. I'm willing to give this version a try. I've only been playing a few hours, so I don't really want to judge it just based on like 5 rounds of Gwent.

I agree the most with this point.
Rounds DO exist, in the sense that there are 3 rounds.. so there are there.
But they don't exist in the sense that it feels like you're playing 2 rounds most games and not 3.
There were so many reasons (previously) why a game would only be 2 rounds or 3 - but now it basically feels like, if your opponent wins Round 1, they MOST LIKELY will not pass Round 2 because we can only have 10 cards in our hand. So if both players have 8+ cards in their hand in Round 2, there most likely wont be a Round 3.

I don't really agree/disagree with any of your other points - I'm still just trying to learn the new version of the game. So I can't really sit here any say that 100% of the time, everything you've describe is happening.

I can tell you how this game is NOT like Hearthstone:
  • In order to play a card you need mana, 1 MP is gained per turn
  • In order to play ranked games, you pretty much need to stay up to date with your card decks
  • This becomes increasing difficult as the game ages, because new card decks are released frequently
  • Each new deck released tends to make previous cards obsolete, so much so that certain card decks aren't allowed to be played in specific game modes.

I mean... I really didn't play a lot of Hearthstone, so I can't really judge that game too harshly - but I left that game for the reasons stated above. I never felt like I could get a handle on the cards, and once I did - a whole new set was released, tons of changes were made (which... lol is KIND of what just happened with Gwent: so I will agree that Gwent is like Hearthsone on that point)

One thing I just fell in love with about Gwent when I first played was that it felt so completely different to Hearthstone. (Obviously, there were some similarities, there are both card games) It really is a shame that the previous version of Gwent is gone forever, but we'll see. This version could grow on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom