What things affect to the boss difficulty? (spoilers)

+
What things affect to the boss difficulty? (spoilers)

Difficulty level is one for sure, also your armor, weapons, potions used etc. Those are all clear things and everyone knows that. And yes I know there is already a thread about Dettlaf fight, but this didn't seem to quite fit in there. This fits to every other boss fight too, but I put it here, since my example is from BAW.

So, I just finished my BAW examination. I have found three different endings and searched both paths, Fable and Orianna. In my first and original BAW tour I managed to get that bad ending where both girls die. In that game, Dettlaf was challenging, but not impossible, I didn't die once. I had Manticore armor back then, but swords were different (better), can't remember which. Quen and Black Blood potions were used and maybe two decotions, I can't remember which.

Now this second game was partly fresh stand alone start and partly reloads from The Night Of Long Fangs quest, towards different endings. This rounds "original" ending was where I let Syanna die and let Dettlaf to escape, so that was obviously easy... But then starts the interesting part. I reloaded from Long Fangs quest and started to progress towards the happy ending where both sisters are alive. This time I had full Manticore set with swords and I only used Black Blood potion and Quen, since my inventory is quite limited in this stand alone version. I barely had to sneeze and Dettlaf was dead, it happened so fast that I barely even noticed it.

Then I reloaded again from Long Fangs and started to progress through Unseen quest, which I hadn't done before. I went to Dettlaf fight happily whistling and very confident on myself. I had that very same and full Manticore set as before and once again I used Black Blood and Quen. Just like before. First part went well, but he killed me three times just when the second part started. I didn't have any chances. I tried to use different swords and more potions and decotions but he still killed me. And I still haven't killed him :D

Every fight has been played with easy difficulty and started basically with identical gear and preparations. Why they are still so different? One is super easy, another is medium and third and last one is impossible? I don't have any special strategy that I could have changed. Does some decisions in the story affect the difficulty too? Or am I just missing something very simple here?

Last edited:
Hm, there was not really a difference in my games.
Also made three endings with 2 dettlaff fights on DM. Every fight was more or less the same. Not easier or harder.

But i don't use black blood on him. It reflects damage , but it's better to not get hit by him :D
And the little extra damage when he's too close is not really worth it.

I had the same issue. It seemed like when I went for the "Unseen Elder", instead of the "fairy land" It was harder to beat him for some reason. I'm glad I'm not the only one who happened to run into this.

I had the same issue. It seemed like when I went for the "Unseen Elder", instead of the "fairy land" It was harder to beat him for some reason. I'm glad I'm not the only one who happened to run into this.

Haha, so it wasn't just my imagination :D

I had same kinda weird difficulty issues before too, like Imlerith was WAY harder in broken bones and super easy in death march, but I couldn't compare those since I was using so different skills and gears.

I killed him very recently both after a visit in the Fairytale-Land as well as after seeing the Elder, and I do not recall any significant differences in the difficulty of both fights. That was also after a reload of the same save file; from before Capture the Castle instead of from the Night of Long Fangs though. Both was on deathmarch, NG.

I ran Ekidhna decoction, vampire oil (with damage reduction skill), Quen, Tawny Owl (and some more potions to fill up lost health after a hit) both times. Not sure if I used Black Blood; I tend to forget to use this one all the time.

What you describe, @Sunsibar, sounds almost like the difficulty went wayyy down to "Just the Story" in your second fight.

Top Bottom